PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU because of the shutdown

Peter1469
01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU because of the shutdown (https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/16/pelosi-asks-trump-to-reschedule-state-of-the-union-address-1103047)

Trump's state of the union address will be a not to miss event.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday asked President Donald Trump to reschedule his State of the Union address — or deliver it in writing — as long as the government remains shut down.

Pelosi said the partial shutdown has hamstrung both the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security, potentially harming the security planning that precedes the primetime address.

"Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th," Pelosi wrote in a letter to Trump.

Security concerns? lol

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU because of the shutdown (https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/16/pelosi-asks-trump-to-reschedule-state-of-the-union-address-1103047)

Security concerns? lol
Washington DC needs no walls and no security. Walls are immoral, or so Nancy tells us.

alexa
01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
It's sure to be a comedic gold mine.

I wonder if the Dems will yell, "You lie." en masse.

pragmatic
01-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Just Pelosi getting a preliminary shot in at Trump.

"The House speaker is citing security concerns, but Democrats also don't want to give Trump a platform to blame them for the shutdown."

mamooth
01-16-2019, 11:03 AM
My. This Pelosi person does seem to be a very skilled politician, eh?

The Constitution only requires a SOTU report, not a speech. It's a modern tradition for the House to invite the president to speak, but it's not required. Pelosi has the option now of not issuing the invitation.

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 11:05 AM

The Constitution only requires a SOTU report, not a speech. It's a modern tradition for the House to invite the president to speak, but it's not required. Pelosi has the option now of not issuing the invitation.
The President can invite the Congress to hear the State of the Union address at another venue. It might begin a new tradition.

Captdon
01-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Trump should tell her to fuck off.

Tahuyaman
01-16-2019, 11:37 AM

That's a good idea. I think she should exercise that option.

MMC
01-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Pence is Pro Tempore of the Senate, so he and McConnell can invite Trump and not send an invitation to Pelosi and the House Deviates.

That is what they should do, showing Pelosi sheer and utter disrespect.

Green Arrow
01-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Meh. Who cares either way?

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Hold it in a hangar at Joint Base Andrews.

Hoosier8
01-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Was Pelosi’s Hawaii vacation mandatory during the shutdown?

alexa
01-16-2019, 03:10 PM
I've already heard all his lies, but if he'd like to tell them again, that's fine with me.

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 03:11 PM
I've already heard all his lies, but if he'd like to tell them again, that's fine with me.
Relax. President Trump will be speaking to real Americans.

alexa
01-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Relax. President Trump will be speaking to real Americans.

Have you ever said anything lucid, let alone intelligent?

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Have you ever said anything lucid, let alone intelligent?
Why yes, Yes, I have. You?

alexa
01-16-2019, 03:31 PM
Why yes, Yes, I have. You?
Link?

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Link?
No link is necessary. Choose any conversation I take part in. You have many to choose from.

Feel free to ask questions as necessary.

nathanbforrest45
01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
This is just that Pelosi woman being petty.

Perhaps it would be best if President Donald Trump did not give the SOTU in the House. With this batch of unruly and uncouth "representatives" I am sure they will totally disrespect the office and turn it into a spectacle.

Captdon
01-16-2019, 03:58 PM
No link is necessary. Choose any conversation I take part in. You have many to choose from.

Feel free to ask questions as necessary.

And you said he didn't qualify for my poll.

Peter1469
01-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Hold it in a hangar at Joint Base Andrews.
Hold it on the southern border.

Cletus
01-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Homeland Security says the Secret Service is fully prepared to provide coverage for the State of the Union Address.

MisterVeritis
01-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Homeland Security says the Secret Service is fully prepared to provide coverage for the State of the Union Address.
Someone here suggested having VP Pence send out the invitations. Hold the SOTU in the Senate.

Cletus
01-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Someone here suggested having VP Pence send out the invitations. Hold the SOTU in the Senate.

I was thinking the same thing. The President does not have to speak from the House. He could in fact, speak from the Senate Chambers with only members of the Senate present. He could cut Pelosi out completely. I would not recommend that because of the possible political ramifications, but the situation is not as that Alexa person seems to believe... that Pelosi could prevent him speaking from the Capitol. That is not even close to being right.

The reality, is that the President has many more options than Pelosi does.

Green Arrow
01-16-2019, 07:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The President does not have to speak from the House. He could in fact, speak from the Senate Chambers with only members of the Senate present. He could cut Pelosi out completely. I would not recommend that because of the possible political ramifications, but the situation is not as that Alexa person seems to believe... that Pelosi could prevent him speaking from the Capitol. That is not even close to being right.

The reality, is that the President has many more options than Pelosi does.
Where did alexa indicate Pelosi could stop the president from speaking?

donttread
01-16-2019, 09:35 PM

Security concerns? lol

These non-functional bastards make a mess and or joke out of everything. Including the government "shut down". I much rather the donkephant would agree to a shut up!

Safety
01-16-2019, 09:46 PM
LoL, this is great, imagine Trump not being able to have the Republican pep rally where he can be showered with adulation from his GOP sycophants, I can only imagine the red-orange face he is making right now.

Cletus
01-16-2019, 11:11 PM

In that thread that runs parallel to this one, Alexa made the claim that Pelosi had the absolute authority to prevent the President from speaking from the Capitol.

That was false. Of course, Alexa is wrong about almost everything, so it wasn't really much a surprise to read that.

alexa
01-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Hold it on the southern border.
Hold it at McDonalds

Peter1469
01-17-2019, 05:15 AM
LoL, this is great, imagine Trump not being able to have the Republican pep rally where he can be showered with adulation from his GOP sycophants, I can only imagine the red-orange face he is making right now.
I suppose Trump can give a State of the Union address anywhere he wants if Pelosi does not make the House available. After all the point is for Trump to tell the people his side of the story so far as the state of the union goes. Pelosi rightly does not want that to happen.

Peter1469
01-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Hold it at McDonalds

At a McDonalds on the southern border.

MMC
01-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Meh. Who cares either way?

A lot of People care. Especially Trump supporters. Why should Pelosi get away with such disrespect?

MMC
01-17-2019, 08:11 AM
This is just that Pelosi woman being petty.

Perhaps it would be best if President Donald Trump did not give the SOTU in the House. With this batch of unruly and uncouth "representatives" I am sure they will totally disrespect the office and turn it into a spectacle.

While she is a petty Deviate......its all about disrespecting Trump and his supporters.

donttread
01-17-2019, 08:12 AM
I suppose Trump can give a State of the Union address anywhere he wants if Pelosi does not make the House available. After all the point is for Trump to tell the people his side of the story so far as the state of the union goes. Pelosi rightly does not want that to happen.

The State of the Union is almost dead. The Union implies a collection of empowered states with limited federal government for specific purposes only. That does not exist. The death warrant of the republic was issued in 1913. In our lifetime we are watching the death throws.
We are a centrally controlled country like most others we are not a union.

MMC
01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Yep, Pelosi was made to look like a shallow and petty doofus.

Secret Service Fact Checks Nancy Pelosi: We Are Fully Prepared and Able to Handle Trump's State of the Union Address.....

The United States Secret Service is pushing back against claims from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that agents are incapable of providing sufficient security for President Trump's State of the Union address due to the government shutdown.

Pelosi essentially tried to use the agency as a political pawn as she continues her refusal to negotiate with President Trump on border security.

"The U.S. Secret Service was designated as the lead federal agency responsible for coordinating, planning, exercising, and implementing security for National Special Security Events by Public Law 106-544, December 19, 2000. However, both the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security have not been funded for 26 days now – with critical departments hamstrung by furloughs," Pelosi wrote in a letter to the president Wednesday.

Earlier this month, Pelosi invited President Trump to give the State of the Union address. She hasn't officially rescinded the invitation......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...le-trumps-state-of-the-union-address-n2539156 (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/01/16/secret-service-we-are-fully-prepared-and-able-to-handle-trumps-state-of-the-union-address-n2539156)

MMC
01-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Are you trying to deny that is Pelosi intention?

MMC
01-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Its all about the disrespect from Pelosi.....Trump can play that game too. When inviting the Opposition Leaders. Trump can send the invite to Steny Hoyer and Chuck Schumer. Keeping Pelosi out of the WH, and Press coverage.

Start disrespecting her and makes sure she gets that point.

Peter1469
01-17-2019, 08:33 AM
The State of the Union is almost dead. The Union implies a collection of empowered states with limited federal government for specific purposes only. That does not exist. The death warrant of the republic was issued in 1913. In our lifetime we are watching the death throws.
That state of the union is dead? lol. It is just a report to Congress.... Dead... lol.

alexa
01-17-2019, 09:23 AM
No, the point is for the president to give Congress information on the state of the union, not go on tv and lie like a carnival barker to the rubes who voted for him.

At least, that's what the Constitution says, although I've noticed most Trump supporters have less and less interest in that, despite their protestations to the contrary.

MMC
01-17-2019, 09:31 AM
No, the point is for the president to give Congress information on the state of the union, not go on tv and lie like a carnival barker to the rubes who voted for him.

At least, that's what the Constitution says, although I've noticed most Trump supporters have less and less interest in that, despite their protestations to the contrary.

Trump doesn't need to lie about the State of the Union. Dec posted up 300k jobs. Lowest Unemployment in decades. Lowest Black Unemployment ever. Lowest Latino unemployment ever.

Moreover all that looking into a crystal ball and telling people what you think Trump will do before he does it.....puts uhm your concept into the perspective that it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQqZbwflfs

alexa
01-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Be sure to wash your hands when your done.

MMC
01-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Be sure to wash your hands when your done.

Why.....when we can use leftists as rags?

Besides we would sanitize before touching mold spores.

alexa
01-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Why.....when we can use leftists as rags?

Besides we would sanitize before touching mold spores.

Another keyboard kommando heard from.

I'm shaking in my boots, tough guy.

MMC
01-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Another keyboard kommando heard from.

I'm shaking in my boots, tough guy.

You should shake from that Ouija board you try to use. Did you even have the brain capacity to read the directions.

Did you want to play some more victimhood?

Green Arrow
01-17-2019, 10:14 AM
A lot of People care. Especially Trump supporters. Why should Pelosi get away with such disrespect?

When did they start? The SOTU has been a largely boring and pointless affair for decades. It wouldn’t matter to anything if Trump just decided not to give it.

MMC
01-17-2019, 10:24 AM
When did they start? The SOTU has been a largely boring and pointless affair for decades. It wouldn’t matter to anything if Trump just decided not to give it.

Obviously Trump wants to give it. Hence all the Reporting and Scheduling with the Media. Obviously it maters to Trump supporters and even people not into politics.

So its a mute point about being boring to some and some thinking its pointless.

On the other hand Trump can do it from anywhere. He will still get coverage.

pragmatic
01-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Please tone it down. You're giving me a light case of the vapors.

No. The union is not dead. Or almost. Or even a little.

Don Trump has certainly been a disrupting force in Washington for the last couple years. This latest (partial) shutdown has probably been the biggest headliner. But overall the public behavior of The Donald has been his greatest sin.

Am here to report. The Republic will survive.

We're all gonna be fine...

pragmatic
01-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Obviously Trump wants to give it. Hence all the Reporting and Scheduling with the Media. Obviously it maters to Trump supporters and even people not into politics.

(Moot. It's a moot point. Not mute. Mute means something different.)

Safety
01-17-2019, 10:33 AM
In keeping with the spirit of making sure everything is factual and accurate, Pelosi didn’t “ask” Trump to postpone the SOTU, she told him to either postpone it until government reopens, or send it via a letter.

MMC
01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
(Moot. It's a moot point. Not mute. Mute means something different.)

Thanks for that grammar correction. Although, I think it wasn't that difficult to figure out.

MMC
01-17-2019, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOle3uyviA

Here was what Pelosi had to say.....despite her letter.

Green Arrow
01-17-2019, 11:06 AM

It’s not pointless to “some.” It’s an objective statement. The SOTU is just an overblown campaign speech. It serves no other purpose.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
I hope the House Republicans will move to boot Pelosi from the House of Representatives.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Thanks for that grammar correction. Although, I think it wasn't that difficult to figure out.
I am with pragmatic. Use the right word. Don't make us figure it out.

Moot.

pragmatic
01-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Feeling the love.... :highfive:

pragmatic
01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
It’s not pointless to “some.” It’s an objective statement. The SOTU is just an overblown campaign speech. It serves no other purpose.

To a degree.

But that perspective seems to waiver among the masses.....depending on whose tribe happens to hold the White House at any given time.

MMC
01-17-2019, 12:00 PM

The SOTU is a report to Congress on the State of the Union. Containing a Budget Message and allows the President to propose legislation and National Priorities.

So wrong on the concept of it being pointless.

The State of the Union Address is an annual message presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress at the beginning of each calendar year in office. The message typically includes a budget message and an economic report of the nation, and also allows the President to propose a legislative agenda and national priorities.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_Union)

MMC
01-17-2019, 12:03 PM
I hope the House Republicans will move to boot Pelosi from the House of Representatives.

Since they cannot.....you will need to hope for something else concerning Pelosi.

Green Arrow
01-17-2019, 12:05 PM
The SOTU is a report to Congress on the State of the Union. Containing a Budget Message and allows the President to propose legislation and National Priorities.

So wrong on the concept of it being pointless.

The State of the Union Address is an annual message presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress at the beginning of each calendar year in office. The message typically includes a budget message and an economic report of the nation, and also allows the President to propose a legislative agenda and national priorities.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_Union)

No, I am not. As I said, it’s an overblown campaign speech. Presidents almost never give the straight facts on the economic, social, and political state of the nation, they spin the facts as needed to make themselves look better in preparation for their campaigns or their party’s ballot performance.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Since they cannot.....you will need to hope for something else concerning Pelosi.
Of course, the Republicans can move to oust Pelosi. And they should.

MMC
01-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Of course, the Republicans can move to oust Pelosi. And they should.

How do they do that being the minority in the House?

MisterVeritis
01-17-2019, 12:17 PM
How do they do that being the minority in the House?
A motion can be brought by anyone. Have you ever watched either of the chambers in action?

MMC
01-17-2019, 12:20 PM
A motion can be brought by anyone. Have you ever watched either of the chambers in action?

Bringing a Motion to oust her. Filing some motion won't remove her. Unless you are aware of some crime she committed. The Demos would stuff the motion. Slap it back down or not even considered it.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Bringing a Motion to oust her. Filing some motion won't remove her. Unless you are aware of some crime she committed. The Demos would stuff the motion. Slap it back down or not even considered it.
Removing her is not the point. Bringing a motion to remove her IS the point.

The Republicans ought to move to oust Pelosi at every opportunity. Don't capitulate to the left. We have one member that does that at the drop of a hat. One is too many.

MMC
01-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Removing her is not the point. Bringing a motion to remove her IS the point.

The Republicans ought to move to oust Pelosi at every opportunity. Don't capitulate to the left. We have one member that does that at the drop of a hat. One is too many.

Hoyer: The State Of The Union Is "Not Officially Off" (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/01/16/hoyer_the_state_of_the_union_is_not_officially_off .html)

LMAO.....now even Hoyer shows that all Pelosi did was just a gimmick.

MMC
01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Ahahahahaha Pelosi caught lying.

Shameless Nancy Pelosi Lied About the Secret Service and Doesn’t Even Care.....

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi lied about the Secret Service yesterday in an effort to score political points against President Trump.

Pelosi asserted the State of the Union Address, which she invited President Trump to give on January 29, should be postponed due to the Secret Service being unable to provide adequate protection due to the government shutdown.

After the statement, the Secret Service pushed back on Pelosi's comments and said agents are completely prepared to deliver the required security for the SOTU. They've also been preparing for the event for months and long before the government shutdown started in December.

It turns out Pelosi, whose shameless political antics have been on full display since retaking the Speaker's gavel earlier this month, didn't even check with the Secret Service before making her bogus statements about their current capabilities. Further, when called out for lying about the agency, she said she "doesn't care."

Meanwhile, Pelosi continues to say President Trump's calls for border security are "immoral." The second highest ranking Democrat in the House, Steny Hoyer, disagrees......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...et-service-to-score-political-points-n2539171 (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/01/17/shameless-nancy-pelosi-lied-about-the-secret-service-to-score-political-points-n2539171)