PDA

View Full Version : Democrats counter Trump: How about a 'pedestrian fence

Common
01-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Liberal Politicians just suck

How about an airport walking escalator so they dont get tired walking across the border

Democrats who oppose President Trump's border wall say they might be able to agree to spend $1.6 billion on new fencing along a pedestrian walkway in the Rio Grande Valley.

“I’d be willing to listen and see what those senators have to say,” said Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, about the idea of the fence. He is one of nine Democrats appointed to a committee tasked with coming up with a border security deal by Feb. 15.

Cuellar added, “I’ve been very clear that I don’t like the wall.”

Trump wants a wall, but there may be a legislative vehicle in Congress for a compromise that involves a fence.

The Senate Appropriations Committee last summer passed a Homeland Security funding bill that included $1.6 billion for 65 miles of pedestrian fencing in the Rio Grande Valley. It falls far short of the $5.7 billion Trump is seeking and would not allow construction of the steel-slat barrier he has recently touted as the best approach to stopping illegal immigration in targeted areas.

But the fencing would represent construction of a new barrier along the border, and it already won the backing of 10 Appropriations Committee Democrats in the Senate once before.

Among them was Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., who is one of the negotiators and who still supports the money for the fencing. “Whether that’s where we end up at I have no idea,” Tester told the Washington Examiner.

Democrats on the 17-member panel said they do not outright reject the idea of new fencing, as long as it doesn’t constitute a concrete border wall and does not carry the $5.7 billion price tag Trump has demanded, which they say is far too much money.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/democrats-counter-trump-how-about-a-pedestrian-fence

nathanbforrest45
01-29-2019, 01:35 PM
What the hell, maybe we could just put down spike strips or unleash trained black widow spiders (Can I say that?) to patrol the border.

I might think this was just a difference of opinion on the best way to provide security if the Democrats would actually come up with a reasonable alternative to the wall. They don't seem to care if the United States is overrun by a foreign invasion force.

stjames1_53
01-29-2019, 02:01 PM

How about an airport walking escalator so they dont get tired walking across the border

Democrats who oppose President Trump's border wall say they might be able to agree to spend $1.6 billion on new fencing along a pedestrian walkway in the Rio Grande Valley.

“I’d be willing to listen and see what those senators have to say,” said Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, about the idea of the fence. He is one of nine Democrats appointed to a committee tasked with coming up with a border security deal by Feb. 15.

Trump wants a wall, but there may be a legislative vehicle in Congress for a compromise that involves a fence.

The Senate Appropriations Committee last summer passed a Homeland Security funding bill that included $1.6 billion for 65 miles of pedestrian fencing in the Rio Grande Valley. It falls far short of the $5.7 billion Trump is seeking and would not allow construction of the steel-slat barrier he has recently touted as the best approach to stopping illegal immigration in targeted areas.

But the fencing would represent construction of a new barrier along the border, and it already won the backing of 10 Appropriations Committee Democrats in the Senate once before.

Among them was Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., who is one of the negotiators and who still supports the money for the fencing. “Whether that’s where we end up at I have no idea,” Tester told the Washington Examiner.

Democrats on the 17-member panel said they do not outright reject the idea of new fencing, as long as it doesn’t constitute a concrete border wall and does not carry the $5.7 billion price tag Trump has demanded, which they say is far too much money.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/democrats-counter-trump-how-about-a-pedestrian-fence

a gated path to illegal entry is what it amounts to..............they have no intention of stopping the flow of illegals...........err, future illegal democrat voters

gamewell45
01-29-2019, 02:17 PM

I'm hoping the walking escalator was just a joke on their part because if they were serious about it, it is a very sad commentary.

nathanbforrest45
01-29-2019, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=gamewell45;2522496]I'm hoping the walking escalator was just a joke on their part because if they were serious about it, it is a very sad commentary.[/QUOTE

Perhaps you misunderstood who made that comment. I don't think it was a "joke". I think it was more on the order of "If you want to get stupid and made suggestions like this maybe building the walkway would appeal to you as well"

MMC
01-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Oh so now the same arguments the Demos used against Trump can be used against their fence. They can go around it, under it, over it. Fences don't work and makes it easier for illegals to climb over.

The Demos aren't serious. Nor will they give up the money for barriers that work better than their pedestrian fence.

Common
01-29-2019, 06:27 PM
I'm hoping the walking escalator was just a joke on their part because if they were serious about it, it is a very sad commentary.
That was my statement it was snark gamewell

gamewell45
01-29-2019, 08:30 PM
That was my statement it was snark gamewell

Okay, What can I say? I need a few more cups of coffee. :)

MMC
01-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Okay, What can I say? I need a few more cups of coffee. :)

So what you are saying GW is.....You will be making the Coffee. Perk!

Agent Zero
01-30-2019, 09:50 AM

Trump agreed to the 1.6m in December. Why not now?

MMC
01-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Trump agreed to the 1.6m in December. Why not now?

Trump-FY-2019 Budget Only Asks 1.6 Billion 4 Wall - AARP ... (https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/Trump-FY-2019-Budget-Only-Asks-1-6-Billion-4-Wall/td-p/2101032)community.aarp.org › … › Politics, Current Events (https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/bd-p/bg25)
President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that he "Got $1.6 Billion to start Wall on Southern Border." In reality, he didn't. The new omnibus funding bill includes no money for Trump's proposed wall.

gamewell45
01-30-2019, 01:20 PM
So what you are saying GW is.....You will be making the Coffee. Perk!

Yes sir. Want a cup?