PDA

View Full Version : The White South’s Last Big Defeat

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Hysteria, aggression and gerrymandering are a fading demographic's last hope to maintain political control

BY MICHAEL LIND

In understanding the polarization and paralysis that afflict national politics in the United States, it is a mistake to think in terms of left and right. The appropriate directions are North and South. To be specific, the long, drawn-out, agonizing identity crisis of white Southerners is having effects that reverberate throughout our federal union. The transmission mechanism is the Republican Party, an originally Northern party that has now replaced the Southern wing of the Democratic Party as the vehicle for the dwindling white Southern tribe.

As someone whose white Southern ancestors go back to the 17th century in the Chesapeake Bay region, I have some insight into the psychology of the tribe. The salient fact to bear in mind is that the historical experience of the white South in many ways is the opposite of the experience of the rest of the country.

Mainstream American history, from the point of view of the white majority in the Northeast, Midwest and West Coast, is a story of military successes. The British are defeated, ensuring national independence. The Confederates are defeated, ensuring national unity. And in the 20th century the Axis and Soviet empires are defeated, ensuring (it is hoped) a free world.

The white Southern narrative — at least in the dominant Southern conservative version — is one of defeat after defeat. First the attempt of white Southerners to create a new nation in which they can be the majority was defeated by the U.S. Army during the Civil War. Doomed to be a perpetual minority in a continental American nation-state, white Southerners managed for a century to create their own state-within-a-state, in which they could collectively lord it over the other major group in the region, African-Americans. But Southern apartheid was shattered by the second defeat, the Civil Rights revolution, which like the Civil War and Reconstruction was symbolized by the dispatching of federal troops to the South. The American patriotism of the white Southerner is therefore deeply problematic. Some opt for jingoistic hyper-Americanism (the lady protesteth too much, methinks) while a shrinking but significant minority prefer the Stars and Bars to the Stars and Stripes.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/the_white_souths_last_defeat/

It was a good run ... but now it's over.

Mister D
02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Why do you hate whites so much? When they stop paying the bills it's over.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Ignore if you're bored but don't be boorish.

Mister D
02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Ignore if you're bored but don't be boorish.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

No I love Whites ... as a matter of fact, 8 of them owe me money from Sundays Football game.

Mister D
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
No I love Whites ... as a matter of fact, 8 of them owe me money from Sundays Football game.

If you love them so much why are you constantly attacking them?

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Why do they keep pinching all of my material ?
Perhaps because we can read .

Cigar
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
If you love them so much why are you constantly attacking them?

Where do you see me attacking anyone?

I didn't write this story ... I'm guessing it was a White person.

Mister D
02-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Where do you see me attacking anyone?

I didn't write this story ... I'm guessing it was a White person.

You posted it. You are such a coward when it comes to taking responsibility for what you post here.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
You posted it. You are such a coward when it comes to taking responsibility for what you post here.

Is it bothering you .. ?

Mister D
02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Is it bothering you .. ?

No. I already know you usually aren't able to muster the balls to defend what you post. No worries.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
No. I already know you usually aren't able to muster the balls to defend what you post. No worries.

Why do I need to defend something someone else did ... ?

Mister D
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Why do I need to defend something someone else did ... ?

No worries. We know you're a bitch.

Cigar
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM

When in doubt ... name-call Forum Members

Thanks for playing

Mister D
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
When in doubt ... name-call Forum Members

Thanks for playing

I'm not in doubt. Your cowardice is well known.

Bigred1cav
02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Any truth or evidence bothers the right wing. Truth is an enemy and they have no defense to the lies told by fox and hate radio nor the ridiculous blogs they cite .

Mister D
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Any truth or evidence bothers the right wing. Truth is an enemy and they have no defense to the lies told by fox and hate radio nor the ridiculous blogs they cite .

Red was shot on the head in Vietnam. He's been a commie ever since.

patrickt
02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
For Cigar, everything is about race. Liberals are racists.

Carygrant
02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Is it bothering you .. ?

Old people hate even the smallest changes .That's why he retreats into History when the present muddles him .

JackRuby
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM

What's wrong Mr D-minus, get up on the wrong side of the gutter today?

Jack

GrumpyDog
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I guess all those white southerners, who died fighting in the War of Independence, WW1 and WW2, should be stricken from the history books, and their graves removed from Arlington Cemetary.

I suppose that Cigar thinks that southerners who fought for the Confederacy, were motivated because they were all pro slavery.That premise is FALSE, because 80% of farms in the old South, were family owned farms, WITHOUT SLAVES. THOSE young farmers, went to fight, because of tariffs (ie. Taxation) that NORTHEASTERN INDUSTRIALIST CRONY CAPITALIST ARISTOCRATS were able to enact, using CONGRESS. Tariffs as high as 40% which EACH family farm must pay on ANY trade with England. The Tariff of Abomination, 1828 was the beginning of the Civil War.

Let us hope that there will not be any Tariffs of Obamanation in the near future, such as a tariff on buying Chinese made solar panels... oh wait, THAT ONE IS ALREADY enacted. Or tarriff on the 2nd Amendment... oh wait.. THAT ONE is pending. Or increasing the tarriff on gasoline purchase.. Oh wait... THAT one is pending also. Or tarriff on the 4th amendment.. oh wait.. NDAA 2012, where once the illegal search of your car at an illegal checkpoint, may find a 12 round magazine, which will then reclassify you as a terrorist, with no Constitutional rights whatsoever.

Looks like Southern Americans, will once again, have to die fighting for basic rights guaranteed by the Constitution.