PDA

View Full Version : Dial 911 and Die

Agravan
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
January 29, 2013 Dial 911 and DieBy Michael Geer (http://www.americanthinker.com/michael_geer/)

The FBI Stats, please:

2,600,000 home invasions 2011
Equals a home invasion every 12 seconds
3.5 million burglaries per year reported
Each year 13% of homes are burglarized
19.2% of rental properties are burglarized per year
85% of all break-ins are through the door
67% of all burglaries involved forcible entry
38% of all assaults occur during a home invasion
60% of all rapes occur during a home invasion
70% of burglaries involve residential properties
Burglaries happen between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Home Invasions happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
FBI stats show only 12% - 13% of burglars are ever apprehended. [1]
Hold on to your shorts. From the United States Bureau of Justices Statistics
Titled "Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, by police response time and type of crime":
Crimes of Violence:

Within 5 minutes 31.0%
Within 6 - 10 minutes 24.5%
Within 11 minutes - 1 hour 32.4%
Within 1 day - 6.5%
Longer than 1 day - 1.9%
Time of response not known - 3.6%
Not ascertained - 0.2% [2]
From American Police Beat website: the average of seven same-sized city police response to a High-Priority 911 call is a staggering 11 minutes, 11 seconds. [3]
Before I go further, note neither our national media nor our national crime fighter data takes into account if you are - (1) middle of a heavily populated metropolitan area, (2) in the perimeter urban areas, (3) in suburban areas or (4) you're out there in rural areas.
Makes a difference. Makes a big blankety blank difference.
Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke says calling 911 is a bad option and urged Milwaukee residents to arm themselves and take certified firearms classes.

"Personal safety is no longer a spectator sport. I need you in the game."
His political radio spot goes on "With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Clarke intones.
"You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back."
Clarke said to citizens "so you can defend yourself until we get there."
"You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We're partners now. Can I count on you?"
MORE... (http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/../2013/01/dial_911_and_die.html)

Cigar
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Wow ... even with all those armed Good Guys :shocked:

Carygrant
01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
More socially cohesive countries , facing the same types of problems , cope very well.

Pete7469
01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agOZOQQ_Jkg&list=FLCrjCqiDUN9T0Z8h7qN0jfA

Cigar
01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Handsome Men who Kill Club :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Mainecoons
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
More socially cohesive countries , facing the same types of problems , cope very well.

Hmmm, don't you live in a country with a pretty high violent crime rate? Guess you're not social cohesive either, eh?

:grin:

Agravan
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Wow ... even with all those armed Good Guys :shocked:
Yes, because even all the "armed Good guys" can't be everywhere at once. That is why it is YOUR responsibilty to defend yourself and not depend on others that may or may not be there when you need them. that is the whole point of the article. Not that I'm surprised that you are too dense to see that. Maybe you should get someone that has good reading comprehension to read and explain these articles to you before you make your usual dumbass comments.

Adelaide
01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I would question the source. 60% of all rapes do not occur during home invasion... that's impossible. Every single other source I have been exposed to indicates that date rape is the most common, specifically during college years on college campuses, (or outlying areas where students live). Similarly, child sexual abuse is most often perpetrated by a friend of the family or a family member. Those scenarios do not involve home invasion.

So, something isn't adding up with these numbers.

Chloe
01-29-2013, 05:57 PM
The reality is also that i'm sure with a lot of home invasions you probably don't have much time to react to anything. My parents are both at work right now and so I am home alone at the moment. If I were walking to the kitchen or my bedroom or something and someone kicks open the door most likely the only reaction i'm going to be able to have is to run and hide or try and get out of the house before I am caught. And then if I am caught by the people breaking in then really my only "defense" is fighting as much as I can until one of them hits me once and that's about it. You can have a whole arsenal in your house but if you aren't constantly anticipating a horrible crime that is about to happen to you then the gun in your bedroom or something is no more useful than the lamp in the living room.

Adelaide
01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
The reality is also that i'm sure with a lot of home invasions you probably don't have much time to react to anything. My parents are both at work right now and so I am home alone at the moment. If I were walking to the kitchen or my bedroom or something and someone kicks open the door most likely the only reaction i'm going to be able to have is to run and hide or try and get out of the house before I am caught. And then if I am caught by the people breaking in then really my only "defense" is fighting as much as I can until one of them hits me once and that's about it. You can have a whole arsenal in your house but if you aren't constantly anticipating a horrible crime that is about to happen to you then the gun in your bedroom or something is no more useful than the lamp in the living room.

True. You should take a self-defense class or something, by the way.

The fact is, you can't always rely on the police in an emergency which is what the OP is saying (even if the numbers are clearly not completely correct). Sometimes, it's quicker to order a pizza than to get emergency services. I know for my region there is only one unit tasked with domestic disputes because it requires two officers and the rest of the police force rides solo. It could technically take several hours to get police on the scene, and depending on the severity of the dispute, someone could be dead or severely beaten by that point.

But... I'm not convinced that being armed is necessarily the best solution.

Chloe
01-29-2013, 06:05 PM

The fact is, you can't always rely on the police in an emergency which is what the OP is saying (even if the numbers are clearly not completely correct). Sometimes, it's quicker to order a pizza than to get emergency services. I know for my region there is only one unit tasked with domestic disputes because it requires two officers and the rest of the police force rides solo. It could technically take several hours to get police on the scene, and depending on the severity of the dispute, someone could be dead or severely beaten by that point.

Thanks, and I agree that it can't always rely on police to be there when you need them at a particular moment.

Peter1469
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I would question the source. 60% of all rapes do not occur during home invasion... that's impossible. Every single other source I have been exposed to indicates that date rape is the most common, specifically during college years on college campuses, (or outlying areas where students live). Similarly, child sexual abuse is most often perpetrated by a friend of the family or a family member. Those scenarios do not involve home invasion.

So, something isn't adding up with these numbers.
I prosecuted rape in the Army 99% of it was date rape or drunk buddy rape.

Chloe
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I prosecuted rape in the Army 99% of it was date rape or drunk buddy rape.

I hope all of them got punished

Peter1469
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM

I only have one gun- in the bedroom, but I have fighting knives all over the place. And I know how to fight, so there is that.

Peter1469
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM

When my neighbor was busy murdering his roommate/boyfriend, I called 9-11 and they were 5 minutes late....

Chloe, I would suggest an aikido class. It is 100% defensive. Once you learn that, if you want more you can shift into Japanese Jujitsu. It has all of the defense moves of aikido plus lots of offensive moves that do not require a lot of strength or bulk. I used to spar with a girl lighter than you (she was 95lbs wet) and she could throw me around.

Peter1469
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
I hope all of them got punished

Most. I lost a couple of cases. Not many.