PDA

View Full Version : Gun control is working in Chicago!

Mainecoons
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130124/chicago/most-shooters-chicago-dont-face-charges?utm_source=outbrain

Last year, gunmen who shot and wounded someone got away without criminal charges 94 percent of the time, according to a DNAinfo.com Chicago analysis of police data.

Gosh, I'll bet they're doing a bang up job with that "war on drugs" too.

:rofl:

Ivan88
01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Gun control, war on poverty and war on drugs...........all colossal failures.
Because officialdom wants poverty to make people dependent,
wants drugs so that the super-rich can get richer......people in jail for drug trading are imprisoned for being too competitive with the CIA & super-rich elites.
War on "crime" is failure too: How can war crazies, treaty breakers and liars protect people and honor committments?

The Supreme Court said in Miranda vs. Arizona that when government officials break the law, they encourage much of the population to break the law too.

What else can a society with adulterated language, law, religion, science, food, etc. do but be a failure in the end?

Such a pity we worship Molech and refuse to follow "nature's God".
Too bad we refuse to heed the Divine Words in the Belarussia National Anthem:

Cigar
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
https://webapps.cityofchicago.org/eforms/resources/images/mayor.jpg
Contact Us By Mail: City Hall
121 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602

By Phone: Dial 311 (within Chicago)

If calling from outside of Chicago, call: 312.744.5000

Online: Fill out the City of Chicago feedback form (https://webapps.cityofchicago.org/eforms/org/cityofchicago/eforms/controller/contactUsForm/preFeedbackForm.do)

Pete7469
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130124/chicago/most-shooters-chicago-dont-face-charges?utm_source=outbrain

[/FONT][/COLOR]

It works great in Mexico too, I'm thinking we need a national complete gun ban... so that we could all have machine guns too.

waltky
06-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Chicago resident says martial law needed...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
City of Chicago Has Deadliest May in 21 Years
June 1, 2016 - A total of 66 homicides makes it the deadliest May in Chicago since 1995, when 75 were recorded, according to police records.

The gray sedan was parked in the ambulance bay of the hospital, its doors open and bullet holes just above and below the driver’s side window. Minutes earlier, 15-year-old Fabian Lavinder was in the car on 89th Street when another car pulled up and someone shot him in the chest. The driver took the boy to Advocate Trinity Hospital, where he died shortly before 11 p.m. Tuesday. Lavinder was the 66th and final homicide for last month, the deadliest May in Chicago since 1995, when 75 were recorded, according to police records. He was among nearly 400 people shot last month.

The month’s toll was fueled by a Memorial Day weekend that saw six killed and 63 wounded, and a Mother’s Day weekend when more than 50 people were shot, eight fatally, in the most violent weekend since September. That brought the total number of people shot in Chicago so far this year to more than 1,500. At least 250 of them died. In 1995, there were 320 murders at this time, police data show. A closer month for comparison is May 1998, when there were 65 murders for the month and 269 so far that year — not much higher that this year’s total, according to department data. There were 704 murders that entire year, police said. Tuesday night, police wrapped yellow crime tape around the sedan after Fabian was taken into Trinity Hospital. More than a dozen relatives and friends stood near the emergency entrance. They hugged, cried and smoked cigarettes.

http://r2.officer.com/files/base/OFCR/image/2016/06/16x9/640x360/US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_4_TB.574f312c3ba43.jpg
A member of the Chicago Police Department inspects a vehicle taped off in front of Advocate Trinity Hospital in Chicago

A man in a black T-shirt and jeans walked back and forth on the sidewalk across from the hospital. He held his head in his hands as he sobbed. “We should have just stayed in the ’burbs, man,” he said to no one in particular. “We should have just stayed in the ’burbs. … This is bogus.” A woman in a gray T-shirt and long jean shorts walked out of the emergency room and started crying and breathing heavily. She and other relatives and friends walked up to the man in the black T-shirt. “He was in that car?” she asked, pointing at the sedan. “And they just shot it up?” The man nodded yes. The woman’s wailing grew louder. She said the 15-year-old was her brother. A woman in a white T-shirt put her arms around her shoulders, consoling her.

As time passed, more relatives walked in and out of the hospital. A woman in dark shorts and a white-black top came out. She started walking toward the gray car, crying. Her sister, the woman in the gray T-shirt, put her arms around her, holding her back. “All I want to know is where my little brother is,” the woman yelled. “I just want to see him.” The two sisters hugged after a moment, sobbing together. Pamela Johnson, 44, a friend of the family, stood nearby with crossed arms, shaking her head. “We need martial law. Period,” Johnson said. “If it’s to protect our children, then so be it. … There is a difference between Millennium Park and 95th Street.”

http://www.officer.com/news/12215400/city-of-chicago-has-deadliest-may-in-21-years

See also:

Chicago's Top Cop Bemoans Senseless Violence
June 1, 2016 - A total of 69 people were shot and 6 were fatally wounded during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.

Coming off a violent Memorial Day weekend, Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson stuck to familiar themes in a speech Tuesday to the City Club of Chicago, bemoaning the senselessness of all the shootings, the department's fractured relationship with the community and the broken judicial system that is too much a revolving door for the most dangerous criminals. Johnson also lamented a gang culture that sinks its hooks into youngsters in Chicago's most dangerous neighborhoods "almost at birth," he said. "So by the time they're 12, their destiny is set," he told a few hundred civic leaders. "It's either prison or death."

Since Mayor Rahm Emanuel named him superintendent in a surprise move in March, Johnson has been emphasizing that the department knows who the violent offenders are but needs the help of the criminal justice system to keep them locked up for longer periods. To that point, he later told reporters that fully four-fifths of the 69 shooting victims over the Memorial Day weekend were on the "strategic subject list" — a list of about 1,400 known gang members believed to be most prone to violence, compiled by the department using a computerized algorithm. Six died of their injuries.

http://r1.officer.com/files/base/OFCR/image/2016/06/16x9/640x360/memorialday.574ed857b1e15.jpg
A total of 69 people were shot and 6 were fatally wounded during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.

On a day the city agreed to pay $2 million to settle a lawsuit by two whistleblower cops, Johnson also told reporters he's working with the department's Bureau of Internal Affairs on a way to make it easier for officers to report misconduct against colleagues. Stopping short of specifics, he said "a big penalty" would be assessed against officers found to harass another cop for reporting misconduct. "We want officers to report misconduct or inappropriate behavior, but we don't want them to be ostracized by their colleagues," he said.

In addition to touching on Chicago's violence problem, Johnson talked about how the Police Department is trying to rebuild trust with the community following the release six months ago of the video of a white Chicago police officer shooting black teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times. Toward that end, officers on all three watches in two police districts — Austin on the West Side and Shakespeare on the Northwest Side — will be the first equipped with body cameras by next week, he said. Johnson briefly addressed the Memorial Day weekend violence, calling many of the shootings "random with no rhyme or reason." "I wish we could track the number of crimes we prevented, but we can't," he said.

MORE (http://www.officer.com/news/12214904/chicagos-top-cop-bemoans-senseless-violence)

donttread
06-02-2016, 06:56 AM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Prohibition in all it's glory

Standing Wolf
06-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Since Mayor Rahm Emanuel named him superintendent in a surprise move in March, Johnson has been emphasizing that the department knows who the violent offenders are but needs the help of the criminal justice system to keep them locked up for longer periods. To that point, he later told reporters that fully four-fifths of the 69 shooting victims over the Memorial Day weekend were on the "strategic subject list" — a list of about 1,400 known gang members believed to be most prone to violence, compiled by the department using a computerized algorithm. Six died of their injuries.

...not to mention those shot who just hadn't had time to make the list yet. The number of those shot who were just innocent bystanders is no doubt very small, which our fellow members for whom "statistics" are the go-to guide to everything would tell us - if they were being consistent - makes those people (if they even exist) insignificant. A lot of dead gangbangers and only a few "anecdotal reports" of innocent bystanders taking a bullet? Sounds to me like an overall successful weekend in Chicago.

I can't help wondering, though...how many of the shooters do you suppose were N.R.A. members?

:smiley-char092:

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:17 AM
...not to mention those shot who just hadn't had time to make the list yet. The number of those shot who were just innocent bystanders is no doubt very small, which our fellow members for whom "statistics" are the go-to guide to everything would tell us - if they were being consistent - makes those people (if they even exist) insignificant. A lot of dead gangbangers and only a few "anecdotal reports" of innocent bystanders taking a bullet? Sounds to me like an overall successful weekend in Chicago.

I can't help wondering, though...how many of the shooters do you suppose were N.R.A. members?

:smiley-char092:

I am betting that none of them were!

You have to understand that Democrats don't care how many criminals have guns, they commit the crimes that help them get more laws. It is the law abiding citizen that they are trying to disarm.

With Chicago averaging a little over 100 murders a month in 2016, it appears that the city with the strongest gun control laws in the country is proving that point

nathanbforrest45
06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
https://webapps.cityofchicago.org/eforms/resources/images/mayor.jpg
Contact Us

By Mail: City Hall
121 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602

By Phone: Dial 311 (within Chicago)

If calling from outside of Chicago, call: 312.744.5000

Online: Fill out the City of Chicago feedback form (https://webapps.cityofchicago.org/eforms/org/cityofchicago/eforms/controller/contactUsForm/preFeedbackForm.do)

So, you are ok with the number of murders in Chicago? I thought Black Lives Matter.

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:25 AM
So, you are ok with the number of murders in Chicago? I thought Black Lives Matter.

NO they only matter when Black criminals are killed by White people or the new White Hispanic's. When black people are slaughtering other Black people that is just tuff love.

And because they are residence of the inner city plantations created by Democrats? They don't give a shit either

Standing Wolf
06-02-2016, 08:26 AM
You have to understand that Democrats don't care how many criminals have guns, they commit the crimes that help them get more laws. It is the law abiding citizen that they are trying to disarm.

I'm a registered Independent, myself, but I try to avoid generalizing about "Democrats". Democrats are somewhat less likely to be gun owners than Republicans, but it's not a huge difference, and anyway it's only what I call the "special interest liberals" within the Party who are that anti-gun. Yes, I got banned from DFP for being vocally pro-gun rights, but those people are fringe idiots over there.

leekohler2
06-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Criminals and gang members are going to kill each other. That's pretty much what they do. What do you suggest be done about it?

IMO, we let them kill each other until they're all dead and lock up the ones we can in the meantime. Since we tore down our projects with no plans for where those displaced people would go, that's pretty much our options at this point.

Quicksilver
06-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Criminals and gang members are going to kill each other. That's pretty much what they do. What do you suggest be done about it?

IMO, we let them kill each other until they're all dead and lock up the ones we can in the meantime. Since we tore down our projects with no plans for where those displaced people would go, that's pretty much our options at this point.

I agree with you.... But I must also add that there is no point in Chicago having strict "gun control" laws, when Indiana is just a 5 minute drive away, and Indiana has very loose gun laws. Does anyone NOT believe that that is where the Chicago gangs are getting their guns? They really DO know how to drive across the State line..

leekohler2
06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
I agree with you.... But I must also add that there is no point in Chicago having strict "gun control" laws, when Indiana is just a 5 minute drive away, and Indiana has very loose gun laws. Does anyone NOT believe that that is where the Chicago gangs are getting their guns? They really DO know how to drive across the State line..

Agreed. Our gun laws were declared unconstitutional a while ago too. So I'm not sure how they can still be enforced.

MisterVeritis
06-02-2016, 10:40 AM

I love lawlessness as much as the next guy...wait, no. I don't. if I did I would support the Monster in the White House. And, I would likely be a Democrat.

Quicksilver
06-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Agreed. Our gun laws were declared unconstitutional a while ago too. So I'm not sure how they can still be enforced.

It wouldn't make one bit of difference... If gangs cannot get their guns in Chicago, they will simply drive a few miles into Gary... No big deal for them.. Just a day trip.. You cannot have one State with strick gun laws and the next state with NO gun laws.. Criminals will just go where it's easy..

MisterVeritis
06-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Criminals will just go where it's easy..
Is that why criminals aggregate in cities run by Democrats?

Standing Wolf
06-02-2016, 12:08 PM
If Chicago gangbangers are going to Indiana for their guns, there must be a reason that they're not staying around in large numbers to pursue their violent, gun-related activities - instead choosing to go back to Chicago, where they can be assured that very few civilians are going to be armed. I used to live in the California county with the highest per capita legal gun ownership in the state and the lowest level of criminal gun use...and pretty much zero gang activity. Fancy that.

Quicksilver
06-02-2016, 12:19 PM
If Chicago gangbangers are going to Indiana for their guns, there must be a reason that they're not staying around in large numbers to pursue their violent, gun-related activities - instead choosing to go back to Chicago, where they can be assured that very few civilians are going to be armed. I used to live in the California county with the highest per capita legal gun ownership in the state and the lowest level of criminal gun use...and pretty much zero gang activity. Fancy that.

Because they LIVE in Chicago? What makes you think very few citizens in Chicago are unarmed? It seems to me that if gangs can go to Indiana to get guns... so can everyone else.. But why would they have to.. I can buy a gun in Chicago... I just have to follow the proper procedures.. No big deal. Gun laws do NOT stop law abiding citizens from purchasing firearms.

Standing Wolf
06-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Because they LIVE in Chicago? What makes you think very few citizens in Chicago are unarmed? It seems to me that if gangs can go to Indiana to get guns... so can everyone else.. But why would they have to.. I can buy a gun in Chicago... I just have to follow the proper procedures.. No big deal. Gun laws do NOT stop law abiding citizens from purchasing firearms.

I'm actually not the one promoting the idea that the Chicago gangbangers are going all the way to Indiana for their pistolas - that would be other people...the ones who want Indiana (and all the other states) to have the same restrictive gun laws. That hypothetical Chicago gangbanger was not of my creation.

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 12:42 PM

How about the same thing that Rudy G did in NYC. Get the bad boys off the street, get the illegal guns off the street, and you could take a page out of what the police commissioner did in Detroit. Tell the law abiding citizens that the police can't protect them and that they should get a gun learn how to use it and get their CPL

Common
06-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Chicago, 73 gun incidents in 76 hrs

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Because law abiding citizens don't break the law.

Cigar
06-02-2016, 01:20 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

:laugh: Would you like me to send a Sympathy Card to the Gang Bangers, with love from Mainkitty? Mainecoons

Cigar
06-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Gotta admit ... Chicago Gang Bangers sure as hell don't parade around with Guns pertending to be Bad-Asses

... they actually use them and let you decide who Bad. :laugh:

Standing Wolf
06-02-2016, 01:23 PM

What, three dudes missed their wakeup call?

Quicksilver
06-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Yeah? So? My point was that a law abiding citizen is able to purchase a firearm in CHICAGO... even with strict gun control laws.. So much for the old crap about how these laws take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

Mini Me
06-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Are you sure about that????hehe

waltky
09-10-2017, 03:00 AM
Deadly Labor Day Weekend in Chicago...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
42 Shot Over Labor Day Weekend in Chicago
Sep 5, 2017 — A woman was killed in an apparent homicide-suicide, and eight other people, including a 15-year-old boy, were wounded in shootings Monday in Chicago, police said, bringing to at least 42 the number of people shot this Labor Day weekend in the city, five of them fatally. The Chicago Tribune does not count suicides in its shooting data.

On Monday evening, a man shot a woman multiple times and then turned the gun on himself in an apparent homicide-suicide in the Austin neighborhood, according to a police media notification. The woman, 26, was shot several times and the man, 34, was believed to have shot himself in the head. They were both taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where they were pronounced dead. Police released no information about the circumstances of the shooting, except to say that it was believed to be a domestic attack. The 15-year-old boy suffered a gunshot wound to the back in the Lawndale neighborhood Monday night, according to a police media notification. Information on his condition and the circumstances of the attack wasn’t immediately released.

In other shootings Monday:

—A 24-year-old man was shot Monday afternoon in the Marquette Park neighborhood, police said in a media notification. The man was shot in the right thigh and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized. He was not cooperating with investigators, according to police.

—Not long before, a 19-year-old in Chicago Lawn on the Southwest Side was shot in the leg and buttocks, police said. He was walking on West 61st Street when a vehicle approached and an occupant of the vehicle began firing at him. The 19-year-old checked himself in at Holy Cross Hospital, where he was listed in serious condition before he was transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital, officers said.

http://r3.officer.com/files/base/OFCR/image/2017/09/16x9/640x360/US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_TB.59ae920678354.jpg
Police lift crime scene tape in unison in the 4300 block of West Wilcox Street early Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017, in Chicago. Two people were shot at the scene and transported to Stroger Hospital, some of the more than 40 people shot over Labor Day weekend in the city.

—Just before 3:05 p.m., a woman suffered a gunshot wound to the leg in the Gage Park neighborhood, according to police. She was taken for treatment to Holy Cross Hospital, where her condition was stabilized.

—Two men, including a 39-year-old, were fighting in an alley in South Chicago about 10:45 a.m. A third man suddenly got out of a nearby vehicle and shot at them, hitting the 39-year-old in a foot. The man later went to Mercy Hospital, where he was listed in good condition.

About 15 minutes before that, two people were shot in Grand Crossing, also on the South Side, about 10:30 a.m., police said. A man, 24, and a second man, 30, both were shot in the buttocks while standing on East 68th Street. Both of the men were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized. The men were shot by a man in a black or gray shirt who came up to them, started shooting, then took off on foot.

About 9 a.m. a 24-year-old man was walking on South Merrill Avenue in the South Shore neighborhood when a man wearing a red hoodie ran up to him and started firing at him. The man was hit multiple times, police said, and was rushed to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where his condition was stabilized. The shooter took off running in an unknown direction. Additional details weren’t released.

http://www.officer.com/news/12365034/at-least-42-shot-over-labor-day-weekend-in-chicago

Cletus
09-10-2017, 03:33 AM

It is illegal for a resident of Illinois to buy a handgun in Indiana.

leekohler2
09-10-2017, 03:57 AM
I know you guys love to shit on us because this is where Obama is from, but come on, there are far worse cities in the US as far as violent crime goes. I'm getting pretty tired of it. I have lived in this city for 25 years now. It's a great place to live, tons of opportunity.

Chicago is far from being the worst city as far as crime and homicides go:

CHICAGO — It’s common knowledge that Chicago is one of the nation’s most dangerous cities when it comes to gun violence.But that’s only because it has one of the highest populations.
A non-profit news outlet that focuses on gun coverage called The Trace, found that (https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/14-facts-gun-violence-america/)in gun violence per capita, Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 — or the top 15.
Miami, Washington, D.C. and other metro areas are worse.
And here are the absolute worst: New Orleans is on top, followed by Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore and Oakland.
You have to go all the way down to number 18 to find Chicago, right behind Pittsburgh.
The report points out (https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/14-facts-gun-violence-america/) that Chicago does have the most homicides but its murder rate per capita is one third as high as New Orleans.
In another report, Trace detailed (https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/) that in 2016, Chicago had a rate of 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents — half that of St. Louis, whose 188 murders (http://www.slmpd.org/images/Homicide_Stats_for_Website.pdf)amounted to 59.3 homicides per 100,000 people and preserved that city’s status as America’s murder capital.

http://wgntv.com/2017/06/20/chicago-not-most-dangerous-u-s-city-in-new-study/

There is no American city more synonymous with gun violence than Chicago. Last year, the city recorded 762 homicides, and more than 3,000 shooting incidents — the most in more than two decades. But on a per-capita basis, Chicago’s homicide rate is lower than seven other cities. In St. Louis, for instance, the homicide rate is twice as high as it is in Windy City.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/14-facts-gun-violence-america/

This city is an enormous place. I'm not sure how long it would take to drive through all of it. A few years ago, I realized that for a long as I have lived here, I probably had not seen even half of the city. So I took a week off from work and decided to explore the south side. My god, it's just massive. I made sure to go to several places that no one should ever go to. Yes, there are parts of this city that are just plain frightening, no doubt- and that's where all this shit happens. But even the vast majority of the south side was pretty damn nice.

For instance, I had no idea that the Beverly neighborhood even existed. That is a huge neighborhood on the south side around 95th street that is just full of enormous mansions, many owned by wealthy black families. I walked through block after block of these beautiful homes in awe.

This is a massive city, of course there will be problems. But we are far from the worst, very far.

Ransom
09-10-2017, 05:14 AM
I know you guys love to $#@! on us because this is where Obama is from, but come on, there are far worse cities in the US as far as violent crime goes. I'm getting pretty tired of it. I have lived in this city for 25 years now. It's a great place to live, tons of opportunity.

Chicago is far from being the worst city as far as crime and homicides go:

http://wgntv.com/2017/06/20/chicago-not-most-dangerous-u-s-city-in-new-study/

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/14-facts-gun-violence-america/

This city is an enormous place. I'm not sure how long it would take to drive through all of it. A few years ago, I realized that for a long as I have lived here, I probably had not seen even half of the city. So I took a week off from work and decided to explore the south side. My god, it's just massive. I made sure to go to several places that no one should ever go to. Yes, there are parts of this city that are just plain frightening, no doubt- and that's where all this $#@! happens. But even the vast majority of the south side was pretty damn nice.

For instance, I had no idea that the Beverly neighborhood even existed. That is a huge neighborhood on the south side around 95th street that is just full of enormous mansions, many owned by wealthy black families. I walked through block after block of these beautiful homes in awe.

This is a massive city, of course there will be problems. But we are far from the worst, very far.

Your grade then concerning government and policy there?

Ransom
09-10-2017, 05:16 AM
Is this statement true or false

Chicago's homicide rate had surpassed that of Los Angeles by 2010 (16.02 per 100,000), and was more than twice that of New York City (7.0 per 100,000) in the same year. By the end of 2015, Chicago's homicide rate would rise to 18.6 per 100,000.

donttread
09-10-2017, 09:02 AM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well you can't legalized drugs. You'd have to reduce the number of prison gaurds, police, probation officiers , court personelle, jailhouse cafeteria workers, counselors , prision construction crews , jail house janitorial staff, judges ,
prison teachers, half way house staff, lawyers, lawyers staff, prosecuters and staff, possibly crime beat reporters among other prohibition driven jobs. And that would help expose the true wreck our government has made of our economy. And we can't have that!

waltky
09-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Drug gangstas still killin' ever'body in Chicago...
Chicago Closes in On 500 Homicides for 2017
Sep 12, 2017 — At least 39 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, six of them fatally, as the city closes in on 500 homicides for the year, according to data kept by the Chicago Tribune.

The violence included a shooting in Roseland on the Far South Side that killed two women and a man. There were five other attacks with multiple victims. More than half the weekend’s shootings took place over 22 hours from Saturday morning to early Sunday. With the weekend toll, at least 2,651 people have been shot in Chicago this year, according to the Tribune’s data. There have been at least 485 homicides.

http://r2.officer.com/files/base/OFCR/image/2017/09/16x9/640x360/US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_5_TB.59b7b8326fb67.jpg
A Chicago police detective investigates the scene where a deceased male, 30, lies in an alley west of the 0-100 block of North Laramie Avenue Saturday, July 19, 2014, in Chicago.

Both numbers are below last year at this time, when at least 3,021 had been shot and there had been at least 527 homicides. Violence last year reached levels not seen in two decades. Among those killed over the weekend was Dominic Morris, 30, Tyson White, 36, and a 26-year-old woman. They were standing near a parked car in Roseland when two gunmen opened fire, police said. All three died at the scene Saturday night.

About an hour later, 19-year-old Juan Flores was fatally shot by police about 12:50 a.m. Sunday on North Laramie Avenue on the Northwest Side, according to Chicago police. The officer opened fire after he was pinned by Flores’ car, police said. Early Saturday in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, Carlos Cortez, 22, was killed in a rifle attack on South Seeley Avenue, according to police. Cortez was taking a child out of a car when the shooting took place. About 14 rifle shell casings littered the ground next to a silver Ford sedan, which had its windows shot out.

http://www.officer.com/news/12367057/chicago-closes-in-on-500-homicides

leekohler2
09-13-2017, 02:19 AM
Drug gangstas still killin' ever'body in Chicago...
Chicago Closes in On 500 Homicides for 2017
Sep 12, 2017 — At least 39 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, six of them fatally, as the city closes in on 500 homicides for the year, according to data kept by the Chicago Tribune.

And per capita, many other cities are much worse, as I illustrated in post #31, but no one wants to talk about that. There will never be a thread about St Louis, the murder capital which has twice our murder rate, because its much more fun to crap on Obama's home town. We're not even in the top 15.

leekohler2
09-13-2017, 02:21 AM
Is this statement true or false

Chicago's homicide rate had surpassed that of Los Angeles by 2010 (16.02 per 100,000), and was more than twice that of New York City (7.0 per 100,000) in the same year. By the end of 2015, Chicago's homicide rate would rise to 18.6 per 100,000.

I posted homicide rates for you above. You can either ignore them or acknowledge them. That's up to you.

leekohler2
09-13-2017, 02:38 AM
Your grade then concerning government and policy there?

My grade? I would say C. There are things we must do better, like fix our schools and infrastructure. But there are so many good things too, like beautiful places to live at a relatively reasonable price compared to NYC or LA. There is a lot of opportunity here as well. Our policy of keeping the lakefront free from developers and open to the public is unmatched by any other major city. Our free public spaces like Millennium Park, are free and open to all.

There's good and bad. All one needs to weigh is if the good outweighs the bad. For me, it's more good than bad, much more. But of course, there is much room for improvement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Park

However, as long as the illegal drug trade has demand, that demand will be filled, mostly by people who see no other way for themselves to make a decent buck. This being the largest city in the midwest, I'm not sure what can be done. If you have a suggestion, I'm all ears. After all, you can't arrest people for a crime until they have been caught committing one.

Cletus
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Chicago is a shithole.

I used to do a lot of work for the Trib and once when doing an investigation into union thuggery, I filmed Teamsters shaking a guy down on a construction site and when he tried to resist, they grabbed him and dumped him head first into a burn barrel. There is way too much of that sort of thing going on there.

It is just business as usual.

Captain Obvious
09-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Funny how snowflakes get shit-the-bed defensive when it comes to Chicago.

waltky
08-06-2018, 04:18 PM
1,700 Shootings in Chicago Since January -- 318 People Killed...
:shocked:
1,700 Shootings in Chicago Since January -- 318 People Killed

August 6, 2018 | Over the weekend, 74 people were shot in Chicago and 11 died, and since January 1, 2018, there have been 1,700 shootings in the Windy City and 318 people have died by homicide, according to the Chicago Tribune, which tracks the attacks and murders.

For comparison, only 3 U.S. troops have been killed (http://icasualties.org/oef/) in Afghanistan this year so far. In Iraq, 12 U.S. soldiers have been killed this year (http://icasualties.org/Iraq/index.aspx), casualties. As of Monday, Aug. 6, in Chicago, 318 people have been killed this year (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-homicides-data-tracker-htmlstory.html#), reported theChicago Tribune crime team. That is 110 fewer homicides than in 2017, for the same time period, Jan. 1 - Aug. 6. Last year, by this time, 428 people had been murdered in Chicago.

https://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/screen_shot_2018-08-06_at_12.13.40_pm.png?itok=rpZtLv2Y

In the last 365-day cycle -- Aug. 6, 2017 to Aug. 6, 2018 -- 569 people have been murdered in Chicago. In those deaths, 487 people were shot; 7 were beaten; 10 were assaulted; 10 were "other"; 23 were stabbed; and 32 were "unknown" cause of death. According to the Tribune, the "other" homicides could include death by vehicle, trauma, strangulation, or child abuse. Most of the homicides occur in the South Side and West Side of Chicago.

https://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/screen_shot_2018-08-06_at_12.12.06_pm.png?itok=aIGV9Y3q

In terms of race, the Tribune reports (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-homicides-data-tracker-htmlstory.html#) that in the last 365 days, 414 of the victims were black (not hispanic); 54 were Hispanic; 52 were not known; 47 were white; 1 was Black/hispanic; and 1 was Asian. Among the victims over the last 365 days, 508 were men; 60 were women; and 1 was unknown. Chicago has some of the strictest gun-control laws in the country.

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/1700-shootings-chicago-january-318-people-killed

waltky
08-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Chicago Police Officials React to One of the City's Most Violent Weekends of 2018...
:cool2:
Chicago Police Officials React to One of the City's Most Violent Weekends of 2018 (https://www.officer.com/command-hq/news/21016744/chicago-police-officials-react-to-one-of-the-citys-most-violent-weekends-of-2018)

6 Aug.`18 - Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson reacted angrily to one of the city's bloodiest weekends of the year, calling on neighbors to come forward to help police stem the violence.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police Superintendent Eddie Johnson (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/crime-law-justice/law-enforcement/eddie-johnson-PEGPF00184-topic.html) reacted angrily Monday to one of Chicago’s bloodiest weekends of the year, calling on neighbors to come forward to help police stem the runaway violence. “All of us know that this is not Chicago, what we saw,” an emotional Emanuel, seeking re-election to a third term, told reporters at a news conference at the Gresham District station on the South Side. “We are better than what we saw.” Johnson expressed frustration at the blame laid on Chicago police for the violence when it’s those pulling the triggers who need to be held accountable. “It’s the same individuals who continually commit these crimes,” he said.

In answer to a reporter’s question, Johnson said no arrests had yet been made in any of the dozens of shootings over the weekend, though detectives have promising leads on a number of them. At least 75 people were shot in one of the most violent weekends this year, spurred by a seven-hour period early Sunday when 40 were shot. Between 3 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday, 12 people were killed and 63 wounded, according to Tribune data. The victims’ ages ranged from 11 to 62, with most of them shot on the South and West sides. As of Friday, at least 1,700 have been shot in the city this year, well below each of the last two years, particularly 2016 when violence hit records unseen for two decades.

https://cdn.officer.com/files/base/cygnus/ofcr/image/2018/08/16x9/640w/US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_2_TB.5b68c3793ed50.jpg

Evidence markers sit on the ground at the scene where a 17-year-old boy was killed after being shot in the abdomen while riding his bike on the 7600 block of South Union Avenue on Sunday, Aug. 5, 2018 in Chicago, Ill.

The Police Department originally called the news conference for Monday morning to announce what it called a “milestone” with its efforts to improve field training for officers. But with the violent weekend becoming a national issue, Johnson never even touched on what development had been achieved. “What we saw this weekend, it just rips at everything that I believe in because I know as a city and as a neighborhood … we can do better,” the superintendent said. In answer to a question, Johnson acknowledged that some of the weekend’s mass shootings — at least 40 people were shot citywide, four fatally, in less than seven hours early Sunday — happened during large gatherings on certain blocks. "You should be able to gather on your block and have a block club party (without) the fear of being gunned down," he said. "And it's the same individuals that continuously commit these crimes. Where's the accountability for them?"

Johnson said the weekend violence mostly occurred in four patrol districts covering parts of the South and West sides. He couldn't say definitively what caused the rise in violence this past weekend, but he denied that the Lollapalooza music festival in Grant Park put a drain on police resources for the rest of the city. He also addressed the hot weather's role in the spike in shootings, an issue that has caused police superintendents' eyes to roll over the years. . "People have asked me is it the weather? Is it this? Is it that? No. It's the psychology of the people pulling these triggers," he said. "Weather? All that does is afford more people to enjoy he summertime. The weather doesn't cause a person to say, 'You know what? It's 90 degrees. I'm going to go out and shoot somebody.'" Johnson and Emanuel encouraged people in those neighborhoods to speak up.

MORE (https://www.officer.com/command-hq/news/21016744/chicago-police-officials-react-to-one-of-the-citys-most-violent-weekends-of-2018)