PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Poll- government is biggest problem in US

Peter1469
02-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Poll- government is biggest problem in US (https://news.gallup.com/poll/246800/record-high-name-government-important-problem.aspx)
Of course people point to different problems with government, but it is a telling poll.

Thirty-five percent of Americans name the government, poor leadership or politicians as the greatest problem facing the U.S. This is the highest percentage Gallup has recorded for this concern, edging out the previous high of 33% during the 2013 federal government shutdown.
https://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/ei-hmhgbzec9aw_nix1wvq.png
The latest update is from a Feb. 1-10 Gallup Poll. Full results from this month can be found at the end of the article.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 01:06 PM
A civil war is coming.

alexa
02-20-2019, 01:07 PM
A civil war is coming.

Nah, we'll just vote the Cheeto out.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 01:10 PM
President Trump may stave off the civil war for a decade. Or possibly more. The war itself is inevitable. Once the tenth amendment was tossed on by FDR and his henchmen war became inevitable. It is just a matter of "when".

HawkTheSlayer
02-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Reagan made that abundantly clear decades ago.

alexa
02-20-2019, 01:21 PM
President Trump may stave off the civil war for a decade. Or possibly more. The war itself is inevitable. Once the tenth amendment was tossed on by FDR and his henchmen war became inevitable. It is just a matter of "when".
That's nice, sweetie.

Tahuyaman
02-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Poll- government is biggest problem in US (https://news.gallup.com/poll/246800/record-high-name-government-important-problem.aspx)
Of course people point to different problems with government, but it is a telling poll.
This is true, but half of those people who think government is the problem change their view when their preferred political party is in charge.

Peter1469
02-20-2019, 02:01 PM
This is true, but half of those people who think government is the problem change their view when their preferred political party is in charge.

It would have been interesting to see that as part of this poll. I would not think that, but then I did leave both major parties in favor of third parties.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 02:15 PM
This is a question for my three lawyer friends. How would I find all of the supreme court rulings that overturned the Tenth Amendment?

Peter1469
02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
This is a question for my three lawyer friends. How would I find all of the supreme court rulings that overturned the Tenth Amendment?

Westlaw or Lexis would be the best bet. But I would think it would be hard because I doubt a SCOTUS decision would come out and trash the 10th Amendment.

The Xl
02-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Of course government is the biggest problem. It does what it wants with total impunity.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Westlaw or Lexis would be the best bet. But I would think it would be hard because I doubt a SCOTUS decision would come out and trash the 10th Amendment.
The decisions that trashed the Tenth began during the FDR reign of error. Over the years I have run across them. Now I am thinking about writing a book on the subject. It turns out finding the cases is difficult.

Peter1469
02-20-2019, 02:25 PM
The decisions that trashed the Tenth began during the FDR reign of error. Over the years I have run across them. Now I am thinking about writing a book on the subject. It turns out finding the cases is difficult.

Search for Commerce Clause cases. In those cases the Court expanded the intent of the Commerce Clause. I don't recall them ever mentioning the 10th Amendment.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Search for Commerce Clause cases. In those cases the Court expanded the intent of the Commerce Clause. I don't recall them ever mentioning the 10th Amendment.
Ah, yes! I have a book on the commerce clause. Thanks. I had forgotten where I originally read the case summaries.

I found it. Kindle books are amazing. The Commerce Clause: Historic US Supreme Court Cases.

Peter1469
02-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Ah, yes! I have a book on the commerce clause. Thanks. I had forgotten where I originally read the case summaries.

I found it. Kindle books are amazing. The Commerce Clause; Historic US Supreme Court Cases.
Lopez (1995) was the first SCOTUS case to start to roll back those early Commerce Clause cases. Then the Obamacare case got a liberal majority to agree on the original meaning of the Commerce Clause.

MisterVeritis
02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Lopez (1995) was the first SCOTUS case to start to roll back those early Commerce Clause cases. Then the Obamacare case got a liberal majority to agree on the original meaning of the Commerce Clause.
In my opinion, if we reverted to the Tenth Amendment most of what the federal government does today would be found unconstitutional. States would be free to offer "ObamaCare" or single payer or whatever they wanted. But the states would quickly go broke.

It would also end the threat of a civil war.

ripmeister
02-20-2019, 03:36 PM
You have friends?:grin:

Tahuyaman
02-20-2019, 04:41 PM
It would have been interesting to see that as part of this poll. I would not think that, but then I did leave both major parties in favor of third parties.
Many people who believe government is the problem would not hold that same view if their side had complete control with no opposition.

Common
02-20-2019, 05:30 PM
That's nice, sweetie.
You have recieved a 24 hr infraction for continued baiting and trolling

Chris
02-20-2019, 05:36 PM

And what vote grandpa Biden and Bernie or baby AOC in, won't make a bit of a difference.

Chris
02-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Actually they began in earnest under TR and the beginning of the Progressive Era.

donttread
02-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Were the other 65% drunk or high at the time?

Peter1469
02-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Were the other 65% drunk or high at the time?
They probably identified with specific issues like inequity in bathroom policies, or some stupid stuff like that.