PDA

View Full Version : The 'Green New Deal': A Radical Mandate for Government Control of American Society

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 12:03 PM
The 'Green New Deal': A Radical Mandate for Government Control of American Society (https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-radical-mandate-government-con)

I am interested into seeing how this goes over with Americans in general. Do we really want this much government control over us?

ncoming New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez brings with her a massive online following, influence she says she’ll deploy only in support of candidates and politicians who support her plan for a “Green New Deal.”

“The Green New Deal” is something Ocasio-Cortez invokes frequently in media appearances and rallies.

So what’s actually in it?

Her office recently released the text (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jxUzp9SZ6-VB-4wSm8sselVMsqWZrSrYpYC9slHKLzo/mobilebasic) of a proposed House rules change outlining the plan.

The proposed rule change for the upcoming 116th Congress would require the creation of a “Select Committee for a Green Deal” that would be responsible for creating the plan by January 1, 2020, with corresponding draft legislation soon after. The text of the rule change lays out the committee’s jurisdiction and required areas of action.

Its scope and mandate for legislative authority amounts to a radical grant of power to Washington over Americans’ lives, homes, businesses, travel, banking, and more.

Early on, under “Jurisdiction,” the document makes clear its grandiose philosophical vision: “The select committee shall have authority to develop a detailed national, industrial, economic mobilization plan for the transition of the United States economy to become greenhouse gas emissions neutral and to significantly draw down greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and oceans and to promote economic and environmental justice and equality.”

In addition to achieving its goal of “meeting 100% of national power demand through renewable sources,” the document also repeatedly states the Green New Deal will advance non-environmental projects, such as, “social, economic, racial, regional and gender-based justice.”

Ocasio-Cortez’s plan further claims it will (virtually) eliminate poverty: “The Plan for a Green New Deal (and the draft legislation) shall recognize that a national, industrial, economic mobilization of this scope and scale is a historic opportunity to virtually eliminate poverty in the United States and to make prosperity, wealth and economic security available to everyone participating in the transformation.”

More specifically, Ocasio-Cortez’s plan calls for, within 10 years, a series of lofty overhauls of American life [emphasis added]:

Read more specifics at the link.

Tahuyaman
01-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Government through the meme culture.

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Government through the meme culture.

I don't think it could pass and it could not be implemented if it did pass.

Tahuyaman
01-03-2019, 12:51 PM
I don't think it could pass and it could not be implemented if it did pass.

I agree.

Kalkin
01-03-2019, 12:51 PM
The democrats in the HOR will ensure a trump victory in 2020.

jimmyz
01-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Too much big oil, coal, rail, and power delivery money will defeat her plan.

Tahuyaman
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
The democrats in the HOR will ensure a trump victory in 2020.

That's a strong possibility, but Trump could screw that up if he's not careful.

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 01:07 PM

The big power / energy companies will need to be part of these proposed plans.

Tahuyaman
01-03-2019, 01:12 PM
The big power / energy companies will need to be part of these proposed plans.

Of course they would need to be part of this. They wouldn't oppose it. They would benefit from it.

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Of course they would need to be part of this. They wouldn't oppose it. They would benefit from it.

Correct, it would represent a lot of profits and jobs.

Tahuyaman
01-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Correct, it would represent a lot of profits and jobs.

Unimaginable profits. It would be a project which would basically never end.

Captain Obvious
01-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Fuck no.

Fuck no so much that this approaches fascism and cause for armed revolt imo

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Fuck no.

Fuck no so much that this approaches fascism and cause for armed revolt imo
I don't think they could implement it.

Chris
01-03-2019, 01:45 PM

You might also see American yellow vests marching.

(those triggered by video don't click)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycEa1l01_A0

countryboy
01-03-2019, 02:37 PM
The 'Green New Deal': A Radical Mandate for Government Control of American Society (https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-radical-mandate-government-con)

I am interested into seeing how this goes over with Americans in general. Do we really want this much government control over us?

They should call it, The Raw Deal. Eventually there will be a soft secession, where states will ignore federal mandates, then, if radical leftist loons want to push hard enough, there'll be war. Sad that it's coming to this.

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 02:43 PM
They should call it, The Raw Deal. Eventually there will be a soft secession, where states will ignore federal mandates, then, if radical leftist loons want to push hard enough, there'll be war. Sad that it's coming to this.
I think it more likely that the Senate doesn't take it to the floor and lets it die.

countryboy
01-03-2019, 05:34 PM
I think it more likely that the Senate doesn't take it to the floor and lets it die.

I'm not talking about just this proposal, but overreach by radical leftists in general.

Peter1469
01-03-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm not talking about just this proposal, but overreach by radical leftists in general.

It will certainly highlight major policy differences between the two major parties.

DGUtley
01-03-2019, 07:06 PM
You guys need to start trusting the government more. It is there for YOU. It loves you. It knows what is best for you and how to "interpret" that pesky constitution thingy. You don't know squat. #FlaggedforAudit

Peter1469
01-04-2019, 10:25 AM
AOC thinks she can tax the super wealthy at 70% to pay for her Green Raw Deal (https://www.mediaite.com/tv/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-calls-for-super-wealthy-to-be-taxed-70-to-fund-green-new-deal/).

You can tax the wealthy in the US at 100% and run our current budget for about 8 months. What next?

Those who think the word tax is divorced from the economy need to be not part of the franchise.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sat with Anderson Cooper for an upcoming 60 Minutes interview set to air this Sunday, a portion of which has been released as a promotion. In the released segment, Ocasio-Cortez reveals how exactly she suggests paying for the environmental agenda known as the “Green New Deal” — with remarkably higher tax rates for the super wealthy.

Ocasio-Cortez suggests in the clip that in her esteem, people should be doing more to pay their “fair share.” When Cooper pressed on how she could possibly pay for the deal, she pointed to the progressive tax rate system in the 1960s, explaining that if you earn 0 to $75,000 a year, you would only pay 10% or 15% in income tax.

She continued:

“But once you get to the tippie tops, on your $10 millionth, sometimes you see tax rates as high as 60% or 70%. That doesn’t mean all $10 million are taxed at an extremely high rate. But it means that as you climb up this ladder, you should be contributing more.”

Cooper replied that she was proposing a “radical agenda.”

“If that’s what radical means, call me a radical,” she said.

Anderson Cooper was born a billionaire, so one would expect he would against these taxes. He probably thinks of taking from the lower classes first.

donttread
01-05-2019, 12:20 PM

I believe in localism and sustainable living. However, it is not the job of the feds to control us like this. The states have far more leeway. My concerns are more about the war and tensions that fossil fuels cause and the energy umbilical cords that are so fragile than about climate change. I honestly feel the planet has adjusted during the past 15 years or so, or we were just looking at short term weather cycles