PDA

View Full Version : Administration and Dems- time to increase the gas tax

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Administration and Dems- time to increase the gas tax (https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article228794204.html)

This Administration is not fiscally conservative.

The Trump administration and congressional Democrats have found something they agree on — and it could mean higher taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel.

Last week, President Donald Trump’s transportation secretary, Elaine Chao, told senators that a gas tax hike was on the table when asked whether the White House would support such a move.

And this week, Democrats are indicating that they too are ready to consider a tax increase — an effort that would fund publicly popular infrastructure improvements but has hit a hard wall of opposition for years from fiscal conservatives and advocates for low-income people alike.

“I don’t think it should be off the table,” Rep. Pramila Jayapal (https://jayapal.house.gov/), a Washington Democrat and co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told McClatchy when asked about the prospect of the increase. The caucus has taken no formal position.

Read more here: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article228794204.html#storylink=cpy

Sergeant Gleed
04-04-2019, 10:56 AM
No gas tax.

Tax spanish.

Collateral Damage
04-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Administration and Dems- time to increase the gas tax (https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article228794204.html)
I'm not sure ANY administration has actually been 'fiscally conservative', at least by my measurement.

Adding another tax on freight movement is just a first step in inflation.... virtually nothing happens without freight movement. The only winners on inflation are the taxing authorities.

Captdon
04-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Bad idea.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure ANY administration has actually been 'fiscally conservative', at least by my measurement.

Adding another tax on freight movement is just a first step in inflation.... virtually nothing happens without freight movement. The only winners on inflation are the taxing authorities.
Taxing diesel is a sneak-tax. Too many Americans fail to notice how far that reaches. They think I don't use diesel and move on with their lives.

MMC
04-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Oh they haven't done it already. Gas in Chicago is now over 3 dollars. *&((^#&@( http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/New_Smilies/mad.gif

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 11:43 AM
I pay $2.99 here, although I can go to other stations and save about $.30 a gallon.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Oh they haven't done it already. Gas in Chicago is now over 3 dollars. *&((^#&@( http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/New_Smilies/mad.gif

Oh, the OP is about a federal gas tax. That would be in addition to local gas taxes.

MMC
04-04-2019, 11:48 AM
I pay $2.99 here, although I can go to other stations and save about $.30 a gallon.

Yeah I am by the border so I go into Indiana, and save like 50 cents.

MMC
04-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Oh, the OP is about a federal gas tax. That would be in addition to local gas taxes.
Chicago's is 68 cents.(all included) Plus the Demos here want to raise it again after already having the highest gas tax in the Country.

Gotta understand Demos want to live high on the hog.

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Ohio just passed a 10.5 cent increase, more on diesel. Our roads and bridges are for shit. Somebody needs to pay to have them fixed.

Peter1469
04-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Ohio just passed a 10.5 cent increase, more on diesel. Our roads and bridges are for shit. Somebody needs to pay to have them fixed.
Diesel is a "good" way to sneak it in. The prices of everything moved by truck goes up and everyone pays it, not just trucking companies.

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Diesel is a "good" way to sneak it in. The prices of everything moved by truck goes up and everyone pays it, not just trucking companies.
Yep. This has been a hotly debated issue in Ohio over the past couple of months. Our new Govenor wanted a 28 cent hike.

Collateral Damage
04-04-2019, 12:21 PM
They raised the gas/diesel tax by 12 cents per gallon here about a year ago, but tried to salve their conscious by reducing the tax on certain groceries.

Brilliant! Prices on all products shipped locally went up, along with the groceries.....

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 01:38 PM
They raised the gas/diesel tax by 12 cents per gallon here about a year ago, but tried to salve their conscious by reducing the tax on certain groceries.

Brilliant! Prices on all products shipped locally went up, along with the groceries.....

That would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Collateral Damage
04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
That would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Bingo! Of course, the increase was supposed to help pay for road improvements. Which we were already paying for in the LAST fuel tax increase......

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Bingo! Of course, the increase was supposed to help pay for road improvements. Which we were already paying for in the LAST fuel tax increase......

Things in the future cost more. In Ohio its been something like 10 or 15 years since the last gas tax hike. The Governors proposed 28 cent hike would have covered the present need which reflects many years of neglect from our state legislature.

Collateral Damage
04-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Things in the future cost more. In Ohio its been something like 10 or 15 years since the last gas tax hike. The Governors proposed 28 cent hike would have covered the present need which reflects many years of neglect from our state legislature.
Of course things get more expensive... but the repairs with the previous money never seemed to get done, so where did that money go? Pooof…

I'm thinking more and more about riding a horse to work.

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Of course things get more expensive... but the repairs with the previous money never seemed to get done, so where did that money go? Pooof…

Oh, I misunderstood. A lot of people complain about the gas tax but the other day I hit a mega pothole. $250.00 to replace a tire. Very many of those and a gas tax to repair roads will seem cheap.

jimmyz
04-04-2019, 04:02 PM
I am fortunate here in that Arizona's climate is road friendly and we have no rivers needing bridges other than the Colorado and in that we share responsibility with Nevada, another no ice/winter border state.

But don't move here Dems!! Cons welcome though, and folks like Peter1969. :wink:

Collateral Damage
04-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Oh, I misunderstood. A lot of people complain about the gas tax but the other day I hit a mega pothole. $250.00 to replace a tire. Very many of those and a gas tax to repair roads will seem cheap.
Ouch. The weird winter weather got us here, I actually saw 8, count 'em, 8 cars pulled over on the east bound side of I-40 because of flats from the car eating pot holes. I don't know if the state DOT has any responsibility for the damage from those crevasses....

ripmeister
04-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Ouch. The weird winter weather got us here, I actually saw 8, count 'em, 8 cars pulled over on the east bound side of I-40 because of flats from the car eating pot holes. I don't know if the state DOT has any responsibility for the damage from those crevasses....
They don't in Ohio.

Luther
04-05-2019, 02:57 AM

The Trump administration and congressional Democrats have found something they agree on
I remeber so well all the Trumpers telling me that he's not conservative

Agreed!

Be careful what you wish for

Luther
04-05-2019, 04:12 AM

So what's a so called conservative like you doing living in Chitcago?

Only because you mentioned Chitcago

donttread
04-05-2019, 06:53 AM

ANYTHING but cut spending across the board.

MMC
04-05-2019, 07:12 AM
So what's a so called conservative like you doing living in Chitcago?

Only because you mentioned Chitcago

You mean ChIraq…..somebody has to go behind enemy lines. :wink:

countryboy
04-05-2019, 07:13 AM
Ohio just passed a 10.5 cent increase, more on diesel. Our roads and bridges are for $#@!. Somebody needs to pay to have them fixed.
This money will be pissed away, I'm not surprised you support this. Liberals always support policies that hurt the poor.

countryboy
04-05-2019, 07:16 AM

For some reason, libs think doing the same thing over and over will produce difference results. There's a term for that. Don't tell me, it's on the tip of my tongue.

countryboy
04-05-2019, 07:18 AM
What makes you think higher taxes on the poor will fix that pothole? Why didn't they fix it right the first time? Why is there a pothole to begin with? Because they never actually fix the roads, they poorly maintain them, by design. Job security.

Hey, I have an idea, let's put these people in charge of our healthcare.

Collateral Damage
04-05-2019, 07:58 AM
What makes you think higher taxes on the poor will fix that pothole? Why didn't they fix it right the first time? Why is there a pothole to begin with? Because they never actually fix the roads, they poorly maintain them, by design. Job security.

Stop that. I now have to clean coffee out of my keyboard....

ripmeister
04-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Divorced from reality much?