PDA

View Full Version : An Event For The History Books.

Robo
09-03-2018, 09:58 AM
I usually have a self-imposed moratorium on making derogatory statements about folks that have recently passed from the earthly life form for at least a few days after they’ve been laid to rest. But in the case of John McCain I feel a stronger urge to just go ahead and shoot my mouth/keyboard off, because of the “Over The Top” 4 or 5 days of ceremony only befitting a god I had just watched. At first I thought it was just some loving grieving super-sorrowful relative planned event. Then very soon I found out John McCain himself had planned the event before he died.

I must admit I never was an ardent John McCain fan. The “Keeting Five,” “votes with Democrats on worthless gun control laws,” “McCain/Feingold” and last but not least his extra hawkish foreign policy And military intervention ideology. In short in my opinion Ole John never saw a war he didn’t like.

But I think it’s just enough more to say that after watching John’s planned magnificent event for his evacuation from this living world I can only opine that I can hardly believe that there was nary a soul at John’s funeral that thought more of John McCain than John McCain.

Safety
09-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Seems like there are people that are just upset that they will never have the send-off event McCain had. Jealousy/envy are terrible things.

Just AnotherPerson
09-03-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't think it was really just a funeral because really it was too over the top and too choreographed. It was a political move. I see it for what it was. I dont really want to blast Mccain. I am not glad he died like some are. But as per his funeral it was of the likes that we have never seen before. It was politically charged, and it was choreographed to the letter. I call it like I see it. It was mcCain's last pollitical move. Afterall he was voicing his political views even in his last days. He never stopped, he even used his passing to get out his message.

I believe his message was to unite all of the politicians while the whole world was watching and make it so extravagant that it got so much attention. It was to remind the people of the nation we were before trump became president. That is what I think the message was. Because after Trump it is like we just morphed into a different universe and people are starting to forget what we were before. I think they wanted to remind us, and to give the politicians a voice. That is just how I see it. I might be wrong.

I do not agree with most of McCains crimes and all that but he was a patriot, and he did serve this nation. He is a war hero. Because of this I don't want to say anything bad about him, even if I don't agree with all that he was. But he did believe that he was working toward a higher goal so much so that he did it with his last breaths and even in his death.

donttread
09-03-2018, 11:06 AM
I usually have a self-imposed moratorium on making derogatory statements about folks that have recently passed from the earthly life form for at least a few days after they’ve been laid to rest. But in the case of John McCain I feel a stronger urge to just go ahead and shoot my mouth/keyboard off, because of the “Over The Top” 4 or 5 days of ceremony only befitting a god I had just watched. At first I thought it was just some loving grieving super-sorrowful relative planned event. Then very soon I found out John McCain himself had planned the event before he died.

I must admit I never was an ardent John McCain fan. The “Keeting Five,” “votes with Democrats on worthless gun control laws,” “McCain/Feingold” and last but not least his extra hawkish foreign policy And military intervention ideology. In short in my opinion Ole John never saw a war he didn’t like.

But I think it’s just enough more to say that after watching John’s planned magnificent event for his evacuation from this living world I can only opine that I can hardly believe that there was nary a soul at John’s funeral that thought more of John McCain than John McCain.

I certainly did not agree with much of what McCain thought especially his war mongering although you don't have to go too deep into a psychology text book to venture a solid guess why he was that way.
However, we need more like him. Why? Because he went to Washington and did his job which is to work with the other people in congress to get things done. Way too little of that exist today. So way too little gets done.

Hoosier8
09-03-2018, 11:09 AM
I certainly did not agree with much of what McCain thought especially his war mongering although you don't have to go too deep into a psychology text book to venture a solid guess why he was that way.
However, we need more like him. Why? Because he went to Washington and did his job which is to work with the other people in congress to get things done. Way too little of that exist today. So way too little gets done.

You mean like promising his constituents that he would vote to get rid of Obamacare and then did the opposite because of his petty hatred for Trump?

donttread
09-03-2018, 11:58 AM
You mean like promising his constituents that he would vote to get rid of Obamacare and then did the opposite because of his petty hatred for Trump?

No I mean like understanding that healthcare for millions should not be a party line issue and the repubs had failed to present a viable alternate because the free market in healthcare is long dead. And then doing the best unperfect thing he could for the country as a whole? Yeah that's what I mean.

Admiral Ackbar
09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
I have to say the fact that at your funeral people are talking more about Trump than you tells you all you need to know. In many ways.. another win for Trump

Standing Wolf
09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
To date I have posted very little in the various threads about Senator John McCain, and this will be my last post on the subject, in this or any other thread.

Living in Arizona as I do, I believe I have a slightly different perspective on John McCain and his passing than many of you may have. Neither of us was born here; he moved to Phoenix in 1981, as I did twelve years later. Both of us met our wives while in the Navy, and came here after retiring from active duty because our wives were from here. Both of us fell in love with this state and wouldn't have been happy anywhere else. Both of us turned to public service after our military careers ended - his just a wee bit more high profile than mine. Both of us became fanatical Arizona Diamondbacks followers.

I met the man on a couple of occasions, but never really spoke with him at length. I was aware, from people who knew him better, that he had a quick temper, and to be perfectly honest I was one of the ones, ten years ago, who questioned his mental stability. I was wrong, as it turns out, and I regret now some of the things I said and wrote about him at the time.

Despite our opposing views on some matters, I have come to appreciate the essential honesty and toughness of Senator John McCain, and I like to think that in many ways he exemplifies some of the better qualities of many Arizonans throughout our history - and of Americans generally. Sacrifice, honor, contrariness, an honest perspective and a good sense of humor.

One thing that I learned about John McCain, in speaking with those who knew him best - friend and "foe" alike - is that he loved only one thing better than a good fight - and that was getting to know people on a personal basis, whichever one of those things you were, putting all politics aside and sharing a laugh over a cold cerveza...and watching our Diamondbacks play. He knew the importance of putting people and human relationships over ideology, and his sometimes quick temper was more than matched by his ability to forgive and forget a grudge.

John McCain's legacy, to be absolutely honest, is a mixture of the glorious and the not so much...but that's for the history books to dwell on and explore. He was brave, forthright, honest and contrary - a maverick - to the end. To those who value and honor those qualities, he'll always be the hero he always modestly denied that he was.

Sergeant Gleed
09-03-2018, 02:58 PM
McStain's "memorial" was a repeat of the farce the Rodents pulled of for Wellstone in Minnesota.

Hopefully the Final McStain Pig Political Rally will have an effect similar to the success of the Wellstone Graverobbers Rally.

Captdon
09-03-2018, 03:08 PM
I didn't wish him dead but I did wish him gone. His funeral was a circus spectacle. As a sailor I have nothing but respect for him.

As a Senator he was a treacherous liar.He had good reason for his feelings about Trump. He took it out on the whole country.

He will soon be forgotten. The sooner the better.

Don
09-03-2018, 03:18 PM

He was elected by the people of Arizona to do what he said he would do. After being elected he promptly turned into a RINO/Dem. If he would have been truthful about what his real intentions were he wouldn't have been elected. He was supposed to represent the state of Arizona. He said he would get rid of Obamacare. He said he was against amnesty for illegals. He said "Lets build the dang wall." He lied. Why did he keep getting elected? Because people wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Because he had a very powerful political machine in Arizona and was a master at smearing his republican opponents and making people think that
he would be the lesser of two evils against democrats. The same reasons people across the country get fooled time and time again to vote for the weasels who for the most part run our country.

Hoosier8
09-03-2018, 04:46 PM
No I mean like understanding that healthcare for millions should not be a party line issue and the repubs had failed to present a viable alternate because the free market in healthcare is long dead. And then doing the best unperfect thing he could for the country as a whole? Yeah that's what I mean.
So lying to your constituents and doing something for petty reasons is AOK?

Robo
09-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Seems like there are people that are just upset that they will never have the send-off event McCain had. Jealousy/envy are terrible things.

Even if we had the loot, we couldn't out do Ole John. He was a script writer supreme for self-aggrandizement I'll give him that much.

Robo
09-03-2018, 05:16 PM
And just think, all this time I thought Trump was the champion narcissist. Ole John beat his ass at that!

Peter1469
09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I have served with people who died in action. Once their are gone there is nothing but praise. Only the living shitheads get shit.

nathanbforrest45
09-03-2018, 08:51 PM
I would not want to endure what John McCain did as a prisoner of war but I would not consider myself a war hero if I did. He was not a war hero. He was a wounded prisoner of war which I am sure affected his outlook immensely. I also saw him as a turncoat to his party, voting all too often for the liberal position. So he was his own man and kept his own counsel. He was suppose to be a man of those who voted for him.

I wish death on no man but I also won't tolerate hero worship, especially when there are no hero's involved.

Robo
09-04-2018, 07:18 AM
I would not want to endure what John McCain did as a prisoner of war but I would not consider myself a war hero if I did. He was not a war hero. He was a wounded prisoner of war which I am sure affected his outlook immensely. I also saw him as a turncoat to his party, voting all too often for the liberal position. So he was his own man and kept his own counsel. He was suppose to be a man of those who voted for him.

I wish death on no man but I also won't tolerate hero worship, especially when there are no hero's involved.

Actually, he was supposed to be a man of the Constitution, that's what he swore to preserve, protect and give his loyalty to. He failed on all fronts in my opinion.