PDA

View Full Version : Who in hell made that law?

Robo
09-11-2018, 10:34 AM
What I want to know this morning is why in hell is it a punishable crime to lie to the FBI? The FBI can lie to us without punishment. They do it all the time to set up and entrap suspected criminals. Politicians lie to we the people every minute of every day and get rewarded with reelection. I want to know who the hell made the stupid law making it a crime to lie to the FBI so I can put that idiot or idiots on my "never vote for asshole" list.

The Xl
09-11-2018, 10:37 AM
More ridiculous laws=more $$$ for the state, attornies, and the prison complexes, at the expense of the blood of the "guilty" and the treasure of both the "guilty" and the taxpayer.

Captdon
09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
I want to know how the FBI can make you tell the truth under oath. They are cops not judges.

Mini Me
09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Coming next; TRASHING of the FBI and intel agencies, trying desparately to support Trump and his syndicate!

Tahuyaman
09-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Coming next; TRASHING of the FBI and intel agencies, trying desparately to support Trump and his syndicate!

How is this a Trump thing?

Admiral Ackbar
09-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Easy solution here is NEVER EVER talk to them. Even if it seems begin. Just say "I am sorry, I cant risk talking to you"

donttread
09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
What I want to know this morning is why in hell is it a punishable crime to lie to the FBI? The FBI can lie to us without punishment. They do it all the time to set up and entrap suspected criminals. Politicians lie to we the people every minute of every day and get rewarded with reelection. I want to know who the hell made the stupid law making it a crime to lie to the FBI so I can put that idiot or idiots on my "never vote for asshole" list.

I believe it's any federal agent. Yeah they snuck that one in there somewhere. And then law enforcement wonders why innocent people "lawyer up" .
The local cops want your trust and don't have to return it. The federal cops compel your trust without returning it. It's probably best to never answer a federal agent's questions without a lawyer

donttread
09-11-2018, 12:22 PM
How is this a Trump thing?

It's not the law was in place before Trump.

DGUtley
09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't talk to them without a lawyer, and I'm a lawyer.

Beevee
09-11-2018, 12:31 PM

On the assumption you were to not open your mouth at all, for the entire interview, what would be their option, since most of the evidence they obtain is likely to be from the mouth of the interviewee?

nathanbforrest45
09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
The next question is can you be compelled to answer any question asked by the FBI. I would think no because of the 5th Amendment but who knows what the Constitution means anymore, if anything.

nathanbforrest45
09-11-2018, 12:45 PM
On the assumption you were to not open your mouth at all, for the entire interview, what would be their option, since most of the evidence they obtain is likely to be from the mouth of the interviewee?

It is my understanding that if you say anything beyond your name, address and social security number you effectively have given up your right to an attorney, so if you say My name is Blaswell V Peanoodle and I live at 79 Wistful Vista and my ss number is 123-3457-328 you are ok, but if you add and I work for J Arthur Prufrock and Associates then you are in trouble and have given up your rights.

ripmeister
09-11-2018, 03:54 PM
What I want to know this morning is why in hell is it a punishable crime to lie to the FBI? The FBI can lie to us without punishment. They do it all the time to set up and entrap suspected criminals. Politicians lie to we the people every minute of every day and get rewarded with reelection. I want to know who the hell made the stupid law making it a crime to lie to the FBI so I can put that idiot or idiots on my "never vote for $#@!" list.

I have to agree with you on this one. If you lie under oath then yea but just lying when questioned?

Admiral Ackbar
09-11-2018, 04:00 PM

They would have no options other than to end the interview. Know your rights. 5th Amendment trumps them. End of story. Our founders were towering intellects to forsee the abuses of government and how to protect the citizens.

The Bill of Rights.. is an amazing document.

Admiral Ackbar
09-11-2018, 04:04 PM
It is my understanding that if you say anything beyond your name, address and social security number you effectively have given up your right to an attorney, so if you say My name is Blaswell V Peanoodle and I live at 79 Wistful Vista and my ss number is 123-3457-328 you are ok, but if you add and I work for J Arthur Prufrock and Associates then you are in trouble and have given up your rights.

I am not 100% sure that is right. You can shut up at anytime.....Unless you explicitly agree to talk in exchange for some consideration..like a plea etc..

Admiral Ackbar
09-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Remember the FBI is just a police force. They have no special powers that your local Barney Fife does not. Treat them the same way.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Dont+talk+to+the+Police&view=detail&mid=3117131E7FA5BD931B943117131E7FA5BD931B94&FORM=VIRE

Admiral Ackbar
09-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Another important point is that people believe if the Police/FBI are just chatting them up and they tell you you are NOT a suspect that you have to talk to them or it is not dangerous. That is INCORRECT! Don't talk to them!

As the Admiral's Avatar says! IT IS A TRAP

exotix
09-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Hilarious ... just think, if Trumpf hadn't fired FBI Director Comey he would be free to conduct his ongoing criminal organisation (RICO) with impunity ... and Trumphytes would continue to squeal with delight ... *snicker*

donttread
09-11-2018, 06:10 PM
The next question is can you be compelled to answer any question asked by the FBI. I would think no because of the 5th Amendment but who knows what the Constitution means anymore, if anything.

Give them time to reinterpret the BOR's

Captdon
09-11-2018, 06:16 PM

We have the presumption of innocence here. We are not required to help and only a fool does so. It's the job of the police to get evidence. You ought to read what rights we have. You might want them for your nation.

Captdon
09-11-2018, 06:17 PM

No, unless you specify that you are giving up your rights you can invoke them anytime.

Captdon
09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Hilarious ... just think, if Trumpf hadn't fired FBI Director Comey he would be free to conduct his ongoing criminal organisation (RICO) with impunity ... and Trumphytes would continue to squeal with delight ... *snicker*

This makes no sense.

zachroidott
09-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Nah, before that. Well before it.

zachroidott
09-11-2018, 07:11 PM
They would have no options other than to end the interview. Know your rights. 5th Amendment trumps them. End of story. Our founders were towering intellects to forsee the abuses of government and how to protect the citizens.
The Bill of Rights.. is an amazing document.

Mmm...Patriot Act? Guess it depends.

Peter1469
09-11-2018, 07:19 PM

Your best option is to not speak at all.

Peter1469
09-11-2018, 07:23 PM
There are two laws to worry about- lying under oath and lying not under oath.

Dr. Who
09-11-2018, 07:55 PM

The crime is that of obstruction of justice. If [a] person willfully and knowingly tried to protect a suspect (such as by providing a false alibi) or to hide from (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice)investigation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) of their own activities (such as to hide their involvement in another crime), this may leave them liable to prosecution. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters, destroys, or conceals physical evidence. Obstruction charges may also be laid in unique situations such as refusal to aid a police officer, escape through voluntary action of an officer and refusing to assist prison officers in arresting escaped convicts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) Each individual of course, retains the right to remain silent and further plead the 5th in Court.

IOW, if you lie and lead law enforcement on a wild goose chase, causing them to waste time and public funds, you are obstructing the course of justice. It is bad public policy to allow people to willingly and self-servingly pervert the course of justice without penalty. You don't create bodies of law enforcement to then turn around and allow everyone to lie without penalty. You would then render law enforcement impotent.

DGUtley
09-12-2018, 03:28 AM

Immunize me.
Get me a lawyer.
Go elsewhere.
It is my right not to speak.

Admiral Ackbar
09-12-2018, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=zachroidott;2420743]Mmm...Patriot Act? Guess it depends.[/QUOTE

Nothing in the Patriot Act trumps your 5th Amendment rights

donttread
09-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Robo you should turn this thread tittle into a weekly post. I'll bet we'd all be shocked about some of the ridiculous and Constitution busting laws that exist.

Peter1469
09-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Robo you should turn this thread tittle into a weekly post. I'll bet we'd all be shocked about some of the ridiculous and Constitution busting laws that exist.

Do you seriously believe you should be allowed to lie to the FBI? Especially considering that you have no obligation to open your mouth.

stjames1_53
09-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Easy solution here is NEVER EVER talk to them. Even if it seems begin. Just say "I am sorry, I cant risk talking to you"

My rule is never talk to any official from the government without a lawyer present. Never................
Any lawyer will tell you to shut the hell up and invoke your 5th A. Then call Saul............

ripmeister
09-12-2018, 10:47 AM
My rule is never talk to any official from the government without a lawyer present. Never................
Any lawyer will tell you to shut the hell up and invoke your 5th A. Then call Saul............
LOL! I like Saul.

Robo
09-12-2018, 02:13 PM

I think Comey, the FBI, Intel agencies and Justice Department leadership have trashed themselves.

Robo
09-12-2018, 02:20 PM
The crime is that of obstruction of justice. If [a] person willfully and knowingly tried to protect a suspect (such as by providing a false alibi) or to hide from (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice)investigation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) of their own activities (such as to hide their involvement in another crime), this may leave them liable to prosecution. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters, destroys, or conceals physical evidence. Obstruction charges may also be laid in unique situations such as refusal to aid a police officer, escape through voluntary action of an officer and refusing to assist prison officers in arresting escaped convicts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice) Each individual of course, retains the right to remain silent and further plead the 5th in Court.

IOW, if you lie and lead law enforcement on a wild goose chase, causing them to waste time and public funds, you are obstructing the course of justice. It is bad public policy to allow people to willingly and self-servingly pervert the course of justice without penalty. You don't create bodies of law enforcement to then turn around and allow everyone to lie without penalty. You would then render law enforcement impotent.

It has been reported that Martha Stewart went to jail for simply lying to the FBI. She was never convicted of insider trading. So how'd that work?

Robo
09-12-2018, 02:22 PM

I'll give that some thought, seems interesting.

Robo
09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Do you seriously believe you should be allowed to lie to the FBI? Especially considering that you have no obligation to open your mouth.

Is it and should it be fair for the FBI to lie to you with impunity?

Dr. Who
09-12-2018, 05:30 PM
It has been reported that Martha Stewart went to jail for simply lying to the FBI. She was never convicted of insider trading. So how'd that work?
She was convicted of obstruction of justice and conspiracy. She made false statements to the FBI regarding knowingly using material insider information obtained from her broker in order to dump her shares in ImClone before the value dropped because it failed to obtain FDA approval on a much anticipated new drug. Share value dropped significantly the next day when that information became public. She was lucky that she wasn't convicted of the charge of securities fraud, or she would have been handed a 10-year sentence. It appears her broker's assistant ratted her out, otherwise, the FBI would never have known - she was given up as part of a plea deal.

Captdon
09-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Yes. All cops have that right.

donttread
09-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Yup. If you aren't under oath it should be legal to lie. "Land of the Free"

Dr. Who
09-12-2018, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure how being able to lead law enforcement down the garden path and waste time and resources on false information could ever be a useful thing. That's why people have the right to remain silent. Not volunteering information does not pervert or mislead the investigation. Lying does.

Adelaide
09-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Exactly.

Don
09-12-2018, 07:17 PM
You could always do what Tommy De Vito does when questioned by the law. :wink:

https://youtu.be/GMx0VImUtqc

stjames1_53
09-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Yes. All cops have that right.
That's why it is good sense NOT to talk them in any capacity without yer mouthpiece present.

Cletus
09-12-2018, 10:36 PM

I actually agree with that.

Peter1469
09-13-2018, 01:30 AM

Don't talk.

Peter1469
09-13-2018, 01:32 AM

Don't talk to them. I should charge you for that advice.

I have friends high up in the FBI, and I joke with them that I would never answer their questions.

Robo
09-13-2018, 06:42 AM
She was convicted of obstruction of justice and conspiracy. She made false statements to the FBI regarding knowingly using material insider information obtained from her broker in order to dump her shares in ImClone before the value dropped because it failed to obtain FDA approval on a much anticipated new drug. Share value dropped significantly the next day when that information became public. She was lucky that she wasn't convicted of the charge of securities fraud, or she would have been handed a 10-year sentence. It appears her broker's assistant ratted her out, otherwise, the FBI would never have known - she was given up as part of a plea deal.

What about Congress and every "insider" in the federal government that has access to "insider information?" What new drug will be approved, Which corporations are about to get tax breaks and subsidies, where and when the federal government is about to buy property or approve and build a new highway and hundreds of other insider information? How do we suppose politicians and political aids and other bureaucrats go into government as people of meager means and retire 30 years later as millionaires? Why is Washington D.C. and surrounding areas the richest and most prosperous place in America, always unaffected negatively by national economic conditions? What about that insider trading?

Robo
09-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Don't talk to them. I should charge you for that advice.

I have friends high up in the FBI, and I joke with them that I would never answer their questions.

That doesn't answer the question. Should the FBI have impunity to lie to us?

stjames1_53
09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Don't talk.

three words, tho.........Lawyer, Want one...........

Captdon
09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
What about Congress and every "insider" in the federal government that has access to "insider information?" What new drug will be approved, Which corporations are about to get tax breaks and subsidies, where and when the federal government is about to buy property or approve and build a new highway and hundreds of other insider information? How do we suppose politicians and political aids and other bureaucrats go into government as people of meager means and retire 30 years later as millionaires? Why is Washington D.C. and surrounding areas the richest and most prosperous place in America, always unaffected negatively by national economic conditions? What about that insider trading?

Doesn't change the fact that she broke the law.

stjames1_53
09-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Let them. You still don't have to talk to them. The first time you say, "I want a lawyer," they have to stop. Even if they pursue the matter without a lawyer present, anything you might have said was obtained under color of law.
Simply cross your arms and let them lie all day. Big whoop. let them try to lie in front of a judge.

Peter1469
09-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Keep your mouth shut.

Cletus
09-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Keep your mouth shut.

That is good advice, but it goes against the nature of most people. Most people can't just sit there and not respond to questions or defend themselves against accusations. They lack the self discipline necessary to do that.

That is how people get in trouble. They allow themselves to be baited into saying something that comes back and bites them in the ass later.

Dr. Who
09-13-2018, 05:24 PM
If they are caught using that information to gain advantage or manipulate stock prices, they would also go to jail. The laws are in place to avoid fraud. For instance if the principal shareholders in a company knew in advance that the latest quarterly results would be so dismal as to practically devalue the stock, they would be inclined to dump it before the results were released. That would make that stock available to be naively purchased by unsuspecting investors. It would encourage businesses to cook the books to inflate stock prices and then sell off the stock before the chickens came home to roost.

On the other hand if politicians use their insider information to buy up real estate cheaply in places where they know infrastructure projects will cause that property to increase in value, that is not illegal. For one thing, most affairs of government are actually open to public review for those who are interested enough to pour through the results of thousands of committee meetings in cities or follow state legislative or federal House sessions. So yes perhaps politicians are privy to information, but anyone who really wants to know can follow along. Reporters often do. The real advantage that politicians have is the ability to network with the movers and shakers in business who are usually in orbit around politicians. They end up getting advance information about good investments before the share prices increase. Where politicians can be nailed is for corruption by making things happen that will further their own personal financial gain.

The Xl
09-13-2018, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure how being able to lead law enforcement down the garden path and waste time and resources on false information could ever be a useful thing. That's why people have the right to remain silent. Not volunteering information does not pervert or mislead the investigation. Lying does.
Then why should they have the right to lie and mislead to civilians, then?

The Xl
09-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Doesn't change the fact that she broke the law.

When the law inherently favors some, usually the ones writing them, while criminalizing others, for essentially the same thing, it's illegitimate.

Dr. Who
09-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Then why should they have the right to lie and mislead to civilians, then?
An honest person who hasn't done anything wrong cannot be enticed into self-incrimination. Law enforcement can pretend to have evidence that they don't actually have - an innocent person would know that such evidence could not exist. A criminal, not so much.

However, I draw the line at scaring someone into pleading guilty to something that they didn't do because they can't prove their innocence. Additionally, law enforcement cannot entice someone into committing a crime in order to catch them doing it.

Cletus
09-13-2018, 10:06 PM
An honest person who hasn't done anything wrong cannot be enticed into self-incrimination. Law enforcement can pretend to have evidence that they don't actually have - an innocent person would know that such evidence could not exist. A criminal, not so much.

Absolutely not true.

Dr. Who
09-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Absolutely not true.
Short of being framed, or in a case of mistaken identity, law enforcement cannot have evidence that you were somewhere that you were not or that you did something that you did not do. However, law enforcement could suggest based on the fact that they are pretty certain that you were somewhere or did something that they have evidence.

stjames1_53
09-14-2018, 05:35 AM
If they are caught using that information to gain advantage or manipulate stock prices, they would also go to jail. The laws are in place to avoid fraud. For instance if the principal shareholders in a company knew in advance that the latest quarterly results would be so dismal as to practically devalue the stock, they would be inclined to dump it before the results were released. That would make that stock available to be naively purchased by unsuspecting investors. It would encourage businesses to cook the books to inflate stock prices and then sell off the stock before the chickens came home to roost.

On the other hand if politicians use their insider information to buy up real estate cheaply in places where they know infrastructure projects will cause that property to increase in value, that is not illegal. For one thing, most affairs of government are actually open to public review for those who are interested enough to pour through the results of thousands of committee meetings in cities or follow state legislative or federal House sessions. So yes perhaps politicians are privy to information, but anyone who really wants to know can follow along. Reporters often do. The real advantage that politicians have is the ability to network with the movers and shakers in business who are usually in orbit around politicians. They end up getting advance information about good investments before the share prices increase. Where politicians can be nailed is for corruption by making things happen that will further their own personal financial gain.

What the hell does that have to do with keeping your mouth shut when talking to a government agent?
You do know how it works, right? In such cases the burden of proof falls to the agency pressing charges. Remember Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

stjames1_53
09-14-2018, 05:40 AM

However, I draw the line at scaring someone into pleading guilty to something that they didn't do because they can't prove their innocence. Additionally, law enforcement cannot entice someone into committing a crime in order to catch them doing it.

Now that's a lie because your so damned sure Trump has broken the law that you treat him like a criminal without actual proof....or his day in court.
As usual, you are duplicitous.........

donttread
09-14-2018, 05:10 PM

This is America and lying should only be illegal under oath.

Dr. Who
09-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Now that's a lie because your so damned sure Trump has broken the law that you treat him like a criminal without actual proof....or his day in court.
As usual, you are duplicitous.........

What? I was answering specific questions that I was asked to answer. If you click the little double chevron (white on blue) in any post next to the "Originally posted by", you can see what someone is responding to. I suggest you check out what I was responding to before you infer all manner of nonsense that has nothing to do with what was posted.

donttread
09-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Actually , lots of false confessions occur . If you don't have enough info about the crime they'll feed you some. I didn't used to believe it either. But it's fairly common. Long interrogations via taught techniques , holding you in pre-trial jail for months because you can't make bond , etc.

Dr. Who
09-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Actually , lots of false confessions occur . If you don't have enough info about the crime they'll feed you some. I didn't used to believe it either. But it's fairly common. Long interrogations via taught techniques , holding you in pre-trial jail for months because you can't make bond , etc.
Now we are going beyond the bounds of legality and into things that if adjudicated would be found to be crossing the line. That is where the law becomes a function of financial resources and the poor are railroaded because they can't afford a decent lawyer that would prevent that kind of abuse. It's not really legal.

Dr. Who
09-14-2018, 06:51 PM
This is America and lying should only be illegal under oath.
So if your neighbor hates you and calls the police to report that you are menacing the neighborhood with a gun (when you are actually just watching TV or working in your garden and the police show up, kick in your door, kill your dog and shoot you because you have a dangerous weapon like a pair of pruning shears in your hand when they suprise you, that's OK?

suds00
09-16-2018, 02:11 PM
only the president can lie

stjames1_53
09-16-2018, 04:35 PM
What? I was answering specific questions that I was asked to answer. If you click the little double chevron (white on blue) in any post next to the "Originally posted by", you can see what someone is responding to. I suggest you check out what I was responding to before you infer all manner of nonsense that has nothing to do with what was posted.

.......back to that thing that only the people you respond to are the only ones allowed to respond back? Wrong forum/
In this forum, we can respond or post to anyone we want. Now you can try to get the mods to infract me for that, but I doubt it works.

Major Lambda
09-16-2018, 06:04 PM
What I want to know this morning is why in hell is it a punishable crime to lie to the FBI? The FBI can lie to us without punishment. They do it all the time to set up and entrap suspected criminals. Politicians lie to we the people every minute of every day and get rewarded with reelection. I want to know who the hell made the stupid law making it a crime to lie to the FBI so I can put that idiot or idiots on my "never vote for $#@!" list.

Congress did. And lying to a Federal Agent is a felony.

https://www.wisenberglaw.com/Articles/How-to-Avoid-Going-to-Jail-under-18-U-S-C-Section-1001-for-Lying-to-Government-Agents.shtml

Major Lambda

Dr. Who
09-16-2018, 09:18 PM
.......back to that thing that only the people you respond to are the only ones allowed to respond back? Wrong forum/
In this forum, we can respond or post to anyone we want. Now you can try to get the mods to infract me for that, but I doubt it works.
Responding out of context is just weird.