PDA

View Full Version : No relief in sight for taxpayers denied deductions for state and local taxes

Peter1469
02-17-2019, 06:06 AM
No relief in sight for taxpayers denied deductions for state and local taxes (https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap_news/washington/no-relief-in-sight-for-taxpayers-denied-deductions-for-state/article_14c4b72e-00d7-5e1c-8630-19cda8b8bb38.html)

Great. High tax states should not be able to have their citizens deduct high local taxes on federal returns.

President Donald Trump again indicated this week that he might be open to revisiting the new limit on state and local tax deductions that hits many middle-income residents hard in California and other high-tax, Democratic states.

Even so, don’t count on any changes soon to the Republican tax law that went into effect last year.
Legislative and political realities mean the $10,000 cap is unlikely to be scrapped or increased until after the 2020 elections at the earliest.

Although opposition to the cap is widely believed to have helped defeat Republican House members in California, New York and New Jersey last November, a key Senate Republican is adamantly opposed to a change. And increasing or eliminating the cap probably wouldn’t help get those seats back.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat and leader of the fight against the cap, this month called the new tax policy “an economic civil war that helps red states at the expense of blue states.”

You fool: why should citizens of other states have to subsidies your recklessly high tax rates?

stjames1_53
02-17-2019, 06:57 AM
No relief in sight for taxpayers denied deductions for state and local taxes (https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap_news/washington/no-relief-in-sight-for-taxpayers-denied-deductions-for-state/article_14c4b72e-00d7-5e1c-8630-19cda8b8bb38.html)

Great. High tax states should not be able to have their citizens deduct high local taxes on federal returns.

You fool: why should citizens of other states have to subsidies your recklessly high tax rates?

Because they feel entitled to everyone's money? like I've been saying, they are running the money out of CA. The spousal unit has a couple of friends that moved from CA to AZ, a move that saved them about $8,000 a year.

Common
02-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Exactly Pete for too long taxpayers in States that are mismanaged have high taxs have been subsidized by all other taxpayers.

The federal govt should NOT give high tax states tax breaks, the taxpayers in those states need to FORCE their state politicians to be fiscally responsible and lower taxs.

Notice that states WHINING the most, theyre the sanctuary states and the give it all for free states.

Peter1469
02-17-2019, 07:31 AM
Totally agree.

The high tax states ought not have a federal income tax deduction available to cover them for their confiscatory levels of taxation.

Exactly Pete for too long taxpayers in States that are mismanaged have high taxs have been subsidized by all other taxpayers.

The federal govt should NOT give high tax states tax breaks, the taxpayers in those states need to FORCE their state politicians to be fiscally responsible and lower taxs.

Notice that states WHINING the most, theyre the sanctuary states and the give it all for free states.

Common
02-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Totally agree.

The high tax states ought not have a federal income tax deduction available to cover them for their confiscatory levels of taxation.
What those states that are doing the whining arent telling anyone is that you can deduct up to 10,000 of state tax and that covers the lionshare of regular working people.

Admiral Ackbar
02-17-2019, 07:44 AM
The fact that these people have no relief from this is false.

Option #1 Elect State and Local office holders that will fix this situation and run their states and local governments in a reasonable fashion

Option #2 Move out of state

gamewell45
02-17-2019, 07:49 AM
The fact that these people have no relief from this is false.

Option #1 Elect State and Local office holders that will fix this situation and run their states and local governments in a reasonable fashion

Option #2 Move out of state
Option #3 elect federal officials who'll vote to eliminate federal taxes altogether and instead replace it with a national sales tax.

Admiral Ackbar
02-17-2019, 07:59 AM
Option #3 elect federal officials who'll vote to eliminate federal taxes altogether and instead replace it with a national sales tax.y

True, but in that scenario they would still have to feel the effects of their sky high state and local taxes. They have enjoyed the fact others in low tax states have taken the edge off them. In your #3 Scenario they still don't enjoy that subsidy

gamewell45
02-17-2019, 08:09 AM
y

True, but in that scenario they would still have to feel the effects of their sky high state and local taxes. They have enjoyed the fact others in low tax states have taken the edge off them. In your #3 Scenario they still don't enjoy that subsidy

Valid point however I think it would force those states with high taxes to reign in those taxes since as you mentioned, they wouldn't enjoy the subsidies they currently do. The states would be forced to make hard and tough decisions on their tax rates.

donttread
02-17-2019, 08:22 AM

With a cap of 10 grans are we really worried about the middle class here?

nathanbforrest45
02-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Because they feel entitled to everyone's money? like I've been saying, they are running the money out of CA. The spousal unit has a couple of friends that moved from CA to AZ, a move that saved them about $8,000 a year.
I have nieces and nephews who were from California but can't afford to live in California because of the high cost of living. They all make above average salaries but had to move to Arizona to survive.

mak2
02-17-2019, 10:26 AM
I really looked at moving to CA a few years back. Mainly it was the cost of housing that thwarted my move. If the only difference was the state tax rate (9%) I would be living near the ocean right now. Taxes wasnt the thing, it was the cost of living there.
I have nieces and nephews who were from California but can't afford to live in California because of the high cost of living. They all make above average salaries but had to move to Arizona to survive.

Common
02-17-2019, 10:33 AM
What those states that are doing the whining arent telling anyone is that you can deduct up to 10,000 of state tax and that covers the lionshare of regular working people.
They are moving out as soon as they can

Tahuyaman
02-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Correct. States should not demand or expect the rest of the nation to bail them out because of their punitive or confiscatory tax laws.

Peter1469
02-17-2019, 04:54 PM
The cap is made to punish high tax states. It has nothing to do with middle class, etc.

DGUtley
02-17-2019, 05:16 PM
It was a good move to make SALT a reality.

MisterVeritis
02-17-2019, 06:02 PM
I am impressed. To me a ten thousand dollar difference in taxes is significant.

donttread
02-17-2019, 07:12 PM
The cap is made to punish high tax states. It has nothing to do with middle class, etc.

So a fuck you to state's rights? Some of those states get uppity.

Peter1469
02-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Have you be paying attention to the thread? Or do you support sky high local taxes?

Captdon
02-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Have you be paying attention to the thread? Or do you support sky high local taxes?

I don't care what the state and local taxes are except in my state. I don't want to subsidize the others though.

MisterVeritis
02-18-2019, 05:25 PM
What do you mean? The federal tax law is not causing the States to do anything.

ripmeister
02-19-2019, 11:40 AM
I'm all for it. In addition I'd support every state getting back the federal dollars they pay in taxes back on a proportional basis compared to all other states.

Tahuyaman
02-19-2019, 03:56 PM
I'm all for it. In addition I'd support every state getting back the federal dollars they pay in taxes back on a proportional basis compared to all other states.
Residents of other states should not be subsidizing the residents of states who are being overtaxed.

stjames1_53
02-19-2019, 03:58 PM
this only prove the old contention that taxes are destructive.

Tahuyaman
02-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Taxation is necessary, however it needs to be kept to a minimum or it tends to becomes punitive and confiscatory. Plus income should not be taxed under any circumstances. Only consumption should be taxed. Imagine how robust our economy would be if income and production went untaxed?

ripmeister
02-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Residents of other states should not be subsidizing the residents of states who are being overtaxed.
I said I agree. I also think that each state should bet back in federal dollars what is proportional to what they sent in.

Peter1469
02-19-2019, 05:26 PM
I said I agree. I also think that each state should bet back in federal dollars what is proportional to what they sent in.

The feds shouldn't have to give money to the states. The feds should tax to cover their Art. 1, sec. 8 duties and the states should provide for whatever other programs the state citizens want the state to provide.

Captdon
02-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Then what would be the purpose of the tax?