PDA

View Full Version : The Last Stop Before Revolution?

Taxcutter
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
A constitutional convention?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/02/04/americans-unhappy-government-convention-column/1887593/

quote:
“…only 22% of likely voters feel America's government has the "consent of the governed," and you've got a pretty depressing picture -- and a recipe for potential trouble. Governments operate, to a degree, by force, but ultimately they depend on legitimacy. A government that a majority views as a threat, and that only a small minority sees as enjoying the consent of the governed, is a government with legitimacy problems.”

“There was a time when there was enough freedom that it hardly mattered which brand of crooks ran government. That has not been true for a long time…”

“The more powerful the government becomes, the more people are willing to do in order to seize the prize, and the more afraid they become when someone else has control.”

“The other option is to place less power within the political sphere. The less power the government has, the less incentive for corruption, and the less that can go wrong when the government misbehaves.”

“…if there's an upside to the increasing unhappiness that most Americans feel toward the political class, it's that maybe it means people are paying closer attention.”

“In the American system, a Constitutional Convention -- which has never been held since the Constitution was adopted -- is the last stop before revolution. It was intended as a way for the people to end-run the political establishment; if enough states request a convention, Congress has no choice but to call it, and the resulting proposals go straight to the states for ratification, bypassing Congress. It's a way to make drastic changes when the political class has blocked smaller ones.”

Cigar
02-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Stop being afraid when someone else has control.

Agravan
02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Stop being afraid when someone else has control.
Your party is in control right now so you see nothing wrong in what is happening in Washington. truth is, this has been coming to a head for years, even before your messiah took office. Right now, though, it is your messiah that is exacerbating the situation and your party that is driving us to our knees with it's idiotic views on spending and taxation. Both partites are to blame, but yours is the one in power at this pont in time. Had the situation be reveresed, you would be the one screaming about an imperial presidency and the usurpation, and misuse, of power. But, as an obama drone, your messiah, and your party, can do no wrong.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Your party is in control right now so you see nothing wrong in what is happening in Washington. truth is, this has been coming to a head for years, even before your messiah took office. Right now, though, it is your messiah that is exacerbating the situation and your party that is driving us to our knees with it's idiotic views on spending and taxation. Both partites are to blame, but yours is the one in power at this pont in time. Had the situation be reveresed, you would be the one screaming about an imperial presidency and the usurpation, and misuse, of power. But, as an obama drone, your messiah, and your party, can do no wrong.

May I suggest a better candidate next election.

lynn
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
There won't be a revolution until a large majority of people are starving and have nothing left to lose and not a second sooner.

Agravan
02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
May I suggest that in addition to the right having a true conservative candidate next time, maybe the left should refrain from counting on voter fraud to steal elections. But we both know that the left will do everything it can to counter any voter id or voter verification that would lead to an honest vote. hey, maybe if you guys actually let our men an women who are serving their country have their votes counted, it would be a step in the right direction. I guarantee, if the military voted majority Democrat, their votes would be counted, but since they tend to be conservative, you need to disenfranchise them.

Agravan
02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
There won't be a revolution until a large majority of people are starving and have nothing left to lose and not a second sooner.
It's coming...

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
It's coming...

Hurry up ... lunch is on it's way.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
May I suggest that in addition to the right having a true conservative candidate next time, maybe the left should refrain from counting on voter fraud to steal elections. But we both know that the left will do everything it can to counter any voter id or voter verification that would lead to an honest vote. hey, maybe if you guys actually let our men an women who are serving their country have their votes counted, it would be a step in the right direction. I guarantee, if the military voted majority Democrat, their votes would be counted, but since they tend to be conservative, you need to disenfranchise them.

Yes ... 1.5 Million Voters illegally voted :roflmao:

Whatever helps you justify getting that ass handed to you ... again. :laugh:

Agravan
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes ... 1.5 Million Voters illegally voted :roflmao:

Whatever helps you justify getting that ass handed to you ... again. :laugh:
This coming from the whiners that cried for 8 years about Bush "stealing" the election in Florida.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
This coming from the whiners that cried for 8 years about Bush "stealing" the election in Florida.

So STFU and take it like Man ... sport or are you whining?

Disco Stu
02-05-2013, 01:00 PM

That is correct

Most Civil Wars breakout in extremely poor countries where people have little more than their lives

This notion of a revolution is a feel good fantasy

Even with the record unemployment the majority of americans are ignorant lazy and comfortable and as long as they got sports American Idol and plenty of junk food they aint gonna do nothing

More likely is a finnancial collapse that results in civil unrest and martial law befor another Revolution

People dont like to hear that but this notion is strictly platitudes & nothing more

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Is it as bad as that for the tired old white men ?
Seems they are down to praying for miracles , I guess . Perhaps they could get God himself to stand next time ?
But that needs another miracle and his son has been on benefits for around two millennia .

bladimz
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
The average angry citizen sees the government as the enemy, so that's what they'll see as their target. But what they'll really be fighting is the Man behind the Curtain: Corporate America. It's that entity that owns our government and controls most legislation through lobbying, etc. It is the rare politician at the higher levels that isn't financially beholden to a certain group for their political position, so they'll do what they're told... not by their constituants, but by their owners.

So make no mistake. When the time comes to charge the gates of the White House, make sure you know who your true enemy is. Corporatism.

Agravan
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
So STFU and take it like Man ... sport or are you whining?

Why so hostile? Did I hit a nerve? Stating a fact is not whining, Goober.

Agravan
02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Is it as bad as that for the tired old white men ?
Seems they are down to praying for miracles , I guess . Perhaps they could get God himself to stand next time ?
But that needs another miracle and his son has been on benefits for around two millennia .

Hey, Eurotrash, I'm not a white man.

Mainecoons
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
The average angry citizen sees the government as the enemy, so that's what they'll see as their target. But what they'll really be fighting is the Man behind the Curtain: Corporate America. It's that entity that owns our government and controls most legislation through lobbying, etc. It is the rare politician at the higher levels that isn't financially beholden to a certain group for their political position, so they'll do what they're told... not by their constituants, but by their owners.

So make no mistake. When the time comes to charge the gates of the White House, make sure you know who your true enemy is. Corporatism.

It's both of them, genius. Two sides of the same coin.

bladimz
02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
It's both of them, genius. Two sides of the same coin. Yes, yes, i know it is, Wonk. I guess i didn't make myself clear enough. The point is, most people don't recognize them as one coin.

JackRuby
02-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Here is the only post in this thread that hits the nail on the head. The rest is simply tail chasing. Our corporate oligarchy is the combo of puppets put in office by national and multi national corporations. Follow the money, honey. The rest is just a futile circle jerk.

Jack

JackRuby
02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Why so hostile? Did I hit a nerve? Stating a fact is not whining, Goober.

Agravan on hostility? The irony is so lost on him. But never mind that because it's award time!

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey, Eurotrash, I'm not a white man.

I am all for equal opportunities but suspect you may have been dealt a bum hand . rofl

Pete7469
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
The isn't going to be a revolution or a change for the better until the democrook party is defeated, and the RINO's join them in a leftwing pity party. Regarding "corporatism", you're somewhat correct. If the government didn't have the power in the first place, there would be nothing worth bribing elected officials for. Take away their power, and you take away the corruption.