PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians cut heart risk by 32%

Adelaide
02-03-2013, 04:45 PM
A study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital treatment as a result of heart disease.

Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and body weight are thought to be behind the health boost....

The results showed the vegetarians had lower blood pressure, lower levels of "bad" cholesterol and were more likely to have a healthy weight.

Tracy Parker, from the British Heart Foundation, said: "This research reminds us that we should try to eat a balanced and varied diet - whether this includes meat or not.

"But remember, choosing the veggie option on the menu is not a shortcut to a healthy heart. After all, there are still plenty of foods suitable for vegetarians that are high in saturated fat and salt.

Vegetarians cut heart risk by 32% (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509)

@Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

Discuss? :)

Mister D
02-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Did they make any distinction between the diets of people who eat meat? Regularly eating poultry, lean beef, and lean pork is quite a bit different than fatty hamburger, ribs, and T-bone steaks.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Going even further than Mr. D, I would like to see a distinction between those who eat grain fed meat v. those who eat grass fed meat. The balance of essential trans-fatty acids are very unhealthy in grain fed met- too much omega 6s to 3s. This causes inflammation, and heart disease.

I can see vegetarians having less heart disease (that the grain feed meat eaters), but what about their overall health- with sometimes serious vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Hold on let me clean off my podium and polish my trophy......

Chloe
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Going even further than Mr. D, I would like to see a distinction between those who eat grain fed meat v. those who eat grass fed meat. The balance of essential trans-fatty acids are very unhealthy in grain fed met- too much omega 6s to 3s. This causes inflammation, and heart disease.

I can see vegetarians having less heart disease (that the grain feed meat eaters), but what about their overall health- with sometimes serious vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

I wouldn't think it would really make THAT big of a difference with grass or grain fed. I'm sure there is probably some type of difference but not significant enough to make an impact on your health. I could be wrong.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't think it would really make THAT big of a difference with grass or grain fed. I'm sure there is probably some type of difference but not significant enough to make an impact on your health. I could be wrong.

Oh sure. We actually agree for once. :wink:

http://www.mercola.com/beef/health_benefits.htm

Whereas cellular proteins are genetically determined, the polyunsaturated fatty acids composition of all cell membranes is to a great extent dependent on the dietary intake.
There are many kinds of fats in the body. Some of the most crucial fats are in the list of compounds that make up the cell walls for all of the body's cells.
After isolating these fats scientific experiments determined that if the ratio of omega 6 fats to omega 3 fats exceeds 4:1, people have more health problems. This is especially meaningful since grain-fed beef can have ratios that exceed 20:1 whereby grass-fed beef is down around 3:1.
Similar ratios are also found in all grain-fed versus grass-fed livestock products.
Grassfed products are rich in all the fats now proven to be health-enhancing, but low in the fats that have been linked with disease.
If you want to read a comprehensive review of omega 3 fats along with 78 references to the clinical literature you can read Omega 3 Oils. (http://thepoliticalforums.com/beef/omega3_oil.htm)

Chloe
02-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh sure. We actually agree for once. :wink:

http://www.mercola.com/beef/health_benefits.htm

Whereas cellular proteins are genetically determined, the polyunsaturated fatty acids composition of all cell membranes is to a great extent dependent on the dietary intake.
There are many kinds of fats in the body. Some of the most crucial fats are in the list of compounds that make up the cell walls for all of the body's cells.
After isolating these fats scientific experiments determined that if the ratio of omega 6 fats to omega 3 fats exceeds 4:1, people have more health problems. This is especially meaningful since grain-fed beef can have ratios that exceed 20:1 whereby grass-fed beef is down around 3:1.
Similar ratios are also found in all grain-fed versus grass-fed livestock products.
Grassfed products are rich in all the fats now proven to be health-enhancing, but low in the fats that have been linked with disease.

If you want to read a comprehensive review of omega 3 fats along with 78 references to the clinical literature you can read Omega 3 Oils. (http://thepoliticalforums.com/beef/omega3_oil.htm)

Thanks....I still have a healthier heart though :)

Disco Stu
02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
All due respect nothing wrong with vegetarians

I just can't eat like that

Fer chrisakes to chug down a salad I need shredded Ham n cheese copious amount of Bacon bits and like half a bottle of ranch dressing

To each their own

I want a cheeseburger

No offense

Chloe
02-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Fer chrisakes to chug down a salad I need shredded Ham n cheese copious amount of Bacon bits and like half a bottle of ranch dressing

To each their own

I want a cheeseburger

No offense

Well I mean it's not like I sit at the table everyday with just a head of lettuce like i'm a turtle or something. I eat more than just salad :smiley:

Captain Obvious
02-03-2013, 07:28 PM

To each their own

I want a cheeseburger

No offense

Taco salad.

Adelaide
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Taco salad.

I can't tell if you're referring to something sexual.

Anyways... I don't eat much meat at all. I eat turkey or chicken a couple times a year but for the most part won't touch meat unless I'm out west and enjoying all the wonderful game meats available.

Disco Stu
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Anyways... I don't eat much meat at all. I eat turkey or chicken a couple times a year but for the most part won't touch meat unless I'm out west and enjoying all the wonderful game meats available.

That goes against nature

Mankind's caveman ancestors where hardcore carnivores

Ever heard of the PALEO DIET the famous ATKINS DIET is based on PALEOLITHIC DIET

Thats meat vegetables nuts no grains especially white grains

roadmaster
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't really call them grass feed they eat graminoids which is high in vitamin's. It's a better meat. They all have fat but it's proportioned different than grain fed and taste much better. But they all eat grass and milk at the beginning. It does matter what they eat and what type of soil they are feed on.

Disco Stu
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't really call them grass feed they eat graminoids which is high in vitamin's. It's a better meat. They all have fat but it's proportioned different than grain fed and taste much better. But they all eat grass and milk at the beginning. It does matter what they eat and what type of soil they are feed on.

I think they were talking about artificial growth hormones like milk most says RBhg free

Same with meats

Awhile back 10 year old girls had full racks n hips that was from ARTIFICIAL HORMONES

Even the feed if pesticide laden feed those chemicals collect in the fat of livestock much like mercury collects in fish

Weird shit but TRUE

roadmaster
02-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Anyways... I don't eat much meat at all. I eat turkey or chicken a couple times a year but for the most part won't touch meat unless I'm out west and enjoying all the wonderful game meats available. Yes but even with them some places have them all together actually eating their own feces except for the wild game. It matters what an animal eats. But I agree with you wild or taken care of chickens ect taste a lot better than the ones they have in the grocery stores. The only thing we ever had to worry about was bobcats and snakes going after them and the eggs.

roadmaster
02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I think they were talking about artificial growth hormones like milk most says RBhg free

Same with meats

Awhile back 10 year old girls had full racks n hips that was from ARTIFICIAL HORMONES

Even the feed if pesticide laden feed those chemicals collect in the fat of livestock much like mercury collects in fish

Weird shit but TRUE

Yes it's true

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks....I still have a healthier heart though :)

I will take you on a run that will blow your heart out of your chest.... i may not survive it, but whatever.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Well I mean it's not like I sit at the table everyday with just a head of lettuce like i'm a turtle or something. I eat more than just salad :smiley:

How about caviar?

Chloe
02-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I will take you on a run that will blow your heart out of your chest.... i may not survive it, but whatever.

I can run for a long long time

Chloe
02-03-2013, 09:08 PM
How about caviar?

I've only seen it as a garnish. I wouldn't eat it though.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I can run for a long long time

Steady state I imagine.

HIIT.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I've only seen it as a garnish. I wouldn't eat it though.

It is good. But yes as a garnish.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Steady state I imagine.

HIIT.

What's HIIT?

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:03 PM
What's HIIT?

high intensity interval training.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
high intensity interval training.

Sorry, what exactly is that? Is that like the obstacle course stuff?

zelmo1234
02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I was at an amazing wild game dinner last night, i don't suppose that would count as vegitarian. but I did have gator for the first time. quite amazing actually

But I know that I eat a lot of venison and other wild game, and that acording to my Doc is much better for you?

But you have to give a lot of credit to those that want to live a vegitarian or vegan lifestyle, it is not east to get all of your nutrician without eating meats! And I have never met one that was not dedicated to getting all of their nutricional needs.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
It is like sprinting for 30 seconds on an elliptical and walking for 90 seconds. Repeat 8 times.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:12 PM
It is like sprinting for 30 seconds on an elliptical and walking for 90 seconds. Repeat 8 times.

Oh, well I think I could probably do that

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Oh, well I think I could probably do that

Well do that, and report back.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Well do that, and report back.

Maybe later on. I'm finally not limping anymore so sprinting eight times probably isn't a good idea.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Maybe later on. I'm finally not limping anymore so sprinting eight times probably isn't a good idea.

WTF, get off your ass and move. Soldier. :wink:

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:30 PM
WTF, get off your ass and move. Soldier. :wink:

Sure. I can barely push my own body weight off of the ground but I can easily go run sprints on a bad ankle.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Sure. I can barely push my own body weight off of the ground but I can easily go run sprints on a bad ankle.

Suck it up buttercup... the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Suck it up buttercup... the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!

That reminds me of high school. When I ran cross country in high school our coach used to make us go until just before our breaking point. It SUCKED. I remember finishing a run during a practice once, totally exhausted, I was already sick that day and I just was not in the mood. As soon as I crossed the finish line and stopped to rest he yelled at me that I slacked off the last lap and told me to go make it up...run another lap. I think I answered him with something like "what" and so obviously that quickly turned it into two extra laps for me. I think i got sick twice that practice on the same run. Never again.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
That reminds me of high school. When I ran cross country in high school our coach used to make us go until just before our breaking point. It SUCKED. I remember finishing a run during a practice once, totally exhausted, I was already sick that day and I just was not in the mood. As soon as I crossed the finish line and stopped to rest he yelled at me that I slacked off the last lap and told me to go make it up...run another lap. I think I answered him with something like "what" and so obviously that quickly turned it into two extra laps for me. I think i got sick twice that practice on the same run. Never again.

Do we need to replay the private Benjamin clip?

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Do we need to replay the private Benjamin clip?

no that's ok

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
no that's ok

That is what I thought.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Not to get the topic off of me for a moment but I think you should try to have my diet for like three days and see how it goes for you.

zelmo1234
02-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Not to get the topic off of me for a moment but I think you should try to have my diet for like three days and see how it goes for you.

Would you be willing to trade I will eat your good for a week and then you eat my diet for a week

Chloe
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Would you be willing to trade I will eat your good for a week and then you eat my diet for a week

See the problem with that is that I don't eat meat because of ethical reasons, not for health reasons. Someone like Peter not eating meat for a week is just an annoyance for him, but for me eating meat would be wrong in my mind.

Peter1469
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM

I have tried that for about three weeks and it didn't work well for me.

Three days of no meat wouldn't be a problem.

Chloe
02-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I have tried that for about three weeks and it didn't work well for me.

Three days of no meat wouldn't be a problem.

True. Could you ever go without steak? Like you'd still eat chicken and fish and things like that, just not steak.

Peter1469
02-04-2013, 06:02 PM
True. Could you ever go without steak? Like you'd still eat chicken and fish and things like that, just not steak.

Technically I probably could. But I would rather skip the chicken and fish and eat the steak (grass fed).