PDA

View Full Version : There Is No 'Surge' in Right-Wing Violence

Common
04-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Washington Post "analysis" of domestic terrorism argues that attacks from white supremacists and other "far-right attackers" have been on the rise since Barack Obama's presidency and "surged since President Trump took office." It's a familiar storyline meant to assure liberals that yes, Trump-motivated right-wing terrorists are running wild. There are, however, a few problems with this proposition.

For one thing, even if we accept the numbers the Post offers, the use of the word "surge" -- meaning a sudden, powerful forward or upward movement -- strains credibility. There's no evidence of a "surge," either in historical context or as a matter of ideological preference.

That is to say, we have good reason not to accept the numbers. According to The Washington Post, which relies on Global Terrorism Database data, there were zero acts of right-wing terrorism in the entire nation in 2002. Since then, we have seen a "surge," to 36 in a nation of 325-plus million people in 2017. Among those acts, there were 11 fatalities.

In other words, fewer homicides were committed by political terrorists of any stripe in the United States in 2017 than were committed by undocumented immigrants in the state of Texas alone -- which, I am assured, is an incredibly low number that shouldn't worry us very much. If one of these "surges" is scaremongering, why not the other?

Then again, even if we use the criteria offered by the GTD, we need to be exceptionally generous to even get to 36 incidents of right-wing violence in 2017. (I could find only 32.)

For example, although the Post acknowledges that the Las Vegas shooter's motivations are still unknown, the GTD had no problem categorizing the murderer of 58 people as an "anti-government extremist." And it takes these sorts of assumptions to get in the vicinity of a "surge" in right-wing terrorism.

Of the 32 incidents I was able to find, 12 featured perpetrators who were merely "suspected" of being right-wing terrorists. Some of these incidents could have been the work of one person, as in the pellet gun shootings of Muslims in New York. In other incidents, we are asked to treat patently insane people as if they had coherent political agendas.

Still other events are even more opaque. In San Juan, Puerto Rico -- apparently a hotbed of white supremacy -- an incendiary device was thrown into a gay nightclub. No one was injured, thank goodness. Also, no one was caught, and no one claimed responsibility for the act. Yet the episode doesn't even earn a "suspected" designation from GTD.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/11/30/there_is_no_surge_in_right-wing_violence_138791.html

HawkTheSlayer
04-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Damn! You better combine this thread with Strange loves thread. LOL.

Hes sinking hard now.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/107962-FBI-director-says-white-supremacy-is-a-threat

HawkTheSlayer
04-05-2019, 06:54 PM
The fact of the matter is , Wray condemned all terrorism including black and Islamic.

Common
04-06-2019, 05:57 AM
Its just the lefts continued assault to denigrate white men

MMC
04-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Amazing how WAPO isn't considered a threat to the intelligent people in the country.

alexa
04-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Amazing how WAPO isn't considered a threat to the intelligent people in the country.
It's definitely not a threat to you.

nathanbforrest45
04-06-2019, 10:39 AM

snark snark, snarl snarl drool drool

Lummy
04-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Reported. Mods have infracted me for weeks on far less effrontry.

Mini Me
04-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Damn! You better combine this thread with Strange loves thread. LOL.

Hes sinking hard now.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/107962-FBI-director-says-white-supremacy-is-a-threat
I will stand tall and proud with my FBI statistics!

While your herd cowers and lies about it!https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3VUWMxXoAECxlj.jpg

Common
04-06-2019, 11:32 AM
I will stand tall and proud with my FBI statistics!

While your herd cowers and lies about it!https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3VUWMxXoAECxlj.jpg

WAPO is full of shit and one of the lets degrade white men publications F them.

Peter1469
04-06-2019, 01:10 PM
That they do this is bad enough. Worse, they try to link nationalism to it. The Globalists are getting desperate as more and more people say no to cultural globalism.

Orion Rules
04-06-2019, 01:20 PM
The politicians wish to keep discussing b.s., while deflecting any responsibility for the present state of nations insecure, while the facts are a civil war is in the making after so many times of electing incompetent leaders who made fake promises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCI8K-4c1E

Mini Me
04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
We didn't have this problem before! Before Trump and the regressive GOP.

He has made HATE and BIGOTRY and VIOLENCE acceptable!

Mini Me
04-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Mister D
04-06-2019, 02:15 PM

This is a great example of why you people are hard to take seriously.

Lummy
04-06-2019, 02:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCI8K-4c1E

I disagree with this analysis as to the "whys", but I think they're correct that the rift probably can't be healed. Nobody wants to agree on anything anymore.

Enter Jesus ... ???

roadmaster
04-06-2019, 03:12 PM
The left has been attacking Trump supporters ever since Trump announced he was running. It's only a matter of time when the police stand down that they will take the law into their own hands.

roadmaster
04-06-2019, 03:25 PM
What makes me sick about R's many of them is when a R fights back you try to distance yourself from him or her. A left got away with taking a lock in a sock hitting 8 people over the head and got probation only, they have been ganging up on old people beating them up in parking garages, pushing, punching, grabbing their hats, threating them, cutting tires and breaking windshields and let one of them fight back, "oh that person is not one of us".

Common Sense
04-06-2019, 03:42 PM
The left has been attacking Trump supporters ever since Trump announced he was running. It's only a matter of time when the police stand down that they will take the law into their own hands.

Lol...that's a little dramatic, don't you think?

roadmaster
04-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Lol...that's a little dramatic, don't you think? No it's been time to protect ourselves and fight back. The left has no right to hit, spit, carry bats, throw piss and feces while the right takes it. I don't advocate violence but I believe in self defense.

Common Sense
04-06-2019, 04:03 PM
No it's been time to protect ourselves and fight back. The left has no right to hit, spit, carry bats, throw piss and feces while the right takes it. I don't advocate violence but I believe in self defense.
Ok...

Ransom
04-06-2019, 04:13 PM
This is a great example of why you people are hard to take seriously.

And easy to place on ignore.

Mister D
04-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Lol...that's a little dramatic, don't you think?

As dramatic as the "white nationalists are comin' to gitcha!"?

MMC
04-06-2019, 04:52 PM

Try reading history. Give it a shot. Just sayin.

Peter1469
04-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Double extreme TDS