PDA

View Full Version : More than 1 million acres of U.S. cropland ravaged by floods

Peter1469
03-31-2019, 06:12 AM
More than 1 million acres of U.S. cropland ravaged by floods (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exclusive-more-than-1-million-acres-of-us-cropland-ravaged-by-floods/ar-BBVoRKX)

Expect spikes in food prices. Our food belt took a big hit with the recent 'bomb cyclone'. I expect that will result in starvation abroad as the remainder of the US food crops stay inside the US rather than be exported.

At least 1 million acres (405,000 hectares) of U.S. farmland were flooded after the "bomb cyclone" storm left wide swaths of nine major grain producing states under water this month, satellite data analyzed by Gro Intelligence for Reuters showed.

Farms from the Dakotas to Missouri and beyond have been under water for a week or more, possibly impeding planting and damaging soil. The floods, which came just weeks before planting season starts in the Midwest, will likely reduce corn, wheat and soy production this year.

"There's thousands of acres that won't be able to be planted," Ryan Sonderup, 36, of Fullerton, Nebraska, who has been farming for 18 years, said in a recent interview.

"If we had straight sunshine now until May and June, maybe it can be done, but I don't see how that soil gets back with expected rainfall."

Spring floods could yet impact an even bigger area of cropland. The U.S. government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has warned of what could be an "unprecedented flood season" as it forecasts heavy spring rains. Rivers may swell further as a deep snow pack in northern growing areas melts.

The bomb cyclone of mid-March was the latest blow to farmers suffering from years of falling income and lower exports because of the U.S.-China trade war.

Fields are strewn with everything from silt and sand to tires and some may not even be farmed this year. The water has also destroyed billions of dollars of old crops that were in storage, as well as damaging roads and railways.

Justin Mensik, a fifth-generation farmer of corn and soybeans in Morse Bluff, Nebraska, said rebuilding roads was the first priority. Then farmers would need to bring in fertilizer trucks and then test soil before seeding, Mensik said.

Read the rest of the article at the link.

FindersKeepers
03-31-2019, 07:23 AM
Nebraska got hit so hard. Many highways washed out, as you note, cropland flooded. A local group (Kansas) helped arrange for volunteers to go help rescue animals, both domestic and livestock. Incredibly sad.

And, down here, we didn't get the flooding but we had a very wet late fall and around a full third of our wheat fields didn't get planted before it got too cold, so we're not going to be producing bumper crops this year either.

MMC
03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Led Zeppelin warned them back in the 60's. Said.....If it keeps on raining Levee going to break.

Luther
03-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Don't worry, The Fed Gov is on their way with $Money$ they really don't have.

MMC
03-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Don't worry, The Fed Gov is on their way with $Money$ they really don't have.

There is some good news tho…..when it comes time to replant and plant crops there will be less fuck ups. Due to most of those states not being controlled by Democrats. So cost won't be as much as those fuck ups would increase it.

Ya gotta look for the good in the bad. :wink: But never when just looking at Democrats and leftists. Just sayin. :rulez:

MisterVeritis
03-31-2019, 11:43 AM
This is not a big deal. I get all my food from local grocery stores, anyway.

:wink:

Peter1469
03-31-2019, 11:55 AM

Do your local grocery store source locally?

My farmers market does.

Captdon
03-31-2019, 11:58 AM
The source may not matter. The going price might be controlling more than it should.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2019, 12:10 PM

I suspect some won’t be able to detect sarcasm.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2019, 12:11 PM
We have plenty of farmlands which are uneffected.

Peter1469
03-31-2019, 12:18 PM
The source may not matter. The going price might be controlling more than it should.

The general market price will go up since supply took a huge hit.

I buy from specific local sources that were not affected by the storms. They are always high on the price end, and should not increase because of this event.

testsubjectalpha
03-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Floods are nothing new. This year it's the Missouri river. A decade or two ago it was the Mississippi. Guess what, rivers flood. DON'T BUY PROPERTY IN A FLOOD ZONE.

More than 1 million acres of U.S. cropland ravaged by floods (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exclusive-more-than-1-million-acres-of-us-cropland-ravaged-by-floods/ar-BBVoRKX)

Expect spikes in food prices. Our food belt took a big hit with the recent 'bomb cyclone'. I expect that will result in starvation abroad as the remainder of the US food crops stay inside the US rather than be exported.

Read the rest of the article at the link.

Admiral Ackbar
03-31-2019, 01:00 PM
I find it oddly interesting that this thread posted the same day we have a thread posted about removal of the Thomas Jefferson statue at Hofstra.

How are they related? Well the area in question was part of the Louisiana Purchase. That land and the waterways that overlay it are the most valuable piece of real estate in the world. The fact we produce so much agriculture in this area and at such surplus that we really do feed the world makes it so. Mr. Jefferson knew the potential of this land and was able to secure it with out a war. Napoleon and the French were not so far sighted.

This thread began by citing the risk of starvation in the world due to events in the Louisiana Purchase territory.

Mr. Jefferson's brilliance vindicated once again

God Bless America, God Bless Donald Trump and God Bless old TJ!

MisterVeritis
03-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Do your local grocery store source locally?

My farmers market does.
LOL. That was not the point.