PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Daniels Latches Onto Purdue

Taxcutter
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Mitch didn’t go to Purdue to be a glorified fund-raiser. His entire career has been as a budget cutter. His cost controls are still in place at eli Lilly and they help kept the place afloat in the boom-and-bust pharmaceutical biz. Mitch and the GOP-dominated legislature cut serious fat out of the state budget and left Governor pence in good shape to do some more.

There is no doubt Mitch intends to slice off great slabs of bloat from Purdue and make it a model for major universities nationwide. Here’s his letter to Purdue.

http://www.purdue.edu/president/index.html

Big quote:

“College costs too much and delivers too little. Students are leaving, when they graduate at all, with loads of debt but without evidence that they grew much in either knowledge or critical thinking.
Administrative costs, splurging on "resort" amenities, and an obsession with expensive capital projects have run up the cost to students without enhancing the value of the education they receive.
Rigor has weakened. Grade inflation has drained the meaning from grade point averages and left the diploma in many cases as merely a surrogate marker for the intelligence required to gain admission in the first place.
The system lacks accountability for results. No one can tell if one school is performing any better than another.
The mission of undergraduate instruction is increasingly subordinated to research and to work with graduate students.
Too many professors are spending too much time "writing papers for each other," researching abstruse topics of no real utility and no real incremental contribution to human knowledge or understanding.
Diversity is prized except in the most important realm of all, diversity of thought. The academies that, through the unique system of tenure, once enshrined freedom of opinion and inquiry now frequently are home to the narrowest sort of closed-mindedness and the worst repression of dissident ideas.
Athletics, particularly in NCAA Division I, is out of control both financially and as a priority of university attention.

Taxcutter says:
Will Mitch completely remake Purdue? No. that will take a generation and maybe a half-dozen Presidents. The bloat and corruption is too deeply entrenched to root out overnight. But he’ll make a good start of it.

The fur is gonna fly and very little of it will be Mitch’s.

Taxcutter
01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Mitch looks to address two components of the underlying problem the OWS people squawked ineffectively about - universities cost a lot and don't deliver skills that get jobs.

patrickt
01-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Mitch looks to address two components of the underlying problem the OWS people squawked ineffectively about - universities cost a lot and don't deliver skills that get jobs.

It's not just skills that get jobs. I had a man with a Ph.D. apply for a job as a dog catcher. When he didn't get the job he threatened to sue because a man with a Ph.D. is obviously going to be a superior dog catcher. Another man with a Ph.D. applied to be a police officer and spent an hour justifying and explaining why it was appropriate for him to fund his education by stealing an average of $2,000 worth of property a month.

These two didn't even learn to function minimally in the real world. Perhaps they are odd examples but I don't think so. A man with a Masters degree in Psychology, who was hired as a police officer, was having problems with his wife. They adopted a child. Three years later they divorced and returned the baby. Had it been up to me, I wouldn't have hired him for any job.

Mainecoons
01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
And Purdue is one of the better ones.

What a spot on indictment of our leftist dominated, failing university system. Yep, be it government or schools or whatever, put the left in charge and failure will soon ensue.