PDA

View Full Version : Thankstaking Day

Ransom
11-25-2018, 01:18 PM
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thanks-taking

Heard this on Progressive Radio today. Skimming through channels, I forgot the host name, I remembered his voice from another radio show, the channel Dems tried to make up and failed at so badly I forgot the name.

Anyway, I've actually done some extensive research into what happened to the Indian Nations that lived here, those west of St. Louis and I must admit, studied through the lens of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Visited Andrew Jackson's Nashville digs and researched the Trail of Tears, what this nation did to the Indians....heinous.

However, the United States doesn't take land rather purchases much of it, a forgotten piece of American history is often how much of it was occupied and/or owned by European empires. Spain, France, England, Russia, what happens to the American Indian when gold is discovered out west if the land were owned by Spain for example, does anyone know what the Spanish did to South American Indians?

What did the British do to foreign tribes, the French, did they colonize or exterminate? And what of the Indian Nations themselves, the inhumane wars they perpetrated on their own kind. When White Man met the Plains Indians, they were at war. They immediately wanted to purchase weapons to kill the enemies that had enslaved their peoples. Slavery, savagery, policies of starvation, these weren't cultures limited to the White Colonialists.

Perspective. I celebrated Thanksgiving.

Standing Wolf
11-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Yes, much of the damage done to the tribes pre-dated the establishment of the U.S. government. The Spanish, in particular, were ruthless in their colonization of the land and subjugation of its residents. (And yes, most educated people do know "what the Spanish did to South American Indians".) There was still plenty done after 1789 that shouldn't be forgotten, certainly.

As for Thanksgiving, I think most Americans have pretty well divorced their thinking about the holiday from its supposed roots in Colonial times - historians question whether much of what we "know" about all that really happened, anyway - and just see it as an opportunity to reunite with family and count their blessings. Even many Indian families observe the holiday. Knowing and acknowledging the tragic history of Western and native interactions over the centuries is no impediment to observing a holiday in which families and friends come together and share a table.

nathanbforrest45
11-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Racist Donald Trump is at it again.