PDA

View Full Version : Federal Workers Suing President Trump

HumblePi
12-31-2018, 11:07 PM
Federal workers suing Trump administration over government shutdownhttps://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/

(https://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/)WASHINGTON --
Federal workers are suing the Trump administration over the government shutdown.

One of the largest unions representing federal workers has hired a law firm out of Washington to protest the estimated 420,000 federal workers who are being required to work without pay.

Federal rules mean all annual leave such as vacation and sick time are canceled during a shutdown for employees deemed essential.

That included airline security officials and prison guards, who are typically given back pay if Congress approves it.

(https://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/)

Trish
12-31-2018, 11:11 PM
This should be interesting......

Captain Obvious
12-31-2018, 11:17 PM
meh... good luck with that.

It's a political statement for the most part.

Trish
12-31-2018, 11:19 PM
meh... good luck with that.

It's a political statement for the most part.

One that I think will backfire. This was a stupid move in my opinion.

Captain Obvious
12-31-2018, 11:21 PM
One that I think will backfire. This was a stupid move in my opinion.
Backfire? How? Just curious.

I'm more thinking that the story headline was the goal and now it's spent but who knows.

I can't imagine it goes anywhere.

Trish
12-31-2018, 11:28 PM
Backfire? How? Just curious.

I'm more thinking that the story headline was the goal and now it's spent but who knows.

I can't imagine it goes anywhere.

Maybe.

Cletus
12-31-2018, 11:58 PM

It won't go forward.

Adelaide
01-01-2019, 12:06 AM
It does not seem very legal to deny pay for work, and they cannot just stop showing up for a lot of reasons. A corporation would never get away with this, I don't think. Might be interesting in that respect.

Trish
01-01-2019, 12:07 AM
It won't go forward.

If it does it will backfire.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 03:50 AM
It does not seem very legal to deny pay for work, and they cannot just stop showing up for a lot of reasons. A corporation would never get away with this, I don't think. Might be interesting in that respect.

The pay issue is related to the Anti-Deficiency Act. Government agencies cannot obligate money not appropriated by Congress- outside of narrow exceptions.

This union does not have standing to sue the administration. Also, no judge can order the executive branch to violate the law- the Anti-deficiency Act in this instance.

The case will be dismissed on summary judgement.

Common
01-01-2019, 05:34 AM

They will get back paid every cent once Govt Opens

Common
01-01-2019, 05:35 AM
I thought the democrats had as much to do with shutting govt as the President. Shouldnt they have sued both, I guess not if this was just a political move by the unions.

Common Sense
01-01-2019, 05:40 AM
I thought the democrats had as much to do with shutting govt as the President. Shouldnt they have sued both, I guess not if this was just a political move by the unions.
Trump owns this shutdown...

""I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck, because the people of this country don't want criminals, and people that have lots of problems, and drugs pouring into our country," Trump said. "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it — the last time you shut it down, it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting it down. And I'm going to shut it down for border security."

stjames1_53
01-01-2019, 06:37 AM

""I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck, because the people of this country don't want criminals, and people that have lots of problems, and drugs pouring into our country," Trump said. "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it — the last time you shut it down, it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting it down. And I'm going to shut it down for border security."

doesn't affect you..................in any way shape or form

nathanbforrest45
01-01-2019, 07:49 AM
The federal workers will get back pay when this Democratic Party inspired fiasco is over. The workers will have suffered no out of pocket losses.

Besides, the title is misleading. Its not federal workers suing the President, its the unions suing the Administration..

MMC
01-01-2019, 08:02 AM
The pay issue is related to the Anti-Deficiency Act. Government agencies cannot obligate money not appropriated by Congress- outside of narrow exceptions.

This union does not have standing to sue the administration. Also, no judge can order the executive branch to violate the law- the Anti-deficiency Act in this instance.

The case will be dismissed on summary judgement.

As usual the leftness just wants to play a headgame with the court. Get it into the news that Trump is being sued again. This will be dismissed as Pete called it.

It wont change up the reality that the Demos will take the blame for the government shutdown.

Pelosi grandstanding says the House will have a bill to keep the government up and running. Repubs in the Senate says it goes nowhere unless they have 5 billion for border security. Leaving the shutdown still on the Demos.

Common
01-01-2019, 08:23 AM

No he does NOT own the shutdown, democrats refusing to enforce our immigration laws own the shutdown.
Doesnt matter the lawsuit is going nowhere

Trish
01-01-2019, 08:38 AM
No he does NOT own the shutdown, democrats refusing to enforce our immigration laws own the shutdown.

Trump absolutely owns the shutdown. You cannot erase the truth by ignoring it. This is an example of why there is so much division in the country. His supporters refuse to acknowledge facts. I would rather they just say "I don't care that he lied" rather than repeatedly pretending we all didn't hear what we all heard.

I agree this lawsuit isn't going anywhere and could turn into a PR nightmare.

Captain Obvious
01-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Trump owns the shut down

MisterVeritis
01-01-2019, 10:00 AM

Sounds good. Keep it shut down.

MisterVeritis
01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Trump absolutely owns the shutdown. You cannot erase the truth by ignoring it. This is an example of why there is so much division in the country. His supporters refuse to acknowledge facts. I would rather they just say "I don't care that he lied" rather than repeatedly pretending we all didn't hear what we all heard.

Watch how this changes over time. We need the wall. If President Trump holds fast we will win.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Trump said he owns it so the only way the government will reopen is if he gets the $5B for the wall. Anything less is a defeat.

Captdon
01-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Federal workers suing Trump administration over government shutdown

https://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/

(https://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/)WASHINGTON --
Federal workers are suing the Trump administration over the government shutdown.

One of the largest unions representing federal workers has hired a law firm out of Washington to protest the estimated 420,000 federal workers who are being required to work without pay.

Federal rules mean all annual leave such as vacation and sick time are canceled during a shutdown for employees deemed essential.

That included airline security officials and prison guards, who are typically given back pay if Congress approves it.

(https://abc7ny.com/politics/federal-workers-sue-trump-administration-over-government-shutdown/4997130/)

So what? It's the law and they knew it when hired. They can quit and find other jobs.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 11:06 AM
They will get back paid every cent once Govt Opens
Only if that language is in legislation. It has been in the past, but there is no guarantee that it will in the future.

Captdon
01-01-2019, 11:07 AM

It's the law. A judge will dismiss this. The government sets the rules. They have no legal complaint.

Captdon
01-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Trump refused to sign a bill he doesn't like. It's not much different than a veto. It's up to Congress to pass spending bills. It is always the fault of Congress. Trump can say whatever he wants; free speech and all of that. The fact is he has to shutdown if the money isn't there. It's a democratic shutdown.

Captain Obvious
01-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Trump refused to sign a bill he doesn't like. It's not much different than a veto. It's up to Congress to pass spending bills. It is always the fault of Congress. Trump can say whatever he wants; free speech and all of that. The fact is he has to shutdown if the money isn't there. It's a democratic shutdown.

Nope, Trump owns this 100%

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 11:14 AM
All spending bills must start in the House. (Why was this not an issue with Obamacare?)

The Senate either approves the bill, or offers changes, or just never takes it to the floor.

Then the President signs or not signs.

If President does not sign Congress can pass it anyway.

countryboy
01-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Why does Trump own the shut down? Why are dems suddenly against border security? 5 billion is nothing. Trump may have assumed the mantle of the shut down, but open border dems are culpable. That, is a truth which cannot be erased.

The Xl
01-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Not a fan of federal workers, but I question the legality of requiring work with no pay

MisterVeritis
01-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Nope, Trump owns this 100%
It does not matter. If President Trump gets his 5 billion for our wall he will be a hero. If not he will be George "Read my lips" Bush.

MMC
01-01-2019, 11:57 AM
All spending bills must start in the House. (Why was this not an issue with Obamacare?)

The Senate either approves the bill, or offers changes, or just never takes it to the floor.

Then the President signs or not signs.

If President does not sign Congress can pass it anyway.

Yep the House sent a bill with the Funding. The Demos in the Senate had to filibuster it to prevent it from going to the floor. Must have been worried some Demos would crossover.

They own the shutdown.

It wont matter if Pelosi and the Demos come up with a bill without the funding to keep the government open. Once they have control of the House. Graham put the reality out there. When he pointed out the Demos have given more for Border security than what they offered Trump.

The Demos can't escape their past history with the issue.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Not a fan of federal workers, but I question the legality of requiring work with no pay

They cannot work without pay. It is illegal for the federal government to accept services for free. See the Anti-Deficiency Act. The problem comes when Congress refuses to do its primary function- pass a budget. Now the federal government makes up a small group of federal workers and claim that they are exempt from the normal rules regarding allocated funds.

So with a legal fiction most Americans don't realize that much of the government is shut down because the government claims it is not violating its laws regarding spending and appropriations.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Yep the House sent a bill with the Funding. The Demos in the Senate had to filibuster it to prevent it from going to the floor. Must have been worried some Demos would crossover.

They own the shutdown.

It wont matter if Pelosi and the Demos come up with a bill without the funding to keep the government open. Once they have control of the House. Graham put the reality out there. When he pointed out the Demos have given more for Border security than what they offered Trump.

The Demos can't escape their past history with the issue.
Trump owns the shutdown because he said so.

But yes, the Dems feed it with not providing $5B for a part of the wall.

I say keep it shut down for generations.

nathanbforrest45
01-01-2019, 12:49 PM

So, the only way for the Republicans to have avoided the shutdown was to cave in to the Democrats and allow them to keep our borders open and the incessant barbarians at the gate to keep streaming across the border?????

The fact that the Democrats won't even discuss border security has nothing to do with this?????????

Absolutely afuckingmazing.

Peter1469
01-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Protect the border or keep the government shutdown. Don't bend to the whims of cultural globalists.

Kalkin
01-01-2019, 01:42 PM
No one "owns" the shutdown. It happened because trump and the democrats can't come to an agreement regarding wall funding.

Tahuyaman
01-01-2019, 02:04 PM

I doubt it. This will go nowhere.

MisterVeritis
01-01-2019, 02:11 PM

It is a shame we cannot widen the shutdown. We have roughly 450 executive branch so-called independent agencies still harassing us. Let's add them to the shutdown. We should start giving pink slips to most of the people who work in the anti-American State Department.

MMC
01-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Trump owned it until the House came up with the funding. The Demos Pelosi and Schumer stated Trump couldn't get the funding in the House. They have been proven as liars now.

Again it was the Demos in the Senate that killed the bill. Bill passed the House. Took Trump off the Hook.

Captdon
01-01-2019, 02:40 PM

His saying so doesn't matter. He said he wouldn't sign a bill with no money for the wall. The bill that had money for the wall was not voted on because the Democrats refused to allow a vote. it's up to the Democrats, not Trump.

Captdon
01-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Trump is strong on the wall. He needs to be that way on the whole spending by the federal government. Don't sign any bill absent a way to pay for it or a way to pay off the debt involved. Shut the whole government down except for Defense.