PDA

View Full Version : Convention of States to fix our elections.

RadioGod
10-18-2018, 10:55 PM
I was cruising the internet today and found an older story by The Young Turks. I know they are probably not popular with the right-leaning crowd here. They are usually vulgar people, even by my standards. It looks like Cenk Uygur started his own political action commitee in 2011, the Wolf-PAC, and it has one goal- making a large dent in election corruption.
The Supreme Court cases of Citizens United and Buckley v. Valeo allow for the legal corruption of our elected officials through unlimited campaign spending. By getting State Legislatures to petition for a Convention of States, it would be possible to add an Amendment to the constitution, overruling the Court's decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_PAC

5 States have requested the Convention officially so far, while it has become back-burnered in others, and not considered at all by some. The above link has a rundown by State as to the progress, or lack thereof, has been.
I checked the wording of several of the State's requests, and they are all very similarly worded. Here is the document from my home State:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Senate Joint Memorials/8015-Free and fair elections.pdf

The document clearly cites Citzens United as contary to free and fair elections by allowing the most wealthy a voice at the expense of the people's right to representation. It also seems the call for a Convention of States is limited to just this 1 issue of election reform, and the State's cite each other's calls for a Convention in their own requests. I am not sure if this would calm anyone's fear of 100 Amendments suddely being considered:)
I thought I would post this in case anyone, right, left, or center, was sick of corrupt politicians and our fake-a$$ representation. Here is something to sweat your local State Legislators about when you feel like you have no voice and our elections are rigged.

And their website doesn't say much, I had to dig to find the nitty-gritty. But here it is-

https://www.wolf-pac.com/

Common
10-19-2018, 01:53 AM
How ironic, since 2011 the democrats have embraced voter fraud and actively assist and promote illegal immigrants to vote, like the article I posted last night about the Texas DNC which is under investigation.

They want to flood our country with illegal immigrants and allow them to vote

Common Sense
10-19-2018, 02:06 AM
How ironic, since 2011 the democrats have embraced voter fraud and actively assist and promote illegal immigrants to vote, like the article I posted last night about the Texas DNC which is under investigation.

They want to flood our country with illegal immigrants and allow them to vote
If indeed the Texas DNC was actively trying to register undocumented people, they should be condemned and those responsible held legally liable. So far I haven't seen proof. Weren't people recently going on about the presumption of innocence?

As to illegals voting, the numbers are so few that they are statistically irrelevant. It is something people often claim with no real evidence.

The idea that liberals and the Democrats want to flood the country with illegal immigrants is just nonsense. Just another load of BS that appeals to the fear based voter.

Hoosier8
10-19-2018, 07:02 AM
If indeed the Texas DNC was actively trying to register undocumented people, they should be condemned and those responsible held legally liable. So far I haven't seen proof. Weren't people recently going on about the presumption of innocence?

As to illegals voting, the numbers are so few that they are statistically irrelevant. It is something people often claim with no real evidence.

The idea that liberals and the Democrats want to flood the country with illegal immigrants is just nonsense. Just another load of BS that appeals to the fear based voter.

There is a reason many prominent democrats call for open borders. Is it so they can have cheap maids in their mansions?

Hoosier8
10-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Republicans-
#BuildTheWall (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BuildTheWall?src=hash)-
Defund sanctuary cities-
Enforce #KatesLaw (https://twitter.com/hashtag/KatesLaw?src=hash)

Democrats-
Open borders-
Sanctuary cities-
Abolish ICE

Robo
10-19-2018, 08:32 AM
I think those 5 states that want the constitutional convention just to overturn Citizens United are all Democrat controlled states. The simplistic reason they want Citizens United overturned is because it provides the opportunity for folks with money to buy the amount of speech they can afford in counter to the national mainstream media's domination of the media and thereby the national debate and they're the free mouthpiece for the Democrat Party.

DGUtley
10-19-2018, 08:37 AM
I am all for a Constitutional Convention. All for it. There at things we could tweak. For starters:

1. Balanced Budget Amendment.
2. Term limits.
3. Limiting the commerce clause.
4. Repealing the 17th Amendment.
5. Strengthen the 2nd Amendment.
6. Strengthen the Define Powers Clause.
7. Eliminate the concept of anchor babies.
8. Break up the Alabama Football Team.

Robo
10-19-2018, 08:45 AM
I am all for a Constitutional Convention. All for it. There at things we could tweak. For starters:

I could vote for all of that except maybe #8.

2. Term limits.

I could vote for all of that except maybe #8.

Just AnotherPerson
10-19-2018, 10:31 AM
This is a step in the right direction to end corruption! I think there is a peaceful method of restoring thigs to normal, and this fits in with a peaceful method.

ripmeister
10-19-2018, 10:58 AM

2. Term limits.

I'm in on #8!

ripmeister
10-19-2018, 10:59 AM

2. Term limits.
What about the OP, specifically the Citizens United decision?

Captdon
10-19-2018, 01:30 PM

They showed the forms on the news. I believe what I see. The forms were already filled out and only needed a signature.

Captdon
10-19-2018, 01:33 PM

2. Term limits.

I think #8 is doable.

#2 might pass.

I can't see 38 states for any of the others.

Tahuyaman
10-19-2018, 01:37 PM

2. Term limits.

Some of those are good causes, but the balanced budget amandment is not one of them. That is just a vehicle to mandate tax increases. Legislators could then claim that they were forced by law to increase taxes. P,us it would not result in a balanced budget. Revenues would decrease and spending would not.

Green Arrow
10-19-2018, 02:13 PM

2. Term limits.

Term limits for whom?

countryboy
10-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Oh really? And what are the numbers exactly? Who actually conducts investigations into illegals voting? Please be detailed, and specific.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2018, 04:38 PM
I think #8 is doable.

#2 might pass.

I can't see 38 states for any of the others.

There will never be term limits in this nation.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2018, 04:39 PM
"Convention of states"

...lol

MisterVeritis
10-19-2018, 04:52 PM
5 States have requested the Convention officially so far, while it has become back-burnered in others, and not considered at all by some. The above link has a rundown by State as to the progress, or lack thereof, has been.
I checked the wording of several of the State's requests, and they are all very similarly worded. Here is the document from my home State:

Twelve States have petitioned the Congress for a convention of States under Article 5. (https://conventionofstates.com/) To see which states go to the link, scroll to the bottom of the page, skim down the left column to Progress Map.

Chris
10-19-2018, 04:59 PM
"Convention of states"

...lol

Article V, U.S. Constitution

Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

I don't think it has ever happened.

Captdon
10-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Twelve States have petitioned the Congress for a convention of States under Article 5. (https://conventionofstates.com/) To see which states go to the link, scroll to the bottom of the page, skim down the left column to Progress Map.

You know I have doubts it will ever happen. I have even greater dounts that 38 states will do much.

MisterVeritis
10-19-2018, 06:03 PM
You know I have doubts it will ever happen. I have even greater doubts that 38 states will do much.
If the Convention of States Project fails we have no further Constitutional methods to save the nation. It will fall after a long civil war. I did what I could. Alabama signed on in 2015.

RadioGod
10-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Awesome link. Good to see you post:)

DGUtley
10-19-2018, 07:46 PM
What about the OP, specifically the Citizens United decision?

Calling for a constitutional limitation on the free political speech of all organizations? Unions, corporations, any organization?

MisterVeritis
10-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Awesome link. Good to see you post:)
I will post on this subject.

Thank you.

Common Sense
10-19-2018, 09:39 PM
If the Convention of States Project fails we have no further Constitutional methods to save the nation. It will fall after a long civil war. I did what I could. Alabama signed on in 2015.

Oh well. At least you tried. Adios America.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Oh well. At least you tried. Adios America.
If that happens your gutchies will fall off and expose your winky.

...seriously

hanger4
10-19-2018, 10:15 PM
I am all for a Constitutional Convention. All for it. There at things we could tweak. For starters:1. Balanced Budget Amendment.2. Term limits. 3. Limiting the commerce clause.4. Repealing the 17th Amendment.5. Strengthen the 2nd Amendment.6. Strengthen the Define Powers Clause. 7. Eliminate the concept of anchor babies. 8. Break up the Alabama Football Team.1 thru 7 have merit, #8 is just sour grapes/jealousy, besides, Saban can't live forever. :grin: