PDA

View Full Version : Humps for bumps?

Chris
11-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Florida Mayor Accused of Requesting Sex in Exchange for Speed Bumps: Humps for bumps? (http://reason.com/blog/2018/11/01/humps-for-bumps-florida-mayor-accused-of)

David Stewart's tenure as mayor of Lantana, Florida, has hit a speed bump.

In 2015, Catherine Padilla asked the city government to install safety speed bumps after cars in her neighborhood hit a poodle, a cat, and a young girl. Padilla claims Stewart said he'd make sure the speed bumps were installed—if she had sex with him.

According to an ethics panel, there's "probable cause" to think she's telling the truth.

Padilla says that after having lunch with the mayor one day, he drove her to a local motel and said he wanted to "occupy" a room together, The Palm Beach Post reports.

"He pulled into this motel and got out of his van and I just kept motioning no, no I'm not interested," Padilla told WPTV in February.

She has also said that before the Lantana Town Council voted on the speed bumps, the mayor told her he'd make sure they were approved if she slept with him. Once more, she refused.

The council approved the speed bumps anyway, but Padilla says that Stewart threatened to have them removed.

https://i.snag.gy/3gYeOT.jpg

MisterVeritis
11-01-2018, 03:22 PM
I looked at four stories. Not one mentioned that the mayor is a Republican. Therefore, I conclude the dirtbag is a Democrat. Had the mayor been a Republican the headline would have said "Republican Mayor... "

...and every paragraph would have mentioned the mayor's political party.

Chris
11-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Yea, I looked for party but at that level I don't expect them to be anything.

pragmatic
11-01-2018, 04:51 PM

That appears to be the case.

Vanilla....

https://www.lantana.org/towncouncil

Chris
11-01-2018, 05:01 PM
That appears to be the case.

Vanilla....

https://www.lantana.org/towncouncil

"Mayor Stewart is committed to making Lantana a better place to live, work and play because he truly does “Love Lantana”." And bumps, er, humps.

MisterVeritis
11-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Everybody is "something".

Chris
11-01-2018, 05:23 PM
He's an asshole.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 06:41 PM
I looked at four stories. Not one mentioned that the mayor is a Republican. Therefore, I conclude the dirtbag is a Democrat. Had the mayor been a Republican the headline would have said "Republican Mayor... "

Most local offices, including mayor, don’t operate on a partisan basis.

Common
11-01-2018, 06:49 PM

They run as democrat or republicans though GA

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 06:55 PM
They run as democrat or republicans though GA

In major cities like New York, L.A., Atlanta, they will. In smaller cities they typically don’t. I will grant though that this distinction is slowly fading, as the more partisan our national politics get, the more partisan our local politics get.

MisterVeritis
11-01-2018, 07:45 PM
But the people still belong to a party.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:13 PM
But the people still belong to a party.

Most do, some don't. It just depends.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 09:01 PM
In major cities like New York, L.A., Atlanta, they will. In smaller cities they typically don’t. I will grant though that this distinction is slowly fading, as the more partisan our national politics get, the more partisan our local politics get.

I live in a small city and all elected officials run as a member of a particular party.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 09:06 PM

I live in a small city and all elected officials run as a member of a particular party.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 09:09 PM

I don't know if he is a Democrat Or a Republican and I really don't care. However, if he was a Republican, every time his name was mentioned, it would be preceded with "Republican mayor"....

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 09:10 PM

And they aways have

Chris
11-01-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't know if he is a Democrat Or a Republican and I really don't care. However, if he was a Republican, every time his name was mentioned, it would be preceded with "Republican mayor"....

Given today's media bias for sure.

You're probably right, to say no small town politicians are partisan overgeneralizes.

My dad was mayor of my hometown when I was in elementary school. He's a blue-dog Democrat but just ran as himself, no affiliations. He beat my friend's dad and we became enemies and had a quick fight. Funny even to think of it now.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 09:23 PM
You're probably right, to say no small town politicians are partisan overgeneralizes.

Good thing that was never said.

Chris
11-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Good thing that was never said.

I said it.

Among other things.

Learn to use ellipsis.

donttread
11-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Florida Mayor Accused of Requesting Sex in Exchange for Speed Bumps: Humps for bumps? (http://reason.com/blog/2018/11/01/humps-for-bumps-florida-mayor-accused-of)

https://i.snag.gy/3gYeOT.jpg

This would have been relevant 3 years ago

Captdon
11-02-2018, 10:01 AM

No, that isn't true. Even on the smallest level they run as D's or R's. It doesn't matter usually.