PDA

View Full Version : Cybersecurity pros now praise Trump’s policies

Peter1469
03-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Cybersecurity pros now praise Trump’s policies (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-cybersecurity-202/2019/03/12/the-cybersecurity-202-security-pros-once-worried-trump-would-be-a-loose-cannon-in-cyberspace-now-they-praise-his-policies/5c8703381b326b2d177d6058/?utm_term=.ef78560dca5d)

It took a long time for the US to decide to use its offensive cybersecurity tools. Good that we finally have.

When President Trump took the oath of office in January 2017, cybersecurity industry officials were anxious — to put it mildly.

They fretted (https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2017/02/industry-still-waiting-trumps-cyber-policy-anxiety-cautious-optimism/135670/) about the possibility of whiplash-inducing policy shifts (https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/11/dont-put-pentagon-private-industry-cyber/133515/) that would scrap years of progress protecting government and industry from cyberattacks.

They feared that the outsider president — who’d already called on supporters to boycott Apple when it refused to help the FBI crack into its own encryption --- might go to open war with the cyber and tech companies whose help he needed to secure the nation.

Most importantly, they lamented how the incoming president refused to accept intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Russia was responsible for a hacking and influence operation that upended the election that brought him to office. They feared Trump, who famously suggested a lone 400-pound hacker (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/19/heres-everything-trump-has-said-about-russian-interference-in-2016/?utm_term=.a326a3f789ed) could have been responsible, would stop naming and shaming its greatest foes in cyberspace.
What a difference two years can make.

Read the rest at the link.

MisterVeritis
03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Cybersecurity pros now praise Trump’s policies (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-cybersecurity-202/2019/03/12/the-cybersecurity-202-security-pros-once-worried-trump-would-be-a-loose-cannon-in-cyberspace-now-they-praise-his-policies/5c8703381b326b2d177d6058/?utm_term=.ef78560dca5d)

It took a long time for the US to decide to use its offensive cybersecurity tools. Good that we finally have.

Read the rest at the link.
Russia did not hack the election. The author should be more careful.

alexa
03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Russia did not hack the election. The author should be more careful.
That's not what he said. You should read more carefully.

I suspect the reason Trump's cyber policies are earning praise is because he doesn't have any interest in them.

If he did, he would have reversed them because of his pathological hatred of anything Obama.

Kiersten Todt, a former White House official, directed an Obama-era cybersecurity policy commission tasked with making recommendation to the next presidential administration. Two years later, she said, it’s striking how many of that commission’s recommendations (https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2016/12/02/cybersecurity-commission-report-final-post.pdf) — from addressing the threat of botnets to surging cooperation between government and the private sector — are being put into effect.

MisterVeritis
03-14-2019, 10:44 AM

I suspect the reason Trump's cyber policies are earning praise is because he doesn't have any interest in them.

If he did, he would have reversed them because of his pathological hatred of anything Obama.
I was responding to this, "Most importantly, they lamented how the incoming president refused to accept intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Russia was responsible for a hacking and influence operation "

MisterVeritis
03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

President Obama was damage. President Trump is repair, restore, and improve. Who doesn't hate damage?

alexa
03-14-2019, 11:03 AM
I was responding to this, "Most importantly, they lamented how the incoming president refused to accept intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Russia was responsible for a hacking and influence operation "
They were.

Peter1469
03-14-2019, 01:18 PM

Obama did not conduct offensive cyberops.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 03:02 PM
I would think that several nations have hacked or attempted to hack and influence our political system. Of course we really don't know what happened in 2016 because we are only taking the word of the DNC/Clinton campaign and that evidence has been destroyed by now.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 03:04 PM
It's likely he did against people or domestic organizations which opposed his policies.

alexa
03-14-2019, 04:20 PM

They're implementing policies that were written by a commission Obama set up.

alexa
03-14-2019, 04:21 PM
It's likely he did against people or domestic organizations which opposed his policies.

:rofl:

Sure.

Was that before or after he and Hillary shipped all that uranium to Russia?

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 04:26 PM
:rofl:

Sure.

Was that before or after he and Hillary shipped all that uranium to Russia?Obama presided over a corrupt administration. Much of that corruption is just now being exposed. Hacks either deny the corruption or shrug it off and condone it.

Cotton1
03-14-2019, 04:27 PM
President Obama was damage. President Trump is repair, restore, and improve. Who doesn't hate damage?

Obama tried his best to pollute America with his pro-Muslim agenda. It worked on a few as evidenced by the liberals simultaneous coddling of Muslims while waging war against Christianity.

alexa
03-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Obama presided over a corrupt administration. Much of that corruption is just now being exposed. Hacks either deny the corruption or shrug it off and condone it.
He's been out of office over two years, yet no indictments or charges have been forthcoming.

The GOP was in control of both branches and the Executive for most of that time, and had free rein to investigate whatever they wished.

Still, crickets.

Must be the *deep state*, huh? Or are they all *RINO*s?

lol

alexa
03-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Obama tried his best to pollute America with his pro-Muslim agenda. It worked on a few as evidenced by the liberals simultaneous coddling of Muslims while waging war against Christianity.
What do you expect from a Kenyan?

Cotton1
03-14-2019, 04:40 PM
What do you expect from a Kenyan?

A gold plated replica of the fig leaf he wore for a diaper?

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 04:41 PM
He's been out of office over two years, yet no indictments or charges have been forthcoming.

The GOP was in control of both branches and the Executive for most of that time, and had free rein to investigate whatever they wished.

Still, crickets.

Must be the *deep state*, huh? Or are they all *RINO*s?

lol

The corruption of his justice department is coming out right now. Lisa Page just described some of it in her recent testimony. But you'll do what hacks usually do. Deny it or justify it.

Obama didn't need to direct it personally. He put people in positions of authority he knew would use their own initiative.

mamooth
03-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Obama presided over a corrupt administration.

Why does TheCultOfTrump say such insane things? It's about prestige and self-preservation.

If the party hack shows a willingness to tell reality-defying lies and get publicly humiliated for it on behalf of TheParty, that demonstrates their loyalty to TheParty, and that earns them prestige with the other party apparatchiks.

And given the violent and unstable nature of TheCultOfTrump, it's a matter of life and death to remain in good standing with the cult. Cultists hate apostates even more than they hate non-cultists. A refusal to lie on behalf of TheParty would make one an apostate in the eyes of the other cultists. Under the bus that apostate would go, at least metaphorically, if not physically. Ask Ann Coulter how things have been lately.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 04:45 PM
What does ^^^^ have to do with the corruption of the Obama administration?

alexa
03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
The corruption of his justice department is coming out right now. Lisa Page just described some of it in her recent testimony. But you'll do what hacks usually do. Deny it or justify it.

Obama didn't need to direct it personally. He put people in positions of authority he knew would use their own initiative.

Is that the official line from Fox?

I've read the transcript. Have you?

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 04:51 PM

You just can’t help yourself. You have an uncontrollable need to troll.

MisterVeritis
03-14-2019, 04:58 PM
They were.
There is no evidence of hacking.

I am done on this topic.

MisterVeritis
03-14-2019, 05:00 PM
I would think that several nations have hacked or attempted to hack and influence our political system. Of course we really don't know what happened in 2016 because we are only taking the word of the DNC/Clinton campaign and that evidence has been destroyed by now.
I have no doubt the Russians, along with every other interested nation compromised the unlawful Clinton server. That is a far different thing than saying our political system was hacked by the Russians.

It does not matter. We have chosen not to act against the perps in this country.

alexa
03-14-2019, 05:15 PM
You just can’t help yourself. You have an uncontrollable need to troll.
It's a pretty simple question. Have you read the transcript or not?

Peter1469
03-14-2019, 05:18 PM
They're implementing policies that were written by a commission Obama set up.

Right, and maybe before that. The US has not actually used offensive cyber until now. Outside of the US, I mean.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 05:31 PM
Right, and maybe before that. The US has not actually used offensive cyber until now. Outside of the US, I mean.
I'm quite certain it's been used inside the US by Obama adminstration people.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Ive read parts of it. She clearly describes a corrupt Justice department.

Captdon
03-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Why does TheCultOfTrump say such insane things? It's about prestige and self-preservation.

If the party hack shows a willingness to tell reality-defying lies and get publicly humiliated for it on behalf of TheParty, that demonstrates their loyalty to TheParty, and that earns them prestige with the other party apparatchiks.

And given the violent and unstable nature of TheCultOfTrump, it's a matter of life and death to remain in good standing with the cult. Cultists hate apostates even more than they hate non-cultists. A refusal to lie on behalf of TheParty would make one an apostate in the eyes of the other cultists. Under the bus that apostate would go, at least metaphorically, if not physically. Ask Ann Coulter how things have been lately.

Sweating aren't you, Claude?