PDA

View Full Version : Trump Threatens Car Tarrifs With Mexico

Luther
04-05-2019, 03:10 AM
So..... after Trump caved on the shutting down the old border, this is his NEW threat

If he imposes tariffs on Mexico, will he have to bail out those effected by the tariffs like he did with the Farmers(Welfare)?

President Donald Trump on Thursday threatened to impose tariffs on car imports from Mexico unless it does more to stop illegal migrants and drug trafficking, his latest warning to America's southern neighbor to tighten border security.After backing away from a threat this week to immediately shut the border to stop a surge of migrants from Central America, Trump raised the specter of a 25-percent tariff on cars as a possible tool he could use to force Mexico to halt illegal immigration and drugs.

"Before we close the border we'll put the tariffs on the cars. I don't think we'll ever have to close the border because the penalty of tariffs on cars coming into the United States from Mexico at 25 percent will be massive," Trump told reporters at the White House.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/trump-threatens-car-import/2019/04/04/id/910257/

Common
04-05-2019, 04:38 AM
Good, car companies shouldnt be manufacturing in mexico in the first place, mexicans dont keep their companies afloat buying cars WE DO.

Thats why I buy none of the supposed american brands anymore. GM, Ford especially can kiss my rump,

Cannons Front
04-05-2019, 05:59 AM
Good car companies shouldnt be manufacturing in mexico in the first place, mexicans dont keep their country afloat buying cars WE DO.
Thats why I buy none of the supposed american brands anymore. GM, Ford especially can kiss my rump,
I don't think many people realize who many "American" Made cars are not made in America. Our Accord was built in Ohio, Odyssey was built in GA and my Tundra is built in CA, all three are more American than much of the big 3 lineup, they were all built by US employees.

Luther
04-05-2019, 06:21 AM
I don't think many people realize who many "American" Made cars are not made in America. Our Accord was built in Ohio, Odyssey was built in GA and my Tundra is built in CA, all three are more American than much of the big 3 lineup, they were all built by US employees.

Or how many so called American cars that are built here have foreign parts?

DGUtley
04-05-2019, 06:25 AM
I thought that the new N.A. agreement prevented these tariffs?

Luther
04-05-2019, 06:30 AM
I thought that the new N.A. agreement prevented these tariffs?

Which hasn't been approved by the senate?

DGUtley
04-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Which hasn't been approved by the senate?

Good point. Was it a treaty or an agreement?

alexa
04-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Good point. Was it a treaty or an agreement?

Does it matter?

He won't follow through anyway.

donttread
04-05-2019, 06:40 AM
So..... after Trump caved on the shutting down the old border, this is his NEW threat

If he imposes tariffs on Mexico, will he have to bail out those effected by the tariffs like he did with the Farmers(Welfare)?

https://www.newsmax.com/us/trump-threatens-car-import/2019/04/04/id/910257/

1) Drug trafficking is what it is. It is done legally right here in America by many companies, family wine making operations and bars as well as big tobacco and their outlets. Forget prohibition Donald. Hint: It NEVER worked!
2) What we need from car companies running factories in Mexico (I wonder who they are?) is better wages. This would decrease the willingness for illegal immigrants to take the risk to come here.
3) If however, the companies remain too greedy to increase wages, tariffs will likely mean layoffs and MORE illegal immigrants
4) Best solution : Maybe sanction whole international companies who refuse to pay better wages and keep contributing to the problem? If a corporation is a person then it is responsible for it's actions anywhere in the world.

DGUtley
04-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Does it matter? He won't follow through anyway.

Legally it matters. We've had this discussion on here several times.

alexa
04-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Legally it matters. We've had this discussion on here several times.
Yes, legality is a watchword of the Trump administration, along with consistency.

lol

DGUtley
04-05-2019, 06:51 AM
Yes, legality is a watchword of the Trump administration, along with consistency. lol

I don't know what's funny about following the law, but ok.

MMC
04-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Trump knows putting tariffs on cars coming from Mexico wont work. Even Repubs have told him.

Of course the Leftness doesn't want Trump to address any issue, either. They would rather have him say nothing, and doing nothing. As they want open borders and are Desperate for voters.

At least Trump got Mexico to cave and to do something. After they said they wouldn't react to Trump's threat. Naturally Mexico should do more. But they know they can play with the issue since Democrats are all for illegal immigration and want illegals to vote, and give Sanctuary to illegals.

donttread
04-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Trump knows putting tariffs on cars coming from Mexico wont work. Even Repubs have told him.

Of course the Leftness doesn't want Trump to address any issue, either. They would rather have him say nothing, and doing nothing. As they want open borders and are Desperate for voters.

At least Trump got Mexico to cave and to do something. After they said they wouldn't react to Trump's threat. Naturally Mexico should do more. But they know they can play with the issue since Democrats are all for illegal immigration and want illegals to vote, and give Sanctuary to illegals.

He is a rich kid/business tycoon very used to getting his way. So perhaps he just needs to beat his chest for a while when that doesn't happen?

MMC
04-05-2019, 08:28 AM
He is a rich kid/business tycoon very used to getting his way. So perhaps he just needs to beat his chest for a while when that doesn't happen?

Do the smart thing.....Blame Democrats. Blame Mexico. By then it will be election time.

Bo-4
04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Of course the Leftness doesn't want Trump to address any issue, either. They would rather have him say nothing, and doing nothing.
Correct - If Donald Trump would say nothing and do nothing for an entire week, we would be better off as a nation.

MMC
04-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Correct - If Donald Trump would say nothing and do nothing for an entire week, we would be better off as a nation.

Well if we went by that standard. We could solve the Country's major problems by getting rid of leftists. Its not like they are good for anything. Nor worth saving.

Oh awww-ight. Maybe their women. At least they don't want to have kids or start up families.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Trump Threatens Car Tarrifs With Mexico
That seems appropriate.

alexa
04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Appropriately stupid.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Whatever you think of the tactics, the game is over. We have struck the iceberg. We will sink. The nation and liberty are both perishing before our eyes.

alexa
04-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes, legality is a watchword of the Trump administration, along with consistency.

lol

What's hilarious is the notion that Trump follows the law.

Both countries negotiated quotas with the Trump administration that would shield a certain amount of their auto exports from any new duties Trump could impose on national security grounds. In Mexico's case, the U.S. agreed to exclude (https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/agreements/FTA/USMCA/Text/MX-US_Side_Letter_on_232.pdf) 2.6 million passenger cars, all light trucks and $108 billion in auto parts trade from any national security tariffs.
That agreement, which came in the form of a side letter to the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, is already in force (https://subscriber.politicopro.com/agriculture/whiteboard/2019/04/mexican-official-mexico-isnt-concerned-trump-will-slap-auto-tariffs-3019449), even though none of the three nations have approved the NAFTA replacement.

Trump said on Friday he would not be constrained by the side agreement if he feels Mexico has not done enough to restrict illegal border crossings.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/05/trump-says-mexico-tariff-threat-supersedes-nafta-3022835

I'll await your fervid defense and/or meaningless pro forma condemnation of this with quiet amusement.

Don29palms
04-05-2019, 12:22 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/05/trump-says-mexico-tariff-threat-supersedes-nafta-3022835

I'll await your fervid defense and/or meaningless pro forma condemnation of this with quiet amusement.

Do you vacation in Hell? Hell would be paradise compared to the land of make believe you live in.

nathanbforrest45
04-05-2019, 12:36 PM

snark snark spew spew gurgle gurgle

Sergeant Gleed
04-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Well if we went by that standard. We could solve the Country's major problems by getting rid of leftists. Its not like they are good for anything. Nor worth saving.

Oh awww-ight. Maybe their women. At least they don't want to have kids or start up families.

Only if you're allowed to remove their vocal cords.

alexa
04-05-2019, 01:24 PM
snark snark spew spew gurgle gurgle
That's the most intelligent post you've ever made, by far.

alexa
04-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Do you vacation in Hell? Hell would be paradise compared to the land of make believe you live in.

They told you the brown acid was no good, but you just wouldn't listen, would you?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
If all elected officials said and did nothing for one week, everyone would benefit.

Abby08
04-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Why in the hell, doesn't Trump just cut off everything that goes to Mexico, from the U.S? Including monatary aid?

Then, seal the border we share with them and, start rounding up and deporting their exports, after, all western union payments to Mexico, are stopped.

Make them take care of their own damn people.

Common Sense
04-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Why in the hell, doesn't Trump just cut off everything that goes to Mexico, from the U.S? Including monatary aid?

Then, seal the border we share with them and, start rounding up and deporting their exports, after, all western union payments to Mexico, are stopped.

Make them take care of their own damn people.

That would cost thousands and thousands of American jobs. Literally millions of American jobs depend on exporting to Mexico. Millions more on exports to Canada.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nearly-5-million-us-jobs-depend-on-mexico-2017-01-27

ripmeister
04-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Including all the parts?

Common Sense
04-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Technically the term "America" means the land mass in the Western Hemisphere consisting of North, South and Central America.

Abby08
04-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Technically the term "America" means the land mass in the Western Hemisphere consisting of North, South and Central America.

But, put the words...'United States', before the words...'of America,' and, it becomes clear the person is speaking of THIS country.

Common Sense
04-05-2019, 04:13 PM
But, put the words...'United States', before the words...'of America,' and, it becomes clear the person is speaking of THIS country.

Of course.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Please. Everyone knows what is meant by "made in America". Don't be intentionally dense.

Common Sense
04-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Please. Everyone knows what is meant by "made in America". Don't be intentionally dense.
Lol...I understand that. I'm just saying that technically the term isn't specific to the US. There are other countries in the Americas.

...but it would be disingenuous to label something "made in America" if it wasn't made in the USA.

nathanbforrest45
04-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Lol...I understand that. I'm just saying that technically the term isn't specific to the US. There are other countries in the Americas.

...but it would be disingenuous to label something "made in America" if it wasn't made in the USA.
Yet you constantly remind us that there are more countries in The Americas than just the US, attempting to down play the fact the United States of America is the only worth a damn.

donttread
04-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Do the smart thing.....Blame Democrats. Blame Mexico. By then it will be election time.

Or show America that you really are different and hot the mega corps with some tough talk.

Common Sense
04-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Yet you constantly remind us that there are more countries in The Americas than just the US, attempting to down play the fact the United States of America is the only worth a damn.

Lol...I do?

donttread
04-05-2019, 05:37 PM

What "United States"? Wouldn't that require SOME LEVEL of state autonomy?

MMC
04-06-2019, 06:22 AM
Or show America that you really are different and hot the mega corps with some tough talk.

Cmon now.....stick to the Basics. :wink:

Luther
04-06-2019, 07:19 AM
1) Drug trafficking is what it is. It is done legally right here in America by many companies, family wine making operations and bars as well as big tobacco and their outlets. Forget prohibition Donald. Hint: It NEVER worked!
2) What we need from car companies running factories in Mexico (I wonder who they are?) is better wages. This would decrease the willingness for illegal immigrants to take the risk to come here.
3) If however, the companies remain too greedy to increase wages, tariffs will likely mean layoffs and MORE illegal immigrants
4) Best solution : Maybe sanction whole international companies who refuse to pay better wages and keep contributing to the problem? If a corporation is a person then it is responsible for it's actions anywhere in the world.

What we need from car companies running factories in Mexico (I wonder who they are?) is better wages. This would decrease the willingness for illegal immigrants to take the risk to come here.

But.... Mexicans aren't the ones coming here so much.

It's central Americans

Mexico isn't the same Mexico that we're use to hearing about

Did you know that during the great recession that Mexico's economy was growing at a faster rate than our?

There's change there

Mini Me
04-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Its funny because Trump doesn't follow the law! Actually, that is not funny!

https://www.arcamax.com/newspics/cache/lw600/171/17128/1712854.jpg

Common
04-06-2019, 11:30 AM
GOOD!!!! put tariffs on ALL autos made in mexico. I have no feelings whatsoever for our car companies that moved to mexico for dirt cheap labor then expect us to buy them. I havent and will not buy a GM or Ford vehicle again.

Every japanese auto maker and now the Koreans make cars in the USA and didnt run to mexico

donttread
04-06-2019, 11:39 AM
But.... Mexicans aren't the ones coming here so much.

It's central Americans

Mexico isn't the same Mexico that we're use to hearing about

Did you know that during the great recession that Mexico's economy was growing at a faster rate than our?

There's change there

I did not know and that is good to hear. That change would not appear to be coming from Ford's wages but as long as change is happening that is the best solution. So what you are saying then is that trump wants to hold Mexico responsible for not being able to stop people from illegally cross it's borders? That's rich!

Don29palms
04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Its funny because Trump doesn't follow the law! Actually, that is not funny!

https://www.arcamax.com/newspics/cache/lw600/171/17128/1712854.jpg

That's horrible to say. Where's your evidence?

Tahuyaman
04-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Does it matter?

He won't follow through anyway.
When has he given anyone the impression he's not serious about imposing tariffs?

Common Sense
04-06-2019, 09:26 PM
The problem with these tariffs and the current tariffs on some Chinese products, is that they may have an effect on imports, but the vast majority of these goods are still being imported...except now they've more expensive for the American consumer.

Tariffs on Mexican vehicles isn't going to make Mexico make policy changes with regards to immigration. It may make some consumers buy American made vehicles, but it won't have a huge impact. Essentially it will be a tax that Americans will pay and not Mexicans. Maybe they can use the money to build his fence.

Tahuyaman
04-06-2019, 11:08 PM
The problem with these tariffs and the current tariffs on some Chinese products, is that they may have an effect on imports, but the vast majority of these goods are still being imported...except now they've more expensive for the American consumer.

Tariffs on Mexican vehicles isn't going to make Mexico make policy changes with regards to immigration. It may make some consumers buy American made vehicles, but it won't have a huge impact. Essentially it will be a tax that Americans will pay and not Mexicans. Maybe they can use the money to build his fence.
Tariffs often force changes in policy. You've got to quit thinking like a partisan.

Common Sense
04-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Tariffs often force changes in policy. You've got to quit thinking like a partisan.

It's not partisanship that forms my opinion on tariffs.

Certainly tariffs can force policy changes, but often at a price to both parties. Tariffs make sense when trying to balance trade disparities or unfair economic practices. Using them as punitive measure in order to force changes completely unrelated to the tariffs themselves is a hostile tactic.

We're all biased to one degree or another. I am and you clearly are as well. So spare me the accusations of partisanship when you yourself are just as much, if not more guilty of partisan politics.

Tahuyaman
04-06-2019, 11:52 PM
It's not partisanship that forms my opinion on tariffs.

Certainly tariffs can force policy changes, but often at a price to both parties. Tariffs make sense when trying to balance trade disparities or unfair economic practices. Using them as punitive measure in order to force changes completely unrelated to the tariffs themselves is a hostile tactic.

We're all biased to one degree or another. I am and you clearly are as well. So spare me the accusations of partisanship when you yourself are just as much, if not more guilty of partisan politics.
You have a different view on tariffs imposed by Trump. You view everything differently when Trump is involved.

Common Sense
04-07-2019, 12:05 AM
You have a different view on tariffs imposed by Trump. You view everything differently when Trump is involved.
That's your assumption. I don't base my argument that tariffs punish the consumers of the country that implements the tariffs on my opinions of Trump. I believe that because it's a fact.

Frankly, I believe you support and defend some of these positions not based on their merits, but rather on supporting Trump and opposing his detractors. You constantly accuse me of irrational partisanship...and certainly I do have biases like we all do, but you fail to acknowledge your own glaring partisanship that hinders your ability to reason.

Tahuyaman
04-07-2019, 01:22 AM
That's your assumption. I don't base my argument that tariffs punish the consumers of the country that implements the tariffs on my opinions of Trump. I believe that because it's a fact.

Frankly, I believe you support and defend some of these positions not based on their merits, but rather on supporting Trump and opposing his detractors. You constantly accuse me of irrational partisanship...and certainly I do have biases like we all do, but you fail to acknowledge your own glaring partisanship that hinders your ability to reason.
TDS is a powerful disorder