PDA

View Full Version : HR 51- DC Statehood Bill

Peter1469
01-05-2019, 06:55 PM
HR 51- DC Statehood Bill (http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/hr-51-dc-statehood-bill-legislation-introduced-to-make-dc-the-51st-state)

This comes up every now and then. DC use to stretch into Virginia and that land was given back to VA. The same should happen with the non-governmental parts of DC that border on Maryland.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton has introduced a bill to make the District the 51st state.H.R. 51, the D.C. Statehood Bill (https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/51?s=6&r=189), was introduced by Holmes Norton on Thursday, the day that the 116th Congress was gaveled into session.

“I have a commitment that there will be a hearing on H.R. 51 from our good Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Elijah Cummings that this bill will get a prompt hearing and then, of course, go to the floor,” Holmes Norton said in a video posted to her official Twitter page.

This bill is just a power-play by the democrats.

nathanbforrest45
01-05-2019, 08:18 PM
This would be the worse move the Democrats have ever proposed. What a bunch of looney tunes and what a bunch of looney toons that would even consider this and support it.

The country would be better served if DC were returned to Maryland and Virginia and only a small enclave around the Capitol and White House remained as The District of Columbia, much like the Vatican. The area designated as DC would then be off limits to civilian housing. Then no claim could be made to lack of representation for near do wells and welfare grabbers who live in the cesspool of Washington DC.

Captdon
01-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Since it was set aside for the Capitol, I wonder if they can become a state.

Peter1469
01-05-2019, 09:03 PM
This would be the worse move the Democrats have ever proposed. What a bunch of looney tunes and what a bunch of looney toons that would even consider this and support it.

The country would be better served if DC were returned to Maryland and Virginia and only a small enclave around the Capitol and White House remained as The District of Columbia, much like the Vatican. The area designated as DC would then be off limits to civilian housing. Then no claim could be made to lack of representation for near do wells and welfare grabbers who live in the cesspool of Washington DC.
VA got its part back a long time ago.

MisterVeritis
01-05-2019, 09:07 PM

The country would be better served if the capital was moved to El Paso.

Peter1469
01-05-2019, 09:12 PM

The proposal is for the non-government part of the District to become a state. If anything it should go back to Maryland.

Lummy
01-05-2019, 09:27 PM
The proposal is for the non-government part of the District to become a state. If anything it should go back to Maryland.

An area about the size of a basketball court. You bet give it to the landfill.

Lummy
01-05-2019, 09:30 PM
"History of The Leprechaun Annexation: Like sex with a whore, it felt good. Then it didn't."

Lummy
01-05-2019, 09:32 PM
They could pass a law restricting residency to only people under 4' tall.

And shoot hoops.

Lummy
01-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Lawyers throughout the Eastern Seaboard went to arms!

Lummy
01-05-2019, 09:39 PM
So they constructed the Democraty Underground Railroad because it sounded as historical as their legislation.

It was for smuggling child slaves.

Green Arrow
01-06-2019, 01:21 AM
Some people just like hearing themselves talk.

Puerto Rico should be the 51st state. Not sure DC really has much of a claim to statehood.

Cletus
01-06-2019, 03:07 AM

The Constitution specifies it is to be a federal enclave under the jurisdiction of the Congress. It would take a constitutional amendment to make it a state.

Members of Congress should at least have a working knowledge of the Constitution. This is the second bill I have seen in as many days that would clearly violate the Constitution if enacted.

Hoosier8
01-06-2019, 08:43 AM
The Constitution specifies it is to be a federal enclave under the jurisdiction of the Congress. It would take a constitutional amendment to make it a state.

Members of Congress should at least have a working knowledge of the Constitution. This is the second bill I have seen in as many days that would clearly violate the Constitution if enacted.

Well...democrats...nuff said.

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Puerto Rico should be the 51st state. Not sure DC really has much of a claim to statehood.
PR is currently going through bankruptcy. They need to deal with their debt before we consider them for statehood.

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 10:07 AM

We have carved off residential parts of DC to return them to Virginia. We can do the same to return residential parts of DC to Maryland. The government core can remain DC.

The big issue is the push to make the residential portion of DC that borders Maryland a separate state. The Dems want that for one reason only. 2 more senators and 1 other House member.

MMC
01-06-2019, 10:11 AM

No need to bring up Hillary into this.

donttread
01-06-2019, 11:10 AM
HR 51- DC Statehood Bill (http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/hr-51-dc-statehood-bill-legislation-introduced-to-make-dc-the-51st-state)

This comes up every now and then. DC use to stretch into Virginia and that land was given back to VA. The same should happen with the non-governmental parts of DC that border on Maryland.

This bill is just a power-play by the democrats.

It would be funny though. If DC was a state they'd be infringing on their own rights.

Captdon
01-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Puerto Rico has voted to stay a Commonwealth every time.

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 11:29 AM
It would be funny though. If DC was a state they'd be infringing on their own rights.

How?

And to be clear, the plan for DC statehood still leaves the federal government main part of DC as DC.

That is the core group of buildings, if looking along the Mall from the Potomac to beyond Congress to SCOTUS from south to north. And then out to the Judiciary Square, the White House and Federal Triangle areas to the west, and to 3rd Street on the east.

nathanbforrest45
01-06-2019, 02:15 PM

Making Puerto Rico a state is just as looney an idea as making DC a state. I say cut them loose completely and let them sink on their own without the US supporting them a minute longer.

Making a foreign country a "state" is stupid.

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Making Puerto Rico a state is just as looney an idea as making DC a state. I say cut them loose completely and let them sink on their own without the US supporting them a minute longer.

It is a US territory. Just as every other US state after the original 13 colonies were prior to becoming states.

nathanbforrest45
01-06-2019, 02:18 PM
For the record some Maryland residents have been clamoring for a new state for decades. The State of Delmarva, made up of the eastern shore of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. They are a very conservative portion of those three states and I would support a Delmarva.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243932.0

Green Arrow
01-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Puerto Rico is not a foreign country, it’s a part of the US. Read first, speak second.

Jeb!
01-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Ah $%&# it, let's create a South Virginia. Why only have a West Virginia?

MMC
01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Puerto Rico is not a foreign country, it’s a part of the US. Read first, speak second.

Puerto Rico themselves has turned down statehood.....how many times? Are you saying force them to accept it?

Helena
01-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Ah $%&# it, let's create a South Virginia. Why only have a West Virginia?

We have enough South in this country.

Captain Obvious
01-06-2019, 04:38 PM
We have enough South in this country.
You do realize that even if they carved out a North Virginia it still would be considered the south?

Helena
01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
You do realize that even if they carved out a North Virginia it still would be considered the south?
No. No one realizes anything until Captain Obvious points it out.

Thank you for your service.

Captain Obvious
01-06-2019, 04:42 PM
No. No one realizes anything until Captain Obvious points it out.

Thank you for your service.

I live to serve

Helena
01-06-2019, 04:43 PM
I live to serve
You get a gold star.

Green Arrow
01-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Puerto Rico themselves has turned down statehood.....how many times? Are you saying force them to accept it?

No, I’m saying PR makes more sense as a state than DC. That was clearly stated.

MisterVeritis
01-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Gasp!

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

:grin:

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Once they realized they had a debt problem they started to change their mind on it.

Peter1469
01-06-2019, 08:00 PM

I have always seen Richmond as the start of the modern south.

nathanbforrest45
01-06-2019, 10:03 PM
Its a part of the United States because we took it from another country. Its a foreign country for all intents and purposes. And quit your fucking snarking, its annoying as hell.

Green Arrow
01-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Its a part of the United States because we took it from another country. Its a foreign country for all intents and purposes.

No, it's not. It's a part of the U.S., for all intents and purposes. It's not possible to be part of this country and somehow be a foreign country at the same time. You were wrong, own it. Stop flailing for excuses.

And quit your fucking snarking, its annoying as hell.

You're the king of snark. Get your own house in order and then I'll consider it. Until then, bite me.

Dr. Who
01-07-2019, 12:08 AM
For the record some Maryland residents have been clamoring for a new state for decades. The State of Delmarva, made up of the eastern shore of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. They are a very conservative portion of those three states and I would support a Delmarva.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=243932.0

That's a really goofy sounding name for a State. It sounds like someone's hunchbacked great-great maiden aunt. Might I suggest Mydevilland, Warmvirginland, Vermindia or Demandia? LOL. How about The DMV?

Peter1469
01-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Its a part of the United States because we took it from another country. Its a foreign country for all intents and purposes. And quit your fucking snarking, its annoying as hell.

It was given to the US by Spain as part of the peace treaty (Treaty of Paris, 1898) ending the Spanish American War. I imagine if you owned land there and did a title search it would go back to: "Title by right of Conquest- 1898).