PDA

View Full Version : tPF How Republicans can gain the minority vote.

Private Pickle
01-27-2019, 04:34 PM
So a spin off on another thread based upon the fact that the majority of minorities vote Democratic and why.

I'm not going to go into the history and make this thread about how the Republicans were truly the first abolitionists. How the Republicans were responsible for the 13th Amendment. I'm going to consider that historical fact a known entity and if anyone on this board wants to argue it they can refer to their respective history books...all will tell them that the Republicans led that charge. The same goes for the Civil Rights Movement and the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Thank God we had a Democratic President (Kennedy) that crossed party lines to propose that Act (then was assassinated) and then Lyndon who upheld his predecessors wishes by pushing the bill forward which was then passed by the House and the Senate and of course signed into law by Johnson.

Want the votes?

By partyThe record of the roll call vote kept by the House Clerk on final passage of the billThe original House version:[22]Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)Cloture in the Senate:[23]Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)The Senate version:[22]Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)The Senate version, voted on by the House:[22]Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Take a very close look at the percentages here.

Now every American who has a summary education in American history can tell you that the Republican Party has been the party supporting Civil Rights and to say the very least was the party that ended slavery. Many Democratic lemmings will point to a shift where Lincoln Republicans somehow became Democrats. While that is completely untrue the narrative exists and is believed by many who want to point the finger at anyone for the state of racial relations in America.

Personally I blame today's Conservatives. Obviously the shift in the South's political change from Democrat to Republican doesn't help. Yet the reason for that change is often overlooked. I mean it's way more sexy to say that the Southern Democrats who advocated for Slavery for hundreds of years turned Republican because of racism... It's just not as sexy to say they turned Republican because of tax reasons which had nothing to do with racism.

While to the educated individual who understand tax law it might make sense that the South changed from Democratic (the party that supported slavery) to Republican it didn't make sense to the minority. All they saw was the rich landowners changing their political affiliation to Republican (for whatever reason they didn't know) and as such they couldn't possibly be inline with that political mindset. The Democrats took advantage of that but not for at least 100 years later when Kennedy got on board. I mean every Democrat who points the finger at Republicans and claims racism should thank Kennedy for being the only Democrat for bucking the Democrat's take on Civil Rights.

I digress. The point of this thread is to educate and ask questions:

What are the policies of the DNC to elevate minorities?

What are the policies of the RNC to elevate minorities?

Why is there a stigma behind Conservatives that paint them as anti-minority?

Why is there a stigma behind Democrats pandering to minorities for their votes?

Discuss.

Chris
01-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Well, I'll go with economics, political economics, because in a liberal democracy economics liberalism, in a culture practically devoid of anything but political relationships, it is the be-all and end-all of politics and everything else.

Minorities tend to be more economically disadvantaged. I see no controversy asserting that. The question then becomes how do you elevate monitories economically?

Well, the Democrats, assuming a win-lose economic pie, tend to offer promises of elevation through wealth redistribution. If you're poor why then a promise of a bigger share of the pie probably sounds good. It doesn't matter that redistribution never accomplishes this, blame the rich, blame the Republicans, and repeat the promises.

The Republicans, assuming a win-win economy in trade and exchange, tend to support business with lower taxes and regulations because businesses will then be expected to generate more wealth and jobs and uplift all that way. But it also produces inequalities the Democrats can use to blame Repulbicans for.

The Democrats can then also cry racism, that Republican policies hurt the poor--even though it's the Democrat promises that do that.

Mass democracy alone, but poverty especially, has a high time preference (look it up). So the Democrat strategy wins the votes of the minorities.

(Personally, I'm pro-market but not pro-business as the latter is really just another form of wealth distribution and attempt at controlling the market, but we're just talking Reps and Dems here.)

Private Pickle
01-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Well, I'll go with economics, political economics, because in a liberal democracy economics liberalism, in a culture practically devoid of anything but political relationships, it is the be-all and end-all of politics and everything else.

Minorities tend to be more economically disadvantaged. I see no controversy asserting that. The question then becomes how do you elevate monitories {sic} economically? Sure it does. A question neither party has addressed,

Well, the Democrats, assuming a win-lose economic pie, tend to offer promises of elevation through wealth redistribution. If you're poor why then a promise of a bigger share of the pie probably sounds good. It doesn't matter that redistribution never accomplishes this, blame the rich, blame the Republicans, and repeat the promises.

Hence the responsibility of Republicans to educate.

The Republicans, assuming a win-win economy in trade and exchange, tend to support business with lower taxes and regulations because businesses will then be expected to generate more wealth and jobs and uplift all that way. But it also produces inequalities the Democrats can use to blame Repulbicans for.

How does it produce inequality?

The Democrats can then also cry racism,

Why?

Mass democracy alone, but poverty especially, has a high time preference (look it up). So the Democrat strategy wins the votes of the minorities.

Given the uneducated are doing the voting...

(Personally, I'm pro-market but not pro-business as the latter is really just another form of wealth distribution and attempt at controlling the market, but we're just talking Reps and Dems here.)

"But it also produces inequalities". How so?

Chris
01-27-2019, 06:37 PM
"'But it also produces inequalities'. How so?"

Pareto Principle. The old 80/20 rule.

donttread
01-28-2019, 08:03 AM
So a spin off on another thread based upon the fact that the majority of minorities vote Democratic and why.

I'm not going to go into the history and make this thread about how the Republicans were truly the first abolitionists. How the Republicans were responsible for the 13th Amendment. I'm going to consider that historical fact a known entity and if anyone on this board wants to argue it they can refer to their respective history books...all will tell them that the Republicans led that charge. The same goes for the Civil Rights Movement and the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Thank God we had a Democratic President (Kennedy) that crossed party lines to propose that Act (then was assassinated) and then Lyndon who upheld his predecessors wishes by pushing the bill forward which was then passed by the House and the Senate and of course signed into law by Johnson.

Want the votes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Take a very close look at the percentages here.

Now every American who has a summary education in American history can tell you that the Republican Party has been the party supporting Civil Rights and to say the very least was the party that ended slavery. Many Democratic lemmings will point to a shift where Lincoln Republicans somehow became Democrats. While that is completely untrue the narrative exists and is believed by many who want to point the finger at anyone for the state of racial relations in America.

Personally I blame today's Conservatives. Obviously the shift in the South's political change from Democrat to Republican doesn't help. Yet the reason for that change is often overlooked. I mean it's way more sexy to say that the Southern Democrats who advocated for Slavery for hundreds of years turned Republican because of racism... It's just not as sexy to say they turned Republican because of tax reasons which had nothing to do with racism.

While to the educated individual who understand tax law it might make sense that the South changed from Democratic (the party that supported slavery) to Republican it didn't make sense to the minority. All they saw was the rich landowners changing their political affiliation to Republican (for whatever reason they didn't know) and as such they couldn't possibly be inline with that political mindset. The Democrats took advantage of that but not for at least 100 years later when Kennedy got on board. I mean every Democrat who points the finger at Republicans and claims racism should thank Kennedy for being the only Democrat for bucking the Democrat's take on Civil Rights.

I digress. The point of this thread is to educate and ask questions:

What are the policies of the DNC to elevate minorities?

What are the policies of the RNC to elevate minorities?

Why is there a stigma behind Conservatives that paint them as anti-minority?

Why is there a stigma behind Democrats pandering to minorities for their votes?

Discuss.

You said you WEREN't going to go into the abolitionist history? Anyway that is not relevent today. Compassionaless social cons drive minority votes to the dems even though truly improving racial and poverty driven issues would be counter productive for the dems under their current platform. Minorities and most of us should take a hard look at 3rd parties.