PDA

View Full Version : Pope Francis takes thinly veiled swipe at Trump, calls out leaders who want walls

Cannons Front
04-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Pope Francis (https://www.foxnews.com/world/pope-vows-to-confront-sex-abusers-predators-with-wrath-of-god) on Sunday called out political leaders intent on building walls in their country and warned that they will "end up becoming prisoners of the walls they build."

The pope made the comment while aboard the papal plane while he returned to Italy from a trip to Morocco, according (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-border-pope/pope-criticizes-building-walls-to-keep-migrants-out-idUSKCN1RC0UO) to Reuters."Builders of walls, be they made of razor wire or bricks, will end up becoming prisoners of the walls they build," he said. Francis continued, "I realize that with this problem (of migration), a government has a hot potato in its hands, but it must be resolved differently, humanely, not with razor wire."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pope-francis-takes-thinly-veiled-swipe-at-trump-calls-out-leaders-who-want-walls

Awesome comments from a man who lives in a walled city, I have not seen where the pope has decided to tear down the walls that surround the Vatican. So I guess his walls are ok, but no other walls are..... Odd.

MMC
04-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Pope Francis (https://www.foxnews.com/world/pope-vows-to-confront-sex-abusers-predators-with-wrath-of-god) on Sunday called out political leaders intent on building walls in their country and warned that they will "end up becoming prisoners of the walls they build."

The pope made the comment while aboard the papal plane while he returned to Italy from a trip to Morocco, according (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-border-pope/pope-criticizes-building-walls-to-keep-migrants-out-idUSKCN1RC0UO) to Reuters."Builders of walls, be they made of razor wire or bricks, will end up becoming prisoners of the walls they build," he said. Francis continued, "I realize that with this problem (of migration), a government has a hot potato in its hands, but it must be resolved differently, humanely, not with razor wire."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pope-francis-takes-thinly-veiled-swipe-at-trump-calls-out-leaders-who-want-walls

Awesome comments from a man who lives in a walled city, I have not seen where the pope has decided to tear down the walls that surround the Vatican. So I guess his walls are ok, but no other walls are..... Odd.

I would have asked him if he was speaking from experience as a prisoner behind the Vaticans Wall.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 07:28 AM
The Pope has a different objective and comes from a different perspective.

countryboy
04-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Meanwhile, at Vatican City.....

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/3d/51/a9/vatican-city-the-outside.jpg

Ransom
04-01-2019, 07:43 AM
A yuge defender of Catholicism. A Pope Francis fan as well. He needs to stay in his lane on this one. Maybe focus on the millions of Catholics mired in these nations everyone wants to flee as corruption and violence dominate their governments.

The Catholic Church as well......has built walls throughout its' history...including walls to keep secrets from their Parishes including the number of homosexual and pedophile priesthoods.

Maybe make an effort to go after the younger people, be fishers of boys and girls. Get the youngsters out of their f'n cell phones. Teach them about Jesus' life, how God has given gifts they all today take for granted. For the agnostics or haters of Catholicism.....perhaps teach them that human rights really begins with religion, how our very western cultures were indeed saved by religions several times over. History can read like an adventure novel, sadly and perhaps best exampled by this forum, most Americans are ignorant to it.

Ransom
04-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Reminds me of the numerous gated community liberals like Clinton, Obama, Schumer, and Pelosi calling walls immoral.

Glass house life with a pile of stones in the yard for throwing at other houses.

MMC
04-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Walls aren't bad.....and anyone that has an ID that says they are Humpty Dumpty, we need a full background check. Just sayin. :grin:

alexa
04-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Yeah, he thinks acting morally is important.

What a whack job.

Ransom
04-01-2019, 08:33 AM

What a whack job.

Most of your pro-abortion friends think that?

F'n...oops

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 09:01 AM

The Pope claims from Vatican City, which is surrounded by 30-foot walls. :grin:

Sergeant Gleed
04-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Nobody cares what the fascist pope has to say.

How about if Trump goes to the Vatican and says "Mr. Pope, tear down this wall!"

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:19 AM
I believe he is a Marxist idiot. He is dangerous to free people everywhere.

Fortunately, I have no strong opinion.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:20 AM
A yuge defender of Catholicism. A Pope Francis fan as well. He needs to stay in his lane on this one. Maybe focus on the millions of Catholics mired in these nations everyone wants to flee as corruption and violence dominate their governments.

The Catholic Church as well......has built walls throughout its' history...including walls to keep secrets from their Parishes including the number of homosexual and pedophile priesthoods.

Maybe make an effort to go after the younger people, be fishers of boys and girls. Get the youngsters out of their f'n cell phones. Teach them about Jesus' life, how God has given gifts they all today take for granted. For the agnostics or haters of Catholicism.....perhaps teach them that human rights really begins with religion, how our very western cultures were indeed saved by religions several times over. History can read like an adventure novel, sadly and perhaps best exampled by this forum, most Americans are ignorant to it.
Francis needs to stop.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:21 AM

What a whack job.
Francis is not moral.

alexa
04-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Most of your pro-abortion friends think that?

F'n...oops

Most of my friends, pro and anti-abortion, aren't the pope, Snap On.

alexa
04-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Which were built in the 9th century and added to in the 15th.

Try not to be stupid. :)

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Why hasn't Fran torn down his immoral walls?

alexa
04-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Francis is not moral.
Somehow, your pronouncement on the Pope's morality, combined with your stated desire to kill anyone who disagrees with you, just doesn't move the needle.

Go figure.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Francis is not moral.

Somehow, your pronouncement on the Pope's morality, combined with your stated desire to kill anyone who disagrees with you, just doesn't move the needle.

Go figure.
Whether I desire to kill anyone I disagree with (I don't) or not is not relevant to my statement that Fran is not moral.
Once again, you err. You often do.

Go figure.

The Xl
04-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Cool, as long as the Catholic church foots the bill.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 11:45 AM

What a whack job.

Uh huh....uh huh..... because molesting boys, is so very moral.

The Catholic Church has been protecting pedophyles for decades.

So very moral....

alexa
04-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Uh huh....uh huh..... because molesting boys, is so very moral.

The Catholic Church has been protecting pedophyles for decades.

So very moral....

Francis hasn't been pope for decades.

Swing harder.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:49 AM

Swing harder.
How long has Fran been part of the church?

alexa
04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Since birth or shortly thereafter.

Did you think you had a point?

You must be disappointed.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Since birth or shortly thereafter.

Did you think you had a point?

You must be disappointed.
So Fran is not new to the church? Hmm. And the church has been covering up its pedophile priests for decades?

Of course, I had a point. Fran is not a moral person. Fran should focus on his own problems. Fran should tear down his wall. Don't you agree?

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 12:09 PM

And, haven't been torn down, nor have accesses been created from which people can enter in those spots. To enter the City, one must travel all the way around and then they may access through a single gate -- AND -- through a metal detector.

Those who do not pass muster may not enter.

Good idea!

You first.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Uh huh....uh huh..... because molesting boys, is so very moral. The Catholic Church has been protecting pedophyles for decades. So very moral....

The Church has worked hard on rooting out the evil of the pedophiles. We have some work to do. We won't quit.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Exactly..... Pope, or not, still an intregal part of the church.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Swing harder.

How long as he been an intregal part of the church?

How long has he been complicit in the cover up?

Next time, as least get the bat off your shoulder.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 12:59 PM
How long as he been an intregal part of the church? How long has he been complicit in the cover up? Next time, as least get the bat off your shoulder.

Abby, I'm not aware that Francis has been complicit in the coverups. I know that he's moved to root out more of the pedophiles. Remember, Abby, that these abuse claims are from decades ago. The Church has done a much better job in the past 40+ years in screening priests. We won't quit til we root them all out.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Abby, I'm not aware that Francis has been complicit in the coverups. I know that he's moved to root out more of the pedophiles. Remember, Abby, that these abuse claims are from decades ago. The Church has done a much better job in the past 40+ years in screening priests. We won't quit til we root them all out.

No one is aware of whether he was or, he wasn't, but, just being a prominent figure within the Catholic Church, leads me to believe, he knew and, went along with the cover up.

I'm glad they're rooting out the pedophiles....I'm sure it means a lot to the victims, too.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 01:16 PM
No one is aware of whether he was or, he wasn't, but, just being a prominent figure within the Catholic Church, leads me to believe, he knew and, went along with the cover up. I'm glad they're rooting out the pedophiles....I'm sure it means a lot to the victims, too.

I've been Roman Catholic my entire life and I didn't know anything about it until I was over 35.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 01:29 PM
I've been Roman Catholic my entire life and I didn't know anything about it until I was over 35.

Do you hold a major position within the Catholic Church?

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Do you hold a major position within the Catholic Church?

Not unless you consider Altar Boy a "major position". I don't think that Francis held a "major position" until recently. He became Archibishop of Buenos Aires in 98 and a Cardinal in 01. I think becoming a Cardinal made him a "major position" holder. 12 years later he became Pope. Just so you know, I'm not a Francis fan on a lot of things. A lot of traditional things he supports, as do I -- traditional Church teachings on abortion, clerical celibacy, etc.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Not unless you consider Altar Boy a "major position". I don't think that Francis held a "major position" until recently. He became Archibishop of Buenos Aires in 98 and a Cardinal in 01. I think becoming a Cardinal made him a "major position" holder. 12 years later he became Pope. Just so you know, I'm not a Francis fan on a lot of things. A lot of traditional things he supports, as do I -- traditional Church teachings on abortion, clerical celibacy, etc.

Archbishop and Cardinal, I do consider, "major" positions....altar boy, no, so yeah, he could have been part of the cover up....anyway, that being said, it's out in the open now and, being addressed.

(I'm a "fallen" Catholic.)

alexa
04-01-2019, 02:11 PM
The Church has worked hard on rooting out the evil of the pedophiles. We have some work to do. We won't quit.
No it hasn't.

They've known about it for decades and did nothing except move the criminal priests around to new parishes and new victims.

If the press that your ilk vilifies hadn't stuck to their guns reporting this, nothing would have changed. Not a thing.

alexa
04-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Clerical celibacy is what led to the pedophile priests.

There is no liturgical reason for clerical celibacy.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 02:27 PM
No it hasn't. They've known about it for decades and did nothing except move the criminal priests around to new parishes and new victims.

You are wrong. Since 1996, when I got involved we've worked very hard, the Church has changed its protocol. In the late 70's early 80's the Church changed the screening process for new priests. We've forced the pedophiles out, are holding the hierarchy accountable. It's a slow grueling process but it's working.

If the press that your ilk vilifies hadn't stuck to their guns reporting this, nothing would have changed. Not a thing.

You are wrong. Lawsuits changed it first. Lawyers. Thank you. I don't vilify the press. I am saddened by the fake press - the press that make it up. A free, unbiased, skeptical press is necessary for the preservation of our freedoms. A press that forces the government to prove its legitimacy every day. Not one that cheerleads for one side.

Clerical celibacy is what led to the pedophile priests. There is no liturgical reason for clerical celibacy.

No, not according to the research that I've read. I've defended many churches - Catholic and non-Catholic. The incidents of clergy abuse are at the same rate in other faiths as in the Catholic Church. Celibacy and pedophilia are unrelated. Homosexuality and pedophilia are unrelated. Pedophilia is related to pedophilia.

The clerical reason for celibacy is stated in the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 19. “Some men are incapable of sexual activity from birth; some have been deliberately made so; and some there are who have freely renounced sex for the sake of God’s reign.” The Catechism (#1579)– points to this “free renunciation of sex for the sake of God’s reign” as a basis for celibacy. You are free to reject it as those that practice it are free to accept it.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Archbishop and Cardinal, I do consider, "major" positions....altar boy, no, so yeah, he could have been part of the cover up....anyway, that being said, it's out in the open now and, being addressed. (I'm a "fallen" Catholic.)

I don't consider Archbishop as a "major" position. Having "fallen" perhaps one day you will get up. We will welcome you with open arms.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 02:37 PM
I don't consider Archbishop as a "major" position. Having "fallen" perhaps one day you will get up. We will welcome you with open arms.

Naw....too late. My own church wouldn't allow me to get married there, because my husband to be, wasn't Catholic....my mom's friends from the church, a church she'd attended faithfully, her entire life, didn't even bother visiting her in the hospital when she was very I'll.... some friends she'd made in her neighhood, who happened to be Baptist.....did.

I guess I left, rather than, fell.... after that....as did my mom.

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Clerical celibacy is what led to the pedophile priests.

There is no liturgical reason for clerical celibacy.

Celibacy does not a pedophile make.

Try again.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Naw....too late. My own church wouldn't allow me to get married there, because my husband to be, wasn't Catholic....my mom's friends from the church, a church she'd attended faithfully, her entire life, didn't even bother visiting her in the hospital when she was very I'll.... some friends she'd made in her neighhood, who happened to be Baptist.....did. I guess I left, rather than, fell.... after that.

I hope you are happy. That's all that really matters. It's all essentially the same, just a matter of procedural differences.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
I hope you are happy. That's all that really matters. It's all essentially the same, just a matter of procedural differences.

I am happy, I believe, in my own way, I don't need organized religion.

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 02:56 PM

To each their own. I find solace in the fact that my grandparents, my parents and myself all have worshipped the same way - it ties me in a way to them. I find solace in the fact that 1.4 billion of us worldwide worship weekly in the same fashion, albeit hundreds of different languages. I find comfort in the traditions. I find peace in the rituals. I love the Mass and miss it when I can't go.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Try again.

If that was the case, why don't they go after women, instead of young boys?

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Abby, they did.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:38 PM
To each their own. I find solace in the fact that my grandparents, my parents and myself all have worshipped the same way - it ties me in a way to them. I find solace in the fact that 1.4 billion of us worldwide worship weekly in the same fashion, albeit hundreds of different languages. I find comfort in the traditions. I find peace in the rituals. I love the Mass and miss it when I can't go.

That's fine, no arguments from me, on that.

My family was the same way, great grandparents, grandparents, mother, we children, all went to mass every Sunday, then over to Gramm's house afterwards for Sunday dinner.

You're right, it was nice, but, things happen.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Abby, they did.

Oh, didn't know that....nuns??!

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Did you really mean to ask that question?

You realize little girls were molested too, don't you?

Pedophiles exist in all walks of society. While experts think some Catholic pedophiles sought out the clergy hoping the Church would protect them, there's no indication that celibacy led to the molestation of children.

Keep in mind that clergy from MANY churches, not just Catholic, have molested children they were supposed to be ministering to, and you'll see that celibacy is not a requirement.

Then, look at coaches, school teachers, babysitters, uncles, and what do you find they all have in common?

They're viewed as an "authority figure" by the child. They abuse that authority, but, again, celibacy has nothing to do with it.

alexa
04-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Try again.

I guess it was coincidence.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Did you really mean to ask that question?

You realize little girls were molested too, don't you?

Pedophiles exist in all walks of society. While experts think some Catholic pedophiles sought out the clergy hoping the Church would protect them, there's no indication that celibacy led to the molestation of children.

Keep in mind that clergy from MANY churches, not just Catholic, have molested children they were supposed to be ministering to, and you'll see that celibacy is not a requirement.

Then, look at coaches, school teachers, babysitters, uncles, and what do you find they all have in common?

They're viewed as an "authority figure" by the child. They abuse that authority, but, again, celibacy has nothing to do with it.

No, I did not know and, yes, I did mean to ask that question.

Mister D
04-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Because a majority of these predators are homosexual and a majority of the victims are post pubescent males and young men. They prey on males because...they're gay.

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 03:47 PM

I don't need it either, but I don't think it's productive to attack something that's a choice -- something that gives others comfort and does not harm you. It's especially not productive to attack it falsely.

If celibacy led to pedophilia, why don't we hear of Buddhists Monks molesting kids?

Pedophilia is a much more deep-seated mental illness than can be explained away as being caused by celibacy. Many people choose voluntarily to be celibate, that doesn't mean they turn into pedophiles.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Pedophilia is a sickness, a severe mental defect.

Celibacy, doesn't cause it.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:49 PM
I don't need it either, but I don't think it's productive to attack something that's a choice -- something that gives others comfort and does not harm you. It's especially not productive to attack it falsely.

If celibacy led to pedophilia, why don't we hear of Buddhists Monks molesting kids?

Pedophilia is a much more deep-seated mental illness than can be explained away as being caused by celibacy. Many people choose voluntarily to be celibate, that doesn't mean they turn into pedophiles.

Did I attack it?

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Coincidence has nothing to do with it either.

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Did I attack it?

Yes. I believe you did. I just don't know if it was intentional or the result of you having received bad information.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Yes. I believe you did. I just don't know if it was intentional or the result of you having received bad information.

What, bad information, would that be? I relayed a couple of my own personal experiences with the Catholic Church... that isn't, attacking.

Mini Me
04-01-2019, 04:17 PM
because a majority of these predators are homosexual and a majority of the victims are post pubescent males and young men. They prey on males because...they're gay.
bingo!

DGUtley
04-01-2019, 04:37 PM
I don't know that a majority of victims were boys. I suspect that they were, I am not sure. To be sure, though, the pedophiles hid in the Church. Evil infected the Church. It wasn't the only Church it infected but it was the largest Church that it infected. We must finish rooting them out and satisfy the judgments and settle with the victims. We'll be a smaller but stronger Church.

Common
04-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Very Unpopular Pope, hes driven many from practicing catholicism

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 05:24 PM
What, bad information, would that be? I relayed a couple of my own personal experiences with the Catholic Church... that isn't, attacking.

Totally, 100% my bad. I read a post of Alexa's and mistakenly thought it was yours after we chatted about the celibacy thing. So sorry. You only relayed your story. I was wrong and I apologize. Serves me right for sneaking over to the board when I'm supposed to be working.

Abby08
04-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Totally, 100% my bad. I read a post of Alexa's and mistakenly thought it was yours after we chatted about the celibacy thing. So sorry. You only relayed your story. I was wrong and I apologize. Serves me right for sneaking over to the board when I'm supposed to be working.

It's ok, I've done the same thing, myself.

FindersKeepers
04-01-2019, 05:42 PM
It's ok, I've done the same thing, myself.

Thank you for being so gracious.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Back to the thread. Fran is not a moral man.

Fran should not be hiding behind his walls. He should tear them down.

Mister D
04-01-2019, 08:22 PM
I don't know that a majority of victims were boys. I suspect that they were, I am not sure. To be sure, though, the pedophiles hid in the Church. Evil infected the Church. It wasn't the only Church it infected but it was the largest Church that it infected. We must finish rooting them out and satisfy the judgments and settle with the victims. We'll be a smaller but stronger Church.

The Church has a far greater problem with predatory homosexual priests than it does with pedophiles. Some of the claims of sexual harassment and abuse come from seminaries. We're talking about adult males. The Church has a problem admitting this because elements of the hierarchy (homosexual as well?) have been gradually softening the Church's position on this particular perversion.

That said, I agree. This is not the first time evil has crept into the Church. It must be dealt with and sternly.

Mister D
04-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Back to the thread. Fran is not a moral man.

Fran should not be hiding behind his walls. He should tear them down.

Pope Francis is wrong and I suspect he is driven to some extent by a deep seated dislike for the European world. He risks a major rift in this respect.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Pope Francis is wrong and I suspect he is driven to some extent by a deep seated dislike for the European world. He risks a major rift in this respect.
Normal people do not like him.

Cthulhu
04-01-2019, 08:32 PM
I don't know that a majority of victims were boys. I suspect that they were, I am not sure. To be sure, though, the pedophiles hid in the Church. Evil infected the Church. It wasn't the only Church it infected but it was the largest Church that it infected. We must finish rooting them out and satisfy the judgments and settle with the victims. We'll be a smaller but stronger Church.This will be the path of many faiths I suspect.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Mister D
04-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Normal people do not like him.

That's because he seems oblivious to the political and social consequences of his position on migration. It is precisely these that make his position immoral and, quite frankly, stupid.

Private Pickle
04-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Disingenuous comparisons are disingenuous. You're talking about 110 acres of land with a population of 800. And the walls which were built to keep out pirates were built in 900 AD...

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe the walls around the Vatican today keep anyone out or in?

It's this type of obfuscation that is not only divisive but just so happens to be completely retarded.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Disingenuous comparisons are disingenuous. You're talking about 110 acres of land with a population of 800. And the walls which were built to keep out pirates were built in 900 AD...

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe the walls around the Vatican today keep anyone out or in?

It's this type of obfuscation that is not only divisive but just so happens to be completely retarded.
Then tear down the walls Fran.

Peter1469
04-02-2019, 04:36 AM
Why hasn't Fran torn down his immoral walls?
Because they do an excellent job in funneling tourists first into the Vatican for paid tours, and then out again when the tour is over.

Yes, visitors to the Vatican must leave- they can't stay. What a concept.

Peter1469
04-02-2019, 04:44 AM
And, haven't been torn down, nor have accesses been created from which people can enter in those spots. To enter the City, one must travel all the way around and then they may access through a single gate -- AND -- through a metal detector.

Those who do not pass muster may not enter.

Good idea!

You first.

And they must leave several hours later.

Peter1469
04-02-2019, 04:49 AM
Pedophilia is a sickness, a severe mental defect.

Celibacy, doesn't cause it.
Had the the Church allowed married men to be priests the homo / pedo priests would have been denounced sooner. And likely physically attacked to protect the victims.

Private Pickle
04-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Then tear down the walls Fran.
You want to tear down a historical landmark why again?

MisterVeritis
04-02-2019, 10:25 AM
You want to tear down a historical landmark why again?
Fran claims walls are immoral. Fran hypocritically wants other nations to do without walls. Fran lives surrounded by high walls. Fran failed to keep his mouth shut. Tear down your walls, Fran.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 10:58 AM

Worst Pope in my lifetime. He is, franky, idiotic.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 10:59 AM

He should stick to God and leave me alone. I didn't vote for him and he should mind his own business.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:01 AM

What a whack job.

He hid the pedophilia until the Church was caught. Great moral example.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Go figure.

I don't want to kill anyone and this Pope should resign.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Swing harder.

He was a Cardinal,Bishop and priest and knew about the pedophilia and didn't say a word. Yea, morality won.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:07 AM

That's true but has nothing to do with Pope Francis being another "justice warrior."

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:09 AM

He's been a priest longer than the charges we know about.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:11 AM

I have been a Catholic all my life and didn't know anything about it until I was 35 as well. The Church, including all the Popes in my life, hid it.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Archbishop and Cardinal, I do consider, "major" positions....altar boy, no, so yeah, he could have been part of the cover up....anyway, that being said, it's out in the open now and, being addressed.

(I'm a "fallen" Catholic.)

We can't pretend that a lot of priests knew about it and either didn't report it or were ignored. There simply is no excuse for what I think has been hundreds of years of this. I don't believe this a modern thing,

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
No it hasn't.

They've known about it for decades and did nothing except move the criminal priests around to new parishes and new victims.

The Church has been rooting this of late. You don't know what you're talking about. It was the parishioners who held their money back that got the problem investigated. It is a shameful thing but none of your business.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:25 AM
You are wrong. Since 1996, when I got involved we've worked very hard, the Church has changed its protocol. In the late 70's early 80's the Church changed the screening process for new priests. We've forced the pedophiles out, are holding the hierarchy accountable. It's a slow grueling process but it's working.

You are wrong. Lawsuits changed it first. Lawyers. Thank you. I don't vilify the press. I am saddened by the fake press - the press that make it up. A free, unbiased, skeptical press is necessary for the preservation of our freedoms. A press that forces the government to prove its legitimacy every day. Not one that cheerleads for one side.

No, not according to the research that I've read. I've defended many churches - Catholic and non-Catholic. The incidents of clergy abuse are at the same rate in other faiths as in the Catholic Church. Celibacy and pedophilia are unrelated. Homosexuality and pedophilia are unrelated. Pedophilia is related to pedophilia.

The clerical reason for celibacy is stated in the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 19. “Some men are incapable of sexual activity from birth; some have been deliberately made so; and some there are who have freely renounced sex for the sake of God’s reign.” The Catechism (#1579)– points to this “free renunciation of sex for the sake of God’s reign” as a basis for celibacy. You are free to reject it as those that practice it are free to accept it.

Celibacy wasn't adopted until 1139. The rule was adopted to prevent priests from passing the parisheds to their sons. That was ab accepted practice then. I have always thought it was stupid. The scripture you quote says some, not all.

I'm done. I don't want to discuss religion except for the Pope being the worst of my life. He's a busybody.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:30 AM
Naw....too late. My own church wouldn't allow me to get married there, because my husband to be, wasn't Catholic....my mom's friends from the church, a church she'd attended faithfully, her entire life, didn't even bother visiting her in the hospital when she was very I'll.... some friends she'd made in her neighhood, who happened to be Baptist.....did.

I guess I left, rather than, fell.... after that....as did my mom.

Bunk. My sister married a non-Catholic in the church in 1952. My father married my Methodist mother in the parish house in 1933. You must be really old.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Oh, didn't know that....nuns??!

Parishioners. Poor joke noted.

Abby08
04-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Bunk. My sister married a non-Catholic in the church in 1952. My father married my Methodist mother in the parish house in 1933. You must be really old.

I got married in 1974.....my mom got married in the 50's and, they wouldn't marry her, either, because my dad wasn't Catholic......so, bunk, to you.

It doesn't really matter, if you don't believe it, because, "it didn't happen like that," for people whom you know......it happened to me....and, my mom.

Abby08
04-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Parishioners. Poor joke noted.

What, poor joke? I was serious....were nuns sexually assaulted by priests?

Legitimate question.

Private Pickle
04-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Fran claims walls are immoral. Fran hypocritically wants other nations to do without walls. Fran lives surrounded by high walls. Fran failed to keep his mouth shut. Tear down your walls, Fran.
LOL ok...

Abby08
04-02-2019, 02:33 PM
LOL ok...

What's funny about it? The Pope says those things, while protected behind a huge ass wall.

Tahuyaman
04-02-2019, 03:00 PM

But that’s different.

I know many catholics. Most of them have told me that they are staying away from the church until the current pope is gone.

Captdon
04-02-2019, 05:29 PM
I got married in 1974.....my mom got married in the 50's and, they wouldn't marry her, either, because my dad wasn't Catholic......so, bunk, to you.

It doesn't really matter, if you don't believe it, because, "it didn't happen like that," for people whom you know......it happened to me....and, my mom.

You are lying. The Church doesn't have two sets of rules. My sister and father were married within the church a long time ago. That's why I wrote it. Sort of hard to argue the truth. My siblings were at the wedding of their sister at the church.It didn't happen to anyone unless you and your mother were marrying divorced people. That's a valid reason. If so. you still lied by not saying the real reason.

Adelaide
04-02-2019, 10:42 PM
You are lying. The Church doesn't have two sets of rules. My sister and father were married within the church a long time ago. That's why I wrote it. Sort of hard to argue the truth. My siblings were at the wedding of their sister at the church.It didn't happen to anyone unless you and your mother were marrying divorced people. That's a valid reason. If so. you still lied by not saying the real reason.

I think it is entirely possible that different churches might have different "unofficial" rules. Look at Francis - he isn't typical, and conservative Catholics at the highest level aren't his biggest fans. There are different beliefs within the church or rather different levels of certain beliefs and a different interpretation of doctrine.

Even though I grew up Canada, it is inconceivable that a Catholic church would marry a non-Catholic to a Catholic individual in the church (my mother is a Roman Catholic and it is the dominant Christian religion in Canada). That does not mean that you or Abby is lying. If there are factions at the highest level (which is normal for any institution), then it wouldn't be all that surprising if there are some churches and priests who do not follow the doctrine of the church regarding the marriage of non-Catholics. My mother is a Roman Catholic, for what it is worth.

Abby08
04-02-2019, 11:06 PM

The real reason? According to you? Because it didn't happen to your, whomever, it's a lie?

Maybe, I think you're the one who's lying? Yeah, lying as to not have the Catholic Church look bad.

You're just as bad as JAP, calling me a liar, because, you don't agree with what I said.

It happened, sorry if I've sullied your view of the Catholic Church.... I would have been married in the church of my faith, had they let me....dontcha think?

Furthermore, don't try and tell ME what my family circumstances must have been...my mom was getting married for the FIRST time, right after high school, she wasn't divorced.

You know what? How dare you...I don't give a shit about your sister, or, your personal family experiences with the church, I didn't experience the same, I was told, flat out, my husband to be would have to take Catholic instruction to get married in their Church....my dad was told the same...they both declined.

Abby08
04-02-2019, 11:19 PM
I think it is entirely possible that different churches might have different "unofficial" rules. Look at Francis - he isn't typical, and conservative Catholics at the highest level aren't his biggest fans. There are different beliefs within the church or rather different levels of certain beliefs and a different interpretation of doctrine.

Even though I grew up Canada, it is inconceivable that a Catholic church would marry a non-Catholic to a Catholic individual in the church (my mother is a Roman Catholic and it is the dominant Christian religion in Canada). That does not mean that you or Abby is lying. If there are factions at the highest level (which is normal for any institution), then it wouldn't be all that surprising if there are some churches and priests who do not follow the doctrine of the church regarding the marriage of non-Catholics. My mother is a Roman Catholic, for what it is worth.

We spoke to just one priest, the priest at the church my grandmother was a member.

After being told, no, my to be husband and I both decided we didn't want to be married in such a snobby church.

My mom had friends who are Baptists and, offered their Church...we accepted.

Better choice, nice, friendly people, compared to stuck up, up tight people who claimed to be christians.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 09:45 AM
What's funny about it? The Pope says those things, while protected behind a huge ass wall.

Do you think that wall exists to keep people out or in anymore?

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 09:49 AM
China shouldn’t have an opinion on illegal immigration or the use of walls because they haven’t torn down the Great Wall of China...

Abby08
04-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Yes.... otherwise, why would people have them or, want them? To keep whatever you want kept in, in.... whatever you want kept out, out.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Yes.... otherwise, why would people have them or, want them? To keep whatever you want kept in, in.... whatever you want kept out, out.

It was built 1200 years ago to keep out pirates...

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 10:06 AM
It funnels people to security checkpoints.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 10:12 AM
It funnels people to security checkpoints.
So do movie theatre rope barriers.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Bad analogy.

Abby08
04-04-2019, 10:37 AM
It was built 1200 years ago to keep out pirates...

And, did it work?

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Bad analogy.
Yes. Saying the Pope should shut up about a wall because there exists one around the Vatican is a bad analogy.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:09 AM
And, did it work?
It didn’t hurt.

MisterVeritis
04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Yes. Saying the Pope should shut up about a wall because there exists one around the Vatican is a bad analogy.
No. It isn't. The idiot pope claims walls are bad while he lives behind a huge wall.

MisterVeritis
04-04-2019, 11:35 AM
It didn’t hurt.
So walls work? Imagine that.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:37 AM
No. It isn't. The idiot pope claims walls are bad while he lives behind a huge wall.
That was built 1200 years ago. It’s a landmark. Nothing more.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:38 AM
So walls work? Imagine that.
Sure. Otherwise there wouldn’t be walls anywhere.

MisterVeritis
04-04-2019, 11:39 AM
That was built 1200 years ago. It’s a landmark. Nothing more.
It is a wall. Nothing more.

MisterVeritis
04-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Sure. Otherwise there wouldn’t be walls anywhere.
So let's build our effective wall, defend it and stop the invasion.

Or, let's kill the invaders at the border. They will stop coming.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:42 AM
It is a wall. Nothing more.

It’s historical significance disagrees with you.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:44 AM
So let's build our effective wall, defend it and stop the invasion.

Or, let's kill the invaders at the border. They will stop coming.
The first is plausible but won’t stop the “invasion”.

The second is a ridiculous notion only a sociopath would suggest.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Or just ignore the noise and build the wall on our southern border.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Or just ignore the noise and build the wall on our southern border.

It wont stop illegal immigration so it’s really just noise in and of itself.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 12:00 PM
It wont stop illegal immigration so it’s really just noise in and of itself.

Incorrect.

Like I said, ignore the noise and build it.

Captdon
04-04-2019, 12:08 PM

This is nonsense. Church law applies everywhere. The only way the Church would refuse to marry a couple is if one was divorced. (Yes, not to child or a dog) Priests don't have the power you think they do.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Incorrect.

Like I said, ignore the noise and build it.

Have the walls that are in place currently stopped illegal immigration?

Captdon
04-04-2019, 12:17 PM
The real reason? According to you? Because it didn't happen to your, whomever, it's a lie?

Maybe, I think you're the one who's lying? Yeah, lying as to not have the Catholic Church look bad.

You're just as bad as JAP, calling me a liar, because, you don't agree with what I said.

It happened, sorry if I've sullied your view of the Catholic Church.... I would have been married in the church of my faith, had they let me....dontcha think?

Furthermore, don't try and tell ME what my family circumstances must have been...my mom was getting married for the FIRST time, right after high school, she wasn't divorced.

You know what? How dare you...I don't give a $#@! about your sister, or, your personal family experiences with the church, I didn't experience the same, I was told, flat out, my husband to be would have to take Catholic instruction to get married in their Church....my dad was told the same...they both declined.

I know Church law. A Catholic can marry a non-Catholic as long as there is no divorced person. It has nothing to do with just my family. I used them as examples of how wrong you are. I don't believe a word of what you wrote. It is not the truth. You quit the Church for whatever reason and will now lie to attack it. I didn't say a thing about your or your mother being divorced. I did say it is a lie to say there was any other reason than a divorce.

Lady, I don't give a damn about you or your anti-Catholic feeling. I do care about my church. You got caught and it's my fault?

Captdon
04-04-2019, 12:19 PM

It is an antique part of the Vatican. It doesn't signify anything.

Captdon
04-04-2019, 12:22 PM

My yard has a wall. I don't say the wall is good because of that. My wall is not going to stop anyone and neither is the Vatican wall. It is tradition just like all those rebel statues you worry about.

Captdon
04-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Yes, where they are.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 12:29 PM
It is an antique part of the Vatican. It doesn't signify anything.
Agreed

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 12:29 PM
They greatly reduce it where they are located.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Yes, where they are.
Factually inaccurate.

Private Pickle
04-04-2019, 12:30 PM
They greatly reduce it where they are located.
Debatable.

Abby08
04-04-2019, 12:36 PM
I know Church law. A Catholic can marry a non-Catholic as long as there is no divorced person. It has nothing to do with just my family. I used them as examples of how wrong you are. I don't believe a word of what you wrote. It is not the truth. You quit the Church for whatever reason and will now lie to attack it. I didn't say a thing about your or your mother being divorced. I did say it is a lie to say there was any other reason than a divorce.

Lady, I don't give a damn about you or your anti-Catholic feeling. I do care about my church. You got caught and it's my fault?

What exactly, did I get caught doing? According to you, that is? Telling the truth, a truth you don't want to hear? Because, that's how it happened and, I don't give a rat's ass if you don't believe it...were you there? Did you hear the conversation? No, on both, so shut your pie hole and accept there is something about the Catholic Church you never knew.

It was about, not marrying someone, in their Church, who didn't know about the religion, it's origins and such, which is the reason they ask the person to take Catholic instruction....it was as simple as that....so stick that, in your, "I know everything about the Catholic Church' ear, you jerk.