PDA

View Full Version : Protesters Delay Release Of Pakistani Woman Acquitted For Blasphemy

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 02:54 PM
More from the religion of peace.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/02/663380270/protesters-delay-release-of-pakistani-woman-acquitted-for-blasphemy

A Christian woman who was acquitted by Pakistan's Supreme Court after spending eight years on death row for insulting Islam is still being held in an undisclosed location. Her release was delayed after negotiations failed between the government and an extremist religious group that is demanding she be killed.

Asia Bibi's sentence was reversed on Wednesday in Islamabad. Almost simultaneously, followers of a hard-line Pakistani religious group rushed onto major highways across the country to paralyze traffic in protest of the decision.

They called for Bibi to be killed, along with the three Supreme Court judges who issued the verdict. They also called on Pakistani military forces to disobey the army chief of staffs, accusing him of not being a Muslim.

Even in a country which generally tolerates a great deal of hate speech by the religious right, the calls against the army chief, Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa, seemed to stun many in Pakistan. It led to the prime minister, Imran Khan, warning the protesters in an evening televised address that the state could be forced to act against them. Negotiations began shortly after the prime minister's address to defuse the situation.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 02:59 PM
When this was first reported, Inthought it was rare example of good news coming from the Islamic world. I guess some zealots disagree.

Don29palms
11-02-2018, 03:42 PM
There should be a forum titled "So What" for threads like this.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Absolutely not. This is a discussion worthy thread.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
....Even in a country which generally tolerates a great deal of hate speech by the religious right, .....

I'm not sure where that came from.

Don29palms
11-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Absolutely not. This is a discussion worthy thread.

Not really. It's in Pakistan. It's ok though I can agree do disagree. I won't comment here again.

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Right, this issue requires some intelligence.

Maybe Eddie will post some troll bait then you can go call him a dumbocrat or whatever since double digits IQ seems to be your discussion level.

Now run along child, adults are talking

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Still, I think the court releasing her immediately is a rare example of good news from the Islamic world. Obviously they are going to need to get her out of the country in a covert manner. There's no way she can openly live there and survive for more than a few days.

Mister D
11-02-2018, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure where that came from.

Islamism is thought to be on the "right" by some but these political categories are alien to non-western societies.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Islamism is thought to be on the "right" by some but these political categories are alien to non-western societies.
I’ve never heard a Theocracy bring considered a right wing idea.