PDA

View Full Version : Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas...

Chris
12-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Like "Silent Sam," Hogg is being returned to campus, just a new location.

https://i.snag.gy/UWvA6y.jpg

Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas after being taken down last year (https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/420319-confederate-statue-returning-to-university-of-texas-campus-after-being)

A statue of a segregationist politician is returning to the University of Texas campus in Austin less than two years after it was removed.

The statue of James Hogg, the son of a Confederate general, will be relocated to another part of campus later this month, University of Texas president Gregory Fenves announced in a letter to the community Thursday.

James Hogg was governor of Texas from 1891 to 1895; while serving in that role signed the state’s first Jim Crow bill into law, according to the Dallas News.

When the statue was first removed from the south mall on campus in August of 2017, along with three statues of confederate generals, Fenves wrote that “events make it clear, now more than ever, that Confederate monuments have become symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism.”

UT spokesman J.B. Bird told the Dallas News that “there are definitely parts of [Hogg’s] history that are disturbing and there are parts worth celebrating."

Fenves said when the statue was originally removed that it was always the intention that Hogg’s statue would come back to campus, albeit in a different location.

The other three monuments, including one of Robert E. Lee, all are being housed in the school’s Dolph Briscoe Center for American History.

In the letter sent out Thursday, Fenves wrote that Hogg has a “complicated and nuanced legacy," but defended his positives, including Hogg’s advocacy for public and higher education.

“Governor Hogg and his descendants made many contributions to UT Austin and to the state. His statue has been part of the campus for more than 80 years and will continue to represent the legacy of the Hogg family in its new location,” Fenves wrote.

donttread
12-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Like "Silent Sam," Hogg is being returned to campus, just a new location.

https://i.snag.gy/UWvA6y.jpg

Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas after being taken down last year (https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/420319-confederate-statue-returning-to-university-of-texas-campus-after-being)

I almost get their point with some statues, including this guy. But what kids have to understand that you must judge people , in part, based upon the times they lived in and that you can throw darts at any leader. Even black and female leaders.
It's never about the man, it's about what he accomplished and of course about what he donated. Real world 101 kids.

Safety
12-11-2018, 09:30 AM
That's like saying we should only judge Hitler based upon the time he lived in....except in that case, even at that time, Hitler was an asshole. No, I think people should judge the actions of people, based upon the actions those people took, regardless of the time they lived in.

It's like when people say, "well, he used the n-word, but that's ok because it was a different time". No, that is not ok, because even during that time, there were decent people who knew that word was derogatory and chose not to use it, so the excuse of weak minded people being weak, won't fly.

Chris
12-11-2018, 09:48 AM
That's like saying we should only judge Hitler based upon the time he lived in....except in that case, even at that time, Hitler was an asshole. No, I think people should judge the actions of people, based upon the actions those people took, regardless of the time they lived in.

It's like when people say, "well, he used the n-word, but that's ok because it was a different time". No, that is not ok, because even during that time, there were decent people who knew that word was derogatory and chose not to use it, so the excuse of weak minded people being weak, won't fly.

I don't think the point has anything to do with how we judge this Democrat and how he supported institutional racism, we should judge him. The point is we should not, no matter how sensitive some are, hide him from history as if he and it never existed.

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:03 AM
I don't think the point has anything to do with how we judge this Democrat and how he supported institutional racism, we should judge him. The point is we should not, no matter how sensitive some are, hide him from history as if he and it never existed.

No, that is exactly the point, just like you made it a point to highlight his party affiliation. The only difference is that with your point, you are being intellectually dishonest because Hogg would be 100% compatible with the GOP today than the Democratic Party. But, as usual, that is the only argument you are able to make, so I understand why you try so hard to change history.

Tahuyaman
12-11-2018, 10:08 AM

I completely agree that our history should not be ignored or erased. However, I don't see anything wrong with relocating these statues. But as usual, Saftey misses the mark with his comment.

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
I completely agree that our history should not be ignored or erased. However, I don't see anything wrong with relocating these statues. But as usual, Saftey misses the mark with his comment.

Evidently I did not miss the mark, it was hit so hard that I am imprinted on your mind.

Chris
12-11-2018, 10:15 AM

They seem to be relocating these statues to more historical sites or museums, so it's a good move.

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Moving a statue to a museum is not "erasing" history. If you want to see it everyday as a reminder of how the good ol days were, then take a picture.

Chris
12-11-2018, 10:16 AM
No, that is exactly the point, just like you made it a point to highlight his party affiliation. The only difference is that with your point, you are being intellectually dishonest because Hogg would be 100% compatible with the GOP today than the Democratic Party. But, as usual, that is the only argument you are able to make, so I understand why you try so hard to change history.

Nice twisting of what I said and of history to boot.

The point of preserving history is, well, simply that, to preserve it.

Chris
12-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Moving a statue to a museum is not "erasing" history. If you want to see it everyday as a reminder of how the good ol days were, then take a picture.

You're right, it's not erasing history, it's preserving it.

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Nice twisting of what I said and of history to boot.

The point of preserving history is, well, simply that, to preserve it.

There was no twist involved, if you don't like how your words sound, choose a different tone. I'm done suffering any fools or attempting to find a middle of the road solution. There is preserving history and then there is reliving history, moving a statue to a museum is preserving history, whining about it is reliving history.

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:21 AM
You're right, it's not erasing history, it's preserving it.

Always, you should get used to it.

Tahuyaman
12-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Evidently I did not miss the mark, it was hit so hard that I am imprinted on your mind.

You missed the mark. Just as you did with your latest retort

Safety
12-11-2018, 10:25 AM
You missed the mark. Just as you did with your latest retort

Keep saying it, maybe one day it will come true. You must have the "smocking gun".

Tahuyaman
12-11-2018, 10:25 AM
They seem to be relocating these statues to more historical sites or museums, so it's a good move.

Correct. I don't see any problem with that. Of course I'm sure that there are some that won't be satisfied with that either.

Tahuyaman
12-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Keep saying it, maybe one day it will come true. You must have the "smocking gun".

Aaaand again.

Chris
12-11-2018, 10:30 AM
There was no twist involved, if you don't like how your words sound, choose a different tone. I'm done suffering any fools or attempting to find a middle of the road solution. There is preserving history and then there is reliving history, moving a statue to a museum is preserving history, whining about it is reliving history.

My words sound fine, your twistings of them sound distorted.

Glad you're done with all the BS.

Who's whining about moving the statue to a museum, I just said it's a good move. Yet another of your attempts at twisting words.

Safety
12-11-2018, 12:11 PM
My words sound fine, your twistings of them sound distorted.

Glad you're done with all the BS.

Who's whining about moving the statue to a museum, I just said it's a good move. Yet another of your attempts at twisting words.

Giving a self assessment of your words is akin to a mental patient saying he's sane. There was no twisting done, if you think so, maybe it's your mind that is the issue.

zachroidott
12-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Always, you should get used to it.

That is incorrect.

Safety
12-11-2018, 01:25 PM
That is incorrect.

You sure told me.

:rollseyes:

Common
12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
The statue is going back where it belongs and that seems to be chafing the wannabe makers of a new american history arses. Poor Babies

Safety
12-11-2018, 02:00 PM
The statue is going back where it belongs and that seems to be chafing the wannabe makers of a new american history arses. Poor Babies

Absolutely, right next to the sewer lift station, where it should feel right at home.

Common
12-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Absolutely, right next to the sewer lift station, where it should feel right at home.
Poor safety you sound upset, youre so angry all the time

Safety
12-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Poor common, for someone that grew up above the Mason-Dixon line, you sure have strong feelings regarding a confederate statue....

Common
12-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Poor common, for someone that has never lived below the Mason-Dixon line, you sure have strong feelings regarding a confederate statue....
Ive been living in florida for over 14 yrs any further south and youre in cuba, and Im not concerned with the confederate statue one bit safety. The reason behind moving them and the forced attempt to rewrite history is what im not warmed up to

Chris
12-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Ive been living in florida for over 14 yrs any further south and youre in cuba, and Im not concerned with the confederate statue one bit safety. The reason behind moving them and the forced attempt to rewrite history is what im not warmed up to

Exactly to the point of the thread. The trend was, in the face of SJWs cries of being triggered, statues were removed and hidden from the public eye. Now that time has passed, the trend I see is something of a reversal, a compromise, but the statues are being returned to the public eye, just in different locations, mainly historical museaums--for Silent Sam the university is building a museum, as I understand it.

zachroidott
12-11-2018, 03:27 PM
You sure told me.

:rollseyes:
I told you everything I wanted to. Don't be needy.

Safety
12-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Obviously you saw my correction....

Tahuyaman
12-11-2018, 04:05 PM

I can see why.