PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

Trish
10-16-2018, 04:27 PM
After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. We can't let them.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-calls-to-cut-social-security-medicare/ar-BBOtGyE?li=BBnb7Kz

Hoosier8
10-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Federal receipts a record high. McConnell is right.

On top of that some dems are pushing for Medicare for all which will be in the red soon.

Common
10-16-2018, 04:56 PM
McConnel is wrong and full of shit, they did say the tax cuts would pay for themselves, they have not.

So they give the big guys big tax cuts, then they want to take it from seniors. The GOP is stone cold stupid to even mention they were going to do this right before the midterm elections. This will cost them votes.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 06:07 PM
McConnel is wrong and full of $#@!, they did say the tax cuts would pay for themselves, they have not.

So they give the big guys big tax cuts, then they want to take it from seniors. The GOP is stone cold stupid to even mention they were going to do this right before the midterm elections. This will cost them votes.

Especially since they aren't going to touch today's elderly. They want some long down the road solution like raising the retirement and Medicare age. The raising the age is a Reagan trick. Taxing the benefits is another.

roadmaster
10-16-2018, 06:11 PM
McConnel is wrong and full of $#@!, they did say the tax cuts would pay for themselves, they have not.

Really he was talking about this under Obama care and the left wanting illegals and immigrants entitled to those. Fake news.

Mini Me
10-16-2018, 06:32 PM
McConnel is wrong and full of shit, they did say the tax cuts would pay for themselves, they have not.

Right! This will become the new Dem War Cry!

You wanna see 30-50 million pissed off Seniors storm Washington?

Just AnotherPerson
10-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Dr. Strangelove Not only that. I am sure that before they cut something like Medicare and social security, they would probably cut Medicaid and food stamps first. Watch what happens when they do that. The Trump supporters will probably storm Washington and burn it down. I know lets take from the poor and give to the rich. watch what happens when your nation starts starving, and the fat cats are living large off the backs of the poor.

Americans are ok with us doing it to Yemen, that is what we are doing, trading the blood of children for our own prosperity. Wait till it hits home, and they start doing it to their own people. The people will rise up. It will be war. Our nation will come to ruin. It will look like bombed out Syria the only thing left will be death and destruction.

Yeah not too smart.

roadmaster
10-16-2018, 06:47 PM
The left is willing to give every person who crosses the border SS, Medicare, welfare, jobs, a right to vote, but they claim the R's are trying to take it away. In fact they want to break it with open borders so you won't get what you paid in SS.

Always accusing others at what they do.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 06:51 PM
@Dr. Strangelove (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=907) Not only that. I am sure that before they cut something like Medicare and social security, they would probably cut Medicaid and food stamps first. Watch what happens when they do that. The Trump supporters will probably storm Washington and burn it down. I know lets take from the poor and give to the rich. watch what happens when your nation starts starving, and the fat cats are living large off the backs of the poor.

You make no sense at times. I hope to God that welfare and food stamps go first. I paid for what I get and paid for the freeloaders too.

Why would Trump supporters storm Washington if we cut welfare and food stamps?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Trish
10-16-2018, 06:53 PM
This is absolutely no surprise. No one on the right should be shocked or upset over the republican leaderships plans to take this money and redirect it.

Let's be clear, these were mandatory paycheck deductions. The government withdrew money from working folk's paychecks and put it in "accounts" and labeled those accounts SS and Medicare. That money belongs to the citizens NOT the government. The republicans would be stealing this money if they "cut" these so called programs. They are trying to steal our money and redirect it to other government programs that are underfunded due to the tax cuts for the rich.

This is the republican's form of "death panels" and the republican leadership sits on these panels decided who lives and dies.

Mister D
10-16-2018, 07:00 PM
This is absolutely no surprise. No one on the right should be shocked or upset over the republican leaderships plans to take this money and redirect it.

Let's be clear, these were mandatory paycheck deductions. The government withdrew money from working folk's paychecks and put it in "accounts" and labeled those accounts SS and Medicare. That money belongs to the citizens NOT the government. The republicans would be stealing this money if they "cut" these so called programs. They are trying to steal our money and redirect it to other government programs that are underfunded due to the tax cuts for the rich.

This is the republican's form of "death panels" and the republican leadership sits on these panels decided who lives and dies.

Did you believe your SS deductions go into a "lock box" or a retirement account for you?

Trish
10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Did you believe your SS deductions go into a "lock box" or a retirement account for you?

It should be in a lock box for me but rather it's being given to people that society never believed would live as long as they have.

Dr. Who
10-16-2018, 07:05 PM
After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. We can't let them.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-calls-to-cut-social-security-medicare/ar-BBOtGyE?li=BBnb7Kz

Nothing like taking from the poor to give to the rich. Who cares about a bunch of old people who will no longer be able to afford their medications or uninsured poor people. Are there no workhouses?

Mister D
10-16-2018, 07:11 PM
It should be in a lock box for me but rather it's being given to people that society never believed would live as long as they have.

It's not. I figure you're somewhere around my age (42)? My point is that the government has been borrowing from SS since before you were born. It has long been treated as a piggy bank. The program is in trouble and that's not because of Mitch McConnell.

Trish
10-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Nothing like taking from the poor to give to the rich. Who cares about a bunch of old people who will no longer be able to afford their medications or uninsured poor people. Are there no workhouses?

I truly believe this is the republican leadership's form of death panels. They are sentencing our elderly and poor to death through these cuts.

Mister D
10-16-2018, 07:14 PM
I truly believe this is the republican leadership's form of death panels. They are sentencing our elderly and poor to death through these cuts.
I'm sure you do, Trish.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2018, 07:18 PM
It's not. I figure you're somewhere around my age (42)? My point is that the government has been borrowing from SS since before you were born. It has long been treated as a piggy bank. The program is in trouble and that's not because of Mitch McConnell.

I agree with that but the GOP is or has been adopting the dems strategy of shell gaming the system and leaving things for broke when they're done because, they got what they needed when they needed it - someone else's problem now.

I don't trust either the GOP or dems with social security, or medicare/caid and I believe in social systems like this that should work the way they were initially designed to work.

Mister D
10-16-2018, 07:21 PM
I agree with that but the GOP is or has been adopting the dems strategy of shell gaming the system and leaving things for broke when they're done because, they got what they needed when they needed it - someone else's problem now.

I don't trust either the GOP or dems with social security, or medicare/caid and I believe in social systems like this that should work the way they were initially designed to work.
Oh, I know. I guess my point is that the system is in serious trouble now and ultimately something is going to have to be done. What you described is exactly how successive administrations have treated SS regardless of party. The piper wants his check...

Captain Obvious
10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Oh, I know. I guess my point is that the system is in serious trouble now and ultimately something is going to have to be done. What you described is exactly how successive administrations have treated SS regardless of party. The piper wants his check...

Yeah, agreed

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:28 PM

There was never any money in the trust accounts. FDR passed this. The money was loaned to the Treasury Department as S bonds. Only they could buy them. They paid 3 percent. In those days no one could conceive of 15% inflation.

The theft was not replacing the three percent bonds with higher interest bearing bonds.

So, there was never any money in any account. It was the Democrats that set it up to be used for anything and they did.There are several good, well, workable solutions. They won't be done until the year before the funds go broke.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:32 PM

Trish, I paid into both from every check I ever got. It wasn't your money, it was mine. Still is. You don't get to take my money as long as we can one-issue vote.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:35 PM

No one has even proposed a cut yet.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:39 PM

They will raise the retirement age to 70. They will raise the Medicare age to 70. They will increase the amount of money workers have to pay the taxes on. They will not take any money from me.

Trish
10-16-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm sure you do, Trish.

Trish
10-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Trish, I paid into both from every check I ever got. It wasn't your money, it was mine. Still is. You don't get to take my money as long as we can one-issue vote.

I'm not trying to take your money! hahahaha

The republican leadership is trying to take OUR money.

Trish
10-16-2018, 07:50 PM
No one has even proposed a cut yet.

I'm a planner. I'm planning for the doom and gloom, death and destruction, fire and fury, rage and ......oopsie - I got carried away. hahahahaha

Ethereal
10-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Just like I've been saying.

Fiscal "conservatives" will continue lavishing money on wars and prisons while trying to balance the budget on the backs of the poor, the sick, and the young.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm a planner. I'm planning for the doom and gloom, death and destruction, fire and fury, rage and ......oopsie - I got carried away. hahahahaha

Okay. But not with my money. Remember that your destruction won't happen until I'm dead- I think. Oh, I could have worded that better.

Captdon
10-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Just like I've been saying.

Fiscal "conservatives" will continue lavishing money on wars and prisons while trying to balance the budget on the backs of the poor, the sick, and the young.

Liberals do it. You are really a liberal today. You may not have been before but you are now.

Ethereal
10-16-2018, 08:06 PM

The solution is simple. Stop wasting trillions of dollars on a bloated, corrupt empire. Use the savings to strengthen entitlements in the short-to-medium term so that they can be painlessly reformed over the long term. On the Iraq war alone, the US wasted over two trillion dollars and counting. To put that in perspective, it's about the same size as Italy's entire annual economic output. This profligate spending on militarism is the single biggest burden on the US economy. At least with entitlement spending, it goes towards some sort of social utility. The wars just result in destruction and chaos, which is then used as an excuse for more militarism. Republicans like McConnel are servants of this blood-drenched industry. And so are establishment Democrats like Hillary Clinton. This is bipartisan robbery and fraud on a gigantic scale.

Ethereal
10-16-2018, 08:15 PM
You should be worried. The cupidity of the oligarchs who own the US government is rabid and insatiable. Even though they have already amassed gigantic fortunes through profiteering and other forms of corruption, it simply isn't enough. So they are looking for some way to rob the beggared taxpayer even more. Naturally, their greedy gaze turns to the entitlement programs. They've already been robbing those programs for decades in order to pay for their fraudulent, criminal wars, but they aren't content to just skim them anymore. They want it all.

Lummy
10-16-2018, 08:24 PM
McConnell's timing for this discussion couldn't be worse, with midterms just a few weeks away.

He's trying to scuttle Trump and Republicans because he's a full blood Democrat RINO. He has been nothing but grief for as long as he's been in Congress.

roadmaster
10-16-2018, 08:29 PM
I rarely watch TV and I went of youtube before the shut down, it's out worldwide right now and didn't see him say anything like this in over a year. Are they bringing up what he said over a year now or did he say something recently. I can't find any evidence of it.

Tahuyaman
10-16-2018, 10:26 PM
There are too many lemmings in american society who have no clue as to how an economy functions and what prompts economic growth. Most of these lemmings are on the left, but there are clueless dolts on the right too.

Fortunately some of us know how to ignore these idiots and live a good life.

Standing Wolf
10-16-2018, 10:51 PM
The left is willing to give every person who crosses the border SS, Medicare, welfare, jobs, a right to vote, but they claim the R's are trying to take it away. In fact they want to break it with open borders so you won't get what you paid in SS.

And in the category of STUPIDEST POST OF THE WEEK, we have a winner (above).

Cletus
10-16-2018, 10:57 PM
There are some people with a serious sense of entitlement on this forum.

It shouldn't be a surprise. It is prevalent throughout our population. We have become a society of takers.

I think we should redirect funds to make sure all people currently enrolled in Social Security get what is due them, but accept no new enrollment. Let people use their money to plan for their future or not plan for their future as they see fit.

Trish
10-17-2018, 06:14 AM

It shouldn't be a surprise. It is prevalent throughout our population. We have become a society of takers.

I think we should redirect funds to make sure all people currently enrolled in Social Security get what is due them, but accept no new enrollment. Let people use their money to plan for their future or not plan for their future as they see fit.

Then all money withdrawn from paychecks should be returned with interest to the people.

Trish
10-17-2018, 06:18 AM
McConnell's timing for this discussion couldn't be worse, with midterms just a few weeks away.

He's trying to scuttle Trump and Republicans because he's a full blood Democrat RINO. He has been nothing but grief for as long as he's been in Congress.
What?!!! Come on man.......that's an absurd claim. McConnell is not a democrat. :shocked:

Hoosier8
10-17-2018, 06:31 AM
McConnell speaks the truth. The left melts down.

Don29palms
10-17-2018, 06:39 AM
And in the category of STUPIDEST POST OF THE WEEK, we have a winner.

Yes you won

Lummy
10-17-2018, 07:21 AM
I rarely watch TV and I went of youtube before the shut down, it's out worldwide right now and didn't see him say anything like this in over a year. Are they bringing up what he said over a year now or did he say something recently. I can't find any evidence of it.

Yup.

If McConnell is trying to invoke Reaganomics, SS and Medicare were the thorniest issues back then, and they will be again. If McConnell pushes the fearful over to the Democrats, he is to be vilified just like Obama, Clinton, Gore and all the rest.

But Trish already knows this.

What?!!! Come on man.......that's an absurd claim. McConnell is not a democrat.

A tolken Republican. By invoking Reagan, he will herd voters into the Democrat slaughter pen, where they will be tortured like cattle until they are bled out by laughing demons who find them Hillaryous.

Lummy
10-17-2018, 07:22 AM

What's stupid about it?

Then all money withdrawn from paychecks should be returned with interest to the people.

First time in all the years Republicans have made a major issue of this that I've seen a practical alternative solution suggested. Far be it from your elected officials to say anything as worthwhile or do anything positive but to push your buttons and sound alarms. McConnell is at least as bad as any of them.

McConnell speaks the truth. The left melts down.

When the going gets politically bumpy, McConnell is never to be found.

Lummy
10-17-2018, 07:30 AM
First time in all the years Republicans have made a major issue of this that I've seen a practical alternative solution suggested. Far be it from your elected officials to say anything as worthwhile or do anything positive but to push your buttons and sound alarms. McConnell is at least as bad as any of them.
Pat yourselves on the back, IMHO.

DGUtley
10-17-2018, 07:31 AM
As for social security -- what they want to do is raise the threshold and continue to tax high earners for social security withholding. In other words, continue to steal from high wage earners b/c they can't get their Pelosi together. Currently, social security is not withheld on wages over $128,400. It is going to $132,900 in 2019. Yes, yes, I know -- it's attractive to tax the rich but this is just legalized theft. They've beat this drum to raise this and eliminate the cap for years. That's 6.2% (which your employer matches) taken from your income that you'll never see -- on top of the 36% you'll pay in income tax - and the medicare tax of 1.45% to infinity and this and that and this and that. Let's not forget that anyone over $200,000 owes an additional .9%.

It's theft folks. Social security has been unsustainable for decades.

Captdon
10-17-2018, 08:15 AM
When the going gets politically bumpy, McConnell is never to be found.

Kavanaugh.

Cletus
10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
I have no problem with that.

Either do that or allow the program to continue for those already enrolled and stop any new enrollment. The people who have contributed to Social Security should definitely not be forced to lose that "investment".

Standing Wolf
10-17-2018, 10:30 AM
What's stupid about it?

If someone were to write, "Conservatives want to round up all the black people and send them back to Africa, require everyone ages twelve and up to carry a firearm at all times, and make Donald Trump 'Emperor for Life'", that might actually qualify as being stupider...but not by much. Attributing a list of silly, extreme beliefs that no sane person actually holds to a group of people with whom you disagree on some topics is, quite frankly, retarded. It's creating a Straw Man with a vengeance.

Captdon
10-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Read it again. You are enrolled already.

Tahuyaman
10-17-2018, 10:56 AM

In order to sustain SS for those people, new enrolled will need to be brought into the system.

Mister D
10-17-2018, 11:36 AM
If someone were to write, "Conservatives want to round up all the black people and send them back to Africa, require everyone ages twelve and up to carry a firearm at all times, and make Donald Trump 'Emperor for Life'", that might actually qualify as being stupider...but not by much. Attributing a list of silly, extreme beliefs that no sane person actually holds to a group of people with whom you disagree on some topics is, quite frankly, retarded. It's creating a Straw Man with a vengeance.
That's odd because that doesn't seem to bother you when a certain member does it.

Common
10-17-2018, 11:42 AM
That is not the problem, its given to EVERYONE that democrats can get on it and it That is the problem

People on Ss that are in their 20s and on it their entire lives

Common
10-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Thats an insane statement with no basis of truth or reality

Common
10-17-2018, 11:55 AM

You seem to enjoy demeaning others posts and insuating their stupid because of their opinion. Why dont you try disputing what she said instead of insulting her

Someone needs to tell you StandingWolf that no one views you as the super intellect of TPF
Illegal immigrants could receive Social Security, Medicare under Obama action
Under President Obama’s new program to protect millions of illegal immigrants from deportation, many of those affected will be eligible to receive Social Security, Medicare and a wide array of other federal benefits, a White House official said Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/illegal-immigrants-could-receive-social-security-medicare-under-obama-action/2014/11/25/571caefe-74d4-11e4-bd1b-03009bd3e984_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5c7f4ee3a687

NY they can get medicaid and other public asst.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/james-l-seward/what-benefits-can-illegal-aliens-receive

e
Some states individually give public asst and benefits to ILLEGALS especiallyi California and NY and others

Sanctuary Cities are public asst for illegals

All the states that give illegals public asst and cities that are sanctuaries are DEMOCRAT run

Common
10-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Actually what you have on this forum is some Diehard democrats who KNOW that much of what democrats do is wrong for the country but they WILL NEVER ADMIT it, they try to impress how much more intelligent they are than republicans knuckle draggers but they are so dishonest its sickening.

EVERY single person on this forum knows democrats and their position on ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS is WRONG along with their positions on TRANSEXUALS in womens bathrooms and being allowed to dominate any female sport they get into. They KNOW its wrong but they are too dishonest to admit, so they defend it.

ripmeister
10-17-2018, 12:34 PM
This would just be another avenue in the "Starve the Beast" approach put forth by many conservatives. Its no surprise.

Cletus
10-17-2018, 03:02 PM
In order to sustain SS for those people, new enrolled will need to be brought into the system.
Divert the funds from elsewhere and let the system die.

Hoosier8
10-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Well, you might have something if Mitch actually said he would cut anything. He pointed out that this spending is 70% of the budget. Democrats want to do nothing about the looming crisis with entitlements. Entitlements were in crisis long before the tax cuts.

Obama added 10 trillion to the debt doubling our debt service payments and with interest rates rising those payments will balloon.

Hoosier8
10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
This would just be another avenue in the "Starve the Beast" approach put forth by many conservatives. Its no surprise.

Feed the beast borrowed food? Dems answer.

Tahuyaman
10-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Divert the funds from elsewhere and let the system die.divert funds from elsewhere? That’s how we get into these problems to begin with. SS funds were diverted elsewhere and now there’s nothing in that fund other than IOU’s. Plus, if they let the system die, do you really think they will eliminate the deduction from one’s paycheck? I don’t.