PDA

View Full Version : Democrats at Thanksgiving. Enjoy.

Ransom
11-24-2018, 08:13 AM
https://twitter.com/lizTandwa/status/1065846328213807104

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1065964178572263424

Family. Peace unto others. Good will towards humanity. Love.

….I gotta get this tv in this here shopping cart and get mine, destruction to anyone who is going to stand in my way and while I'm in line....can you believe this atrocious Trump's border policies? I ain't like that, I'm about helping my fellow brother or sister...unless they're in my way to a $99 dollar 55 inch tv. Cause.....fck my brother and sister if you're in my way.

On the way home, your knuckles battered and bruised after punching your way into getting 2 tvs for 198......you got the one off the body that was stomped on earlier....you can b1tch and whine about some Trump tweets, you're a much better person than he.

stjames1_53
11-24-2018, 08:52 AM
And, Thanksgiving brought with it the usual flood of liberal whining about how to deal with conservative relatives at the dinner table. I don’t know how this is complicated. Just have separate dining areas for conservatives and liberals.
https://plimages.blob.core.windows.net/article-images/GreatEight/11-21-18/outisde.jpg
We put the Democrats here, so they’d be in familiar surroundings.

Helena
11-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Why is this still a thing? All of the same deals are online, and if you missed something on Black Friday, there's Cyber Monday. If you missed something on Cyber Monday, online stores still run specials and deals.. all the time.

What is the damn appeal?

People are like this at a Mennonite discount store where I shop. It used to be a fairly polite place;you had to pay cash and the deals were incredible. The deals are still pretty great, but since they started accepting EBT, Debit and Credit cards, the clientele and civility went way downhill.

Ransom
11-24-2018, 05:24 PM
But are the Mennonites not fake Amish?

But I do agree, we Catholics known for holding hands during prayer on Sunday Morning. But can curse you silly in the parking lot should you steal their 'spot.'

Catholic Members will also remember your parish had or has a Member who wished to sit in the same seat each Sunday morning, might have even asked someone to move should they be seated in 'their seat.'

Agent Zero
11-24-2018, 07:43 PM
https://twitter.com/lizTandwa/status/1065846328213807104

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1065964178572263424

Family. Peace unto others. Good will towards humanity. Love.

….I gotta get this tv in this here shopping cart and get mine, destruction to anyone who is going to stand in my way and while I'm in line....can you believe this atrocious Trump's border policies? I ain't like that, I'm about helping my fellow brother or sister...unless they're in my way to a $99 dollar 55 inch tv. Cause.....fck my brother and sister if you're in my way.

On the way home, your knuckles battered and bruised after punching your way into getting 2 tvs for 198......you got the one off the body that was stomped on earlier....you can b1tch and whine about some Trump tweets, you're a much better person than he.
Sorry. I didn't know they checked voter registrations before entering stores.

Agent Zero
11-24-2018, 07:46 PM
And, Thanksgiving brought with it the usual flood of liberal whining about how to deal with conservative relatives at the dinner table. I don’t know how this is complicated. Just have separate dining areas for conservatives and liberals.
https://plimages.blob.core.windows.net/article-images/GreatEight/11-21-18/outisde.jpg
We put the Democrats here, so they’d be in familiar surroundings.

https://img.memecdn.com/crazy-uncle-trump_o_7026669.jpg

Common Sense
11-24-2018, 07:50 PM
What do Democrats have to do with Black Friday madness?

Standing Wolf
11-24-2018, 11:13 PM
But are the Mennonites not fake Amish?

The Amish are an offshoot who believe the Mennonites are too liberal and worldly. Cars, phones, electricity and buttons on clothing - that sort of thing. And then among the Amish you have various divisions, some more "observant" or more tolerant of change and technology than others.

Captain Obvious
11-25-2018, 12:06 AM
The Amish are an offshoot who believe the Mennonites are too liberal and worldly. Cars, phones, electricity and buttons on clothing - that sort of thing. And then among the Amish you have various divisions, some more "observant" or more tolerant of change and technology than others.

The Amish and that "no electricity" thing is kind of phony in a way. I think they live without electricity because they know how but hire Amish to build you a deck and they're using power tools.

Dr. Who
11-25-2018, 12:18 AM
The Amish and that "no electricity" thing is kind of phony in a way. I think they live without electricity because they know how but hire Amish to build you a deck and they're using power tools.

Time is money, especially if you are being paid by the job.

Captain Obvious
11-25-2018, 12:26 AM
Time is money, especially if you are being paid by the job.

I'm not sure what that means.

I don't think the Amish have the same materialistic, profit driven lifestyle we have so I'm not sure that's a valid statement. I don't understand the Amish but I'm really skeptical that your comment isn't really accurate.

I did interview for a CFO gig in... Millersville OH, deep Amish country, Pomerene Hospital. Several members of the Board were Amish, one was a millionaire. Those road side Amish quilt, belt, furniture, cheese, etc. shops, I guess he had a big stake in that market and did very well.

Dr. Who
11-25-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure what that means.

I don't think the Amish have the same materialistic, profit driven lifestyle we have so I'm not sure that's a valid statement. I don't understand the Amish but I'm really skeptical that your comment isn't really accurate.

I did interview for a CFO gig in... Millersville OH, deep Amish country, Pomerene Hospital. Several members of the Board were Amish, one was a millionaire. Those road side Amish quilt, belt, furniture, cheese, etc. shops, I guess he had a big stake in that market and did very well.

No one is going to pay the Amish to work by the hour with manual tools and if they get paid by the job, spending a month building a deck with manual tools won't bring in enough money, plus no one will tolerate the extended building time. The Amish are practical where they have to be. They understand the dance between the worldly and unworldly aspects of their lives. They have to pay taxes and buy those goods that they can't produce for themselves. That takes money. Most of the Amish have farms, so any work they do outside of the community takes away from their time on their farms unless they work in a typical Amish business, like furniture manufacturing.

Captain Obvious
11-25-2018, 12:50 AM
No one is going to pay the Amish to work by the hour with manual tools and if they get paid by the job, spending a month building a deck with manual tools won't bring in enough money, plus no one will tolerate the extended building time. The Amish are practical where they have to be. They understand the dance between the worldly and unworldly aspects of their lives. They have to pay taxes and buy those goods that they can't produce for themselves. That takes money. Most of the Amish have farms, so any work they do outside of the community takes away from their time on their farms unless they work in a typical Amish business, like furniture manufacturing.

They could "discount" their rate also.

Sorry, I don't buy it, it's too much of a stretch.

Dr. Who
11-25-2018, 01:11 AM
They could "discount" their rate also.

Sorry, I don't buy it, it's too much of a stretch.

I'm not sure I understand the gist of what you are saying. However, the Amish are not perfect people. There are truly religious Amish and there are also Amish 'operators'. The latter live within the community but are highly materialistic. They avoid being caught doing anything that will cause them to be totally shunned but they play both sides against the middle.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 07:20 AM
What do Democrats have to do with Black Friday madness?

They call America First a nationalist policy, they demonstrate Me First on a daily basis. Even the holidays.

But I do like your last word there, their entire party platform utter madness, your personal obsession with Trump, Common Sense, another example. Madness. Some call it TDD, some call it the Lunatic Left, many call it the insane Left. Your 'madness' term there I like, can I borrow it, it's exactly where I believe you've all gone. Won't use it without permission, I don't plagiarize. But you're right, it is utter madness that your Party often displays.

You can cry you're not a Democrat and didn't vote Hillary later, I'm just asking to use your word there.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure I understand the gist of what you are saying. However, the Amish are not perfect people. There are truly religious Amish and there are also Amish 'operators'. The latter live within the community but are highly materialistic. They avoid being caught doing anything that will cause them to be totally shunned but they play both sides against the middle.

I don't believe anyone is perfect, even you. And I'd be careful, how "highly materialistic operators" live "within the Amish Community" might be a subject quite beyond even your purview, Dr. You're asking readers of your post here to believe you're somehow aware of those "within" a closed community who "avoid being caught", manipulating the communities by "playing both sides."

How is it you're so aware of this quite closed community that as a large part, keeps to itself?

Got some Amish Facebook Friends do ya?

Ransom
11-25-2018, 07:31 AM
Sorry. I didn't know they checked voter registrations before entering stores.

I care so much about the poor souls trying to better themselves by illegally crossing our borders. I care so much about those Trump oppresses so. Get out of my way, that's a 55 inch tv for $99 dollars MFer. Brother and Sister terms end at the mall doors. Do unto others becomes do onto others. America First that is so racist becomes Me First right quick don't it?

Exposing themselves on a daily basis, it's so easy to see the sheep manipulated, so clear how our society is so all about me. The Left and all its' leadership such bad examples. They show us daily how not to behave.

DGUtley
11-25-2018, 07:52 AM
I got up. Went to the gym. Went to the office for a few hours and then went home and raked wet leaves.

DGUtley
11-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Dr. Who, I live just north of Amish country in Ohio and spend a ton of time working with, representing and knowing many Amish. What is the basis for your statement of Amish 'operators' please. I'm curious.

stjames1_53
11-25-2018, 08:15 AM
They call America First a nationalist policy, they demonstrate Me First on a daily basis. Even the holidays.

But I do like your last word there, their entire party platform utter madness, your personal obsession with Trump, Common Sense, another example. Madness. Some call it TDD, some call it the Lunatic Left, many call it the insane Left. Your 'madness' term there I like, can I borrow it, it's exactly where I believe you've all gone. Won't use it without permission, I don't plagiarize. But you're right, it is utter madness that your Party often displays.

You can cry you're not a Democrat and didn't vote Hillary later, I'm just asking to use your word there.

He's a Canadian liberal. Although he wanted Hilly in, he cannot vote here

stjames1_53
11-25-2018, 08:18 AM
I got up. Went to the gym. Went to the office for a few hours and then went home and raked wet leaves.
rake wet leaves? man.........you're a glutton for punishment, but I do admire a man with aspiration

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 08:21 AM

My paternal grandparents went from being Amish to Mennonite back in the '30s. Their Old Order Amish relatives looked down on their "worldliness", I'm sure, but that didn't stop them from borrowing their phone occasionally or catching a ride to town in their car when the horse and buggy wasn't available.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Dr. Who, I live just north of Amish country in Ohio and spend a ton of time working with, representing and knowing many Amish. What is the basis for your statement of Amish 'operators' please. I'm curious.
I too am curious as to how Dr. Who became so knowledgeable concerning events "within the Amish Communities."

Such an amazing wealth of knowledge is our good Dr, how is this possible.

Course, Who might be winging it, we'll see.

DGUtley
11-25-2018, 09:39 AM
I too am curious as to how Dr. Who became so knowledgeable concerning events "within the Amish Communities." Such an amazing wealth of knowledge is our good Dr, how is this possible. Course, Who might be winging it, we'll see.

Dr. Who is not generally know for 'winging it' but we'll see. I truly am curious.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Dr. Who is not generally know for 'winging it' but we'll see. I truly am curious.

No, not generally. Not unheard of either, but I am most curious as to how the good Doctor would know of the inner workings of the Amish communities, sounds like Who has some inside info of the intrigue down to who manipulates that very closed society.

Not really interested in the Amish, have great respect for their maintenance of their culture and religion. I'm more interested in how our own Dr. Who got so f'n smart or if the Doc is winging it. Cause answer B there is what I'm leaning towards.

Dr. Who
11-25-2018, 10:17 AM
They are somewhat worldly Amish who continue to live within the community but may earn income in ways that wouldn't be approved of by the community at large - not criminal acts but still not Amish sanctioned activities. For example, they might run an underground club for Amish youth that plays worldly music or provides youth access to the internet.

DGUtley
11-25-2018, 10:20 AM
They are somewhat worldly Amish who continue to live within the community but may earn income in ways that wouldn't be approved of by the community at large - not criminal acts but still not Amish sanctioned activities. For example, they might run an underground club for Amish youth that plays worldly music or provides youth access to the internet.

I have not seen that but I admittedly am not an expert on the Amish.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 12:58 PM
As Yoda would say...

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.LkRzzdOwjwhcLzgUV7n1UwHaE5&w=154&h=102&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=2&pid=3.1&rm=2 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pic+of+winging+it&id=C25A9A4941C84907F5FDFD8ACE740255A9F238A6&FORM=IQFRBA)

Dr. Who
11-25-2018, 01:30 PM
I have not seen that but I admittedly am not an expert on the Amish.
Nor am I, but there have been documentaries on the lives of the Amish that I've watched and pieces written by ex-Amish that I've read. Also, I worked with a woman for about 10 years who was raised Mennonite but left the community. Her family are tomato farmers. Anabaptists tend to socialize with one another, so I learned quite a bit of inside information about the Amish and Mennonites from her.

At any rate, not all Amish communities are identical, some are more liberal than others and actually use electricity and drive cars. It depends on whether they are New Order or Old Order Amish. However, today it's not uncommon for Amish carpenters to hire out to work construction jobs outside of Old Order communities and they are paid the going rates for their work. They have far more contact with the 'English' than those who just farm. They also pick up some worldly ways and ideas through that contact.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Wow.

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 01:40 PM
My late great-grandfather was as Old Order Amish as one could be. Even refused to speak English most of the time. But in his later years he would allow himself and his wife to be driven down from Indiana to Florida to spend the winters in a very nice resort. Fully wired for electricity, one would assume. :rollseyes:

Ransom
11-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Much better source of information, tell me Standing Wolf....did he know many who stayed true to Amish tradition?

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Much better source of information, tell me Standing Wolf....did he know many who stayed true to Amish tradition?

He who?

Ransom
11-25-2018, 02:18 PM
He who?
Your late great grandfather of course.

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't know. I only saw him at family reunions and I never learned to speak German.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't know. I only saw him at family reunions and I never learned to speak German.

So yourself and Dr. Who as equally clueless as I concerning the inner workings within the Amish communities. Thanks.
Moving on.

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 06:58 PM
So yourself and Dr. Who as equally clueless as I concerning the inner workings within the Amish communities. Thanks.
Moving on.

Why you feel it necessary to discount that Who and I actually do know things first-hand about the Amish is something of a mystery. Okay, whatever. The fact that I never got around to having a conversation with one particular Amish relative is irrelevant. I played with Amish kids as a child, stayed with my Mennonite grandparents for weeks at a time, and had many conversations, as an adult, with other Amish at family reunions, funerals, etc. My grandmother told us stories of her Amish relatives going back generations, remembered everything and was not shy about spilling the beans about just about anything. In addition, I've read at least a dozen books about the Amish, some of them written by relatives. I'm certainly no expert, but I do know a few things, as apparently does Doc Who. If they happen to be things you, for whatever reason, don't want to hear - again, whatever. The interesting thing about facts is that they're true whether you believe them or not.

Ransom
11-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Why you feel it necessary to discount that Who and I actually do know things first-hand about the Amish is something of a mystery.

Not to me, quite plain you're both winging it.

Okay, whatever.

Agreed, whatever is about the extent either of you know on this topic.

The fact that I never got around to having a conversation with one particular Amish relative is irrelevant. I played with Amish kids as a child, stayed with my Mennonite grandparents for weeks at a time, and had many conversations, as an adult, with other Amish at family reunions, funerals, etc. My grandmother told us stories of her Amish relatives going back generations, remembered everything and was not shy about spilling the beans about just about anything. In addition, I've read at least a dozen books about the Amish, some of them written by relatives. I'm certainly no expert, but I do know a few things, as apparently does Doc Who. If they happen to be things you, for whatever reason, don't want to hear - again, whatever. The interesting thing about facts is that they're true whether you believe them or not.

You're not bringing any facts to the table and neither is Dr. Who. Why not quit while you're behind on this one, Wolf.

Beevee
11-25-2018, 10:24 PM
He's a Canadian liberal. Although he wanted Hilly in, he cannot vote here

Look where your vote got you? Did you get a UBER to the voting station? Did he help you to find the candidate's name on the ballot?

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Not to me, quite plain you're both winging it.

Agreed, whatever is about the extent either of you know on this topic.

You're not bringing any facts to the table and neither is Dr. Who. Why not quit while you're behind on this one, Wolf.

Another mystery: how you can converse like an intelligent and reasonable adult in one thread and then behave like a huge, oblivious jerk in another. Not sure who you're showing off for or if it's something out of your control, but in any case you can have the last word if you really believe you need it.

stjames1_53
11-26-2018, 05:57 AM
Look where your vote got you? Did you get a UBER to the voting station? Did he help you to find the candidate's name on the ballot?

what I do and where I go is none of your business