PDA

View Full Version : Second term unlucky

Chris
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
"The economic performance of American presidents tends to deteriorate during their second term"

Some facts...

http://i.snag.gy/9BgZJ.jpg

From Second term unlucky (http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart-14)

GrassrootsConservative
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Let the records show that Ronald Reagan is the only president since Truman to do better (economically) in his second term than in his first term. Clinton doesn't count because he's a perjurer.

Carygrant
01-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Let the records show that Ronald Reagan is the only president since Truman to do better (economically) in his second term than in his first term. Clinton doesn't count because he's a perjurer.

Any President that can win greater second term success can be fed a vestal virgin a day if that is what it takes .
Interesting research project-- study OP's location background , looking for source of huge lead contamination levels .

Carygrant
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
"The economic performance of American presidents tends to deteriorate during their second term"

Great . Another Chris Cartoon Graph .
For a start there are 3 from 11 who achieved greater second term performance .
But Calvin Coolidge had the Great depression lead up to contend with , and only a bigot would really want to include him in this" fun "exercise .
That means that 30% of Presidents achieved greater second term performance.
Not very impressive or useful predictor either way .
It wouldn't surprise me if Roosevelt and Johnson's performances were affected by atypical expenditures in their second terms --- WW2 and Vietnam respectively.
If that is fair , this predictor cartoon graph has a sensible 50-50 value,
But I can get that from flipping a coin in the air .

Very sloppy work .But that's why they are called Cartoon Graphs from Chris .

Chris
01-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Other than disgracing the office, Clinton didn't do to bad. He announced the end of big government, lol.

Cigar
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Let the Record show ... Ronald Reagan's idea's have been Filibustered by the 112th Congress :laugh:

Peter1469
01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Other than disgracing the office, Clinton didn't do to bad. He announced the end of big government, lol.

Clinton has a pretty lucky economy and international situation to deal with.

GrumpyDog
01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Great . Another Chris Cartoon Graph .
For a start there are 3 from 11 who achieved greater second term performance .
But Calvin Coolidge had the Great depression lead up to contend with , and only a bigot would really want to include him in this" fun "exercise .
That means that 30% of Presidents achieved greater second term performance.
Not very impressive or useful predictor either way .
It wouldn't surprise me if Roosevelt and Johnson's performances were affected by atypical expenditures in their second terms --- WW2 and Vietnam respectively.
If that is fair , this predictor cartoon graph has a sensible 50-50 value,
But I can get that from flipping a coin in the air .

Very sloppy work .But that's why they are called Cartoon Graphs from Chris .

Agree with about 30%, while uncertain about the other 70% of your post.

Chris
01-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Agree with about 30%, while uncertain about the other 70% of your post.

I've been told 90% of what you hear is BS, some say 95%.

Chris
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Which goes to say a president's reputation is a victim of circumstances, iow, presidents play only a small part in the wealth and health of a nation.

Peter1469
01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Which goes to say a president's reputation is a victim of circumstances, iow, presidents play only a small part in the wealth and health of a nation.

Yes.

And also says that Presidents are constrained by the geopolitical realities that they face.

Chris
01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes.

And also says that Presidents are constrained by the geopolitical realities that they face.

Just wish they'd be constrained by the limitations of the Constitution!

Carygrant
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I've been told 90% of what you hear is BS, some say 95%.

You are bad and hopeless with your cartoon graphs . But don't start beating yourself up over it .

Pete7469
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Not sure how much more deterioration we can handle.

He also had a legislative branch that forced him to make compromises, unlike the spineless GOP we seem to be stuck with now.