PDA

View Full Version : Next Speaker Of The House.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 06:28 PM
No matter which party is in control of the House of Representatives after the election, there will be a new speaker of the house.

The Democrats seem to be shying away from Pelosi for good reasons. Democrats know that she would the number one issue for Republican candidates in 2020 and she's tough to support.

I haven't heard who the front runner is for the Republicans should they maintain their majority, but I know who I would put in that position. I would make uber liberal heads explode by installing Nikki Haley as the speaker of the house. I think that that would be a great move. She would receive support from some Democrats. This would signify a break from politics as usual.

Common
11-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Pelosi will be the next speaker, the question is for how long. The dems will win the house

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Pelosi will be the next speaker, the question is for how long. The dems will win the house
Maybe, maybe not. On both.

If the Democrats win the majority its at least 50/50 that they will elect someone other than Pelosi.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
No matter which party is in control of the House of Representatives after the election, there will be a new speaker of the house.

The Democrats seem to be shying away from Pelosi for good reasons. Democrats know that she would the number one issue for Republican candidates in 2020 and she's tough to support.

I haven't heard who the front runner is for the Republicans should they maintain their majority, but I know who I would put in that position. I would make uber liberal heads explode by installing Nikki Haley as the speaker of the house. I think that that would be a great move. She would receive support from some Democrats. This would signify a break from politics as usual.

Republican front-runner is Kevin McCarthy, with Steve Scalise a close second.

There’s almost no chance Haley would be considered. While the Speaker does not HAVE to be a member of the House, every Speaker has been and I don’t know of a time when someone not in the House was nominated.

Common
11-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Republican front-runner is Kevin McCarthy, with Steve Scalise a close second.

There’s almost no chance Haley would be considered. While the Speaker does not HAVE to be a member of the House, every Speaker has been and I don’t know of a time when someone not in the House was nominated.

I dont believe theres even a chance the GOP will hold the house

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 06:56 PM

It’s highly unlikely at this point, though I’d rate it likely that they keep the Senate and net another seat or two.

Common
11-01-2018, 07:03 PM
It’s highly unlikely at this point, though I’d rate it likely that they keep the Senate and net another seat or two.
Its not like the democrats are going to be able to bogart anything they want through. GOP will have the senate, Potus and the veto pen and Scotus and the dems may very well lose the house again next election after they are on display and say and do what they are really about.

MisterVeritis
11-01-2018, 07:27 PM
I think not.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 07:37 PM
I dont believe theres even a chance the GOP will hold the houseWe have elections for a reason and they always don't go as the conventional wisdom dictates..

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I think most of the predictions are based only on wishful thinking and the notion of "that's the way it always is" when it comes to mid term elections of a first term president.

It's obvious that things are changing and one must look at things differently than they did in the past.

hanger4
11-01-2018, 07:53 PM
No matter which party is in control of the House of Representatives after the election, there will be a new speaker of the house. The Democrats seem to be shying away from Pelosi for good reasons. Democrats know that she would the number one issue for Republican candidates in 2020 and she's tough to support. I haven't heard who the front runner is for the Republicans should they maintain their majority, but I know who I would put in that position. I would make uber liberal heads explode by installing Nikki Haley as the speaker of the house. I think that that would be a great move. She would receive support from some Democrats. This would signify a break from politics as usual.Has a non member of the House ever be elected Speaker ??

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Has a non member of the House ever be elected Speaker ??

I don't know.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Its not like the democrats are going to be able to bogart anything they want through. GOP will have the senate, Potus and the veto pen and Scotus and the dems may very well lose the house again next election after they are on display and say and do what they are really about.

Personally, I think a divided government like this is healthy. One-party rule is a danger to democracy and calls back more to places like North Korea and China than it does the U.S.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:19 PM
I think most of the predictions are based only on wishful thinking and the notion of "that's the way it always is" when it comes to mid term elections of a first term president.

It's obvious that things are changing and one must look at things differently than they did in the past.

What changed, exactly? Trump beat Hillary. After two terms of a Democratic president, a Republican got elected to succeed him. The same thing has been happening since Bill Clinton got elected to two terms, and then was suceeded by George W. Bush's two terms, and followed into Barack Obama's two terms. Dx2, Rx2, Dx2, R. If the trend continues, Trump will be re-elected in 2020 and then a Democrat will succeed him in 2024.

Common
11-01-2018, 08:19 PM
We have elections for a reason and they always don't go as the conventional wisdom dictates..
I truly hope so and I am historically most always wrong predicting elections, my best friend tells me im wrong also but I stand by that I believe the democrats will win the house but not the senate.

I also believe that they will lose the house the next election just like they did after obamacare.

I was wrong about trump winning the election, I predicted he would lose

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Has a non member of the House ever be elected Speaker ??

No. Every Speaker of the House since the office's formation in the constitution has been a member of the House, though it is not required that they be.

Common
11-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Personally, I think a divided government like this is healthy. One-party rule is a danger to democracy and calls back more to places like North Korea and China than it does the U.S.

GA the democrats are going to spend all their time, trying to push through and fail ultra liberal wish lists and attacking trump with all sorts of nonesense, trying to impeach, supoena, investigate etc and they will get themselves tossed out the following election.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 08:30 PM
No. Every Speaker of the House since the office's formation in the constitution has been a member of the House, though it is not required that they be.

The fact that a non representative has never held the position is irrelevant to my idea that maybe it's time that the tradition is broken.

I think things need to be shaken up dramatically.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 08:35 PM
GA the democrats are going to spend all their time, trying to push through and fail ultra liberal wish lists and attacking trump with all sorts of nonesense, trying to impeach, supoena, investigate etc and they will get themselves tossed out the following election.

Of course they will follow that course, but even if by chance they take the senate too, all those attemps will fail.

I would think that if the Democrats took both houses of congress, Trump would be using his veto power more frequently than others and the Dems wouldn't have the numbers to overide those vetoes.

No mafter what happens next week, things are going to be very interesting for the next two years. If the Democrats fail to win the house as they fully expect, they may go absolutely crazy.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:41 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think they are going to test the waters and do what polls well. The Democrats, like the Republicans, are an old party filled with politicians who have been in office for a very long time. They have two priorities and two priorities only: getting power, and holding on to it.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:42 PM
The fact that a non representative has never held the position is irrelevant to my idea that maybe it's time that the tradition is broken.

I think things need to be shaken up dramatically.

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just pointing out that it is highly unlikely that a non-member will become Speaker of the House. At least, probably not in our lifetimes.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 08:45 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just pointing out that it is highly unlikely that a non-member will become Speaker of the House. At least, probably not in our lifetimes.

I'm hoping that at some point it will happen. The speaker position always wasn't as partisan as it has been for the last sixty or seventy years.

Green Arrow
11-01-2018, 08:47 PM
I'm hoping that at some point it will happen. The speaker position always wasn't as partisan as it has been for the last sixty or seventy years.

I don't think it's been partisan for 60-70 years. It seems like a mostly recent phenomenon.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 08:50 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think they are going to test the waters and do what polls well. The Democrats, like the Republicans, are an old party filled with politicians who have been in office for a very long time. They have two priorities and two priorities only: getting power, and holding on to it.

I believe that they will go for impeachment of Kavanaugh and then Trump. They will pursue massive tax increases and more environmental laws which will constrict industry. They will go for a Medicare for all remedy to the health care insurance issue. If they win, they will go for massive growth of government.

However, it will all go nowhere because the senate will stop them.

Even if they lose, they will claim that they have a mandate

Tahuyaman
11-01-2018, 10:12 PM
I don't think it's been partisan for 60-70 years. It seems like a mostly recent phenomenon.
It became a partisan position a long time ago. Even before the Sam Rayburn era.

It started in the late 1800's and kept becoming more partisan with each session of congress. It's certainly not a recent thing.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 12:13 AM

Your view on that could be influenced by the media. Right now they, in cooperation with the Hollywood elites are in full blown campaign mode for the Democrats. They are desperate to get their side back into the majority.

Speaking for myself, I can handle it just fine if the Democrats take over the house of representatives. But if they don't win and the Republicans retain their majorities, the media and liberal elites are going to melt-down. I do believe that they may actually call for acts of civil unrest and violence.

I think anyone who puts a campaign sign in their yard promoting a conservative candidate is a moron. You are setting yourself up to have your home vandalized.

Lummy
11-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Your view on that could be influenced by the media. Right now they, in cooperation with the Hollywood elites are in full blown campaign mode for the Democrats. They are desperate to get their side back into the majority.

Speaking for myself, I can handle it just fine if the Democrats take over the house of representatives. But if they don't win and the Republicans retain their majorities, the media and liberal elites are going to melt-down. I do believe that they may actually call for acts of civil unrest and violence.

I think anyone who puts a campaign sign in their yard promoting a conservative candidate is a moron. You are setting yourself up to have your home vandalized.

Welcome to 1936 Berlin.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Welcome to 1936 Berlin.

It's not that bad, but the left is certainly promoting acts of violence to be committed in the name of politics.

MisterVeritis
11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
The Left has already won with you.

I have a sign out. I am not a moron.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 10:51 AM
The Left has already won with you.

I have a sign out. I am not a moron.

I don't want my home vandalized when I'm not there to protect it. If one wants to know my political views, all they need to do is to have the courage to ask me face to face. I'll tell you.

If you don't mind having your $70,000.00 vehicle vandalized, by all means, put a political bumper sticker on it. Show everyone that you aren't a moron or that you aren't giving in to the left.

MisterVeritis
11-02-2018, 11:03 AM
I don't want my home vandalized when I'm not there to protect it. If one wants to know my political views, all they need to do is to have the courage to ask me face to face. I'll tell you.
If you don't mind having your $70,000.00 vehicle vandalized, by all means, put a political bumper sticker on it. Show everyone that you aren't a moron or that you aren't giving in to the left.The Left owns you.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 11:11 AM
The Left owns you.
because I don't put a yard sign out or plaster my automobile with bumper stickers.