PDA

View Full Version : The Crumbling Monopoly Of Public Education

Taxcutter
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Home schooling isn’t just for scary religious types any more.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/08/homeschool-education-schools/1812183/

quote:
“…Americans across the country -- but especially in large, urban school systems (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/education/largest-school-districts-see-steady-drop-in-enrollment.html?_r=1&) -- are voting with their feet and abandoning traditional public schools…”

“…for the parents we met — among them several actors, a jazz composer, a restaurateur, a TV chef, a Columbia University physical-plant supervisor, and a handful of college professors — it was a practical alternative to New York's notoriously inadequate education system."

“New York's public school system is indeed notoriously inadequate. And, like most public school systems (or public systems of any kind), it's run more for the convenience of the staff and bureaucrats than for the benefit of parents or kids.”

Taxcutter notes:
Sound like IPS (Indianapolis Public Schools).

Quote:
“…for many parents, traditional schooling is no longer the automatic default choice.”

“Traditional public schools haven't changed much for decades (and to the extent they have, they've mostly gotten worse).”

“…the risk is that the outflow of kids will turn from a trickle into a flood. At some point, it's a death-spiral: As kids (often the best students) leave because schools are "notoriously inadequate," the schools become even more notoriously inadequate, and funding -- which is computed on a per-pupil basis -- dries up. This, of course, encourages more parents to move their kids elsewhere, in a vicious cycle.”

Taxcutter adds:
In a period of Depression, home schooling becomes easier than ever. During the bush years parents were on their own and when little Johnny got beyond the 8th grade level many parents felt they had little else to offer – particularly in the math and science field. But with layoff and (particularly early retirements) there are a lot of well-trained pros now either on unemployment or working the breakfast shift at Mickey D’s. A retired engineer can easily teach math and physics. Physicians –forced out of medical practice by ObamaTax, ca certainly teach chemistry and life sciences. In both these cases, the unemployed/Retired pros are far more knowledgeable about their subject than most K-12 teachers.

One also wonders why the K-12 system – faced with an existential crisis – is so resistant to adaptation.

Part of the K-12’s problem is they aim for the wrong target.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/97fc1424-5928-11e2-a698-0019bb2963f4.html

As college become less affordable and les a guarantee of a job, the lower education system must adapt or be bypassed.

Alif Qadr
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
It is about time parents took the initiative in schooling their own children. I recall advocating for home schooling, even in the face of ridicule from certain pro-government circles. Public education has become a tragic offering from a dying system that is on its last "leg" or venture. Schools are no longer safe and I am not talking about violence in schools for some students, either. The curriculum is for the birds being that education is supposed to aid in preparing the pupil for life. Schools used to be an extension of "community" and now they are just factories churning out people who haven't the ability to think on the most basic of levels.
Now more than ever, government is going to fight against parents teaching their own children, absent them. This is going to be a fight which begs the question: Why should a parent have to fight to teach their own child or children?

patrickt
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Even if your kids go to school parents still need to home school. My son was taught by an English teacher than grammar didn't matter and was taught by a history teacher that the Holocaust never happened.

Liberals and their corrupt unions will never quit fighting alternatives to failed public schools.

GrassrootsConservative
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Learning always begins at the home, and then the government tries their hardest to transfer it to the school for the purpose of Liberal indoctrination.

Uncle Slam
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Dudes, you want to read about the REAL mission of public schools, google John Taylor Gatto! You Tube also!

Cigar
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Different strokes for different folks ... but sooner or later, Mammy & Daddy will have to let their little Child go out into the real World. :)

Mister D
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Different strokes for different folks ... but sooner or later, Mammy & Daddy will have to let their little Child go out into the real World. :)

Preferably with an education. :smiley:

Cigar
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Preferably with an education. :smiley:

One way or the other ... people do get an education.

Mister D
01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
One way or the other ... people do get an education.

No, sadly they do not.

Cigar
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
No, sadly they do not.

Wrong ... everyone learns something ... on way or another, good or bad. :)

Mister D
01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Wrong ... everyone learns something ... on way or another, good or bad. :)

Really? :laugh: I rest my case.

Deadwood
01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Dudes, you want to read about the REAL mission of public schools, google John Taylor Gatto! You Tube also!

Not the best ecample.

Gatto first published in 1992 and has only sold 200,000 books in 20 years. He's not exactly reaching the mainstream and he has been dismissed appropriately for some erroneous assumptions.

He is correct in many ways however, but his solutions are seen to be unobtainable.

For a better discourse I recommend the documentary called "Waiting for Superman" I believe it is public domain. It is a graphic illustration of how the lack of need for achievement by teachers translates into 'why bother?" on the part of the students.

But the problem of simply passing on failing students while rewarding incompetent teachers is clearly established in this film. There can be no question about the level of dysfunction in the whole system

Deadwood
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Really? :laugh: I rest my case.

Clearly punctuation, sentence structure and basic communication were not among the "something", but give credit, he did say "something" and not "stuff". That is an improvement.

Uncle Slam
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Not the best ecample.

Gatto first published in 1992 and has only sold 200,000 books in 20 years. He's not exactly reaching the mainstream and he has been dismissed appropriately for some erroneous assumptions.

He is correct in many ways however, but his solutions are seen to be unobtainable.

For a better discourse I recommend the documentary called "Waiting for Superman" I believe it is public domain. It is a graphic illustration of how the lack of need for achievement by teachers translates into 'why bother?" on the part of the students.

But the problem of simply passing on failing students while rewarding incompetent teachers is clearly established in this film. There can be no question about the level of dysfunction in the whole system

When's "mainstream" mean "better?" You heard any popular music lately? I look to Gatto as one who documents the reason WHY he have public schools, why they are the way they are (they simulate factories-prisons for kids), and why no one wants to change the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQiW_l848t8

Taxcutter
01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Speaking to quality.
Here in Indiana all students have to take what are called ISTEP tests. Standardized achievement tests taken after the 2nd grade, 4th grade, 6th grade, 8th grade, and 10th grade. Passing the 10th grade ISTEP is required for a state-recognized graduation. the tests are severely dumbed down. Your cat could probably pass if it had opposed thumbs to sign their name. Overall, public school student pass the ISTEP about 70% of the time. Private school students pass 100% of the time usually six years early (private school fourth graders routinely pass the 10th grade ISTEP test). Home school students are required to take these tests, too and their performance closely approximates the performance of the private school kids. Home schoolers have almost no capability of "teaching to the tests," yet the home-schooled students easily pass where public school students struggle. Motivation, discipline ans knowing somebody cares how you do is a huge advantage for home-schooled students.

Peter1469
01-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I is amazing how poorly people can perform on these tests.