PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules Native Americans in North Dakota Must Comply With Voter ID Law

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/02/663417341/judge-rules-native-americans-in-north-dakota-must-comply-with-voter-id-law

A federal judge has ruled that Native Americans in North Dakota must comply with the state's recently tightened voter ID law. At the same time, U.S. District Court Judge Daniel Hovland acknowledged that the law had raised concerns.

The controversial law requires North Dakota residents to show identification with a current street address. Many residents of Native American reservations — who tend to vote for Democrats — do not have street addresses. They have Post Office box numbers, and those don't qualify. In October, the Supreme Court declined to overturn the law.

Safety
11-02-2018, 05:11 PM
First the pipeline through their land, now this.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Why shouldn't they if they are voting in a federal election? If they are voting on a tribal issue, that's on them.

nathanbforrest45
11-02-2018, 05:55 PM
First the pipeline through their land, now this.
Yeah, lifes a bitch isn't it.

roadmaster
11-02-2018, 06:06 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/02/663417341/judge-rules-native-americans-in-north-dakota-must-comply-with-voter-id-law

A federal judge has ruled that Native Americans in North Dakota must comply with the state's recently tightened voter ID law. At the same time, U.S. District Court Judge Daniel Hovland acknowledged that the law had raised concerns.

The controversial law requires North Dakota residents to show identification with a current street address. Many residents of Native American reservations — who tend to vote for Democrats — do not have street addresses. They have Post Office box numbers, and those don't qualify. In October, the Supreme Court declined to overturn the law.

It's not an issue that just came up. This was enacted in 2014. The media is trying to make people think it's all about Trump.

roadmaster
11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Most of the people there can vote, around 2% of tribalism that have rejected street names or numbers can't. Just like the small portion in AZ that chooses to live off the grid. Sometimes ambulances can't find them but they reject addresses of any kind.

Green Arrow
11-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Miscarriage of justice.

Crepitus
11-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Voter suppression.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Miscarriage of justice.
How is that a miscarriage of justice?

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Voter suppression.

Seriously? You leftists are amazing.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 06:57 PM
It's not an issue that just came up. This was enacted in 2014. The media is trying to make people think it's all about Trump.
Please don't insert facts into the discussion. We need to just automatically accept that this is a miscarriage of justice or an attempt at voter suppression.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 07:00 PM
In my home state, I now vote by mail. But, the last time I walked into a polling place, they asked for ID and they checked to see that I was a registered voter. I never even thought about complaining or calling that a miscarriage of justice. I certainly didn't believe it was an attempt to suppress my vote.

nathanbforrest45
11-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Please don't insert facts into the discussion. We need to just automatically accept that this is a miscarriage of justice or an attempt at voter suppression.

I don't know about you but when I read about this I had a panic attack.

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Requiring someone to show proof of legitimacy when voting is not voter suppression.

I never bought that excuse. In this day and age if you can't maintain adequate identification then you're on the fringe of society, it's not societies responsibility to cater to your shortfalls.

Be on the fringe, but don't expect to vote, or drive legally or a number of other things.

Captdon
11-02-2018, 07:05 PM
How is that a miscarriage of justice?

They should be able to vote. Tribal land has different rules. A voting precinct for them would solve the problem. We have to guard the vote but this was overboard.

Captdon
11-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Requiring someone to show proof of legitimacy when voting is not voter suppression.

I never bought that excuse. In this day and age if you can't maintain adequate identification then you're on the fringe of society, it's not societies responsibility to cater to your shortfalls.

Be on the fringe, but don't expect to vote, or drive legally or a number of other things.

You need an id to cash a welfare check.

roadmaster
11-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Please don't insert facts into the discussion. We need to just automatically accept that this is a miscarriage of justice or an attempt at voter suppression.Their own elders have tried their best to work with the traditionalist. Just putting a small road sign on a long hwy they reject. You don't even have to have an address just a hwy sign with a number. They can just say they live off that road somewhere but no they won't have it.

It's like a guy going into a store without cash or card, everyday and then after years complaining the store refused to serve them.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 07:13 PM
They should be able to vote. Tribal land has different rules. A voting precinct for them would solve the problem. We have to guard the vote but this was overboard.

No one isxsaying they shouldn’t be able to vote as long as they are registered voters.

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Do you need to show proof of residency to get a PO box?

I don't think you do, when I lived in a camper in WV (I did... don't judge me lol) I got a PO box for my mail. I had no legitimate street address but I don't remember what I needed to provide. Drivers license maybe, I had a PA drivers license addressed to the home I still owned in PA.

So I think about this and if I'm an illegal, there's probably some loopholes in there I can shuffle through to get an ID somehow.

Stepping back from that I don't know that disqualifying PO boxes is that unreasonable. I was a resident and did vote there, had to have been based on the PO box though, I don't remember. Resident of OH actually (across the river from WV).

MisterVeritis
11-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Nope.

donttread
11-02-2018, 09:35 PM

Why should you need an address to vote. You should be able to vote if you are homeless. This is going backwards in time to the "only land owners can vote" mentality.

donttread
11-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Why shouldn't they if they are voting in a federal election? If they are voting on a tribal issue, that's on them.

Why should they require a residence

Tahuyaman
11-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Idiots.

Captain Obvious
11-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Why should you need an address to vote. You should be able to vote if you are homeless. This is going backwards in time to the "only land owners can vote" mentality.

How do you prove citizenship otherwise?

If you have a better plan I'm listening.

Mister D
11-02-2018, 10:01 PM

What was wrong with that?

Lummy
11-02-2018, 10:16 PM

They're using geo-coordinates instead, like you see on the screen of your $20 Garvin GPS, I would think.

Holy crap. Make that $120 Garvin. :facepalm:

Cletus
11-03-2018, 01:13 AM
Why should they require a residence

To verify eligibility. Remember, elections, even for President are actually state elections. The state needs to verify that you are in fact a state resident.

nathanbforrest45
11-03-2018, 01:16 AM
I have a question. If they are so opposed to ordinary society they refuse to have an address why do they care what the government is doing?

Cletus
11-03-2018, 01:25 AM
I have a question. If they are so opposed to ordinary society they refuse to have an address why do they care what the government is doing?

It isn't so much being opposed to ordinary society as it is simple rural living. Instead of living at #123 Primrose Lane, a lot of folks live "Go past the Buffalo Pasture, turn where lightning struck that old Cottonwood, keep going over the hill, turn at the rock wall and you'll see the house".

Those are common directions around here. There has just never been a need for conventional addresses. It is not uncommon to hear the Sheriif's office on the radio telling the dispatcher to have a resident blink his porch light on and off so they can find the house.

Still, tribal government could easily designate physical addresses if they just decided to get around to it.

Captdon
11-03-2018, 12:25 PM
No one isxsaying they shouldn’t be able to vote as long as they are registered voters.

Registration shouldn't be that hard there. It is tribal land. The damn elders know who lives there and who doesn't. Why did this have to be a big deal?

Captdon
11-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Do you need to show proof of residency to get a PO box?

I don't think you do, when I lived in a camper in WV (I did... don't judge me lol) I got a PO box for my mail. I had no legitimate street address but I don't remember what I needed to provide. Drivers license maybe, I had a PA drivers license addressed to the home I still owned in PA.

So I think about this and if I'm an illegal, there's probably some loopholes in there I can shuffle through to get an ID somehow.

Stepping back from that I don't know that disqualifying PO boxes is that unreasonable. I was a resident and did vote there, had to have been based on the PO box though, I don't remember. Resident of OH actually (across the river from WV).

How many states did you vote in? You lived in W. VA (I won't go there) address in Ohio and in PA. Damn it, you're the problem , not some Indian in ND. I have to wonder how many of "you" there are here.

Captdon
11-03-2018, 12:31 PM

No. No homeless. They could vote all over a city.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2018, 12:32 PM
How many states did you vote in? You lived in W. VA (I won't go there) address in Ohio and in PA. Damn it, you're the problem , not some Indian in ND. I have to wonder how many of "you" there are here.

Just 3 or 4

:biglaugh:

No, I lived in Ohio, worked in WV, owned a home in PA. I just registered and voted in OH.

I think I remember you saying you lived in Mt. Pleasant? I worked in Gallipolise for a while but this was more toward Wheeling.

Captdon
11-03-2018, 12:35 PM
How do you prove citizenship otherwise?

If you have a better plan I'm listening.

Yea, but from where?

Captdon
11-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Just 3 or 4

:biglaugh:

No, I lived in Ohio, worked in WV, owned a home in PA. I just registered and voted in OH.

I think I remember you saying you lived in Mt. Pleasant? I worked in Gallipolise for a while but this was more toward Wheeling.

I lived in Derry. 50 miles east. I worked in the East Liberty area, just up from Pitt. I was there 20 years. Then, there was one snow too many.

Tahuyaman
11-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Why should you need an address to vote. You should be able to vote if you are homeless...

The homeless vote if they wish. Here in Washington, the State Democratic Committee will gather them together, provide them with a meal and a ballot. Then forget about them for a couple more years.

roadmaster
11-03-2018, 01:21 PM
We have laws everyone should have to go by to vote and these people are not stupid and they know why the Judge went against them. I can't go buy a PO box in another state and vote there too. I vote in NC, just because I also own a home in SC doesn't qualify me to vote there. You can only register to vote in one state legally. That is the whole reason it's because they want to make sure these people are only voting for one state. If they had won this then you would see a lot of fraud and claiming the courts now ruled it's not against the law to vote in more than one state at a time.

Tahuyaman
11-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Miscarriage of justice.
The same laws which apply to everyone else apply to them. They aren't being signed out.

Cletus
11-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Miscarriage of justice.

How?

Tahuyaman
11-03-2018, 03:57 PM
How?
It's not. They are being held to the same standards as everyone else. This is a fake issue.

Cletus
11-03-2018, 06:24 PM
It's not. They are being held to the same standards as everyone else. This is a fake issue.
I concur.