PDA

View Full Version : Local schools- two hour delay due to the cold

Peter1469
01-22-2019, 06:19 AM
Local schools- two hour delay due to the cold--

Listening to the radio this morning I discovered most if not all of the schools around here have a two hour delay because it is cold. 17 F this morning. Dressed properly, that isn't a problem that should delay opening schools. And temps won't be much high two hours later anyway.

Helena
01-22-2019, 06:58 AM
Just found out two minutes ago while trying to make sure my daughter was warm enough, (you know how kids are) that the school buses are not permitted to pick up kids who have hoods on their heads. They can wear hoodies, but can't put the hoods up.

:rollseyes:

donttread
01-22-2019, 05:40 PM

Listening to the radio this morning I discovered most if not all of the schools around here have a two hour delay because it is cold. 17 F this morning. Dressed properly, that isn't a problem that should delay opening schools. And temps won't be much high two hours later anyway.

17 ABOVE? Our kids go out to play in their fall jackets at that temp. ( of course if you saw me at 95 degrees and the same humidity you'd think I was literally melting) So tough runs two ways. LOL. Even we delay now at -20 or -25. Not when I was a kid though. We had parents and if we didn't wear what we were told to the bus stop we learned quick! . 17 Above. You made my day. Just what do we expect these kids to be able to handle when they grow up? "Thanks mom and dad , you trained us how to handle perfect conditions! Or about 1% of life!"

Peter1469
01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
17 ABOVE? Our kids go out to play in their fall jackets at that temp. ( of course if you saw me at 95 degrees and the same humidity you'd think I was literally melting) So tough runs two ways. LOL. Even we delay now at -20 or -25. Not when I was a kid though. We had parents and if we didn't wear what we were told to the bus stop we learned quick! . 17 Above. You made my day. Just what do we expect these kids to be able to handle when they grow up? "Thanks mom and dad , you trained us how to handle perfect conditions! Or about 1% of life!"
I thought it was silly to delay school opening.

donttread
01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Just found out two minutes ago while trying to make sure my daughter was warm enough, (you know how kids are) that the school buses are not permitted to pick up kids who have hoods on their heads. They can wear hoodies, but can't put the hoods up.

:rollseyes:

Boots are probably consider gang colors too?? LOL. I like your sense of sarcasm because it's funny not nasty. Something some here could learn a bit about.

jimmyz
01-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Arizona checking in at high sixties and sunny.

donttread
01-22-2019, 06:16 PM
I thought it was silly to delay school opening.

I bitched when we started delaying at -20 . LOL

alexa
01-22-2019, 06:19 PM

It could be due to icy roads. Most southern towns aren't really equipped to deal with it.

I used to have hockey practice outdoors at -10F, so I agree that 17F doesn't pose any kind of hazard, if you're dressed properly.

It's hard to stop a school bus on a sheet of ice, though.

Peter1469
01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
It could be due to icy roads. Most southern towns aren't really equipped to deal with it.

I used to have hockey practice outdoors at -10F, so I agree that 17F doesn't pose any kind of hazard, if you're dressed properly.

We had very little ice left this morning.

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 06:55 PM

It was -11F here yesterday, and a bit windy. It did seem a little nippy, however it's not really cold until your nostrils start frosting and almost feel like they are going to freeze shut. Where I grew up it averaged -20F through all of January. The snow used to squeak like styrofoam when you walked on it and they never closed the schools for any reason. I don't know about the school buses because I always walked to school. We just dressed for the weather. When your fingers and toes started burning/hurting from the cold, it was time to go inside.

alexa
01-22-2019, 06:58 PM
It was -11F here yesterday, and a bit windy. It did seem a little nippy, however it's not really cold until your nostrils start frosting and almost feel like they are going to freeze shut. Where I grew up it averaged -20F through all of January. The snow used to squeak like styrofoam when you walked on it and they never closed the schools for any reason. I don't know about the school buses because I always walked to school. We just dressed for the weather. When your fingers and toes started burning/hurting from the cold, it was time to go inside.

I've never met anyone from Yellowknife before. :)

donttread
01-22-2019, 07:20 PM

I would think if that was the reason it would have been made clear but if not that could explain it. If it had been warm enough to produce freezing rain the night before .
Was your practice outdoors like our ice rink was? I can even remember playing street hockey at -20 . I'd come home with the cuffs of my jeans frozen board stiff. We'd be running and generating enough heat to melt snow when we knocked each other in the snow bank ( our boards) then it would freeze when we stopped. At least that was our theory of why it happened.
I will say that today's boots are better . I remember how white my toes would be on those days.
Sandlot sports were some of the best times of my life. Then those hormones took over ! . Even so we still played occasionally.

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
I've never met anyone from Yellowknife before. :)

LOL, not that far north! However, climate is cyclical and winters were a bit colder back then.

donttread
01-22-2019, 07:26 PM

I can remember a stretch in February 79 of over a week when it started out at -40 or colder every morning! It seldom if ever got above zero that week. We probably can't quite compare with yellow Knife but yeah if you dressed for the weather, kept moving and got the hell inside if the wind came up when it was well below zero you'd be OK.
Those days taught me a lie. That I could eat whatever i wanted , whenever I wanted and burn it off. That ended in my 30's! LOL

alexa
01-22-2019, 07:30 PM
I would think if that was the reason it would have been made clear but if not that could explain it. If it had been warm enough to produce freezing rain the night before .
Was your practice outdoors like our ice rink was? I can even remember playing street hockey at -20 . I'd come home with the cuffs of my jeans frozen board stiff. We'd be running and generating enough heat to melt snow when we knocked each other in the snow bank ( our boards) then it would freeze when we stopped. At least that was our theory of why it happened.
I will say that today's boots are better . I remember how white my toes would be on those days.
Sandlot sports were some of the best times of my life. Then those hormones took over ! . Even so we still played occasionally.

Yep, outdoors and we had to make our own ice.

We all had long hair at the time and the sweat would make it freeze.

If someone pissed you off enough, you'd just reach out and break off their hair.

It was probably the best time of my life, even with the stops and starts drills.

Yeah, hormones lol

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 07:40 PM
I can remember a stretch in February 79 of over a week when it started out at -40 or colder every morning! It seldom if ever got above zero that week. We probably can't quite compare with yellow Knife but yeah if you dressed for the weather, kept moving and got the hell inside if the wind came up when it was well below zero you'd be OK.
Those days taught me a lie. That I could eat whatever i wanted , whenever I wanted and burn it off. That ended in my 30's! LOL
Really cold weather causes you to burn calories quickly.

alexa
01-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Just for the record, I have no idea if the doctor is from Yellowknife. :)

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Just for the record, I have no idea if the doctor is from Yellowknife. :)
I'm not. That's too cold for me.

donttread
01-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Yep, outdoors and we had to make our own ice.

We all had long hair at the time and the sweat would make it freeze.

If someone pissed you off enough, you'd just reach out and break off their hair.

It was probably the best time of my life, even with the stops and starts drills.

Yeah, hormones lol

For me it could be hockey, football, whiffleball, soccer, and games we simply made up. It's like the sandlot was my home for a few years! If IO could and could find other old dudes who still could I'd still play now. LOL

alexa
01-22-2019, 07:57 PM
For me it could be hockey, football, whiffleball, soccer, and games we simply made up. It's like the sandlot was my home for a few years! If IO could and could find other old dudes who still could I'd still play now. LOL
I played hockey into my 50s, but I stopped in an attempt to delay trading out my OEM knees.

I still skate once in awhile, though. It's the closest thing to flying that I know of.

donttread
01-22-2019, 07:59 PM
I'm not. That's too cold for me.

Yeah, Alexa got me with that one. I'm from the REAL upstate NY, an hour and a half , if that from the Canadian border and in the mountains. People hear NY and they think downstate where they freak out with 6 inches of snow and actually warn about ABOVE ZERO "wind chills"
We're a different world from that.

alexa
01-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Alexa got me with that one. I'm from the REAL upstate NY, an hour and a half , if that from the Canadian border and in the mountains. People hear NY and they think downstate where they freak out with 6 inches of snow and actually warn about ABOVE ZERO "wind chills"
We're a different world from that.

I went to school in upstate NY

Three seasons as I recall, winter, mud and 4th of July :)

donttread
01-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Really cold weather causes you to burn calories quickly.

Yup, along with all that activity . A few years back I got the bright idea that cold water swimming in the fall would "melt calories away" LOL . I'd swim, not dunk but swim for 5 or more minutes into November and into water temps sometimes in the 40's. I did so safely and it was invigorating . Other than that though all it did was make me a little cold ( sometimes I'd hang around wet at the lake for quite a while to enhance the effect ) and make me a LOT hungry. I mean damn! Hungry. LOL

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Yup, along with all that activity . A few years back I got the bright idea that cold water swimming in the fall would "melt calories away" LOL . I'd swim, not dunk but swim for 5 or more minutes into November and into water temps sometimes in the 40's. I did so safely and it was invigorating . Other than that though all it did was make me a little cold ( sometimes I'd hang around wet at the lake for quite a while to enhance the effect ) and make me a LOT hungry. I mean damn! Hungry. LOL
Perhaps cross-country skiing would be a better bet for losing weight.

donttread
01-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Thanks. I did that but preferred Show Shoeing. But sadly, those days are gone for me now. I haven't even been able to run/jog in about 5 years. I shovel and I should walk daily, but I don't. Most of my hobbies/ passions are behind me. But I can golf. Just not very well anymore. LOL

alexa
01-22-2019, 08:36 PM

I lost 180 lbs of ugly fat cross-country skiing.

Unfortunately, the ski patrol found him.

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I did that but preferred Show Shoeing. But sadly, those days are gone for me now. I haven't even been able to run/jog in about 5 years. I shovel and I should walk daily, but I don't. Most of my hobbies/ passions are behind me. But I can golf. Just not very well anymore. LOL
Sometimes having a dog gives you a reason to take a walk.

donttread
01-22-2019, 08:40 PM
I lost 180 lbs of ugly fat cross-country skiing.

Unfortunately, the ski patrol found him.

LOL ( for real) I am laughing out loud!

alexa
01-22-2019, 08:41 PM
LOL ( for real) I am laughing out loud!

It's an old joke, but a funny one.

donttread
01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Sometimes having a dog gives you a reason to take a walk.

We were just offered a free registered Chocolate Lab puppy as my daughter and son in law had their lab bred by my nephew's and she had 13 pups which all lived . They have them all spoken for now but we could of had one . The thing is we feel it would tie us down. Our last dog died about 7 years ago around the time we were empty nesting. It was tempting though.

donttread
01-22-2019, 08:52 PM
It's an old joke, but a funny one.

It is but it caught me off guard

alexa
01-22-2019, 08:54 PM
It is but it caught me off guard
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

DGUtley
01-22-2019, 08:59 PM
-7 this am when I left for a meeting 2.5 hours away at 6:30 am. About an hour and a half into it I did a huge fishtail on a bridge and about lost it. Was surprised by roads were clear.

All local schools closed.

Dr. Who
01-22-2019, 08:59 PM
We were just offered a free registered Chocolate Lab puppy as my daughter and son in law had their lab bred by my nephew's and she had 13 pups which all lived . They have them all spoken for now but we could of had one . The thing is we feel it would tie us down. Our last dog died about 7 years ago around the time we were empty nesting. It was tempting though.
It can add years to your life. How often do you travel?

donttread
01-22-2019, 09:27 PM
-7 this am when I left for a meeting 2.5 hours away at 6:30 am. About an hour and a half into it I did a huge fishtail on a bridge and about lost it. Was surprised by roads were clear.

Glad you pulled out of it. Black ice is no joke.

donttread
01-22-2019, 09:29 PM
It can add years to your life. How often do you travel?

Quite a bit , mostly short trips but too long for a dog and we're not cat people. I can howvver visit my granddogs anytime.

Peter1469
01-23-2019, 07:02 AM

I was at Fort Drum for a while and lived in Sackets Harbor. Loved that place.

Peter1469
01-23-2019, 07:05 AM

I was driving last night - roads were really clear..., except one spot. I saw it so it wasn't too bad. I slid a bit. I didn't have 4wd on though.

DGUtley
01-23-2019, 07:58 AM
I was driving last night - roads were really clear..., except one spot. I saw it so it wasn't too bad. I slid a bit. I didn't have 4wd on though.

It scared the Pelosi out of me. Took me totally by surprise. I kicked into 4-wheel after that which is worthless on ice. I was much more careful after that.

donttread
01-23-2019, 08:10 AM

LOL Pretty much , but on a good year you can't beat the summer.

Peter1469
01-23-2019, 08:48 AM
It scared the Pelosi out of me. Took me totally by surprise. I kicked into 4-wheel after that which is worthless on ice. I was much more careful after that.

I find 4 wd to have some advantages on ice. Especially on a heavier vehicle.

Two years ago I got stuck in an ice storm. I was in a small valley and no cars could get up the far side. I could going very slow and adjusting for the constant sliding. I ended up driving at an angle to the side of the road, drove over and up onto the grass and drove though people's lawn to pass the blocked road. A few other people with 4WD saw what I did and followed me. A lot of people either stayed there until the morning or abandoned their cars and went wherever they were going.