PDA

View Full Version : 5 Way to Make Your Computer Lightning Fast.....

MMC
11-03-2011, 08:18 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/5-ways-windows-computer-lightning-fast-220212138.html

Trim-down and tune-up tips anybody can do.....

Nobody enjoys using a slow computer. You want your computer to be fast and responsive, whether it's brand spanking new or four years old. Follow our tips to keep you zooming along the information superhighway, regardless of your PC's age!

1. Run the essentials
2. Fluff not necessary
3. Safe and simple browsing
4. Timing your antivirus scans
5. Add a physical boost

Anyone Interested can read each Section thru the link..... ;)

Peter1469
11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
thanks for the info

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I post these suggestions assuming people run Windows machines, but some tasks work just as well for all computers. Try them adaptively.

I suggest doing an entire system backup before doing this laundry list of tasks. It's all relatively safe, but when it comes to your important files, redundancy can be your best friend if things go wrong.

You can do these in the order I post them in

1. Scan frequently for spyware and viruses. Unchecked, these can really bog down your system resources and compromise your personal information. Use Microsoft Security Essentials (free). http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

2. Disable/uninstall unneeded add-ons and tool bars from your browser. Dump your browser cache and history for faster internet surfing. Delete cookies. Use Glary Utilities (free). Glary Utilities is a multifunction program designed for improving your system performance, which I will refer to for a few of these tasks. http://download.cnet.com/3001-2094_4-10508531.html?spi=6b6042efb5c25b6ded723ca3e9183f12

3. Turn fancy windows effects off. They take up processor power. Run basic or classic graphics themes.

4. Turn off redundant system services and disable unneeded start-up programs. Type MSCONFIG in your start menu search/run bar to do this. Glary Utilities also has a function for this.

5. Uninstall unneeded or redundant programs, and delete their remnants. Use Windows Uninstaller. Glary Utilities also has a function for this.

6. Clean junk off your hard drive, everywhere you can think of. Store personal and downloaded files on a drive other than your system drive. Use Windows Disk Cleanup, and/or Glary Utilities.

7. Clean and defragment your Windows registry. Use Glary Utilities for this. Windows has no built-in program for accomplishing this, but if you've never done it before and you've been running the same operating system for a long time, this single task can work WONDERS.

8. Keep your hardware drivers up-to-date, along with your operating system updates.

9. Defragment your hard drive. *Later versions of windows do this automatically. **NOT NEEDED OR RECOMMENDED FOR SOLID STATE HARD DRIVES.

10. Spend some money and upgrade your hardware. If you use a solid state hard drive for your operating system, you will notice a significant decrease in load time. If you upgrade your memory, motherboard and/or CPU you will notice a significant improvement in system speed. Getting a graphics card will improve visual and gaming performance.

11. If your hardware supports it, you can try overclocking it--but be careful and do your homework before you mess with this. Consult your hardware manuals for this.

12. If your computer still runs way slower than you think it should you can always back up your files, wipe out your system drive, and do a fresh Windows install. Keep in mind this will wipe everything out. You will need to reinstall all your programs and back up your important files onto a different drive, but having a faster computer may be worth it.

I suspect your computer experience will improve by leaps and bounds if you do these tasks right.

Conley
11-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Wow, great list Spunk. Bookmarked for future reference.

Mister D
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Idiots ::) Watch a learn, fellas.

PC Matic by PC Pitstop - Mom's Night Out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMP4PF3DNg8#)

Conley
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
:D Those commercials piss me off...they just install adware and charge you for the pleasure >:(

Everything you need is free.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah. If you want anything to work better and faster, just follow my steps. You can do it all for free.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 09:53 PM
**OH, and if you install Glary Utilities, when you get to the "Install ASK Toolbar" window, just un-check the "I agree to terms" and continue...it wont cancel program install, but also wont install an annoying tool bar. Glary is a free program, of course there's a tiny gimmick...but you can work around it.

MMC
11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
**OH, and if you install Glary Utilities, when you get to the "Install ASK Toolbar" window, just un-check the "I agree to terms" and continue...it wont cancel program install, but also wont install an annoying tool bar. Glary is a free program, of course there's a tiny gimmick...but you can work around it.

Thanks for that info Spunk. As I am one who is not puter lierate.

Conley
11-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Just don't forget to unclick that box next to the Ask Toolbar...a lot of people install those toolbars and they make your computer run slower and slower

spunkloaf
11-21-2011, 09:20 AM
You're welcome! Let me know how it works out for you.

MMC
12-03-2011, 01:55 AM
WTF.....my norton security just went down because they wanted to update to a 2012 version and now all of a sudden everything is taking longer. took me almost 30 mins to get back on.

MMC
12-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Guess this program has to phase in before it starts working right. Anyone else noticing a lot of Internet Explorers not responding a lot? Or if they are getting spiked by the host server more?

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
The only way to make a computer faster in my experience is to back everything up, re-load Windows and reinstall all your shit afterward.

I do that every now and then with my computers.

MMC
12-03-2011, 10:17 AM
The only way to make a computer faster in my experience is to back everything up, re-load Windows and reinstall all your shit afterward.

I do that every now and then with my computers.

Yeah and we defrag to. This happened last nite. I didnt know Norton Antivirus stuff could do that while one was online. Just to switch their stuff out. My step son says this puter has probably one procesor where the new ones have 2 or 4. I want a laptop for myself but I still want the Tower for the House.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
What are you using Norton for anyway? There are tons of free antivirus software out there that work just as well or better.

Conley
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Norton will make your computer slower than molasses in my experience. I trashed it and never looked back. Glad I did.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
You also might want to start thinking of trading that TRS-80 in for a new computer.

MMC
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
This is a used Hewlitt Packard Pentium 4 processor. Use to be a school puter. Then they wipe it clean and sell them used. So its not in bad shape or anything. Just older tech I bet. Tag says 2009 on it. Last time I had a Dell Until I trashed it. Before that an Acer.

Dell was awesome I had my shit go down with them over the Holidays a few years back. It was all under warranty. They sent people out put in a new mother board and some other stuff and it was brand new all over again. 24 hr service. But ya have to listen real well as they taking those calls out of India. :laugh:

Conley
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
That's not too bad. I bet it has a lot of toolbars and spyware and popups and stuff installed on it. You should uninstall all the crap you don't need.

MMC
12-03-2011, 11:04 AM
That's not too bad. I bet it has a lot of toolbars and spyware and popups and stuff installed on it. You should uninstall all the crap you don't need.

Yeah we got rid of the toolbars. They had stuff to block popups and spyware. Also got rid of their Microsoft Office.