PDA

View Full Version : Another year of gardening in the books

donttread
10-13-2018, 09:09 AM
My best yet, to include over 1,000 tomatoes ( many of them Cheery tomatoes) , over 100 squash and 16 eggplants . A few cabbage and herbs left is all now.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 09:33 AM
My best yet, to include over 1,000 tomatoes ( many of them Cheery tomatoes) , over 100 squash and 16 eggplants . A few cabbage and herbs left is all now.

That is a good season. Do you can any of your harvest?

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 10:24 AM
That is an awesome yield. I really miss having a garden. Where I live now is just too shaded for a garden. But gardening is really rewarding. Although I did cheat I used the weed mat and the watering drip line. But I did still have to go out and water when the irrigation got shut down which was really often. Good job on your garden!

Question, so I am a vegetarian and I have never eaten an eggplant before. How do you eat those? They must be good if you included them in your garden. Not sure why I haven't eaten one.

Mini Me
10-13-2018, 10:34 AM
That is an awesome yield. I really miss having a garden. Where I live now is just too shaded for a garden. But gardening is really rewarding. Although I did cheat I used the weed mat and the watering drip line. But I did still have to go out and water when the irrigation got shut down which was really often. Good job on your garden!

Question, so I am a vegetarian and I have never eaten an eggplant before. How do you eat those? They must be good if you included them in your garden. Not sure why I haven't eaten one.

I used to bake them, then cut them into slices and fry them, with cheese and marinara sauce on them. Mmmmm! Good!

donttread
10-13-2018, 10:34 AM
That is a good season. Do you can any of your harvest?

No, we find ways to freeze it. Some veggies you blanche first, some you cook first etc.

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 10:39 AM
I used to bake them, then cut them into slices and fry them, with cheese and marinara sauce on them. Mmmmm! Good!OMG I am so bad, I have never even had marinara sauce..... CRAP...…. But your recipe sounds great.

Embarrassing moment, I guess I have had that sauce, I just asked someone what it was they said like a pizza or spaghetti sauce ha ha, I guess I have had it so I edited this comment. ha ha ha :)

donttread
10-13-2018, 10:41 AM

We typically make eggplant parm.

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 10:44 AM
We typically make eggplant parm.
So I didn't know what that is but looked it up do you make it like a casserole?

donttread
10-13-2018, 10:47 AM
So I didn't know what that is but looked it up do you make it like a casserole?

More like a lasagna. Layers of eggplant and cheese

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 10:55 AM
That sounds awesome. I will have to try the eggplant soon. I once bought one and never cooked it. I should have just looked up a recipe I guess.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 11:42 AM

I slice them up and bake them. Season to taste. You can cut the skin off or not, up to you.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 11:44 AM
No, we find ways to freeze it. Some veggies you blanche first, some you cook first etc.

I found an article a couple of weeks ago that covered preserving veggies and herbs. Different ways for different things.

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 11:45 AM
I slice them up and bake them. Season to taste. You can cut the skin off or not, up to you.

Can I fry them like zucchini? When I was little my mom used to make egg battered zucchini, that was amazing.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Can I fry them like zucchini? When I was little my mom used to make egg battered zucchini, that was amazing.

You can do that.

I avoid fried foods.

Ethereal
10-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Congrats.

But based on what I've been reading lately, your "year" of gardening doesn't have to end with winter. There are certain plants that can survive inside a greenhouse during winter: LINK (https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B005O1FXNE&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_f4IWBbFEKDCX8)

donttread
10-13-2018, 03:25 PM
That sounds awesome. I will have to try the eggplant soon. I once bought one and never cooked it. I should have just looked up a recipe I guess.

They go "bad", soft and bitter" quiclky so you'll want to buy it and cook it within 2-3 days.

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
They go "bad", soft and bitter" quiclky so you'll want to buy it and cook it within 2-3 days.

That is really helpful information thank you for that. I don't want to waste another one. :) I will buy one next time I go to the store just to try it out. Now I am curious.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 03:37 PM
That is really helpful information thank you for that. I don't want to waste another one. :) I will buy one next time I go to the store just to try it out. Now I am curious.

Some people find eggplant to be bitter. You can soak them in salt water to mitigate that if you wish. Some recipes include instructions on how to do this. I don't bother- I like them as they are.

Just AnotherPerson
10-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Some people find eggplant to be bitter. You can soak them in salt water to mitigate that if you wish. Some recipes include instructions on how to do this. I don't bother- I like them as they are.

Yeah people say that about Kale too, I love kale, too bad it gives me stomach aches. I really like kale. If that don't bother me, I will probably be ok with eggplant.

Peter1469
10-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Yeah people say that about Kale too, I love kale, too bad it gives me stomach aches. I really like kale. If that don't bother me, I will probably be ok with eggplant.

I like to spread kale out on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil and salt on it, bake it, and make "kale chips." Just be careful to not burn them.

donttread
10-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Lots of receipies on the IN. Think CHEESE! LOL

Mini Me
10-14-2018, 12:24 PM

I've made it. Yup, it is good!

Mini Me
10-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Try my mild chile recipe! Its world famous, hehe

I ,make a good enchilada, with gr. beef and cheeses.
I am looking for PT work at a new restaurants, so I can try out the food I love.

Mini Me
10-14-2018, 12:33 PM
I make a unique Killer Burrito. Its like any gourmet burrito, except you brown it slightley in a pan, then split it open like a baked potato and slather it up with sour cream.

I am also an expert pizza chef and have made pizza every different way imaginable and worked at many pizzarias. The best is Sicilian Deep Dish, next is Chicago style.

donttread
10-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Finished pulling the carrots yesterday. Nice batch. Got a few cabbages I'm trying to let mature before mother nature kills the growth.

donttread
10-22-2018, 07:58 AM
So I harvested a few "sunchokes" yesterday. A potato like tuber that grows a sunflower. That'll probably be the last harvest of the year.