PDA

View Full Version : USMC Commandant Says Deploying Troops to the Border Poses ‘Unacceptable Risk'

alexa
03-21-2019, 04:32 PM
The commandant of the Marines has warned the Pentagon that deployments to the southwest border and funding transfers under the president’s emergency declaration, among other unexpected demands, have posed “unacceptable risk to Marine Corps combat readiness and solvency.”

In two internal memos, Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller said the “unplanned/unbudgeted” deployment along the border that President Trump ordered last fall, and shifts of other funds to support border security, had forced him to cancel or reduce planned military training in at least five countries, and delay urgent repairs at bases.

The Times obtained copies of the memos (https://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-marine-corps-commandant-memos-20190321-story.html), dated March 18 and March 19.

https://ktla.com/2019/03/21/commandant-of-the-marines-says-deploying-troops-to-the-border-poses-unacceptable-risk/

Peter1469
03-21-2019, 04:44 PM
https://ktla.com/2019/03/21/commandant-of-the-marines-says-deploying-troops-to-the-border-poses-unacceptable-risk/
It certainly is not a USMC mission. More of an Army thing. And the money transferred from the military is from the US Army Corps of Engineers, not the Marines.

alexa
03-21-2019, 04:51 PM
It certainly is not a USMC mission. More of an Army thing. And the money transferred from the military is from the US Army Corps of Engineers, not the Marines.

The Commandant is pretty clear that he's hamstrung by a lack of funding according to the memoranda.

He's also reasonably clear as to what the causes of the lack are.

Peter1469
03-21-2019, 04:54 PM
The Commandant is pretty clear that he's hamstrung by a lack of funding according to the memoranda.

I bet the memo was written when the DoD was looking for funds to shift. The authorities used by the president specifically draw from previously appropriated USCOE funds.

Nothing will come from the Marines.

roadmaster
03-21-2019, 04:54 PM
I watch live stream at the border by the ones I follow. The right is fooling themselves that these people are not just getting in, 400 just yesterday in one state. With no ankle monitors. Until Congress does something it won't end. You can put the troops at the border but it won't change things. They have to let them go if they claim family. Our facilities are full and thousands have been let go just this month.

alexa
03-21-2019, 04:57 PM
I bet the memo was written when the DoD was looking for funds to shift. The authorities used by the president specifically draw from previously appropriated USCOE funds.

Nothing will come from the Marines.
The memo was written Monday.

Don29palms
03-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Might be time for the general to be retired

Cletus
03-21-2019, 05:16 PM

If he believes that, he needs to do a better job of managing his resources.

Peter1469
03-21-2019, 05:19 PM
The memo was written Monday.

I imagine a data call went out to each of the services asking what they could cough up. This letter resulted. And he is right.

This requirement has nothing to do with the Marine Corps.

None of the money from the national emergency declaration comes from any part of DoD other than the USACE.

Sergeant Gleed
03-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Exactly. No beachhead to establish on the border with mexico. Clearly an Army task and the green prima donnas can stay in Afghanistan if that's what they want.