PDA

View Full Version : An Honest Question For Sports Fans What Do Get Out Of It ???????

Disco Stu
02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
As a non sports fan I am wondering what do you get from it from a fans perspective?

When I was a kid I played sports at school and watched games but by my Twenties I no longer cared and I probably haven't watched an entire game in 25 years nor do I seek too

The closest thing to fanfare I do is I scan the sports page but sole for the purpose of small talk at work so I don't seem like such an outcast

While I may lack enthusiasm myself it's all around me especially with super bowl tomorrow

I just want people to tell me what they get from it in their own words

What I mean is like do you truly love the game , is it about socializing with others, or Maybe just a lifelong habit ya know that direction

I truly am curious as to what drives it and perhaps I might even learn something interesting

Chloe
02-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I like it because of the competition and also how it can get people together. It's cool to see athletes who put in so much effort and time to become the best at what they do go out and compete against other athletes trying to do the same thing. Also the fact that one team can get crowds of all ages, backgrounds, incomes and so on to cheer for the same thing is really cool in my opinion.

Chloe
02-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Not to say there are some really bad fans out there that are super annoying and mindless, but overall it's just something fun that a lot of people can get together to be a part of. Plus it's just fun to watch, especially if you yourself play that sport or have an interest

Disco Stu
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Not to say there are some really bad fans out there that are super annoying and mindless, but overall it's just something fun that a lot of people can get together to be a part of. Plus it's just fun to watch, especially if you yourself play that sport or have an interest

I guess I just don't see the excitement in it myself but if other people get a kick out of it more power to them

Maybe there is something missing in my personality that I don't find it the least bit interesting though I'M hoping somebody share in great detail

Chloe
02-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I guess I just don't see the excitement in it myself but if other people get a kick out of it more power to them

Maybe there is something missing in my personality that I don't find it the least bit interesting though I'M hoping somebody share in great detail

Did you ever play any sports?

Disco Stu
02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Did you ever play any sports?

As a child with freinds and at school but as an adult on I've had practically no interest for whatever reason

Chloe
02-02-2013, 06:30 PM
As a child with freinds and at school but as an adult on I've had practically no interest for whatever reason

No and that's ok. I only really did one sport for most of high school and right now I don't really do any true sports other than running and other stuff for exercise. I will say though that I love going to watch hockey. I'm not sure where you live but if there is any hockey near you I think you'd enjoy going to a game live.

Peter1469
02-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I work 7 blocks from the Verizon Center where the CAPS play.

C
A
P
S
CAPS CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Captain Obvious
02-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I rarely watch TV, but I'll watch sports (NFL) and hockey, and maybe the history channel and shit like that.

I just like football, it's hard to explain.

Disco Stu
02-02-2013, 07:21 PM
No and that's ok. I only really did one sport in high school and right now I don't really do any true sports other than running and other stuff for exercise. I will say though that I love going to watch hockey. I'm not sure where you live but if there is any hockey near you I think you'd enjoy going to a game live.

I do have some interests that are considered sports though they mainly revolve around the outdoors I'm a sucker for hiking and when I got time and extra cash it's backpacking all the way

There's just something about walking your troubles away then sitting back next to a campfire meditating then sleeping
n the woods

I also enjoy fishing and archery and kayaking

Chloe
02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I do have some interests that are considered sports though they mainly revolve around the outdoors I'm a sucker for hiking and when I got time and extra cash it's backpacking all the way

There's just something about walking your troubles away then sitting back next to a campfire meditating then sleeping
n the woods

I also enjoy fishing and archery and kayaking

That's cool though. I consider a lot of those to be sports as well. People seem to think you have to play the big sports for it to be considered a sport but a lot of activities are just as good. I mostly ran cross country in high school but I love to hike, kayak, ski (snow), and things like that. I don't really care to fish but I'll go with people to fish so that I can be outside.

roadmaster
02-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Always love sports and played softball, basketball and a little tennis. What I don't like to be around is mostly men that don't understand the rules even football. I can tell you if it's a real fumble or not or if his knee hit the field. Watched the Skins for years. You get to know them in some ways. Now was never into car racing but did know most of the drivers threw my dad. The best sport to watch is t-ball if you know a kid playing. The little ones are fun to watch.

Mainecoons
02-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I love the playoffs regardless of sport. That is the time that those jaded professionals really play to win.

Most years, the SuperBowl is anticlimatic. Not this year, this is going to be a knock-down drag out fight.

GO RAVENS!

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
This may be the 49ers last shot- lots of players are looking to move to get out of the Cali tax code.

hanger4
02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Guess my interest is from playing the games

I played football and B'Ball in Jr. High, got the knees hurt (the right one in particular) and ran track in HS. Running in a straight line was not a problem.

After schooling I played Fastpitch softball and after that vicious time kept marching on I started playing slowpitch softball.

Played Slow'Ball till the oldest daughter showed interest in sports, then started teaching her the ins and outs of the game Softball.

BTW she played in college (NAIA) and the scholarship moneys was a godsend.

The youngest (girl) played the game also, but not in college. She's working toward a Med, degree and to play sports at the college level while studying for a Med degree takes a dedicated genius and her main interest is the degree. Yup, I'm a proud papa, of both.

I coached some of their younger teams and still help coach a 12'under and 16'under team. Really fun to watch the young ladies grow and excel in sports and academics.
Yes we stress and work the academics to our summer ball players.

Sorry for the long winded reply, kind a got caught up in the remembering the past, like looking at pictures.

Any way I like sports cause it's been so much a part of my life especially smaller college and HS sports cause the kids still play for the love of the game not a Pro money contract.

roadmaster
02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
What I still don't understand is how they are tax exempt. The NFL and ACC somehow falls into the not for profit organizations.

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 05:52 AM
With the exception of Sex , sport represents the greatest way of bringing people and nations together .
Which is why it is doubly unfortunate that an incredibly insular nation like America has such world minority sports as its favourites .
American football will only essentially attract people who are not skilful and manly enough to show talent at Football and Rugby .And Basketball must be loved by all men under six feet -- plus it is remarkably predictable and therefore ultimately small minded .
Essentially America only shines in sports when the only other nations involved are Canada and Russia .Not what we call raising the bar very high .

roadmaster
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
With the exception of Sex , sport represents the greatest way of bringing people and nations together .
Which is why it is doubly unfortunate that an incredibly insular nation like America has such world minority sports as its favourites .
American football will only essentially attract people who are not skilful and manly enough to show talent at Football and Rugby .And Basketball must be loved by all men under six feet -- plus it is remarkably predictable and therefore ultimately small minded .
Essentially America only shines in sports when the only other nations involved are Canada and Russia .Not what we call raising the bar very high .

Let me guess you like soccer. One of my daughters is dating a half German guy and he doesn't consider our football a real sport.:laugh:

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Let me guess you like soccer. One of my daughters is dating a half German guy and he doesn't consider our football a real sport.:laugh:

You probably know it is known as the Beautiful Game .
Athleticism , remarkable skills, ballet and humour .
God's gift to mankind . Which is why he presented it to Team GB .

Threeup63
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Other than staying fit,I played Basketball,Softball,up into my late 30's I just love the sports Baseball was my first love as a child. I'm a fan of the NFL,MLB.NBA,NCAA Sports,Pro Tennis.:afro: