PDA

View Full Version : At War in Mali

patrickt
01-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Now that we're at war in Mali, do we need to have approval from Congress or can President Obama just send Americans into harm's way on his own?

Peter1469
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Now that we're at war in Mali, do we need to have approval from Congress or can President Obama just send Americans into harm's way on his own?

Obama doesn't need approval. Only republican presidents do. And expect the MSM to ignore this issue.

Code Pink? Where are you?

Chloe
01-27-2013, 10:33 AM

We should absolutely do neither in my opinion.

patrickt
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
We should absolutely do neither in my opinion.

You think we should have passed on WWII?

Chloe
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
You think we should have passed on WWII?

Well no of course not.

Chloe
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I meant in this case we shouldn't have congress or the president get involved in that country

Alif Qadr
01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Obama doesn't need approval. Only republican presidents do. And expect the MSM to ignore this issue.

LOL Pete!

Chloe
01-27-2013, 02:21 PM

i actually agree about the code pink thing that they should be protesting him too. President Obama has not been a very anti war focused president in my opinion. We left Iraq but he has been a big disappointment with Afghanistan, Libya, and now this African country. Not to mention keeping the patriot act going and also keeping the prison in Cuba open.

Alif Qadr
01-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Mali, France and the United States federal government.
U.S. involvement in Mali, just like U.S. involvement in Libya is a favor to France. I could be wrong about this but this looks like the reestablishment of colonialism. As I have hinted at and suggested before, President Barack Hussein Obama in the "Black face" that is needed to make such movements and reestablishment of power, palatable.

patrickt
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I meant in this case we shouldn't have congress or the president get involved in that country

I misunderstood. I was asking in a general sense whether the President should be able to send the military to war without approval.

Carygrant
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
You will be advised by NATO what to do . which means the French and ourselves will tell you what price you will pay for not having every AFRICOM mission raised to the ground .

Chloe
01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
I misunderstood. I was asking in a general sense whether the President should be able to send the military to war without approval.No I don't think the president should have that much power. War shouldn't be the decision of one person.

RightWingExtremist
01-27-2013, 04:19 PM
No I don't think the president should have that much power. War shouldn't be the decision of one person.

It isn't. Normally Congress has plenary power over the declaration of war. Obama has decided he no longer needs congress to do such. In essence he has usurped their power.

ThirdTerm
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
The US is only offering logistical support for France such as aerial refueling and transporting foreign combat troops along with Britain, which does not require congressional approval and France is fully capable of handling the current operation on its own without American or British troops on the ground and Obama is unlikely to expand America's role in Mali as the 3,000-strong African peacekeeping force is set to arrive in a few months.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Tuesday that the U.S. has ruled out putting any American troops on the ground in Mali, but officials are hoping the French will succeed in establishing better security for the West African nation. The U.S. is providing intelligence-gathering assistance to the French in their assault on Islamist extremists in Mali, and officials would not rule out having American aircraft land in the West African nation as part of future efforts to lend airlift and logistical support.
http://news.yahoo.com/panetta-no-us-troops-ground-mali-124036889--politics.html

Deadwood
01-27-2013, 05:03 PM

That seems to be accurate.

And if the MSM is ignoring the drone bombing of civilians in Pakistan, the assassination and cover up of the Ambassador to Libya, I don't think we'll see much about this. There certainly won't be big coverage of the body bags coming home. This administration considers our service men and women expendable.....remember Benghazi....it was no big deal according to Obama...just a spontaneous demonstration,only four dead, so what?

Chloe
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
It isn't. Normally Congress has plenary power over the declaration of war. Obama has decided he no longer needs congress to do such. In essence he has usurped their power.

I read that we haven't officially declared war since world war 2, so really every president since then has usurped their power every single time we used our military to police the world.

Bigred1cav
01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Grenada, Panama lying the US to war in Iraq. Yeah the republican presidents do an admirable job of protecting GI's.

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Grenada, Panama lying the US to war in Iraq. Yeah the republican presidents do an admirable job of protecting GI's.

Why stop half way ?
The brilliance of turning the American Hilly Billy tribespeople into Islamophobes was a stroke of genius . So add , Afghanistan and Pakistan to the list.
Then add destabilisation and invasion through proxy to get a more rounded picture ---Yemen , Somalia , Libya , Syria with Lebanon and Mali just around the corner .

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Interesting reports that the whole Mali situation is the subject of a virtual news black out imposed by the French military with complete French and Mali Gov'ts support .
The whole scenario is political spin and this time the french are for obvious reasons the NATO front line fall guys
This is unabashed NATO and US geopolitical strategy aimed at eradicating Moslem fundamentalists .
As ever , it will rebound .

patrickt
01-28-2013, 04:51 AM
I read that we haven't officially declared war since world war 2, so really every president since then has usurped their power every single time we used our military to police the world.

World War II was the last time we declared war but on other military adventures Presidents have sought Congressional approval and permission. Now, the liberals simply redefine the definition of war. Some don't even see the bitter humor in "leading from behind" the French.

I am old enough to remember marines making an amphibious landing in Lebanon under President Eisenhower and being assured we were at war. Right.

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 05:04 AM
Now, the liberals simply redefine the definition of war. Some don't even see the bitter humor in "leading from behind" the French.

And what has that" old man reminiscing " got to do with the price of apples?
Do you get drunk on Tequila and then play a game of making up an idiotic sentence where the word , Liberal, is thrown in arbitrarily ? Bigoted old man .

Peter1469
01-28-2013, 06:19 AM
It is interesting to see the French take the lead. This is the new reality now that the US has exhausted itself with a decade of war.

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 06:51 AM
It is interesting to see the French take the lead. This is the new reality now that the US has exhausted itself with a decade of war.

There is no , "new reality", as you put it .
The French are running the front end because of their history as Colonial Masters and the fact that the Mali Govt talks all the time in French!!
in Algeria the same Freedom Fighters were screaming at hostages to bring out the Americans so that they could slaughter them . For the moment the US is best suited to being a silent paymaster .
Let's deal with a few facts .

Peter1469
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
There is no , "new reality", as you put it .
The French are running the front end because of their history as Colonial Masters and the fact that the Mali Govt talks all the time in French!!
in Algeria the same Freedom Fighters were screaming at hostages to bring out the Americans so that they could slaughter them . For the moment the US is best suited to being a silent paymaster .
Let's deal with a few facts .

I agree that this is France's old colonial playground. That is why it is in their sphere of influence and why they should take the lead.

But for the most part, since the end of WWII, the US has been the clear leader in these sorts of things. Hopefully those days are over.

Taxcutter
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Dien Bien Phu?

Street Without Joy?

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I agree that this is France's old colonial playground. That is why it is in their sphere of influence and why they should take the lead.

But for the most part, since the end of WWII, the US has been the clear leader in these sorts of things. Hopefully those days are over.

I recognise your loyalty to your own military , and as one of only fourteen American soldiers ever reported with a functioning brain , I feel sure that you accept that, whether you approve or not , the US must continue its official Geopolitical Strategy .
Given that the US is effectively NATO , who sensibly believes that America does not pull every military string in that outfit ?
But these days it has been judged that there are different ways of skinning terrorists and nominally not being in the vanguard is one such way . Hence Invasion by proxy and better good old fashioned lying .
" Those Days" are far from over . The Military have finally learned about Role playing and swapping .

Peter1469
01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't mind telling other NATO nations where to go and fight.

Carygrant
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Of course not .
But that was hardly the point .

roadmaster
01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Lets be honest, it's not about the people it's all about the gold mines. That is one corrupt country not to mention they killed many farmers and ran the rest off. France gives their government millions of dollars every year and the people still starve to death. They will fight for whoever feeds them because running off and killing the farmers only hurt them in the long run.