PDA

View Full Version : Lobbyists have paid five of the Senators who shot down Yemen bill

Just AnotherPerson
11-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Lobbyists have paid five of the Senators who shot down Yemen bill
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/pro-saudi-lobbyists-paid-5-senators-voted-yemen-bill-181129075933213.html

At least five of the 37 Republican Senators who voted against advancing a resolution limiting the United States's involvement in the war in Yemen have received campaign contributions from pro-Saudi lobbying groups.

Roy Blunt, John Boozman, Richard Burr, Mike Crapo and Tim Scott all received financial contributions from firms representing Saudi interests between 2016 and 2017, according to a recent investigation (https://www.ciponline.org/images/uploads/actions/Saudi_Lobby_How_the_Kingdom_Wins_in_Washington.pdf ) by the Centre for International Policy (CIP).

Blunt, one of the two Senators from Missouri, received at least $19,200 in campaign contributions from firms representing Saudi Arabia in 2017, the CIP said, with Boozman, Burr, Crapo and Scott, representing Arkansas, North Carolina, Idaho and South Carolina respectively, receiving contributions ranging from $1,000-$2,500 between 2016 and 2017.

Last year, the oil-rich kingdom spent at least $24m (https://truthout.org/articles/saudi-foreign-agents-political-donations-top-1-6-million-in-2018-elections/) to influence US policy and public opinion, according to disclosures to the Department of Justice made available through the Center for Responsive Politics' Foreign Lobby Watch tool.

Around $18m of that was paid to foreign agents acting on behalf of Saudi interests in 2017 and another $6m in spending has already been reported this year.

Toober
11-29-2018, 09:19 PM
yep, thats what lobbyists do...

they buy support.

get rid of all of them. make lobbying illegal.

Peter1469
11-29-2018, 09:25 PM

they buy support.

That pesky Constitution gets in the way again.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for aredress of grievances." - First Amendment to the Constitution.

Just AnotherPerson
11-29-2018, 09:42 PM

they buy support.

It should be illegal. I hope one day it will be. We already have politicians who have signed a pact to no longer receive PAC money. I find that to be commendable. I feel no one should be able to buy a vote. It means that our representatives are no longer our representatives when they no longer represent those who elected them into office.

https://khanna.house.gov/media/press-releases/release-house-members-start-no-pac-money-caucus

https://khanna.house.gov/sites/khanna.house.gov/files/032717_TheNOPACAct.pdf

Toober
11-29-2018, 09:44 PM

yes, it certainly does in this instance.

however, imo, theres a difference between free speech/association and buying influence.

Toober
11-29-2018, 09:46 PM
It should be illegal. I hope one day it will be. We already have politicians who have signed a pact to no longer receive PAC money. I find that to be commendable. I feel no one should be able to buy a vote. It means that our representatives are no longer our representatives when they no longer represent those who elected them into office.

https://khanna.house.gov/media/press-releases/release-house-members-start-no-pac-money-caucus

https://khanna.house.gov/sites/khanna.house.gov/files/032717_TheNOPACAct.pdf

"I feel no one should be able to buy a vote. It means that our representatives are no longer our representatives when they no longer represent those who elected them into office".

i agree.

Just AnotherPerson
11-29-2018, 09:47 PM
I suppose I should have included it in the title these campaign contributions were from firms representing Saudi Arabia , I thought the article would be clear enough on that. But I think it matters. I should have put it in the title.

Beevee
11-29-2018, 09:49 PM

Is there anything in the constitution that says the funds can't be limited to specific figure, per member?

Safety
11-29-2018, 09:55 PM
I suppose I should have included it in the title these campaign contributions were from firms representing Saudi Arabia , I thought the article would be clear enough on that. But I think it matters. I should have put it in the title.

Most people don't even read the OP, they comment based upon the title.

Just AnotherPerson
11-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Well I thought about it when making the thread but I did my best to not come off as hyperbole, but it does seem like it was needed in the title. I definitely should have been more clear on this.

Helena
11-29-2018, 10:02 PM
It was right in the OP. It was clear for anyone who bothered to read it.

Safety
11-29-2018, 10:14 PM
Well I thought about it when making the thread but I did my best to not come off as hyperbole, but it does seem like it was needed in the title. I definitely should have been more clear on this.

You did nothing wrong, I was just saying that many members do not even take the time to read the initial post or link, they just go off of the thread title.

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 12:54 AM
Obviously you are among the most.

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 12:56 AM
You did nothing wrong, I was just saying that many members do not even take the time to read the initial post or link, they just go off of the thread title.
Like you.

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 01:02 AM

https://khanna.house.gov/sites/khanna.house.gov/files/032717_TheNOPACAct.pdfLobbying should be illegal? Should it be illegal for you to lobby your elected representatives? Whether you like it or not, everyone is allowed to address their issues with our elected officials.

People like you support lobbying as long as they are promoting your preferred issues.

Just AnotherPerson
11-30-2018, 02:16 AM
Lobbying should be illegal? Should it be illegal for you to lobby your elected representatives? Whether you like it or not, everyone is allowed to address their issues with our elected officials.

People like you support lobbying as long as they are promoting your preferred issues.
Not the truth, They are our representatives not the representatives of the corporations, or other nations. These were firms representing Saudi Arabia. When another nation pays our politicians and our politicians do their bidding that is not right.

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Not the truth, They are our representatives not the representatives of the corporations, or other nations. These were firms representing Saudi Arabia. When another nation pays our politicians and our politicians do their bidding that is not right.

Corporations are a driving force of our economy. Corporations can have a voice just like you.

you need to quit thinking like a partisan hack.

Just AnotherPerson
11-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Corporations are a driving force of our economy. Corporations can have a voice just like you.

you need to quit thinking like a partisan hack.
I do not agree with you at all. What is a partisan hack? Maybe you no comprehende These were firms representing Saudi Arabia, But that is right you are all in for being sold out by another nation. Just because you are so much more American than the rest of us and you don't mind being sold out to another nation, don't expect the rest of us to be on board your sinking ship.

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 03:41 AM
I do not agree with you at all. What is a partisan hack? Maybe you no comprehende These were firms representing Saudi Arabia, But that is right you are all in for being sold out by another nation. Just because you are so much more American than the rest of us and you don't mind being sold out to another nation, don't expect the rest of us to be on board your sinking ship.
I know you don’t agree. You’re a partisan hack.

Just AnotherPerson
11-30-2018, 03:48 AM

What is a partisan hack?

Partisan Hack. someone who cares more about supporting a particular party or ideology than supporting what is morally right, or factually true. you may be a partisan hack if: – the other side is to blame totally for all that is wrong in the country.

Well I looked it up since you wouldn't tell me what it meant. That is funny. It is the other way around you are the partisan Hack ha ha ha that is so hilarious! Ah well I gotta go to sleep thank you for the good time though. You sure did make me laugh. I thought you said I was controlled by feelings and what is morally right. The description is the opposite of that, it is the description of what you always say, your stances are. And everything wrong is the democrats fault. That is so great. Good night Tahuyaman. I hope you have a good night. That was great...……….

Tahuyaman
11-30-2018, 04:30 AM
What is a partisan hack?

You are.

Peter1469
11-30-2018, 06:29 AM

however, imo, theres a difference between free speech/association and buying influence.
I tend to agree, but how do you define it without running afoul of the First Amendment?

Peter1469
11-30-2018, 06:30 AM
Is there anything in the constitution that says the funds can't be limited to specific figure, per member?

In my quote I pasted the entire 1st Amendment.

DGUtley
11-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Obviously you are among the most.

Like you.

NOTICE - Tahuyaman TB'd for name-calling, trolling and bad faith posting.

Captdon
11-30-2018, 10:43 AM

So, you'd do what?

donttread
11-30-2018, 06:06 PM

they buy support.

Bulldoze "K" street

Captdon
11-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Lobbying should be illegal? Should it be illegal for you to lobby your elected representatives? Whether you like it or not, everyone is allowed to address their issues with our elected officials.

She wanted us all to write our Representatives and Senators. Umm. JAP, that's lobbying. I wrote to mine. Graham voted to get in on the floor but he still won't vote to pass it. Scott is my other Senator. That's going to be 2-0. I missed my calling.

Captdon
11-30-2018, 06:16 PM

Yemen is the sinking ship. It won't matter who's on board when it goes down.

donttread
11-30-2018, 06:29 PM
I tend to agree, but how do you define it without running afoul of the First Amendment?

Paying third parties to make your case for you along with any connection to money. Educate all you want , lobbying is different.