PDA

View Full Version : Republicans and Democrats alarmed over Mattis resignation

Captain Obvious
12-22-2018, 07:05 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46652862

The abrupt resignation of Defence Secretary Jim Mattis has alarmed an already tense Capitol Hill, causing lawmakers on both sides to speak out.
Democrats decried the latest Trump administration departure as a "crisis", but Republicans also voiced concern.
Senators Mitch McConnell and Marco Rubio called the move distressing and damaging to the US on the world stage.
Gen Mattis appeared to clash with Mr Trump over his decision to withdraw troops from Syria.
In his resignation letter, Gen Mattis, 68, said the president had the right to appoint someone "whose views are better aligned with yours".
The announcement of his departure came amid two major military decisions Gen Mattis had opposed: withdrawing troops from Syria and reducing US presence in Afghanistan.
US allies were not consulted or informed ahead of time about the president's decisions, US media reported.
The respected general will leave the job in February, though it remains unclear who President Donald Trump has in mind to replace him.
On Capitol Hill, Gen Mattis' resignation - and his reason for doing so - shocked lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

zachroidott
12-22-2018, 07:41 PM
What de Gaulle said.

Chris
12-22-2018, 07:52 PM
My brother, a liberal, from CA, said he was terribly alarmed. I said why, it's all over withdrawing troops from Syria, and now Afghanistan. Aren't liberals against that sort of intervention? Apparently not now.

Mister D
12-22-2018, 07:54 PM
My brother, a liberal, from CA, said he was terribly alarmed. I said why, it's all over withdrawing troops from Syria, and now Afghanistan. Aren't liberals against that sort of intervention? Apparently not now.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. This should prove interesting.

Tahuyaman
12-22-2018, 08:34 PM

All the hysteria is simply based on hate for Trump. There's no one in any administration who can not be replaced.

The same people who are alarmed now were alarmed when Trump appointed them to these positions. They were a reason to be concerned because they neo-con war mongers then. Now it's troubling that the president of the US is taking steps to disengage and those same Neo-con war mongers are at odds with him.

Captdon
12-23-2018, 10:47 AM
The President is the Commander-in-Chief.

I can't see how 2,000 US troops make any difference when there are Syrians, Russians, Iranians and Turks fighting there.

Afghanistan is a war that no outsider can win. Destroy the poppy fields with air power to show them what we can do and then come home.

Helena
12-23-2018, 10:59 AM
What did the poppy fields ever do to you?

MMC
12-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Of course the leftness is alarmed. Trump did it. The Neo Cons are very alarmed for real reasons. Ask Lindsey Graham.

Chris
12-23-2018, 11:38 AM
All the hysteria is simply based on hate for Trump. There's no one in any administration who can not be replaced.

The same people who are alarmed now were alarmed when Trump appointed them to these positions. They were a reason to be concerned because they neo-con war mongers then. Now it's troubling that the president of the US is taking steps to disengage and those same Neo-con war mongers are at odds with him.

I think that's a lot of it. Democrats were once all for building a border fence, Trump says build a wall, they're all against. Same here, many liberals were against fighting in ME, Trump starts withdrawal, they're all for it. Progressives have generally favored tariffs...

MMC
12-23-2018, 11:46 AM
I think that's a lot of it. Democrats were once all for building a border fence, Trump says build a wall, they're all against. Same here, many liberals were against fighting in ME, Trump starts withdrawal, they're all for it. Progressives have generally favored tariffs...

The TDS has reached epidemic proportions with the Leftness and Never Trumpers. The Pet therapy and coloring books isn't working anymore. Screaming at the sky doesn't empty their emotional fleshy bag of water.

Question is.....when they shit their pants or start committing suicide. Why should we care?

Chris
12-23-2018, 11:57 AM
I didn't know this: Did the Media Care When Obama Fired General Mattis? (https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/did_the_media_care_when_obama_fired_general_mattis .html#ixzz5aWjtrtre)

There was no such concern when Obama relieved Mattis as commander of CENTCOM without so much as a phone call, a factoid typical of Obama's disdain for the military, its missions, and its heroes.

[Thomas E.] Ricks says Mattis was fired because:

Pentagon insiders say that he rubbed civilian officials the wrong way – not because he went all "mad dog," which is his public image, and the view at the White House, but rather because he pushed the civilians so hard on considering the second- and third-order consequences of military action against Iran. Some of those questions apparently were uncomfortable. Like, what do you do with Iran once the nuclear issue is resolved and it remains a foe? What do you do if Iran then develops conventional capabilities that could make it hazardous for U.S. Navy ships to operate in the Persian Gulf? He kept saying, "And then what?"

There is also a belief that Mattis and Obama differed on Iran. "A particular point of disagreement was what to do about mischief Iran is exporting to other countries. Mattis is indeed more hawkish on this than the White House was," writes Ricks in yet another post.

Mattis is probably more hawkish than Trump as well. Mattis and Trump disagree on strategy. Obama and Mattis disagreed on goals and consequences. While a liberal uproar greeted the former, utter silence greeted the latter....

MMC
12-23-2018, 12:08 PM
I didn't know this: Did the Media Care When Obama Fired General Mattis? (https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/did_the_media_care_when_obama_fired_general_mattis .html#ixzz5aWjtrtre)

It wasn't just Mattis either.....BO the peep didn't listen to Gates, Panetta, Hagel, or Military people that gave him advice or facts.

Beevee
12-23-2018, 12:15 PM
It wasn't just Mattis either.....BO the peep didn't listen to Gates, Panetta, Hagel, or Military people that gave him advice or facts.

No change in presidential thinking then.

MMC
12-23-2018, 12:33 PM
No change in presidential thinking then.

Yes there was a change. Trump killed Russian Mercs inside Syria. BO the peep didn't.

Hoosier8
12-23-2018, 12:35 PM
The left wants regime change, what they pilloried Bush for.

MMC
12-23-2018, 12:41 PM
The left wants regime change, what they pilloried Bush for.

Neo Cons too.

Its funny we heard about the US, the Kurds, the Syrian Rebels all taking Daesh and Assad on. Ever hear anything about the French inside Syria other than whining about Bo the Peep and now Trump?

Tahuyaman
12-23-2018, 12:57 PM

The media did nor sensationalize those departures for partisan political reasons.

MMC
12-23-2018, 02:31 PM
The media did nor sensationalize those departures for partisan political reasons.

Of course not.....afterall the Lame Stream is the Demos Propaganda machine. Which something should be done about that.

Captdon
12-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Of course the leftness is alarmed. Trump did it. The Neo Cons are very alarmed for real reasons. Ask Lindsey Graham.

Ben Sasse told Graham that if thought the wars were so needed he should offer a Declaration of War.

pragmatic
12-23-2018, 02:54 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46652862

Have always liked/respected General Mattis. Same with General Kelly in the Chief of Staff role.

Think they both provided a (needed) stabilizing/neutralizing element to counter some of Donald Trump's more spontaneous and emotion driven responses to events. Sorry to see them go.

But the country is still pretty resilient/resourceful. Suspect we will survive okay in their absence....

MisterVeritis
12-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Have always liked/respected General Mattis. Same with General Kelly in the Chief of Staff role.

Think they both provided a (needed) stabilizing/neutralizing element to counter some of Donald Trump's more spontaneous and emotion driven responses to events. Sorry to see them go.

But the country is still pretty resilient/resourceful. Suspect we will survive okay in their absence...
The Chief of Staff does not run the Principal. The Chief of Staff runs the staff to support the principal.