PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hayes Interviews Robin Morgan, Gloria Steinem, and Jane Fonda

IMPress Polly
11-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Nothing real big today, just saw this interview on Friday night and thought it was cool 'cause it's with three of my heroines from the second wave: Gloria Steinem, Jane Fonda, and (my favorite, the radical) Robin Morgan. One doesn't often see all three of them interviewed together on prime time television in 2018 and I just loved it and thought it was worth sharing. (Conservatives beware though, not neutral.) They discuss the current wave of women's activism and the upcoming midterm election here. It surprised me to see them all on my screen on prime time TV and I just couldn't resist sharing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-mAoTQZdU

Chris
11-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Robin Morgan speaks of taking democracy back. But isn't democracy inclusive? She returns to that and several times speaks to excluding conservatives. She also name drops "logic" but focuses on anger in reation fo the Kanaugh hearings.

IMPress Polly
11-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Robin Morgan speaks of taking democracy back. But isn't democracy inclusive? She returns to that and several times speaks to excluding conservatives.

She says nothing of "excluding conservatives" anywhere. In connection to democratic principles, she's speaking in populist terms about the idea that our government is run in essence by plutocrats and other privileged groups, promoting the aspiration that the voices of the masses should be heard.

She also name drops "logic" but focuses on anger in reation fo the Kanaugh hearings.

She believes that women's anger is a logical and justified reaction to the Kavanaugh confirmation, as do I.

Her allusion to logic here more specifically was directed at the idea that Brett Kavanaugh was treated unfairly, which she finds absurd, as do I.

Incidentally, if you haven't read Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger by Rebecca Traister, which is one of the recent books that she references, I'd highly recommend it. I finished it recently and it's seriously among the best and most pertinent feminist literature published this decade.

Captain Obvious
11-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Robin Morgan speaks of taking democracy back. But isn't democracy inclusive? She returns to that and several times speaks to excluding conservatives. She also name drops "logic" but focuses on anger in reation fo the Kanaugh hearings.

It's only democracy when their side wins and I'm not making a snarky point, my point is that these people even though they have big names are really just dummies like most of the rest of the "democracy" we live in.

It's amazing how many people suddenly realized we don't live in a democracy but a constitutional republic two years ago but that's not my point, or maybe it is if that was the basis of the video even in part.

It's respect, or lack of. The left wants respect but will not give respect in turn when the republic and those that voted the way they did impacted the elections. They don't respect the rural "silent majority" at all or anyone else who voted conservative.

Cletus
11-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Fonda should have been hanged 50 years ago.

Chris
11-04-2018, 01:38 PM
She says nothing of "excluding conservatives" anywhere. In connection to democratic principles, she's speaking in populist terms about the idea that our government is run in essence by plutocrats and other privileged groups, promoting the aspiration that the voices of the masses should be heard.

She believes that women's anger is a logical and justified reaction to the Kavanaugh confirmation, as do I.

Her allusion to logic here more specifically was directed at the idea that Brett Kavanaugh was treated unfairly, which she finds absurd, as do I.

Incidentally, if you haven't read Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger by Rebecca Traister, which is one of the recent books that she references, I'd highly recommend it. I finished it recently and it's seriously among the best and most pertinent feminist literature published this decade.

Oh, so her democracy excludes those she deems privileged. She says she wants to take back democracy in the context of Trump and Kavanaugh. Who else does she want to take it back from but conservatives?

She wants the masses to speak? She won't like what they say.

Anger is logical?

Why was K's treatment logical? She spoke only of anger. Anger, categorically, is emotional, not logical.

Green Arrow
11-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Oh, so her democracy excludes those she deems privileged. She says she wants to take back democracy in the context of Trump and Kavanaugh. Who else does she want to take it back from but conservatives?

She wants the masses to speak? She won't like what they say.

Anger is logical?

Why was K's treatment logical? She spoke only of anger. Anger, categorically, is emotional, not logical.

Anger can have logic behind it even though it is itself an emotional response. Let's not split hairs.

Chris
11-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Anger can have logic behind it even though it is itself an emotional response. Let's not split hairs.

Then don't split hairs. Robin Morgan made no claim logic stood behind the anger of women in reaction to the Kavanaugh hearing. She said she could argue logic, but set it aside for anger.

Her words: "I don't know how they can think he was treated unfairly, but we won't go there, that involves logic...." and then talks instead about anger.

Captdon
11-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Polly, you see what you want to see. The Kavanaugh hearings exposed you for what you are- a follower. He was accused, he was guilty. All theses women you love are stupid at best.

You love them but why? They don't care about you. They want to use you to keep their names in the lights. Don't be so gullible. Quit looking at the glitter and realize that none if them have done a damn thing, not one damn thing.

Fonda dedicated all the profits from her work out tapes to women's groups. How much would that be? Turned out to be a lot so she took the promise back. That's her and women's issues.