PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon left 16 items in man's body

oceanloverOH
01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
This is sooooo scary. I just can't imagine. I'm not very good at posting links to stories, I apologize. But this was too interesting not to share.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/4389/20130116/surgeon-left-16-items-body-dick-schroeder.htm

Dirk Schroeder's family is suing a German hospital after a surgeon left 16 items in his body during a procedure.
According to Ninemsn, the 74-year-old man underwent a routine surgery in 2009 to help treat his prostate cancer. Schroeder's pain persisted, and three months later, a nurse noticed a gauze pad coming out of one of the man's wounds.....

.....Schroeder died last year of cancer, and his family is now suing the unidentified hospital for $121,000. The hospital, meanwhile, is arguing that the 16 items in question actually entered the man's body after the surgery.

(Like how did those items get in the prostate area, including a needle?)

Adelaide
01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
This is sooooo scary. I just can't imagine. I'm not very good at posting links to stories, I apologize. But this was too interesting not to share.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/4389/20130116/surgeon-left-16-items-body-dick-schroeder.htm

Dirk Schroeder's family is suing a German hospital after a surgeon left 16 items in his body during a procedure.
According to Ninemsn, the 74-year-old man underwent a routine surgery in 2009 to help treat his prostate cancer. Schroeder's pain persisted, and three months later, a nurse noticed a gauze pad coming out of one of the man's wounds.....

.....Schroeder died last year of cancer, and his family is now suing the unidentified hospital for $121,000. The hospital, meanwhile, is arguing that the 16 items in question actually entered the man's body after the surgery.

I'm surprised that they could leave 16 objects in him; they must've done an open prostatectomy instead of the usual TURP or laparoscopic surgery. I deal with dozens of TURP clients a month so it's bizarre that they would do an open prostatectomy when surgical interventions have evolved enough to not have to open a person up in vast majority of cases, with higher success rates and lower rates of infection post-op. This would be something worth investigating by whomever oversees these surgeons/this hospital...

Just bizarre - I wouldn't even say scary, but just bizarre. If it were my family member, I'd be asking fore more than $121,000...

oceanloverOH
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised that they could leave 16 objects in him; they must've done an open prostatectomy instead of the usual TURP or laparoscopic surgery. I deal with dozens of TURP clients a month so it's bizarre that they would do an open prostatectomy when surgical interventions have evolved enough to not have to open a person up in vast majority of cases, with higher success rates and lower rates of infection post-op. This would be something worth investigating by whomever oversees these surgeons/this hospital...

Just bizarre - I wouldn't even say scary, but just bizarre. If it were my family member, I'd be asking fore more than $121,000...

I know TURP is the usual procedure in the US....but who knows in Europe? Or how bad his cancer was, causing the surgeons to try to clean it out (and it did finally kill him). But you're right....I'd be looking for a few million in my suit.

Peter1469
01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
The medical malpractice industry in the US publishes books that lists the general value of every possible injury for all types of people. When jury awards deviate highly above these, appeals courts almost always reduce the award (although years later).

If this guy was going to die anyway, he won't rate much money- outside of punitive damages.

With that said, this would be true in the US. Not sure what German law is.

Deadwood
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I know TURP is the usual procedure in the US....but who knows in Europe? Or how bad his cancer was, causing the surgeons to try to clean it out (and it did finally kill him). But you're right....I'd be looking for a few million in my suit.

What?

Obama and his people have been telling us that Europe is THE Mecca of socialized medical care. Outdated methods? I am sorry but that simply isn't possible in Obama's world.

And of course these objects entered the body AFTER the surgery.

And then the aliens came.....

Carygrant
01-17-2013, 02:39 AM
I have no knowledge of this case but arguably Germany has the most remarkably good system in the world .
State support / contribution is high but it is difficult to imagine better amenities and care levels .
Despite that , it is a very high stress job being a consultant or surgeon and mistakes will always occur because fallible humans are involved . But 16 instruments / "things" does sound like a potential World Record , though I trust someone will be bright enough check the patients sanity and eating/ swallowing obsessions -- just in case there is more to it than you might initially guess.Or look for any attempted previous scamming record .

Carygrant
01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Who is to say that our patient wasn't a retired Sword Swallower who also suffered from Pica ?
And also American , meaning that he would swallow just about anything .
rofl again

Deadwood
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
"And then the aliens came....."

See above......

More negative karma than posts.....

That takes effort....

Carygrant
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
"And then the aliens came....."

See above......

More negative karma than posts.....

That takes effort....

And your record ? Nothing .
Just figures which amount to zero and were awarded by fellow Extremists for saying extreme things and calling your betters a few silly names .
Me Champion . You clone .
" Oh GRC let me give you a Reputation for calling the President a rude name" and "thanks for slagging off the First Lady . I gave you a Reputation for that "
Yes , you really are that silly and shallow .

Cigar
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

WTF ... I always count my tools after I work on my Cars

roadmaster
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
This was a big mess up and no I don't think this man swallowed bandages. Even if he had it wouldn't be coming out of the wound.

Deadwood
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Aliens

I told ya already...only explanation since Germany has the greatest health care system in the known universe it could NOT have happened any other way....

Carygrant
01-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Who effing cares?
As if Beer and Clothing had morphed in to Shylock's Homes and been called in to solve the world's most baffling case .
Vanity is Fearful and Loathed when it can be smelt .

oceanloverOH
01-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Who effing cares?
As if Beer and Clothing had morphed in to Shylock's Homes and been called in to solve the world's most baffling case .
Vanity is Fearful and Loathed when it can be smelt .

Cary, what are you drinking or smoking? Must be some gooooooooooooooood stuff.

Deadwood
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Cary, what are you drinking or smoking? Must be some gooooooooooooooood stuff.

Hey....

Ignore is beautiful.