PDA

View Full Version : A National Emergency Declaration

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 12:12 PM
When do you think President Trump will declare a national emergency and build the wall?

It looks as if a declaration will make up to 23 billion dollars available to build the wall.

Will it happen in January? February? Or March?

Which idiot Republicans will fold? Collins? Murkowski? Romney?

Peter1469
01-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Congress can override a presidential declaration of a national emergency by a majority vote in both chambers of congress.

People will also challenge it in court. Although because their is a legislative fix, courts my toss that hot-potato.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Congress can override a presidential declaration of a national emergency by a majority vote in both chambers of congress.

People will also challenge it in court. Although because their is a legislative fix, courts my toss that hot-potato.
While true it does not answer my reasonable questions. :grin:

Peter1469
01-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Probably this month. Within a week.

The typical GOP fems will fold.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 01:20 PM

I think President Trump will declare a national emergency before the end of January. I expect the usual suspects, Collins and Murkowski, to fold. I expect Romney to follow the girls.

MMC
01-10-2019, 02:25 PM
With the Lame Stream highlighting their woeful government employees, I figure Trump will declare the Emergency end of January beginning of Feb.

The Demos activists will immediately take it into court. Get a Judge to issue a temp restraining order. The Demos in the House will vote against it. Same in the Senate.

Yep Collins and Murkowski will side with the Demos and then Romney will cave.

ManyWants
01-10-2019, 05:22 PM
I think he’ll hope to end the shutdown and get the national emergency declaration in place before the SOTU address. Assuming no deal is reached (and it looks unlikely).

alexa
01-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Mr President, what's the nature of the emergency?

The Democrats won't give me what I want.

:rofl:

Good luck with that.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Mr President, what's the nature of the emergency?

The Democrats won't give me what I want.

Good luck with that.
First, thanks.

Second, Progressivism is the underlying problem. Progressives simply do not like the United States and seek to harm it and the nation's citizens. Keeping the border open and illegals flowing in is the emergency.

Admiral Ackbar
01-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Yes.. if only the GOP would say if the Pres Declares this we will vote to support it. The Gov shutdown would end and the wall would be built. I am not so sure what is hard about that to understand.

alexa
01-10-2019, 05:37 PM
First, thanks.

Second, Progressivism is the underlying problem. Progressives simply do not like the United States and seek to harm it and the nation's citizens. Keeping the border open and illegals flowing in is the emergency.
That's not what your Dear Leader said.

He said it becomes a national emergency when the Democrats won't give him what he wants.

As I said, good luck with that.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 05:39 PM

He said it becomes a national emergency when the Democrats won't give him what he wants.

I was foolish to believe you were anything other than a shallow thinker. I must accept you are.

Peter1469
01-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Yes.. if only the GOP would say if the Pres Declares this we will vote to support it. The Gov shutdown would end and the wall would be built. I am not so sure what is hard about that to understand.

A national emergency declaration likely could not open the government.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I wonder what else the President could accomplish with his national emergency declaration. Could he sweep through the southern states to round up and deport the 20-30 million or so illegals already here? Now that would be a great thing! Begin in California. Start in LA. That ought to bag 2 million illegals.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Could the President imprison members of the Democratic Party, the media, and the judiciary for the duration of the emergency?

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 06:07 PM
A national emergency declaration likely could not open the government.
I agree. The Congress must allocate funds.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 06:20 PM
I am so glad we have an American male President again.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
We need Operation Wetback II.

donttread
01-10-2019, 07:18 PM
When do you think President Trump will declare a national emergency and build the wall?

It looks as if a declaration will make up to 23 billion dollars available to build the wall.

Will it happen in January? February? Or March?

Which idiot Republicans will fold? Collins? Murkowski? Romney?

BTW, what's the tunnel plan?

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 07:21 PM
BTW, what's the tunnel plan?
What do you mean?

Are you asking how we can counter tunneling?

countryboy
01-10-2019, 09:16 PM

It's funny when libs use terms associated with leftists in a lame attempt to smear conservatives.

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 09:41 PM
When President Trump declares his national emergency do you believe he can stop non-citizens from using our banking facilities to transfer money out of the US? About 25 billion dollars a year are sent out of the country.

Dr. Who
01-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Could the President imprison members of the Democratic Party, the media, and the judiciary for the duration of the emergency?
While he's at it, perhaps he can declare himself President for life, dispense with elections and ensure that succession is by right of blood only.

alexa
01-10-2019, 10:26 PM
It's funny when libs use terms associated with leftists in a lame attempt to smear conservatives.

It's funnier when cons think they own words.

Peter1469
01-10-2019, 10:31 PM
While he's at it, perhaps he can declare himself President for life, dispense with elections and ensure that succession is by right of blood only.
None of the authorities that implement the National Emergency Act have that as an option.

Dr. Who
01-10-2019, 10:34 PM
None of the authorities that implement the National Emergency Act have that as an option.
Neither do they allow incarceration of the opposing members of Congress, the media and the judiciary. Just sayin'

Peter1469
01-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Neither do they allow incarceration of the opposing members of Congress, the media and the judiciary. Just sayin'

That too. :smiley:

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Perhaps only for the duration of the emergency. :wink:

MisterVeritis
01-10-2019, 10:43 PM
I will put you in the "maybe" column. :grin:

countryboy
01-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Hyperbole much? http://www.animated-smileys.com/emoticons/animated-smileys-rolleyes-08.gif

countryboy
01-10-2019, 10:47 PM
It's funnier when cons think they own words.
I realize accuracy is not an issue for libs, carry on.

Dr. Who
01-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Perhaps only for the duration of the emergency. :wink:
Uh...no and what emergency? An emergency would be armed insurgents gathering at the border. Undocumented migrants are just a problem.

Dr. Who
01-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Hyperbole much? http://www.animated-smileys.com/emoticons/animated-smileys-rolleyes-08.gif
It was sarcasm, not hyperbole.

Tahuyaman
01-11-2019, 12:49 AM
Would everyone please stop feeding the effing troll...

Peter1469
01-11-2019, 06:09 AM
Uh...no and what emergency? An emergency would be armed insurgents gathering at the border. Undocumented migrants are just a problem.

Emergency is very broad. Presidents have used this Act scores of times, to include with border issues.

countryboy
01-11-2019, 07:25 AM

If you say so.

countryboy
01-11-2019, 07:26 AM

There's no such thing as "undocumented migrants".

The President wouldn't have to use emergency powers if leftist loons would get serious about border security. You know, like they were a decade ago?

Peter1469
01-11-2019, 07:29 AM

What is the statutory definition in the National Emergency Act of 'national emergency'?

Hint, there is not one.

MMC
01-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Border Patrol showed Trump all the weapons and drugs they confiscate in just one area of Texas.

Here's a List of Democrats Who Acknowledged There's a Crisis at the Border.....

There's a crisis at the border and Democrats are admitting it. Or at least they have in the past.

President Obama:
DNC Chairman Tom Perez on the "public safety" imperative:
Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senator Dick Durbin (who complained about the 2006 Fence Act not being enough coverage for the 2000 mile border), Senator Dianne Feinstein, former Vice President Joe Biden:
Vice presidential candidate and Democratic Senator Tim Kaine: …..snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/01/10/heres-a-list-of-democrats-who-say-theres-a-crisis-at-the-border-n2538848

MMC
01-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Graham To Trump: Declare A National Emergency For The Border Wall.....

Well, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has had enough with Democrats unwilling to compromise on border security. After days of haggling, he’s finally come around to the idea that the president should declare a national emergency for the border wall. Yesterday, Trump had a meeting with Speaker Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), where he proposed re-opening the government in exchange for parts of his wall being built. The Democrats refused. They’re running the show in the House and letting the White House know. They’re not playing ball. And why should they? From their standpoint, they gained 40-seats in the 2018 elections on the promise that they would be a check on the Trump White House. Also, this is a party that simply doesn’t care about illegal immigration. They also appear to not care about illegal aliens murdering Americans.

Graham 2.0 has his moments, and this is one of them. Trump has said that if there were no deal on border security, he would most likely declare a national emergency in order to get it done. It would be no different than what Obama did on immigration, Obamacare, and his air campaign in Libya. Oh, and law scholar Jonathan Turley said that Trump absolutely has the power to declare a national emergency (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/01/10/law-professor-trump-has-the-power-to-declare-a-national-emergency-for-a-border-w-n2538802) for the border wall. There are legal issues concerning where and how the funds are used, but it’s not “facially unconstitutional,” as some have argued.

Built that wall......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/01/10/graham-to-trump-declare-a-national-emergency-for-the-border-wall-n2538873

So far McConnell and Graham are holding Repubs together.

MisterVeritis
01-11-2019, 09:55 AM
We have at least 20 million alien invaders in our country. We have thousands more coming every day. It is a national emergency. Stop them at the border. Round up the ones who are here. The emergency does not end until the aliens are gone.

MisterVeritis
01-11-2019, 09:56 AM
It was good, too.

Captdon
01-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Illegal aliens.

Tahuyaman
01-11-2019, 01:33 PM

I doubt that he will declare an emergency on the border. However, if he does, it will be in two weeks.

There will be no wall on the southern border. There will be a very limited and mostly ineffective amount of new fencing constructed. The border is going to remain porous.

Republicans from the more liberal coastal states will vote against Trump. Romney represents a fairly conservative state. I don't know what he'll do. I do know that he does want to be reelected.

Tahuyaman
01-11-2019, 01:35 PM

You don't need an armed invasion to declare an emergency.

Dr. Who
01-11-2019, 05:20 PM
What is the statutory definition in the National Emergency Act of 'national emergency'?

Hint, there is not one.
Great. Nothing like user-defined emergencies.

Dr. Who
01-11-2019, 05:33 PM
We have at least 20 million alien invaders in our country. We have thousands more coming every day. It is a national emergency. Stop them at the border. Round up the ones who are here. The emergency does not end until the aliens are gone.
More than half of those 'aliens' have been in America for 20 years or more and have been paying taxes.

Peter1469
01-11-2019, 05:42 PM
More than half of those 'aliens' have been in America for 20 years or more and have been paying taxes.

If they are here illegally, toss 'em.

MMC
01-11-2019, 05:44 PM

While true.....it is the ones that keep showing up at the border. Not only caravans from Honduras either.

Dr. Who
01-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Border Patrol showed Trump all the weapons and drugs they confiscate in just one area of Texas.

Here's a List of Democrats Who Acknowledged There's a Crisis at the Border.....

There's a crisis at the border and Democrats are admitting it. Or at least they have in the past.

President Obama:
DNC Chairman Tom Perez on the "public safety" imperative:
Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senator Dick Durbin (who complained about the 2006 Fence Act not being enough coverage for the 2000 mile border), Senator Dianne Feinstein, former Vice President Joe Biden:
Vice presidential candidate and Democratic Senator Tim Kaine: …..snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/01/10/heres-a-list-of-democrats-who-say-theres-a-crisis-at-the-border-n2538848
You mistaken me for someone who supports any of the congress critters or either party. The behavior of the Republicans during the last administration predictably ensured that the Democrats would be equally obstructive during this administration. Neither party has a shred of integrity and voters have extremely low standards regarding their elected representatives. Politics is less about representation and governance than a competitive sport/spectacle for the masses and a matter of pandering to corporate interests behind the scenes. The electoral colleges are an elitist check on true representation and ensure that the will of the people can be sublimated to the will of the few. Gerrymandering should be unlawful as well as corporate lobbying, otherwise known as vote buying and nothing is going to change until people as a whole demand change.

Dr. Who
01-11-2019, 07:32 PM
While true.....it is the ones that keep showing up at the border. Not only caravans from Honduras either.
Given the rather large historical 'illegal' population in America, many having both children and grandchildren born in America and the virtual impossibility of removing most of them, the logical solution is amnesty for those who have been gainfully employed taxpayers for at least ten years without any criminal record and an automatic citizenship hearing. For those in America less than 10 years, but more than five years without any criminal convictions who have been steadily employed and paying taxes, a path to citizenship. Under five years - deportation. This should be a one time offer and anyone who doesn't take it up or have records of unemployment beyond just a few months between jobs or a criminal record can and should be deported. Perhaps then, if both parties can reach a reasonable and equitable solution to the latent immigration problem, then voters should expect a bipartisan solution to the border issue - whether it be a wall, a fence or a high tech solution. If there is no spirit of compromise by either party, they should lose their protected status and people should be encouraged to find better representation.

As to those currently banging at America's door on the southern border, if a 'National Emergency' can be declared at the discretion of the President, then as a national emergency, aggressive attempts to enter the country can be deemed a military matter and armed forces can be deployed and authorised to capture and remove unlawful entrants with transportation available to send them back to wherever they came from. There should soon be more military personnel available for the task.

At the same time, legislation regarding those who employ unlawful migrants needs to be created that is necessarily harsh, making the risk of getting caught employing the undocumented (i.e. those who have no permission to work or live in America) not worth the financial reward.

Ransom
01-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Given the rather large historical 'illegal' population in America, many having both children and grandchildren born in America and the virtual impossibility of removing most of them, the logical solution is amnesty for those who have been gainfully employed taxpayers for at least ten years without any criminal record and an automatic citizenship hearing. For those in America less than 10 years, but more than five years without any criminal convictions who have been steadily employed and paying taxes, a path to citizenship. Under five years - deportation. This should be a one time offer and anyone who doesn't take it up or have records of unemployment beyond just a few months between jobs or a criminal record can and should be deported. Perhaps then, if both parties can reach a reasonable and equitable solution to the latent immigration problem, then voters should expect a bipartisan solution to the border issue - whether it be a wall, a fence or a high tech solution. If there is no spirit of compromise by either party, they should lose their protected status and people should be encouraged to find better representation.

As to those currently banging at America's door on the southern border, if a 'National Emergency' can be declared at the discretion of the President, then as a national emergency, aggressive attempts to enter the country can be deemed a military matter and armed forces can be deployed and authorised to capture and remove unlawful entrants with transportation available to send them back to wherever they came from. There should soon be more military personnel available for the task.

At the same time, legislation regarding those who employ unlawful migrants needs to be created that is necessarily harsh, making the risk of getting caught employing the undocumented (i.e. those who have no permission to work or live in America) not worth the financial reward.

Indeed, Logical solutions have come for decades and yet none are implemented. But, while those logical solutions have merit...and where they'd require years of legislation and even legal challenges....let's severely reduce the flood of migrants illegally crossing the border FIRST. Because a wall is a logical solution, it does prevent crossings for relatively little money.

Captdon
01-12-2019, 10:05 AM
I doubt that he will declare an emergency on the border. However, if he does, it will be in two weeks.

There will be no wall on the southern border. There will be a very limited and mostly ineffective amount of new fencing constructed. The border is going to remain porous.

Republicans from the more liberal coastal states will vote against Trump. Romney represents a fairly conservative state. I don't know what he'll do. I do know that he does want to be reelected.

You're becoming a Cassandra.

Tahuyaman
01-12-2019, 12:43 PM
You're becoming a Cassandra.

Is Cassandra a realist?

MisterVeritis
01-12-2019, 12:45 PM
It does not matter. Boot them.

Captdon
01-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Is Cassandra a realist?

No, and neither are you. You always say the Republicans will cave on this or that and they haven't.

Tahuyaman
01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
No, and neither are you. You always say the Republicans will cave on this or that and they haven't.
I said that Trump is not likely to declare an emergency on the border. He isn't.

I said that there will be no wall, only a token amount of steel fence will be constructed. A small enough amount to be considered ineffective.

Liberal Republicans from the coastal states will not support Trump on his wall project.

Tahuyaman
01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
You always say the Republicans will cave on this or that and they haven't.

They haven't yet. There's still time. They generally do.

MMC
01-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Trump offered Amnesty for the Dreamers. It was the Democrats, specifically the black caucus that refused. Due to not wanting to get rid of Chain migration and the Diversity visa lottery.

There are many illegals that are stealing identities of Americans. One of those crimes that the Lame Stream Media limits coverage on. Which says nothing about all those not paying taxes. Not reporting crimes they are witnesses too.

Declaring martial law for the military doesn't just affect illegals coming in. Moreover at best the Military can detain but it would still fall on the DOJ to take it into court.

The only transportation the US should be doing is taking all back to the border and dropping them off at the ports of entry and telling them c-ya. Its a long walk back, ask Mexico for assistance.