PDA

View Full Version : Banned Words?

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Really?

What words are banned? Can we get a list?

Why are certain words banned? The very idea of banned words is antithetical to a free people.

Brat
08-18-2018, 11:24 AM
I can only think of one. And it is high time to allow it spoken.

Tahuyaman
08-18-2018, 11:25 AM
If they are banned, how could a list be posted?

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Amazing. Banned words. What next, thought police? Hate crimes? Censorship by large private companies?

Brat
08-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Ah, good point. Did I miss something?

Captdon
08-18-2018, 11:38 AM
I, for one, don't want certain words used. I don't want to wallow in the slop with pigs. Yes, I don't have to be here. Yes, I can put people on ignore. Yes, I can read past them. Did I miss any? I still don't to wallow in a pig pen.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Ah, good point. Did I miss something?
An individual was thread banned for using a perfectly descriptive word. The word is used typically as part of a phrase spoken by innocent people caught up by the police through no fault nor actions by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXU4QKeE41Q&t=46s

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 11:43 AM
I, for one, don't want certain words used. I don't want to wallow in the slop with pigs. Yes, I don't have to be here. Yes, I can put people on ignore. Yes, I can read past them. Did I miss any? I still don't to wallow in a pig pen.
Cool. If you don't like a word or phrase then don't use it.

If we are going to be thread banned for using a word then let's get a list.

Tahuyaman
08-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Amazing. Banned words. What next, thought police? Hate crimes? Censorship by large private companies?

Allridythen.....

donttread
08-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Really?

What words are banned? Can we get a list?

Why are certain words banned? The very idea of banned words is antithetical to a free people.

Banned where and by whom? I don't know what reference you are using.
Although one thing I find amusing , telling and scary at the same time is the social ban of the "N: word" for all but people of one race. Anyone sincerely concerned about racism as a whole would reject this motion on the grounds that it is practically the definition of racism!

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Banned where and by whom? I don't know what reference you are using.
Although one thing I find amusing , telling and scary at the same time is the social ban of the "N: word" for all but people of one race. Anyone sincerely concerned about racism as a whole would reject this motion on the grounds that it is practically the definition of racism!
One of the mods thread banned an individual for the use of a word deemed racist. In another case the thread was moved to the Hole. If we are going to have banned words I want a list.

The phrase comes from the frequent plea from someone about to turn their life around that "I didn't do nothing." Of course, for most it actually sounds like "diddin du nuffin."

Will every ebonic utterance be banned?

Let's have a discussion in the public interest.

donttread
08-18-2018, 02:29 PM
An individual was thread banned for using a perfectly descriptive word. The word is used typically as part of a phrase spoken by innocent people caught up by the police through no fault nor actions by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXU4QKeE41Q&t=46s

This is an adult forum where insults and verbal abuse are banned but I was not aware of a list of banned words. upon insulting or abusive posting?

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Why ban any word or phrase?

Chris
08-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Settings, Edit Profile...

https://i.snag.gy/TgeGsU.jpg

Matter of personal preference.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Settings, Edit Profile...

https://i.snag.gy/TgeGsU.jpg
Matter of personal preference.

What is objectionable language? Who decides? Who should decide?

Chris
08-18-2018, 03:02 PM

When you edit your profile, you decide.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 03:04 PM
When you edit your profile, you decide.
If true why would anyone ever be thread banned for using an "objectionable word"?

Why would any message thread be put in The Hole upon the use of an objectionable word if the user has full control over self-censorship?

donttread
08-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Why ban any word or phrase?

I agree about words. Insults and verbal abuse can be banned without banning words.

Common Sense
08-18-2018, 04:06 PM
No one is forced to post here on this privately owned forum.

Mister D
08-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know what specifically is racist about "dindu"? Yes, it's typically a reference to pillars of the black community like Freddie Gray and that lard ass who got smoked in Ferguson but it simply doesn't apply to blacks in general.

donttread
08-18-2018, 04:59 PM
One of the mods thread banned an individual for the use of a word deemed racist. In another case the thread was moved to the Hole. If we are going to have banned words I want a list.

The phrase comes from the frequent plea from someone about to turn their life around that "I didn't do nothing." Of course, for most it actually sounds like "diddin du nuffin."

Will every ebonic utterance be banned?

Let's have a discussion in the public interest.

No I don't think such words, or any words should be banned

texan
08-18-2018, 05:05 PM
With all your your options you don’t have to my good man. Just read above. Kind of doesn’t make sense.

Same people screaming about a bout a free press are banning words.

texan
08-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Shall I post George Carlin’s 7 words you can say on TV.

Captdon
08-18-2018, 06:23 PM
With all your your options you don’t have to my good man. Just read above. Kind of doesn’t make sense.

Same people screaming about a bout a free press are banning words.

If you can avoid them, why are people being tb'd? This is a private forum. The owners decide, not you.

They can do as they please. That was the point/ i just wanted to not waste time on my reasons. That didn't work out well.

I have exactly the same right to opine on this as anyone else. I don't need to use the "N" word to make my point. That's just me.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 06:29 PM
No shit, Sherlock?

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 06:33 PM
If you can avoid them, why are people being tb'd? This is a private forum. The owners decide, not you.

They can do as they please. That was the point/ i just wanted to not waste time on my reasons. That didn't work out well.

I have exactly the same right to opine on this as anyone else. I don't need to use the "N" word to make my point. That's just me.
Why stop at "N-word"? Is that any different than just typing nigger? Is anyone fooled? Why do we give words so much power we fear them?

No words or phrases should be banned.

Captdon
08-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Why stop at "N-word"? Is that any different than just typing $#@!? Is anyone fooled? Why do we give words so much power we fear them?

Your opinion is worth the same as mine- nothing. I don't have to explain my opinions to you. Tell it to the owner. How about this- I don't give a $#@! what you think about this.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Your opinion is worth the same as mine- nothing. I don't have to explain my opinions to you. Tell it to the owner. How about this- I don't give a $#@! what you think about this.
Do you think any of your words should be banned?

jimmyz
08-18-2018, 07:37 PM
There should be no banned words on an internet forum. When I use the words deemed by PC United as forbidden, I receive derision or not by public opinion. The 1st needs internet enforcement IMO.

Dr. Who
08-18-2018, 08:54 PM
For those of you who feel that any forum is bound by the 1st Amendment, please note that they are no more bound by the 1st Amendment than your home, your church or your place of business. If you want a forum without any rules that annoy you - start your own. In the meantime, this forum's owner does not want to attract a racist membership or to be associated with that kind of forum. The use of racist slurs and terms that carry racist implications are not welcome. Not only are they offensive to many of the existing membership, but they attract racists to the forum and create a great deal of housekeeping work for the mods. You don't need a list of such terms because you know what they are and if you don't, a thread ban will be instructive.

Safety
08-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Nothing causes more anxiety attacks from conservatives than restricting their ability to use the n-word.

'murica.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 09:17 PM
For those of you who feel that any forum is bound by the 1st Amendment, please note that they are no more bound by the 1st Amendment than your home, your church or your place of business. If you want a forum without any rules that annoy you - start your own. In the meantime, this forum's owner does not want to attract a racist membership or to be associated with that kind of forum. The use of racist slurs and terms that carry racist implications are not welcome. Not only are they offensive to many of the existing membership, but they attract racists to the forum and create a great deal of housekeeping work for the mods. You don't need a list of such terms because you know what they are and if you don't, a thread ban will be instructive.
Who mentioned the first amendment?

If there is a list of racist terms that are not allowed then let's see them.

MisterVeritis
08-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Nothing causes more anxiety attacks from conservatives than restricting their ability to use the n-word.

'murica.
Do you have a list of words to ban? If so, why?

nathanbforrest45
08-18-2018, 09:24 PM

Wow

I had no idea that was true.

Thanks for your pertinent input.

ODB
08-18-2018, 09:30 PM

'murica.
Damn dollar sign pound symbol ampersand explanation point straight!

nathanbforrest45
08-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Why stop at "N-word"? Is that any different than just typing $#@!? Is anyone fooled? Why do we give words so much power we fear them?

I don't think they should institutionally be banned. However, I do believe as a matter of common decency some words and phrases should not be used. But since common decency is in such short supply these days I guess we will just have to put up with the slurs.

By the way, to enter the fray over "dindo", I think it takes an idiot not to understand you are primarily speaking of an American American. While there is a commercial on TV about a father who is faced with all this children when caught saying "I didn't do this" I think the context dindo is used should put it on the lack of common decency list.

Common Sense
08-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Wow

I had no idea that was true.

Thanks for your pertinent input.

Well, the op seems to be unaware.

Mister D
08-18-2018, 11:08 PM
Well, the op seems to be unaware.
The OP dindu nuffin.

Common Sense
08-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Fucking snowflakes complaining about their inability to post racial slurs on a private forum.

Y'all are so oppressed.

Common Sense
08-18-2018, 11:10 PM
The OP dindu nuffin.

Ok...that's sort of funny.

Tahuyaman
08-19-2018, 12:11 AM

'murica.

That’s an ignorant comment. It wasn’t unexpected though.

Lummy
08-19-2018, 01:00 AM

Why you get the big bucks.

Willie Nelson is in your junk. You like that, don't you? Yeah, you like that.

For those of you who feel that any forum is bound by the 1st Amendment, please note that they are no more bound by the 1st Amendment than your home, your church or your place of business. If you want a forum without any rules that annoy you - start your own.

Things bullies say.

In the meantime, this forum's owner does not want to attract a racist membership or to be associated with that kind of forum. The use of racist slurs and terms that carry racist implications are not welcome. Not only are they offensive to many of the existing membership, but they attract racists to the forum and create a great deal of housekeeping work for the mods. You don't need a list of such terms because you know what they are and if you don't, a thread ban will be instructive.

Animated gifs for avatars should be banned. They are distracting and so very rude. Oops, sorry to drag you into the gutter.

Cletus
08-19-2018, 01:46 AM

'murica.

If I was going to ban a word, it would be the one I placed in bold print.

In most cases, I don't think it is the word that causes problems as much as it is the context in which the word is used.

Who had a valid point for a change. The use of racially charged language generates problems. It creates a visceral reaction in a lot of people. It also tends to attract scum. They see the language in common use and they assume (because most of the people who use such language aren't too bright to start with) it is okay and generally accepted by the membership, which in turn attracts even more low lives and in turn repels potential members who do find such language offensive. It makes us all look stupid. From the perspective of the forum's management team, not permitting language that hurts the forum just makes sense.

Personally, as I have said before, I think it does much to reveal the true character of a poster and that aspect of it is not necessarily a bad thing. This is an argument is which both sides have merit.

Cletus
08-19-2018, 01:47 AM
Animated gifs for avatars should be banned. They are distracting and so very rude.
I would actually rather see those banned than certain words.

donttread
08-19-2018, 06:34 AM

'murica.

Bout that. What would you call a rapper that signs "n" word for living berating a white fan for signing it. Aside from grade school level promotion?
Answer: RACISM by definition. Social acceptance of one race being able to use a word other races can't is racism. I chose not to use the "N" word because of what it represented but have just as much right to use it as any dime store wannabe rapper does.

DGUtley
08-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Right to use it, sure but it still may violate the rules. Rule 3 states:

3. No racial or bigoted attacks (targeting gender, race, sexual preference, or religion).

If the use of the word is perceived that it is used (or believed that it was intended to be used) as a racial attack or insult, then it would seem to violate Rule 3. On the other hand, MV’s use was a legitimate inquiry, clearly not a racial attack, in the mods judgment.

donttread
08-19-2018, 08:30 AM

If the use of the word is perceived that it is used (or believed that it was intended to be used) as a racial attack or insult, then it would seem to violate Rule 3. On the other hand, MV’s use was a legitimate inquiry, clearly not a racial attack, in the mods judgment.

I Was speaking in general terms I do not intend to lower myself to use such a word on the board. I don't think it should be banned , however if it is it needs to be banned for all. Instead of all the subjective worries about intent< IMO

Safety
08-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Bout that. What would you call a rapper that signs "n" word for living berating a white fan for signing it. Aside from grade school level promotion?
Answer: RACISM by definition. Social acceptance of one race being able to use a word other races can't is racism. I chose not to use the "N" word because of what it represented but have just as much right to use it as any dime store wannabe rapper does.

There are some rappers that thinks the n-word should not be used at all. https://variety.com/2018/music/opinion/kendrick-lamar-rappers-should-stop-using-n-word-1202818977/

donttread
08-19-2018, 08:39 AM
There are some rappers that thinks the n-word should not be used at all. https://variety.com/2018/music/opinion/kendrick-lamar-rappers-should-stop-using-n-word-1202818977/

Good on them. Although in truth all sides know this was a cheap set up PR stunt on his part, right?

nathanbforrest45
08-19-2018, 08:40 AM
But the ones that do sell the most records.

MisterVeritis
08-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Fucking snowflakes complaining about their inability to post racial slurs on a private forum.

Y'all are so oppressed.
You have missed the point. Why should we have any banned words?

MisterVeritis
08-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Safety wrote, "Nothing causes more anxiety attacks from conservatives than restricting their ability to use the n-word.'murica.

If I was going to ban a word, it would be the one I placed in bold print.In most cases, I don't think it is the word that causes problems as much as it is the context in which the word is used.Who had a valid point for a change. The use of racially charged language generates problems. It creates a visceral reaction in a lot of people. It also tends to attract scum. They see the language in common use and they assume (because most of the people who use such language aren't too bright to start with) it is okay and generally accepted by the membership, which in turn attracts even more low lives and in turn repels potential members who do find such language offensive. It makes us all look stupid. From the perspective of the forum's management team, not permitting language that hurts the forum just makes sense.Personally, as I have said before, I think it does much to reveal the true character of a poster and that aspect of it is not necessarily a bad thing. This is an argument is which both sides have merit.If you think banning words is a good idea give me your list.

MisterVeritis
08-19-2018, 08:52 AM
3. No racial or bigoted attacks (targeting gender, race, sexual preference, or religion).
Then it is not a specific word as much as its use.

How, then does dindu nuffin fit? It does not point out a race so much as a subset of a race.

Tahuyaman
08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

It doesn't appear that the link supports your claim.

Mini Me
08-19-2018, 10:47 AM

I can handle the objectionable language ok. Its the objectionable posters that I find offensive!

Chris
08-19-2018, 10:51 AM

But how is that intent determined?

All too often I believe it is determined by one or two members being offended without so much as explaining it, and not by a reasonable examination of the context in which it's said, which ought to start with asking the person who posted it.

I understand you don't want outright racists posting here because it attracts more racists like flies. But you also, imo, don't want the overly if not eagerly offended here either, or at least not influencing mod decisions.

Tahuyaman
08-19-2018, 10:51 AM
...Its the objectionable posters that I find offensive!

More self analysis.