PDA

View Full Version : Warning: 1.4 Million Ex Felons Can Now Vote In Florida

Agent Zero
12-02-2018, 05:55 PM
https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/nation/million-ex-felons-in-florida-are-getting-voting-rights-back/article_fdfa27fa-cc20-55bc-981c-6ed3da39cbac.html

How will this affect Florida elections in the future?

ORLANDO, Fla. — On Jan. 8, David Ayala and thousands of former felons will be able to walk into their county elections office and do something they had been banned by law from doing before — register to vote.

“This moment is a lifetime moment for me,” said Ayala, husband of Orange-Osceola State Attorney Aramis Ayala whose first felony drug conviction came at age 16. “I lost the right to vote before I was even eligible to vote. … Now I’ll be able to vote for my wife in the next election.”

But as Amendment 4 supporters celebrate the restoration of voting rights to more than 1.4 million non-violent ex-felons in Florida, it’s still not known just how many will actually join Ayala and take that step.

Hoosier8
12-02-2018, 05:57 PM
It’s a state issue. Other states allow voting too.

Peter1469
12-02-2018, 06:05 PM
I wonder how many will vote. The general population has a surprisingly low voting rate.

roadmaster
12-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Yes that is what Trump was talking about in his reform. It's a good thing for non violent felons. You know today unlike when I was a kid there is too many acts that are felony charges that wasn't back then.

Adelaide
12-02-2018, 06:22 PM
I see no problem with allowing ex-felons the ability to vote. Something stupid like 75% of them will be back in prison within 5 years, so they may not get many opportunities to vote, though.

MisterVeritis
12-02-2018, 06:36 PM
https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/nation/million-ex-felons-in-florida-are-getting-voting-rights-back/article_fdfa27fa-cc20-55bc-981c-6ed3da39cbac.html

ORLANDO, Fla. — On Jan. 8, David Ayala and thousands of former felons will be able to walk into their county elections office and do something they had been banned by law from doing before — register to vote.

“This moment is a lifetime moment for me,” said Ayala, husband of Orange-Osceola State Attorney Aramis Ayala whose first felony drug conviction came at age 16. “I lost the right to vote before I was even eligible to vote. … Now I’ll be able to vote for my wife in the next election.”

But as Amendment 4 supporters celebrate the restoration of voting rights to more than 1.4 million non-violent ex-felons in Florida, it’s still not known just how many will actually join Ayala and take that step.

I wonder if they already know voting for Democrats is better than armed robbery?

Agent Zero
12-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I see no problem with allowing ex-felons the ability to vote. Something stupid like 75% of them will be back in prison within 5 years, so they may not get many opportunities to vote, though.
That's probably the dumbest post from you I've ever read. Like the conservatives on this forum, would you please do some research before you spew stupidity?

This is all you had to do...

https://www.google.com/search?q=recividism+rate+of+felons+in+florida&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS735US735&oq=recividism+rate+of+felons+in+florida&aqs=chrome..69i57.9670j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hoosier8
12-02-2018, 07:03 PM
That's probably the dumbest post from you I've ever read. Like the conservatives on this forum, would you please do some research before you spew stupidity?

https://www.google.com/search?q=recividism+rate+of+felons+in+florida&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS735US735&oq=recividism+rate+of+felons+in+florida&aqs=chrome..69i57.9670j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, Adelaide got it wrong, it’s 83%.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/18upr9yfup0514.pdf

Agent Zero
12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Yeah, @Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473) got it wrong, it’s 83%.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/18upr9yfup0514.pdf

What's that got to do with Florida?

Aside from the fact that you don't understand the process, you need to back and read some of those links.

Adelaide
12-02-2018, 07:12 PM

At least I can spell recidivism...

And actually, data from the Department of Justice (including the Bureau of Justice Statistics and the National Institute of Justice) support 75% at 5 years - actually, 76.6% as of 2010.

donttread
12-02-2018, 07:13 PM

You mean people who have paid their debt to society will have citizenship rights again? Damn!

nathanbforrest45
12-02-2018, 07:28 PM
I never understood how you can lose your right to vote AFTER you served your debt to society. If the law read if you are convicted of grand theft auto for example you will be sentenced to 10 years in Raiford and the loss of your voting privileges for ever that is one thing but that is not the law.

MisterVeritis
12-02-2018, 07:45 PM

Aside from the fact that you don't understand the process, you need to back and read some of those links.
Florida was one of the 30 evaluated States.

roadmaster
12-02-2018, 07:50 PM
It's not just for Florida, they want all states to adopt this prison reform bill. They can vote, get jobs, a second chance.

Common
12-02-2018, 08:16 PM
52% of prisoners return to prison in indvidual states it can be higher or lower, in fla its higher and polls in fla indicate that its split ex cons will vote dem and republican.

Google is an arm of the DNC, it restricts searchs that put anything liberal in a bad light, its no secret.

If you use other search engines you get different results not always but enough to let you see the forrest through the trees.

Recidivism rate in fla is very HIGH the average is 52% nationally.

Common
12-02-2018, 09:22 PM

It has everything to do with you being wrong again and fudging facts Lol

Before you post you should check your facts and use reliable sources :)

Safety
12-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Google is an arm of the DNC, it restricts searchs that put anything liberal in a bad light, its no secret.

If you use other search engines you get different results not always but enough to let you see the forrest through the trees.

:rofl:

Just in, Encyclopedia Britannia is fake news.

Common
12-02-2018, 10:22 PM

Wont work safety but once again nice try :) I realize you have as most liberals do great difficulty acknowledgeing reality or any thing that doesnt agree with your point of view. Unfortunately for you and others like you, you are going to have even more disapointment with that going forward. :)

Mister D
12-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Is that the official encyclopedia of Britain?

Safety
12-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Oooooooh, burned over a missing letter.

Common
12-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Oooooooh, burned over a missing letter.
The mispell shaming is mostly a liberal thing :)

Tahuyaman
12-02-2018, 11:23 PM
I don't see a problem as long as they take the steps required to restore their voting rights. I think these people should not have their voting rights resotored without some action on their part.

Cletus
12-03-2018, 01:14 AM
There is no such thing as an ex-felon. There are only felons who have completed their sentence.

DGUtley
12-03-2018, 03:47 AM

NOTICE - Mister D TB’d at request of OP.

MMC
12-03-2018, 08:09 AM
1.4 Million Ex Felons Can Now Vote In Florida

Yep, the Demos are desperate for votes and will do anything to get more votes. Just wait until they start talking about giving Robots the right to vote.

Mini Me
12-03-2018, 04:43 PM
I never understood how you can lose your right to vote AFTER you served your debt to society. If the law read if you are convicted of grand theft auto for example you will be sentenced to 10 years in Raiford and the loss of your voting privileges for ever that is one thing but that is not the law.

Good point!

Mini Me
12-03-2018, 04:46 PM

You are a Google conspiricist!

Hoosier8
12-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Good point!
I do believe that it does not apply to felons that have committed a violent crime.

If I remember correctly there was a Bonanza episode where the man accused of a crime was shunned by everyone except the Cartwrights because he had served his time. Many felony crimes are not violent crimes and since it is up to the States to restore rights, many have. 13 states and DC have restored rights to vote in state and local elections. The state I live in is considered a red state and have restored this.

I think it is time to restore voting in Federal elections for those that have served their time for selected crimes.

Some crimes have a very very high recidivism rates such as child sexual assault. Those should not be restored.

Common
12-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Stop the Personal Insults further moderation will follow