PDA

View Full Version : China's one-child rule turns into a time bomb

Mister D
11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Interesting article

BEIJING — China's one-child policy has prevented almost half a billion births but has turned into a demographic time bomb as the population ages, storing up huge economic and social problems for the country.

As the world's population hits the seven billion mark, straining the earth's resources, China can claim to have curbed its birth rate to around 1.5 children per woman since the policy was introduced in 1979.

Without the birth limits, which no other country applies as rigorously or on such a scale, the world's most populous nation would have hundreds of millions more mouths to feed than the 1.34 billion it has now.

But from modern cities to remote villages, its implementation has involved abuses from mass sterilisation to abortions as late as eight months into the pregnancy. Baby girls have also been abandoned and killed.

Continues...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hils5ncOpHmW7qAJhviWJAtgOt7Q?docId=CNG.431f8 929bb859203a81e4e74eac5df3c.aa1

jgreer
11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
So how would you address the problem Mister D?

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM

I'm not a Chinaman. IOW, I wouldn't.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, half of the over sixty population already lives alone.

It's stunning that even by taking such radical action they still have experienced the population explosion that they have. Old is not necessarily bad but old and poor is a definite recipe for suffering. I don't think the problem can be fixed at this point. Additionally it may have been a case where the Chinese government had to pick the lesser of two evils. At least this bought them time rather than the alternative.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Aw, come on...jgreer is trying to play nice :D

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM

He's trying to be a smart ass. He complained about overpopulation on another thread and I asked him what he would do about it. He didn;t like that. So now he asks me what I would do about China's problem as if I were complaining about it. Just a point of fact post.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:13 PM

It's stunning that even by taking such radical action they still have experienced the population explosion that they have. Old is not necessarily bad but old and poor is a definite recipe for suffering. I don't think the problem can be fixed at this point. Additionally it may have been a case where the Chinese government had to pick the lesser of two evils. At least this bought them time rather than the alternative.

China faces serious difficulties.I was surprised that old age is creeping up on China even faster than it had on Europe.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Realistically I don't know what can be done about it. The only thing that gives me comfort is that even though the mean age has gone way up, people are generally much healthier now at that age. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my impression. Sixty isn't as close to the end as it used to be and there are plenty of 60+ folks who are still hard at work :-) I attribute it to improvements in preventative medicine and lower rates of smoking and drinking.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
China's crisis is approaching "incomparably faster" than in Europe, where fertility has fallen very gradually over the last century, Paris-based demographer Christophe Guilmoto told AFP

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:16 PM

China faces serious difficulties.I was surprised that old age is creeping up on China even faster than it had on Europe.

I was very surprised by that too. And there is a world of difference between old impoverished and in need of care in France (for example) than China. China to my knowledge has no comparable safety net and the welfare of the people doesn't seem a high priority of the government.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Realistically I don't know what can be done about it. The only thing that gives me comfort is that even though the mean age has gone way up, people are generally much healthier now at that age. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my impression. Sixty isn't as close to the end as it used to be and there are plenty of 60+ folks who are still hard at work :-) I attribute it to improvements in preventative medicine and lower rates of smoking and drinking.

In the west I definitely agree.if people take acre of themselves what you say is true. They say 50 is the new 40. It's true.

jgreer
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM

He's trying to be a smart ass. He complained about overpopulation on another thread and I asked him what he would do about it. He didn;t like that. So now he asks me what I would do about China's problem as if I were complaining about it. Just a point of fact post.

The term is Chinese. What is your problem? I am here to discuss not be the victim of your constant badmouthing.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM

The term is Chinese. What is your problem? I am here to discuss not be the victim of your constant badmouthing.

The term is Chinaman.

It does not appear that China will be able to do much about it as per the experts cited.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM

In the west I definitely agree.if people take acre of themselves what you say is true. They say 50 is the new 40. It's true.

Yes, I am speaking of the West. I don't know how things work in China (obviously :D) but with the poverty and pollution there, on average I would guess their 60 looks very different from our 60. Of course we have the whole obesity thing working against us as well.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Yes, I am speaking of the West. I don't know how things work in China (obviously :D) but with the poverty and pollution there, on average I would guess their 60 looks very different from our 60. Of course we have the whole obesity thing working against us as well.

I didn't even think of the urban pollution. Yeah, that alone must do some damage.

jgreer
11-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Maybe I can keep you from embarrassing yourself more:

The term Chinaman is noted as offensive by modern dictionaries. Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding the Chinese and other Asians. While usage of the term Chinaman is nowadays strongly discouraged by Asian American organizations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinaman_(term)

I'm curious, do you use that kind of language offline or just when on the net?

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM

I didn't even think of the urban pollution. Yeah, that alone must do some damage.

Yes, the air quality is brutal in the cities. It's probably the equivalent to heavy smoking, which the Chinese do anyway.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM

The term Chinaman is noted as offensive by modern dictionaries. Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding the Chinese and other Asians. While usage of the term Chinaman is nowadays strongly discouraged by Asian American organizations.

If you don't want to discuss the topic you can always try starting a new thread.

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM

:D The term is Chinaman. If you don't like it that's just too bad, potna. I use Negro as well. :o

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Yes, the air quality is brutal in the cities. It's probably the equivalent to heavy smoking, which the Chinese do anyway.

Yes, smoking is quote popular there. Kind of off topic but I wonder if we export tobabcco to China or they grow their own?

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

If you don't want to discuss the topic you can always try starting a new thread.

He's just mad that I called him on his petty game.

Conley
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Yes, smoking is quote popular there. Kind of off topic but I wonder if we export tobabcco to China or they grow their own?

From what I was reading, both I think. The rich there smoke American brands but they also have their own. They also do huge business with fake U.S. brands -

When the Chinese obtained the technology in the late 1990s to reproduce the protective holograms on packs of top Western cigarette brands, a tobacco counterfeiting giant was born. Today, China has become by far the world’s largest supplier of counterfeit cigarettes — producing roughly 200 billion sticks annually. Vessels loaded with Chinese fakes of Marlboro, Newport, and other brands — in shipments disguised as chinaware, toys, and furniture — now stream into ports worldwide. ICIJ traces the path of several groundbreaking cases, including the story of Charles and May Liu, a charming couple whose massive smuggling network helped move a billion counterfeit cigarettes from China into the United States.

http://www.reportingproject.net/underground/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=1

Mister D
11-01-2011, 02:58 PM

From what I was reading, both I think. The rich there smoke American brands but they also have their own. They also do huge business with fake U.S. brands -

When the Chinese obtained the technology in the late 1990s to reproduce the protective holograms on packs of top Western cigarette brands, a tobacco counterfeiting giant was born. Today, China has become by far the world’s largest supplier of counterfeit cigarettes — producing roughly 200 billion sticks annually. Vessels loaded with Chinese fakes of Marlboro, Newport, and other brands — in shipments disguised as chinaware, toys, and furniture — now stream into ports worldwide. ICIJ traces the path of several groundbreaking cases, including the story of Charles and May Liu, a charming couple whose massive smuggling network helped move a billion counterfeit cigarettes from China into the United States.

http://www.reportingproject.net/underground/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=1

Wow. Chinamen ( ;)) will do a cheap knock off of anything.

It's been many moons since I quit cmoking but I wonder what Chinese tobacco tastes like. It's a New World plant (that means American Greer).

Conley
11-01-2011, 03:00 PM
:D Seriously, they make a cheap fake bad quality version of EVERYTHING. Knock it off already! >:(

Mister D
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
:D Seriously, they make a cheap fake bad quality version of EVERYTHING. Knock it off already! >:(

Anyway, sucking down a pack of fake Marlboro reds along with some industrial pollution probably isn't good.

The article says that even if they relax the one child policy it won't matter much. It's such a weird situation to be (getting old before getting rich as a nation).

Conley
11-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Anyway, sucking down a pack of fake Marlboro reds along with some industrial pollution probably isn't good.

The article says that even if they relax the one child policy it won't matter much. It's such a weird situation to be (getting old before getting rich as a nation).

:rofl:

Yes, we can all agree on that.

MMC
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Sheeeee.....Don't let them Dems hear you say that. They already got a bunch of old broads running around in 4-6 in stilettoes that are in their damn 70's, thinking that they are looking good and fresh. >:(

WTF is wrong with this Country. 60 and 70 yr old broads wearing hip-hugger jeans. Wearing Fakes asses and getting boob jobs,tummy tuck and non-stop face lifts. Good thing I don't go out drinking I would have to be extra careful in those dimly lit places. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/geez.gif

Mister D
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Sheeeee.....Don't let them Dems hear you say that. They already got a bunch of old broads running around in 4-6 in stilettoes that are in their damn 70's, thinking that they are looking good and fresh. >:(

WTF is wrong with this Country. 60 and 70 yr old broads wearing hip-hugger jeans. Wearing Fakes asses and getting boob jobs,tummy tuck and non-stop face lifts. Good thing I don't go out drinking I would have to be extra careful in those dimly lit places. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/geez.gif

I didn't go that far!

Conley
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Leave Pelosi out of it!! >:( >:( >:(

MMC
11-01-2011, 03:35 PM

>:( http://No way....how many face and boob jobs has she gotten off taxpayers money? Not to mention I don't go for that Ben-Gay perfume smell. What you into Geriatrics now my brutha? http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/old.gif

I guess if the guy is over a hundred and still can get up.....then 70 might look (gulp) uhm, er, well, like eye candy. ::) :D ;D

Conley
11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

>:( http://No way....how many face and boob jobs has she gotten off taxpayers money? Not to mention I don't go for that Ben-Gay perfume smell. What you into Geriatrics now my brutha? http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/old.gif

I guess if the guy is over a hundred and still can get up.....then 70 might look (gulp) uhm, er, well, like eye candy. ::) :D ;D

Uh...how do you know what Pelosi smells like?

Do you have something you want to share with the group? :D

MMC
11-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Uh...how do you know what Pelosi smells like?

Do you have something you want to share with the group? :D

U forget my brutha.....I had to travel thru SF headed South to MaryJane land. Uhm I mean Orange County. ;D

We got downwind of it in a Hurry. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/poopfan.gif ;D

Conley
11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
That was back in the 70s though, right?

She was hot back then.

:cya20:

MMC
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
That was back in the 70s though, right?

She was hot back then.

:cya20:

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/dontknow.gif..... ::) if you say so my brutha. I mean you would know you are bout a hop skip and jump away from her.....huh? http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/f_run.gif :D