PDA

View Full Version : Michael Cohen

Adelaide
12-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Michael Cohen’s decision to plead guilty to lying to Congress on Thursday was remarkable for three reasons.

The first was that Cohen walked into a Manhattan federal courtroom unannounced. He did it by surprise. We live in a political environment characterized by constant leaks, each choreographed more carefully than a public announcement. The drama of learning what’s going to happen at an event, rather than before the event, has mostly disappeared. But Cohen’s plea, a momentous development in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, happened with no warning. That reflects admirable discipline in Mueller’s office.

The second remarkable thing was that the plea happened at all. Cohen already pleaded guilty (http://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/michael-cohen-trump-lawyer-plea-deal-fbi/index.html) in August to eight federal felonies, including tax fraud, bank fraud, and campaign-finance violations. That plea already ended his career and exposed him to at least several years in federal prison (https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/politics/read-michael-cohen-plea-deal/index.html). By contrast, Cohen’s new plea is to a lone count of lying to Congress in violation of Title 18 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001), United States Code, Section 1001 —a weapon Mueller has wielded ruthlessly against President Donald Trump’s followers, including Michael Flynn, George Papadopoulos, Rick Gates, and Paul Manafort. The conviction won’t increase Cohen’s sentence, and the additional felony count won’t have any perceptible impact on his life. If anything, by adding a cooperation term to his plea agreement, this new plea gives him an opportunity to reduce his sentence...

The third remarkable thing about Cohen’s plea was its substance. The president of the United States’ personal lawyer admitted to lying to Congress about the president’s business activities with a hostile foreign power, in order to support the president’s story. In any rational era, that would be earthshaking. Now it’s barely a blip. Over the past two years, we’ve become accustomed to headlines like “President’s Campaign Manager Convicted of Fraud” and “President’s Personal Lawyer Paid for Adult Actress’s Silence.” We’re numb to it all. But these are the sorts of developments that would, under normal circumstances, end a presidency.

Three remarkable things about Michael Cohen's plea - The Atlantic (https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/three-remarkable-things-about-michael-cohens-plea/577015/)

Yes, yes, liberal media.

Let's discuss the actual issue: Do you think that Michael Cohen is lying? Do you think that Michael Cohen has truly flipped? Do you think Michael Cohen is full of crap? Do you think he is simply trying to get himself the best outcome? Do you think this will actually help the Mueller investigation?

Common
12-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Ok first of all im all for putting anyone in prison if they are convicted of a crime.

Michael Cohen reeks of revenge on trump for not pardoning him, if trump committed a crime he needs to pay the price. Unfotunately democrats and repubicans alike slink out from under it most of the time.

Lawyers like Cohen do things on their own that their clients might not know, like Avanatti filed charges on trump without telling Stormy Daniels she had no idea he was doing that.

Cohen is coward you can see it in his eyes, the man lacks substance and fortitude and Mueller and his crew easily bullied him and frightened him to his marrow.

I dont believe he walked in anywhere on his own and pled guilty, I believe it was staged and the plea deal is already made.

Peter1469
12-01-2018, 01:58 PM
I am not sure that his claims about Trump's business contacts in Russia matter.

Common
12-01-2018, 02:05 PM
I believe the mueller investigation is not about removing trump anymore, its about damaging him as much as possible for the 2020 election, they will drag this out as long as they can and come up with something to try and turn the country even more against him

Safety
12-01-2018, 02:50 PM
One would have to juxtapose Obama’s name for Trump in order to have the reaction that such a revelation would’ve had on the hard right when they used to care about honesty and morals.

Like it has been said before, Trump could shoot someone in in cold blood at Times Square and his supporters would just say that person needed shooting.

countryboy
12-01-2018, 03:05 PM
I believe the mueller investigation is not about removing trump anymore, its about damaging him as much as possible for the 2020 election, they will drag this out as long as they can and come up with something to try and turn the country even more against him

More than that, it's about covering up the misdeeds of the Obama administration, and Hillary.

MisterVeritis
12-01-2018, 03:13 PM
One would have to juxtapose Obama’s name for Trump in order to have the reaction that such a revelation would’ve had on the hard right when they used to care about honesty and morals.

Like it has been said before, Trump could shoot someone in in cold blood at Times Square and his supporters would just say that person needed shooting.
What do you find to be dishonest about building things?

Haven't I corrected your Trump-saying before? Candidate Trump was commenting on what the enemedia was saying about Trump's loyal followers. "They say (meaning the enemedia) I could shoot someone...and not lose any followers."

The enemedia didn't make President Trump. So they lack the means to separate Trump's followers from the President.

Hoosier8
12-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Mueller is running out of credible witnesses. So far they are all alleged liars.

Captdon
12-01-2018, 05:36 PM
Three remarkable things about Michael Cohen's plea - The Atlantic (https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/three-remarkable-things-about-michael-cohens-plea/577015/)

Yes, yes, liberal media.

Let's discuss the actual issue: Do you think that Michael Cohen is lying? Do you think that Michael Cohen has truly flipped? Do you think Michael Cohen is full of crap? Do you think he is simply trying to get himself the best outcome? Do you think this will actually help the Mueller investigation?

Cohen pleaded guilty to lying. What's to think about? He will lie again to keep this deal from folding. Mueller can get him to say whatever he wants.

It will have no effect on the Mueller investigation. Nothing could. He was given an agenda to fulfill. He has obviously failed. If he had found anything illegal by Trump he would have reported it to Congress. He couldn't allow a President to stay in office as a felon, now could he? No, he can't remove the President but he also can't keep evidence from Congress about a possible removal from office.. He doesn't have that power. If he did withhold it, he should be jailed.

Common
12-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Please do you always think you are talking to people that have no memories or that dont know the truth.

Obama enjoyed nothing but praises from the media, they covered up all his failures, they didnt report any of his negatives.

Obama did nothing for most of america, but im not going to waste my time with this again.

Common
12-01-2018, 06:05 PM
More than that, it's about covering up the misdeeds of the Obama administration, and Hillary.
Everyone covers for obama and his dirty deeds

countryboy
12-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Everyone covers for obama and his dirty deeds

Yep, always have. It's astonishing that a man with Obama's background, and ideology could serve two terms as POTUS. I guess we were pretty much lost as a nation at that point. Trump gave me hope, but after Spygate, and the behavior of libs during the Kavanaugh debacle, the fact that there wasn't a red wave, reinforces my earlier belief that America is lost. I believe we have passed the point of no return.

Common
12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Yep, always have. It's astonishing that a man with Obama's background, and ideology could serve two terms as POTUS. I guess we were pretty much lost as a nation at that point. Trump gave me hope, but after Spygate, and the behavior of libs during the Kavanaugh debacle, the fact that there wasn't a red wave, reinforces my earlier belief that America is lost. I believe we have passed the point of no return.
The left keeps trying to make Obama out to be a superstar, when he was the most pampered covered president ever, the media did nothing but sing his praises.

If trump would have tried a regime change in libya to get Khadafi out could YOU EVEN IMAGINE THE RAGE AND RANTING of racism and hate that would have gone on.

Obama started a war on police that stopped the day he and Lynch left the white house, he presided over a recession and broke records for the most americans on food stamps and out of work, all that started to change the minute he left the whitehouse. These are coincidences but demonstrations of his failure and his distorted priorities. 2008 Obama promised to close gitmo, 2018 its still open.

Tahuyaman
12-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Yes, yes, liberal media.

The only way Cohen can hurt Trump is if he makes stuff up. Mueller is not above pressuring someone to make up a story and then using that as a justification for an indictment. He's done things like that in the past.

He's facing a prison or jail sentence. He's trying to figure out a way to either get a short sentence or get out of it all together.

I do think that Mueller will use this as a justification to keep his investigation going and stay on the gravy train. I do believe that this investigation will continue until Donald Trump's final day in office if that's in two more years or six more years.

countryboy
12-01-2018, 06:59 PM
The left keeps trying to make Obama out to be a superstar, when he was the most pampered covered president ever, the media did nothing but sing his praises.

If trump would have tried a regime change in libya to get Khadafi out could YOU EVEN IMAGINE THE RAGE AND RANTING of racism and hate that would have gone on.

Obama started a war on police that stopped the day he and Lynch left the white house, he presided over a recession and broke records for the most americans on food stamps and out of work, all that started to change the minute he left the whitehouse. These are coincidences but demonstrations of his failure and his distorted priorities. 2008 Obama promised to close gitmo, 2018 its still open.

And yet, he is revered by leftist loons worldwide. It is his type of ideology that has led to tyranny through history, and into the modern age. Meanwhile, they grossly refer to Trump as an authoritarian, Hitler-like figure. It is truly astonishing.

Tahuyaman
12-01-2018, 07:02 PM

It was well known that Trump was trying to do business in Russia. Cohen's plea means nothing.