PDA

View Full Version : Congress Needs To Act On Global Warming Before Its Too Late

Disco Stu
01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
I wish to expand on a recent letter discussing the current trajectory we are on to raise the global temperature by 4 degrees Celsius by 2100 according to a World Bank Study.

Four Degrees doesn't seem like much but our children's financial and social stability are at risk. Scientists predict that with 2 degrees of further warming heat waves and droughts will become the New normal with serious implications for our agricultural and financial sectors as well as a substantial rise in heat related deaths. An October 2012 Pentagon report on climate change finds the Colorado river which supplies 27 MILLION Americans with drinking water as susceptible to dry up by 2057 due to climate change and overuse.

As the climate warms water supplies will dwindle creating economic and political instability around the world that could jeopardize the securement and safety of nuclear weapons held abroad. The Pentagon report further states that water shortages present a threat to US. economic and security interests.

Fiscal losses from crops, storm damage,flooding and relocation needs are projected to overwhelm and collapse the insurance payout system.

Congress needs to act and reduce carbon emissions by placing a steadily rising fee on carbon emissions and use the revenue collected to help struggling American households.

zelmo1234
01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Maybe you can help me get by this?

I have a hard time supporting positions that are based on cover-up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217286/Global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago-reveals-Met-Office-report-quietly-released--chart-prove-it.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_documents

So while I have a strong enviromental streak in me, I can't base my belief on false information, and have witnessed that most of the Green energy sources still lack the technology for a reasonably priced alternative to fossil fuels.

Remember the hole in the "O"zone? More BS, it has been hijacked by a political movment!

Disco Stu
01-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Maybe you can help me get by this?

I have a hard time supporting positions that are based on cover-up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217286/Global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago-reveals-Met-Office-report-quietly-released--chart-prove-it.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_documents

So while I have a strong enviromental streak in me, I can't base my belief on false information, and have witnessed that most of the Green energy sources still lack the technology for a reasonably priced alternative to fossil fuels.

Remember the hole in the "O"zone? More BS, it has been hijacked by a political movment!

That's Why an excessive carbon tax is necessary to bridge the cost gap and make green technology cost competitive with fossil fuels.

zelmo1234
01-31-2013, 07:48 AM
That's Why an excessive carbon tax is necessary to bridge the cost gap and make green technology cost competitive with fossil fuels.

Your not getting my point? The science on Global warming for the last 10 years is Junk Science!

And that excessive tax that you are talking about will be passed on to the consumers. which means that the elderly and the poor will have to choose between heat, and food, or heat and their prescriptions! The working poor will see large percentages of there income be eaten up by the high price of gas, and Inflation to cover the cost ot transportation would also rise making things even worse?

Or does none of that bother you, as long as we force people to use green energy, even though for the last 16 years the world temp has went down!

Morningstar
01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

So, to avoid the potentially deleterious economic impacts of global warming, you want to create your own economic impacts by forcing people to use expensive and inefficient technology?

countryboy
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Your not getting my point? The science on Global warming for the last 10 years is Junk Science!

And that excessive tax that you are talking about will be passed on to the consumers. which means that the elderly and the poor will have to choose between heat, and food, or heat and their prescriptions! The working poor will see large percentages of there income be eaten up by the high price of gas, and Inflation to cover the cost ot transportation would also rise making things even worse?

Or does none of that bother you, as long as we force people to use green energy, even though for the last 16 years the world temp has went down!
Once again, libs claim to be for the "little guy", when they are anything but.....

Taxcutter
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
As soon as you mention a carbon (or any other) tax or any new regulations, you have lost the argument.

Tell us, Stu. Have you sold this idea to the Chinese yet? You do realize they emit much more CO2 than the US does, don't you?

GrumpyDog
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I wish to expand on a recent letter discussing the current trajectory we are on to raise the global temperature by 4 degrees Celsius by 2100 according to a World Bank Study.

Four Degrees doesn't seem like much but our children's financial and social stability are at risk. Scientists predict that with 2 degrees of further warming heat waves and droughts will become the New normal with serious implications for our agricultural and financial sectors as well as a substantial rise in heat related deaths. An October 2012 Pentagon report on climate change finds the Colorado river which supplies 27 MILLION Americans with drinking water as susceptible to dry up by 2057 due to climate change and overuse.

As the climate warms water supplies will dwindle creating economic and political instability around the world that could jeopardize the securement and safety of nuclear weapons held abroad. The Pentagon report further states that water shortages present a threat to US. economic and security interests.

Fiscal losses from crops, storm damage,flooding and relocation needs are projected to overwhelm and collapse the insurance payout system.

Congress needs to act and reduce carbon emissions by placing a steadily rising fee on carbon emissions and use the revenue collected to help struggling American households.

There is an asteroid, scheduled to hit Earth, well before the year 2100, which will cause much more damage.

I think it would be wise to first, focus on building an outer defensive perimeter, maybe set up on the moon, to be ready to deflect any asteroids which may be spotted, and on a collision course with Earth. This could be a world united effort.

Disco Stu
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
So, to avoid the potentially deleterious economic impacts of global warming, you want to create your own economic impacts by forcing people to use expensive and inefficient technology?

With severe shortages of drinking water and Desertification of croplands I think people will have Alto more to worry about than the economic impacts like getting a drink or something to eat

I dunno Maybe money is more important to some but you can't eat or drink money

Better to act Now before it's TOO LATE

Deadwood
01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

Source?

4 degrees c is one fuck of a lot.

I suspect you are lying again.

Deadwood
01-31-2013, 02:40 PM

"excessive" carbon tax?

Hmmmmm

Please explain "excessive" Does that mean economy crippling?

Please support your submissions.

You have been caught in several outright lies. You need to have something more than your useless word.

Peter1469
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM

That is the upper end of the computer models. Most are around a 1 degree Celsius increase per 100 years. Focus on real pollution.

Mainecoons
01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Not to mention that even one degree is conjecture based on models that have serious limitations.

In the mean time, the Chinese are building coal fired power plants like there's no tomorrow. They'd love to see the U.S. made even less competitive by enviro-wackoism they, and India, have absolutely no intention of embracing.

And over in Germany where all those non-polluting nuclear plants were shut down and solar turned out to be an ineffectual joke, guess what they are building as replacements?

COAL fired power plants.

Liberals--you can't fix stupid.

Taxcutter
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Have the Warmers sold their tom-fool plan the the Number One CO2 emitters - the Chinese?

Chloe
02-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Keep in mind that just because china chooses to be irresponsible does not justify our actions or inactions in my opinion.

Taxcutter
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks to fracking and the Hussein Obama Depression, the US CO2 emissions are down to 1992 levels. The US is within striking distance of the demands of the (rejected) Kyoto Protocol without any of the economy-crushing regulations and taxation that Warmers demand.

At current rate, the Indians and Russians will pass the US within five years.

Can you sell this foolishness to them?

Taxcutter
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
The US taxpayer and consumer "took the lead" on the Ozone Hole.

Billions of dollars went for replacement refrigerants and equipment to use those replacements. Nobody else spent a fraction of this.

Since 40 CFR 82 was promulgated in 1990, the Ozone Hole is unchanged.

The US taxpayer and consumer have nothing to show for their sacrifice.

How is Global Warming gonna be any different? All pain and no gain.

Chloe
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Focusing just on global warming won't sell anything since it has such a political stigma to it now, but mass pollution, habitat destruction, deforestation, overfishing, excess water usage, fossil fuel depletion, and all other things that can and will affect populations and countries must get attention sooner rather than later. People will get on board when their citizens have no food, drinkable water, or clean air to breathe, but of course by then so much damage will be done that it will be hard to recover

zelmo1234
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind that just because china chooses to be irresponsible does not justify our actions or inactions in my opinion.

So you would agree that as a Nation we are much better at controling polution?

Chloe
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM

In comparison to china probably sure, but by no means are we where we should be in my opinion as a world leader

Cigar
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM

We got the Guns to prove it ...

zelmo1234
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
We got the Guns to prove it ...

? :icon_scratch:

countryboy
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
? :icon_scratch:

Seriously.....don't even try. :wink:

Chris
02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Global warming is so 90s. That changed to global cooling, and when that went bust it became climate change. Catch up.

Taxcutter
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Now the government wants to take away our fossil fuels in the name of Global Warming.

What is it gonna give us in return - - beyond poverty?

Cigar
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Congress doesn't ACT on anything ... :rollseyes:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/321404_10151268244741275_725967942_n.jpg

ptif219
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
The IPCC has lied and deceived and their own report is proof

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/01/report-show-un-admitting-solar-activity-may-play-significant-role-in-global/

The Earth has been getting warmer -- but how much of that heat is due to greenhouse gas emissions and how much is due to natural causes?
A leaked report by a United Nations’ group dedicated to climate studies says that heat from the sun may play a larger role than previously thought.
“[Results] do suggest the possibility of a much larger impact of solar variations on the stratosphere than previously thought, and some studies have suggested that this may lead to significant regional impacts on climate,” reads a draft copy of a major, upcoming report from the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Ivan88
02-04-2013, 07:11 PM
with 2 degrees of further warming heat waves and droughts will become the New normal with serious implications for our agricultural and financial sectors as well as a substantial rise in heat related deaths. An October 2012 Pentagon report on climate change finds the Colorado river which supplies 27 MILLION Americans with drinking water as susceptible to dry up by 2057 due to climate change and overuse.

First, people who take bribes to spout fake science for politicians that want to greatly expand their racketeering, are not "scientists".

2ndly, All the Pentagon knows how to do is waste trillions of dollars into the pockets of the super-rich, and torment, maim and kill millions of people.

3rd. All Congress can do is take bribes and pass laws they never read, sanction more wars, and more taxes. They are incapable of solving any problems.

4th, No one who has really looked into the nature of current changes in the Earth's weather is allowed to speak. Only the fake scientists lobbying for more taxes are allowed to speak.

Ivan88
02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
...an excessive carbon tax is necessary to bridge the cost gap and make green technology cost competitive with fossil fuels.

What you're really saying is that people suffering from current high costs of living should pay more.

Perhaps all the people that believe the lies about carbon warming should be taxed heavily, have drones bombing them etc., and the rest of humanity should have low fuel prices, peace, food, fun and freedom.

Peter1469
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Who is the freaky cartoon chick?