PDA

View Full Version : Taxes: The Basis For Grumpiness

Taxcutter
02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
At least among the 53%.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/02/04/tarkenton-mickelson-was-right-on-taxes/1881459/

quote:
“Should a private citizen, no matter how successful, really owe the government more than half of what he or she makes?”

Taxcutter says:
The old Beatles song went something like this:
“One for you, nineteen for me…
I’m the Taxman”
And that explains why John Lennon was living in New York rather than Liverpool.

Quote:
“From the payroll tax hike surprise that most workers found in their first paycheck of 2013 to Medicare tax increases to raising top tax rates to nearly 40%, Washington has made life more difficult for most Americans.”

Taxcutter says:
But the 47% make out like fat rats.

Mainecoons
02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
And the One Percent, Obama's biggest winners, make out like bandits.

Just for fun I did some looking up as to how much of their production medieval serfs had to give to the feudal government. Estimates range from 20 to 35 per cent. For that, the serf basically got some security and infrastructure and little else.

Sound familiar?

JackRuby
02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Our politicians have not had the balls to raise taxes for a long time. Raising a country is like owning a home and a family. The cost of functioning goes up with inflation. Because they know they'll be voted out if they raise taxes, they haven't. I still don't know what the Tea Party's big boner is.

But one day the bill comes due for all these wars, inflation, and basically making up for cowardly avoidance since Bush the First said "read my lips" and flipped.

Jack

Peter1469
02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Our politicians have not had the balls to raise taxes for a long time. Raising a country is like owning a home and a family. The cost of functioning goes up with inflation. Because they know they'll be voted out if they raise taxes, they haven't. I still don't know what the Tea Party's big boner is.

But one day the bill comes due for all these wars, inflation, and basically making up for cowardly avoidance since Bush the First said "read my lips" and flipped.

Jack

The US is currently spending ~$1.3T per year over tax revenue. We can't increase taxes that much, it is not possible. Obama's plan would increase only 10% of the shortfall. And that would include eliminating the mortgage interest deduction for all.

The US does not have a tax revenue problem (we take in ~$2.6T per year). We have a spending problem.

JackRuby
02-05-2013, 05:16 PM
The US is currently spending ~$1.3T per year over tax revenue. We can't increase taxes that much, it is not possible. Obama's plan would increase only 10% of the shortfall. And that would include eliminating the mortgage interest deduction for all.

The US does not have a tax revenue problem (we take in ~$2.6T per year). We have a spending problem.

It does have a spending problem and basically alwasy has to one degree or another because these cowards can't tell their buddies who donate to their campaigns "no." I cannot recall the last major tax hike. You cannot tax your way out of debt and you cannot cut your way out of debt alone. And you add to the equation we have had dimwits as congressmen for a long time who are deathly afraid to make a decision. I'm not for more taxes either. But if we're going to be the world's cop, banker, babysitter and all that it takes money. I am starting to think Pat Buchannan had it right back in the 80's. The hell with everyone else and take care of our own.

Jack